2016-2017 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Received an e-mail with the secondary on 6/27 (I submitted my application for review on 6/25 and I am still waiting for it to be verified)

(1600 character limit not including spaces)
1. What do you consider to be your hometown? Explain
2. Given the purpose of the school, please justify why you should be accepted for admission.
3. Describe how your experiences (health care or social care) will help you develop into a compassionate physician.
4. Describe how familiar you are with life in a rural and/or Native American community.
5. Describe how you have contributed to your family or community.
What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school: This year? Ever?
7. Describe your connection to the state of North Dakota. Minnesota applicants, describe your connections to your respective communities and/or to North Dakota.

I am currently heading home from vacation today and will be working on the secondary. So far I've seen some similar questions on other applications which makes me feel better about writing all of these essays!

Good luck to all!

Just submitted my secondary here today! Minnesota applicant with a strong interest in rural health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the time frame of how soon you should get this app in? I know you want to get it in earlier than later, but I also don't want to submit essays I'm not happy with. I received the supplemental on vacation and was eager and curious as it was my first one and I opened it and started working. This was about 2 days after I submitted my primary (6/27). My application JUST got verified by AMCAS on 7/21, and I am now hoping to submit the secondary today or tomorrow. Is that too long? I wasn't in a rush because I hadn't had my app verified, but I'm worried that I have taken to long since I opened it to submit!

Does anyone know the time frame of how soon you should get this app in? I know you want to get it in earlier than later, but I also don't want to submit essays I'm not happy with. I received the supplemental on vacation and was eager and curious as it was my first one and I opened it and started working. This was about 2 days after I submitted my primary (6/27). My application JUST got verified by AMCAS on 7/21, and I am now hoping to submit the secondary today or tomorrow. Is that too long? I wasn't in a rush because I hadn't had my app verified, but I'm worried that I have taken to long since I opened it to submit!
I would simply submit as soon as possible. Typically you should aim to get your secondaries in within two weeks of receiving them, but sometimes life happens and as long as you get it in within the school's deadline you will be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone feel like they can answer some of these questions in only a couple of sentences? It just seems so inadequate considering the character limit they give you, but I cannot think of another word to write for some of them without being pretty extraneous.

I recently received an e-mail regarding my secondary application contents, so I know that my application is currently being reviewed (ahhh!). Does anyone know when they begin sending out interview invitations/ has any one received and interview invitation yet?

I realize no one here can answer this with certainty, but I would just like to see what others think or how you all interpret this. So regarding letters of recommendation, UND states that "Two of the letters are required from college instructors or faculty..." and "The final letter should be from a supervisor (paid or volunteer)..." (emphasis added). The language here suggests the possibility that the letter from a supervisor is not absolutely required as are those from instructors and that they may have some leniency on it. There are three options for letters: all individual, letter packet, or committee letter plus one or two individual. Under the last option, in reference to the individual letter, they state that, "For many applicants, this final letter is from a supervisor." If they did, in fact, absolutely require a letter from a supervisor, wouldn't the final letter be from a supervisor for all applicants and not just "many" (as the committee letter would not include anything from a supervisor)?
Perhaps I am reading too much into the wording and they simply require two letters from instructors and one from a supervisor, but as the former would be so much easier for me to obtain, I would like to have a better idea of the actual requirements.
How would you interpret this? Has anyone ever contacted them about these requirements or discovered if they make exceptions? What did you submit for LORs?

Last edited:
I realize no one here can answer this with certainty, but I would just like to see what others think or how you all interpret this. So regarding letters of recommendation, UND states that "Two of the letters are required from college instructors or faculty..." and "The final letter should be from a supervisor (paid or volunteer)..." (emphasis added). The language here suggests the possibility that the letter from a supervisor is not absolutely required as are those from instructors and that they may have some leniency on it. There are three options for letters: all individual, letter packet, or committee letter plus one or two individual. Under the last option, in reference to the individual letter, they state that, "For many applicants, this final letter is from a supervisor." If they did, in fact, absolutely require a letter from a supervisor, wouldn't the final letter be from a supervisor for all applicants and not just "many" (as the committee letter would not include anything from a supervisor)?
Perhaps I am reading too much into the wording and they simply require two letters from instructors and one from a supervisor, but as the former would be so much easier for me to obtain, I would like to have a better idea of the actual requirements.
How would you interpret this? Has anyone everyone contacted them about about these requirements or discovered if they make exceptions? What did you submit for LORs?
I think I would interpret this as if you have a formal supervisor from anything on your application you should obtain a letter from that person. I think the "should be" is meant for students that actually didn't have a formal supervisor in any position leading up to this point and so they simply can not provide a letter. I would say medical schools prefer letters from supervisors because they want to know how you are viewed in the professional realm and having only letters from science faculty will most likely result in repetitive recommendations. If you did research with a science professor, that could be considered a formal supervisor too. Hope this helps!

I think I would interpret this as if you have a formal supervisor from anything on your application you should obtain a letter from that person. I think the "should be" is meant for students that actually didn't have a formal supervisor in any position leading up to this point and so they simply can not provide a letter. I would say medical schools prefer letters from supervisors because they want to know how you are viewed in the professional realm and having only letters from science faculty will most likely result in repetitive recommendations. If you did research with a science professor, that could be considered a formal supervisor too. Hope this helps!

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense! The bit about research is especially helpful. Much appreciated :)

Interview Invite today, OOS!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today (Complete 7/14- OOS). Pretty bummed out as ND is my second home. The wait for an II continues!

