2017-2018 LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe they already sent out interview invites, though I know they did around the same time last year. I only sent in my secondary about a week ago, but here's hoping. Good luck to everyone interviewing soon.

Reactions: 1 users
For the people with interview invites, do you have your Letters of Recs submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
II

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also got an II this morning! Submitted on 6/23.

Reactions: 1 user
Who's gonna be interview around 7/14? Want to say hi? :clap:

AACOMAS verified on 6/27 and haven't gotten a secondary or any other email yet...is there some kind of screen for secondaries that I'm not clearing?

AACOMAS verified on 6/27 and haven't gotten a secondary or any other email yet...is there some kind of screen for secondaries that I'm not clearing?

I think you're fine. My app was submitted on 6/18 and I didn't get a confirmation email/secondary from them until 6/30. Just keep checking your spam folders in the meantime

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the ratio between interviews and acceptances at this school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone have any information about Erie v Seton Hill? Or any current students on SDN want to comment on their preference and why? I want to submit my app but I also don't want to make a rash decision on campus preference if maybe I would like the other better. Tried searching the LECOM website but it really isn't very user friendly... or I am just totally missing something could be either lol.

edit after some more digging I found: Our Communities - LECOM Education System
for anyone else with the same questions.

Last edited:
Anyone have any information about Erie v Seton Hill? Or any current students on SDN want to comment on their preference and why? I want to submit my app but I also don't want to make a rash decision on campus preference if maybe I would like the other better. Tried searching the LECOM website but it really isn't very user friendly... or I am just totally missing something could be either lol.

Seton Hill is PBL only

Seton Hill is PBL only

I know I have researched the pathways pretty well and think PBL is the pathway I would choose vs the others. Since we have to give a decision on the pathway we want in interview I figured I should at least know that part haha. But since both have the pathway Im considering I'm a little torn.

I know I have researched the pathways pretty well and think PBL is the pathway I would choose vs the others. Since we have to give a decision on the pathway we want in interview I figured I should at least know that part haha. But since both have the pathway Im considering I'm a little torn.

Erie is the main campus and has the option, so I went with Erie if that helps.

Just kind of a general question, I have an official MCAT score but I am retaking it in August. Could I still get II's from schools until the new score comes out? I mean I know it's probably different for all schools, but any input would be appreciated.
About to submit my primary to this school (not as early as most of you here), but here is to an admission for us all! for all those with II's you'll rock, you got this, go get that spot!

So just a general question for those with interviews; what is everyone doing to prepare? Any books or sites you guys have found particularly useful?

So just a general question for those with interviews; what is everyone doing to prepare? Any books or sites you guys have found particularly useful?
So I am a reapplicant and one of the books an interviewer last year told me to read was the Healing of America. I am also reading the worst interview answers thread :')

Verified on 6/29 and received secondary today, 7/8

I'm just having friends who have had experience in hiring people give me mock interviews. Is that not normally the route?

question, under yall's required letters and credits tab, does it say incomplete coursework? makes no sense because i know i have all the prereq they want..

question, under yall's required letters and credits tab, does it say incomplete coursework? makes no sense because i know i have all the prereq they want..
Mine does. It has incomplete coursework as it states that there are 8 physics credits needed, when the lecom website explicitly states 4 credits. If that's not the issue for you, then perhaps it's reapplication? (If you reapplied) and they are basing it off of your previous application cycle/aacomas verification.

Mine does. It has incomplete coursework as it states that there are 8 physics credits needed, when the lecom website explicitly states 4 credits. If that's not the issue for you, then perhaps it's reapplication? (If you reapplied) and they are basing it off of your previous application cycle/aacomas verification.

I'm not a reapplicant. But where does it says what's missing or incomplete ? Mine just shows an x mark but does not specify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a reapplicant. But where does it says what's missing or incomplete ? Mine just shows an x mark but does not specify.

Mine doesn't even show an x mark, it only says your application under review.

Do you guys have a check mark under LORs req? The box is empty so I have no idea what that means

Mine has the physics courses directly under the tab
"Program: 2017-18 Ac Yr - 1st Semester Medicine LECOM Bradenton
Requirements Not Yet Met

8 Credits Physics / missing 4
binary_no_check.gif
"

So if your just has an x I'm assuming it's because of LORs

Mine has the physics courses directly under the tab
"Program: 2017-18 Ac Yr - 1st Semester Medicine LECOM Bradenton
Requirements Not Yet Met

8 Credits Physics / missing 4
binary_no_check.gif
"

So if your just has an x I'm assuming it's because of LORs

ah, okay. Mine says
Requirements Not Yet Met
Coursework Complete
binary_no_check.gif
/

so i don't know if its my LORs, or if they just haven't entered them yet...??

ah, okay. Mine says
Requirements Not Yet Met
Coursework Complete
binary_no_check.gif
/

so i don't know if its my LORs, or if they just haven't entered them yet...??

Do you have classes still in progress? Not totally sure, but I wouldn't be too worried in your situation since you have your secondary - meaning that you had all necessary qualifications... "Once LECOM receives the AACOMAS application, qualified applicants will receive an e-mail message providing information and instructions regarding how to complete the Supplemental Application"

Do you have classes still in progress? Not totally sure, but I wouldn't be too worried in your situation since you have your secondary - meaning that you had all necessary qualifications... "Once LECOM receives the AACOMAS application, qualified applicants will receive an e-mail message providing information and instructions regarding how to complete the Supplemental Application"

Whew that makes me feel better. I emailed them just incase. I have my bachelors, but I'm doing my masters right now so maybe that's it. Thanks!

I post this every year since there tend to be a lot of questions on rotations.

I'm a fourth year now so my time is going to be limited with Step 2 and residency applications, but I'm happy to answer questions about life at LECOM. I can't answer questions about your chances of getting in or when you'll hear anything about your application or interview outcome.

