2016-2017 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Makes sense. Thanks! I was thinking of the "please take me off the waitlist"-type letter of intent and really didn't want to explain my interest in medicine or UND yet again lol
Definitely can't see a reasoning for that lol but its med school and this whole process is well a process so who knows!

On a different note, how confident are you all in my chances? I am ND #3, and if it is even a slow year on the wait-list I should be golden but crazier things have happened! I would like to enjoy the time between now and hopefully starting school but also don't want a gap in case I don't get in... Ugh the waiting never ends!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely can't see a reasoning for that lol but its med school and this whole process is well a process so who knows!

On a different note, how confident are you all in my chances? I am ND #3, and if it is even a slow year on the wait-list I should be golden but crazier things have happened! I would like to enjoy the time between now and hopefully starting school but also don't want a gap in case I don't get in... Ugh the waiting never ends!

Are you a ND resident?

I'm copying and pasting this from the 2013-2014 thread.

"On average it's between 7-12 for ND applicants. The lowest I know of in recent years is 2 or 3 and the highest is 15.

Edit - Last year 10 ND residents were accepted from the waitlist."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would they make accepted people write a letter of intent? Isn't that the purpose of the personal statement, secondary essays, and interview? Maybe I'm missing something.
You do not need to write the letter of intent, it is a form that you add your name to and sign basically stating you intend to attend UND. It is one of six items that need to be complete by 4 weeks after receipt of the admissions packet.

I am 100% confident in your chances, but maybe don't buy a house there quite yet.

I am 100% confident in your chances, but maybe don't buy a house there quite yet.
Thats very reassuring! Looks like I'll just house shop for now hahah, I have been excited like I have been accepted just because I know of the typical movement but I also know anything can happen lol

Is anyone actually planning on buying a house? Remember that UND has several other clinical sites that you might wind up in (fargo, minot, bismarck) for years 3 and 4.
We are a family of 6, so I am trying to figure out what the best course of action for housing is going to be for us. Finding a house with 4+ rooms available for rent has proven rather difficult for us in the past, and especially now considering we are losing my income. Renting a 4 br house will cost us $1000+ in rent, while the mortgage for a comparable house is much more affordable.
I heard they have married/family housing options on campus, but I need to call and find out if it could even accomodate our family size.

Is anyone actually planning on buying a house? Remember that UND has several other clinical sites that you might wind up in (fargo, minot, bismarck) for years 3 and 4.
We are a family of 6, so I am trying to figure out what the best course of action for housing is going to be for us. Finding a house with 4+ rooms available for rent has proven rather difficult for us in the past, and especially now considering we are losing my income. Renting a 4 br house will cost us $1000+ in rent, while the mortgage for a comparable house is much more affordable.
I heard they have married/family housing options on campus, but I need to call and find out if it could even accomodate our family size.
I was only kidding, so I'm no help for you. UND does have family housing options, and I've known people who've lived in them, but I think they tend to be more comfortable for smaller families, maybe three bedrooms tops. But hopefully I'm wrong and you find something good! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking about a house but am leaning towards apartment as I am aiming for clinicals in Bismarck

I was also accepted earlier this week! Are there any current UND students on these forums? I have a couple of questions about the program.

I was also accepted earlier this week! Are there any current UND students on these forums? I have a couple of questions about the program.
Congrats! IS or OOS?? And what questions do you have!? I have spoke with plenty of students and might be able to help

Congrats! IS or OOS?? And what questions do you have!? I have spoke with plenty of students and might be able to help

Thanks! IS acceptance. I'm curious about the general typical schedule (i.e. are students in class 8-5 most days?) as well as the class format - I know UND has a pretty heavy focus on group work and PBL, but I'm assuming there has to be a lecture component as well. Also, are grades based on one exam at the end of the block, or are there other assignments/quizzes/mid-block exams throughout the block that factor into the grades? I'd also like to know if UND offers any formal board prep for the USMLE, and also how rotations are assigned; I know it's a lottery system and I'm guessing it is based on class rank, but I'd like to confirm that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! IS acceptance. I'm curious about the general typical schedule (i.e. are students in class 8-5 most days?) as well as the class format - I know UND has a pretty heavy focus on group work and PBL, but I'm assuming there has to be a lecture component as well. Also, are grades based on one exam at the end of the block, or are there other assignments/quizzes/mid-block exams throughout the block that factor into the grades? I'd also like to know if UND offers any formal board prep for the USMLE, and also how rotations are assigned; I know it's a lottery system and I'm guessing it is based on class rank, but I'd like to confirm that.