Do you mean Jan 20? When I logged in, the 20th was the last date. I definitely would have taken the 21st if it had been available
I also got 21st. But from the looks of it you can reschedule if 21st becomes available?

Does anyone know what forms of transportation are available in Grand Forks? I'm trying to see how I would get there on interview day. Any help would be much appreciated!

I also got 21st. But from the looks of it you can reschedule if 21st becomes available?

Does anyone know what forms of transportation are available in Grand Forks? I'm trying to see how I would get there on interview day. Any help would be much appreciated!

Unfortunately, it's pretty limited. There is a city area bus system, otherwise taxis are your best option.

Edit: You may be able to find a hotel with an airport shuttle, which would help some.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You might be able to search the UND underground for a ride, too. Something like underground.und.edu…

Unfortunately, it's pretty limited. There is a city area bus system, otherwise taxis are your best option.

Edit: You may be able to find a hotel with an airport shuttle, which would help some.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You might be able to search the UND underground for a ride, too. Something like underground.und.edu…

Thank you both so much! Yeah, I found hotels with airport shuttles, but the closest one is still over a mile away, so I was hoping to see how to get to the school from there. I will give the underground a look!

Nope I got the 21st! It's a Saturday
I'm so glad I saw this! I rescheduled for the 21st.
Good luck! Maybe I will see you there (without knowing it, obviously, but still!)

Thank you both so much! Yeah, I found hotels with airport shuttles, but the closest one is still over a mile away, so I was hoping to see how to get to the school from there. I will give the underground a look!
Did you read the letter attached to the interview information that says that there are medical students who available who volunteer to give people rides?

Last edited:
Did you read the letter attached to the interview information that says that there are medical students who available who volunteer to give people rides?
Just received that email yesterday! Thank you for your help!

For what it's worth and to hopefully calm some nerves:

My buddy interviewed here this weekend. She said the facilities were very impressive, everyone was welcoming and helpful, and even the panel :eek: interview was super conversational and enjoyable despite how intimidating the concept may sound.

For what it's worth and to hopefully calm some nerves:

My buddy interviewed here this weekend. She said the facilities were very impressive, everyone was welcoming and helpful, and even the panel :eek: interview was super conversational and enjoyable despite how intimidating the concept may sound.
Thank you for posting this! I interview this coming week, so this helps a lot.

Just had my interview yesterday and I would agree with what has been posted prior. UND has some awesome facilities and the interview panel was quite welcoming. They seemed to each have a focused area of the interview, so it was more like a 1-on-1 rather than 3 people all peppering you with questions altogether.

Does anyone know when decisions come out? The website says end of January, but I heard it takes two more months during interview day.

Does anyone know when decisions come out? The website says end of January, but I heard it takes two more months during interview day.
The website says end of January, they told me and a few of my friends by the end of this week (meaning they should tell us today), and now everyone's saying it'll be next week. I'm pretty confident they'll tell us next week. I don't know how they could possibly need two more months!

Waitlist #3! I am actually excited about this! I feel like if it is anything like years past I am in!

waitlist ND mid teens
anyone know what my chances are?
what to do next?
very discouraged and confused

Last edited:
waitlist ND #16
what to do next?
From searching through threads of past years, it appears to move between 7 and 25 spots. That's ND spots, though. There is a different waitlist for out-of-state, and that one doesn't move quite as much

waitlist ND #16
what to do next?
Honestly I would start preparing for next cycle. Ask what their reason for waitlisting you was and go from there. Not to sound discouraging but it's better to be ready for next year than to try and bank on a spot and have time wasted on an application

I was granted an acceptance. I'm still waiting for it to feel real. I'm a non-trad (in my 30s) and this is a huge shift for my life/family.
I can't wait for my packet to come in the mail. I need to know what my financial package will look like as soon as possible.
Does anyone know if they typically have a visit day?

Reactions: 1 users
I was granted an acceptance. I'm still waiting for it to feel real. I'm a non-trad (in my 30s) and this is a huge shift for my life/family.
I can't wait for my packet to come in the mail. I need to know what my financial package will look like as soon as possible.
Does anyone know if they typically have a visit day?
I am not sure if they have an official visit day, you could always call admissions and ask, very nice people! It's great to hear you have been accepted, I am hoping at least 3 people in front of me decide to go elsewhere so we can both be in the same class next year!

They have a couple "get to know you days" that occur in April. In addition the packet is mostly forms to fill out (i.e. immunizations, letter of intent, deposit, etc). The medical student financial aid office are the people you would need to talk to about financial aid packages. The earliest they will start scheduling appointments is in the middle of February.

ACCEPTED! :) Minnesota resident, so I'm very grateful!

They have a couple "get to know you days" that occur in April. In addition the packet is mostly forms to fill out (i.e. immunizations, letter of intent, deposit, etc). The medical student financial aid office are the people you would need to talk to about financial aid packages. The earliest they will start scheduling appointments is in the middle of February.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would they make accepted people write a letter of intent? Isn't that the purpose of the personal statement, secondary essays, and interview? Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would they make accepted people write a letter of intent? Isn't that the purpose of the personal statement, secondary essays, and interview? Maybe I'm missing something.
I don't know for a fact but I think it is more of a "Sign here" letter of intent, and not "Please write us a letter of intent" if that makes sense

Makes sense. Thanks! I was thinking of the "please take me off the waitlist"-type letter of intent and really didn't want to explain my interest in medicine or UND yet again lol
I don't know for a fact but I think it is more of a "Sign here" letter of intent, and not "Please write us a letter of intent" if that makes sense