Edit to add: tag me or quote me if you're asking me something-- I'm not going to be checking this thread regularly but I'm happy to help when and if I can.

Hi! Would you mind sharing with us your personal reasons for choosing LECOM? There's a lot of bad mouthing about LECOM on SDN here, and for the ones who did go to this school, it seems that they choose it because the tuition is cheap and that the board scores are decent. Is there anything less superficial that compelled you personally though?

Hi! Would you mind sharing with us your personal reasons for choosing LECOM? There's a lot of bad mouthing about LECOM on SDN here, and for the ones who did go to this school, it seems that they choose it because the tuition is cheap and that the board scores are decent. Is there anything less superficial that compelled you personally though?

What kind of bad mouthing? Any links? I'm curious.. didn't know about that!

Personal reasons: it was my first acceptance, I liked the PBL concept, and the COA was over $25K less per year than my other option.
What kind of bad mouthing? Any links? I'm curious.. didn't know about that!

Some of this is out-of-date, some is nitpicky, some is overreacting, and some is legit. I need to go back to studying and ERAS but a quick overview:

--Administration: I'm not a fan. The complaints they get are deserved. I will not go into this on an online forum. However, it's really not that hard to stay under the radar.
--"There's so many rules": this is true. The rules are obnoxious. But again, they're not all that hard to follow. Stay on top of your emails so you don't miss deadlines, don't forget your badge, bring your white coat when you're supposed to, be a generally respectfully adult.
--"Clinical education is terrible": I don't know where this comes from. Like any other DO school, it's a bit spotty-- there's great sites and not-so-great sites, and within those there's great rotations and not-so-great rotations-- but overall everyone I know feels like they'll be ready for residency, and the residents I know who graduated from LECOM said they didn't feel underprepared. I do wish the people in the clin ed office were more helpful, but I've never felt like the powers that be got in my way of learning on the floors.
--"Rotations get dropped all the time": this used to be a concern, but I haven't heard of it happening often anymore. For the few times I can think of it happening to someone, they were found a spot somewhere at a different affiliate. Not ideal, but it's not like you're going to be left high and dry without a rotation.
--Dress code: annoying but not that big of a deal. Most professional jobs have a dress code, and while it would be nice to wear sweat pants, it's not that hard to throw on real clothes. I quit caring about this about a week into first year.
--No food/water in lecture: again annoying, but not that big of a deal. I've since scrubbed in for surgeries (or just flat out busy in clinic, to be honest) and been water-less for a lot longer than I ever went without it in pre-clinical years.
--They make you take a pre-test before you're allowed to take COMLEX: this is a good thing, it helps make sure everyone passes.

More wordy than I intended, whoops.
TL;DR: LECOM's not all unicorns and butterflies and rules are annoying but you get a decent education at the end of the day

Personal reasons: it was my first acceptance, I liked the PBL concept, and the COA was over $25K less per year than my other option.

Dang :/ Have you met anyone else in your classes who attended LECOM for reasons other than the COA? I have heard that LECOM PBL is excellent, but how is it different from PBL of other schools?

Just reapplied to LECOM for this cycle.. currently still on the alternate list for this fall, but I have accepted that I won't get a call with classes starting in 2 weeks.

I interviewed at Erie and I was fairly impressed, which is why I am applying there again. Erie has group interviews with the option for an individual interview (which from what I read, SH does not offer individual ??). Questions in the interview:

Group: 1) name, where your from, type of medicine, etc.
2) where do you see healthcare going in the next 5-10 years. I also added where I want to see healthcare going and they seemed to respond well to that.

We only got to 2 questions because of the group size and the discussions we were having.

Individual: there was only one question. You only had 5-8 minutes. "If we had one spot left, why should we choose you?"

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Dang :/ Have you met anyone else in your classes who attended LECOM for reasons other than the COA? I have heard that LECOM PBL is excellent, but how is it different from PBL of other schools?

Probably. It's not something people really talk about as much as you anticipate you will as a premed. Everyone is happy to be accepted and move on from there. A certain school is a good choice for a certain student for any number of reasons-- curriculum, geography, mission, clinical vs research focus, tuition, clinical sites, match list, that nebulous "fit," etc.

And I wouldn't know-- I liked PBL here but as I've obviously only been to LECOM I have nothing to compare it to.

I have heard that LECOM PBL is excellent, but how is it different from PBL of other schools?
I can't speak to the specifics of PBL at other schools, but it is important to understand that a LOT of medical schools have a "Problem Based" or "Team Based" component that is supplemental to a standard lecture style curriculum. This tends to generate a lot of annoyance because it's a "tacked-on" time sink.

PBL at LECOM is the central part of the pre-clinical curriculum for students in that pathway, so it avoids that "tacked-on" feeling. In addition, we spend enough time with the case-based format that it becomes a pretty efficient exercise by the second semester of first year.

Can someone post a screenshot of how the 'Required Letters and Credits' screen is supposed to look? I just have an empty dropdown box with nothing else there. It says 'No folder items have been received' which is weird because my transcript has been verified and they should have at least gotten my coursework.

Can someone post a screenshot of how the 'Required Letters and Credits' screen is supposed to look? I just have an empty dropdown box with nothing else there. It says 'No folder items have been received' which is weird because my transcript has been verified and they should have at least gotten my coursework.
+1

Interviewing this Friday (7/14) and hoping for some tips! Any specific interview prep books or other resources anyone would recommend? Other suggestions? Thanks!!

Interviewing this Friday (7/14) and hoping for some tips! Any specific interview prep books or other resources anyone would recommend? Other suggestions? Thanks!!
Don't have much advice except to just be yourself and shine. Good luck!