2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You think so? I mean according to the Facebook group there is still just under half the seats available right? It seems like they should still have a pretty large cohort of IS students that haven't heard anything yet, but may hear next week.
Last update was about 90 on the fb page, so it's more like 25% of seats left which is definitely less than just under half.

Members don't see this ad.

Last update was about 90 on the fb page, so it's more like 25% of seats left which is definitely less than just under half.
I think he is assuming the final total of about 160 acceptances (by the end of the waitlist period). An update on the fb number would be great though.

Reactions: 1 user
I think he is assuming the final total of about 160 acceptances (by the end of the waitlist period). An update on the fb number would be great though.
Ya, the post said seats available though, which is only ~120. Atleast we know it will be Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone OOS and didn't go to school in Utah get in yet? (I have literally no connection to Utah)....Also I emailed admissions and they said they will be finished sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlists by March 15.

In the same boat as you!

The admissions office moved to a new building, maybe that is why they are taking awhile to get back to everyone, FYI.

Ya, the post said seats available though, which is only ~120. Atleast we know it will be Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday...
Sorry when I said seats available I meant total acceptance offered as in 160. I didn't see the Facebook update saying there was 90 in the group now. Where did you hear that?

Sorry when I said seats available I meant total acceptance offered as in 160. I didn't see the Facebook update saying there was 90 in the group now. Where did you hear that?

Accepted student here. There are 93 total members in the group today.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, has anyone who interviewed received a rejection via email yet? Or do they just wait til march 15 to do all of that at once ?

Hey guys, has anyone who interviewed received a rejection via email yet? Or do they just wait til march 15 to do all of that at once ?

I don't think anybody has been rejected yet. All waitlists and rejections should be coming out on the 15th. I thought we would see some more acceptances on Friday or today, but it's been silent (at least on SDN anyways).

I feel like we've been waiting longer for the waitlist/rejection emails than the past cycles did

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like we've been waiting longer for the waitlist/rejection emails than the past cycles did
Yea, it's kind of frustrating. I feel like my emotions get elevated in the morning with the possibility of getting a call, then let down as the afternoon wanes on. Is the general consensus then that we're waiting on rejections/wait-lists? I still want to hold out hope for tomorrow!

Yea, it's kind of frustrating. I feel like my emotions get elevated in the morning with the possibility of getting a call, then let down as the afternoon wanes on. Is the general consensus then that we're waiting on rejections/wait-lists? I still want to hold out hope for tomorrow!
It ain't over till it's over. FWIW I know quite a few current students who got in off the waitlist in years past. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a handful of straight acceptances in the next couple of days as well.

A currently accepted student told me that the current Facebook group number is 90 students still.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A currently accepted student told me that the current Facebook group number is 90 students still.
Dang. Dr. Chan gonna have a lot of phone calls to make in the next couple days!

Any movement on the Facebook page today? Or are we all going to be forced to wait one final day for our judgement...

Any movement on the Facebook page today? Or are we all going to be forced to wait one final day for our judgement...
Are we safe to assume no more calls are going out for acceptances? Only for those getting pulled off the wait-list?

Are we safe to assume no more calls are going out for acceptances? Only for those getting pulled off the wait-list?
I'm honestly not sure. If there's only ~100 accepted so far according to Facebook, they have at least 25 more right?

Edit: and didn't that paper they gave us at our interview day say they send out 160 acceptances? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I'm honestly not sure. If there's only ~100 accepted so far according to Facebook, they have at least 25 more right?

Edit: and didn't that paper they gave us at our interview day say they send out 160 acceptances? Or am I remembering that wrong?
The 160 acceptances is including the ~40 acceptances given to people coming of the waitlist when other people decide not to attend. At any one time they do not have more acceptances given than the number of seats in the class.

The 160 acceptances is including the ~40 acceptances given to people coming of the waitlist when other people decide not to attend. At any one time they do not have more acceptances given than the number of seats in the class.
Okay that makes total sense. I wasn't sure how that process exactly worked. Thanks for that.

I was talking to my buddy who is a first year at the U last night. I told him I was gearing up for a rejection or WL and he looked at me like I was stupid to count myself out so soon. He said the FB group definitely has first years in it as well as admins and that a bunch of acceptances were going out tomorrow. I don't know how accurate that info is but I liked hearing it. Time will tell.

Yeah, according to past forums on SDN the facebook group size is a pretty accurate metric for how many acceptances have gone out. What evidence is making people conclude that there are no more straight acceptances going out?

Anyone accepted and know the current facebook count?

If my memory serves me right the calls usually are made before 10 so it looks like nothing today unless they
Yeah, according to past forums on SDN the facebook group size is a pretty accurate metric for how many acceptances have gone out. What evidence is making people conclude that there are no more straight acceptances going out?

Yesterday it was 90.

I just don't remember seeing people getting accepted on the day WL and rejections came out in the years previous. But in the past years, the FB group was like 103-108 in the few days prior to the WL and rejection train so maybe there are more acceptances going out tomorrow. Or maybe not as many people have joined the FB group this year and we're all going to be disappointed tomorrow. Idk...

I just don't remember seeing people getting accepted on the day WL and rejections came out in the years previous. But in the past years, the FB group was like 103-108 in the few days prior to the WL and rejection train so maybe there are more acceptances going out tomorrow. Or maybe not as many people have joined the FB group this year and we're all going to be disappointed tomorrow. Idk...
Yeah, it's possible that we were wrong in our assumption that those 40 or so people that haven't accepted invites were duplicates. So maybe they're already at about 125...

Oh yeah I forgot about those. If anyone is in the FB group already I'd be eternally grateful if you'd check to see how many are listed as "invited" and if they're duplicates. SO NERVOUS

Oh yeah I forgot about those. If anyone is in the FB group already I'd be eternally grateful if you'd check to see how many are listed as "invited" and if they're duplicates. SO NERVOUS
People have already checked, and there is overlap. See page 9 of this thread.

According to sdn, last year no one was accepted the day the waitlist came out. But one person posted that they were accepted off the wait list the day after, not much of a wait.

According to sdn, last year no one was accepted the day the waitlist came out. But one person posted that they were accepted off the wait list the day after, not much of a wait.

Another consideration is last year they likely weren't moving their office the week before...so maybe acceptances will go out this time? Trying to stay hopeful

I did see that. And I've seen that in other years too. Makes sense that you see some immediate movement from the waitlist after March 15th seeing as some schools don't send out any acceptances until the 15th. Doesn't seem like there is much movement between the few days after the 15th and the few days after May 1st, though.

Man, while I'd still much rather be waitlisted than rejected tomorrow, continuing this purgatory of waiting still sounds terrible...

Safe to say that this year is unprecedented. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

Nothing. Must mean I'm slated for rejection nbd

Been lurking this site for a while.. figured I would chime in. I just got the WL email as well. Here's to waiting for an even longer period of time to most likely get rejected. Haha

Oh crap. I didn't get one. What does that mean. Do they hate me.

Anyone have any idea how many people get put on their wait list?

I'm assuming alternate list people should still fill out the financial aid thing before tomorrow night?