The class schedule is non-mandatory attendance and from the students I've talked to they hardly EVER go to class. The lecture classes are MWF and labs are T-Th. Fridays I believe are the group work IPHC course you may have heard about. I believe grades are based on the one exam and also a clinical practicum. As far as formal board prep I have no idea. Rotations I believe are a complete random lottery at least I think thats what they tell you, it may be based off of class rank.

Hope that helps! Also get accepted elsewhere so I can take your spot ;) Jk of course! Good for you!

The class schedule is non-mandatory attendance and from the students I've talked to they hardly EVER go to class. The lecture classes are MWF and labs are T-Th. Fridays I believe are the group work IPHC course you may have heard about. I believe grades are based on the one exam and also a clinical practicum. As far as formal board prep I have no idea. Rotations I believe are a complete random lottery at least I think thats what they tell you, it may be based off of class rank.

Hope that helps! Also get accepted elsewhere so I can take your spot ;) Jk of course! Good for you!

Thanks for your insight! Still holding out for a decision from an OOS school that I think I'd prefer over UND, but if it doesn't work out I'm just thankful to be accepted :) Judging from other comments and threads from recent previous cycles, I'd say you have very little to worry about!

Thanks for your insight! Still holding out for a decision from an OOS school that I think I'd prefer over UND, but if it doesn't work out I'm just thankful to be accepted :) Judging from other comments and threads from recent previous cycles, I'd say you have very little to worry about!
I wish you all the luck! I am pretty confident in my chances and am honestly preparing as if I am accepted, I hope to see you in the fall, and if not best of luck at your other school!

Apparently lack of attendance is a hot topic, and they might be pushing to make it mandatory. That's what a handful of people have told me. Hopefully that'll happen after we're outta there.

Apparently lack of attendance is a hot topic, and they might be pushing to make it mandatory. That's what a handful of people have told me. Hopefully that'll happen after we're outta there.
I heard that as well, but by the sounds of it administration takes a while to make changes so hopefully we're all scattered around in clinicals before they make that change

Current student.

Class is generally schedule 8-3 MWF and 8-noon TT. Afternoons are usually more clinical based lectures where the mornings are lecture, PCL (small group learning), and lab.

The schedule is 8 weeks of class then an exam week where you will have a clinical skills exam, a case-based essay exam, and an MCQ exam. These are the only grades. You will have to create 10 minute presentations throughout the block for PCL, but this is pretty much a straight pass/fail.

Rotations are completely random. You go in and take a number and that's where you pick. And they don't have equal numbers for rotation sites between 3rd and 4th year (~35 3rd year spots in Fargo, and only 19 4th year spots) so large numbers of people are forced to move. The lottery is probably the worst part of the school. But overall people do take care of people who need to be in specific locations (aka people with spouses/kids locked into certain locations).

Lectures by visiting professors are mandatory now (generally afternoon classes). A lot of the clinical faculty is based around the state so when someone travels to deliver a lecture they want to make sure people are there. This has been a change in the last year or so. PCL is also mandatory. There's been no real discussion of making any other lecture/lab work mandatory.

Waitlisted... MN/WICHE.

Does anyone know if the first few waitlist positions would be fairly safe or should I really be thinking about reapplying? (I think last year the OOS list moved to 20 or so? Is that accurate information?) Twiddling my fingers and holding on to hope! Good luck to all others that are still waiting as well!

Little late to post this but OOS, accepted Wed 1/25, interviewed 1/21 so pretty quick turn around compared to other schools

Reactions: 2 users
So who is gonna make the UNDSMHS class of 2021 facebook group?? =D

I would volunteer but I frequently deactivate my account to take social media breaks.

So who is gonna make the UNDSMHS class of 2021 facebook group?? =D

I would volunteer but I frequently deactivate my account to take social media breaks.

I unfortunately don't have an account but I plan on making one sometime this semester lol

INMED wait-list. Will this move much at all this cycle?

For those of us on the waitlist: the accepted folks have four weeks to say yes or no initially, which includes the deposit. After the four weeks if anyone who has paid the deposit changes their mind for whatever reason, they have until May 1 to say that they are going somewhere else and still get the deposit back. So I am expecting the biggest move of the waitlist near end of Feb and probably not a whole lot after May 1, unless something really screwy happens with someone who said they would go and paid the deposit.

For those of us on the waitlist: the accepted folks have four weeks to say yes or no initially, which includes the deposit. After the four weeks if anyone who has paid the deposit changes their mind for whatever reason, they have until May 1 to say that they are going somewhere else and still get the deposit back. So I am expecting the biggest move of the waitlist near end of Feb and probably not a whole lot after May 1, unless something really screwy happens with someone who said they would go and paid the deposit.
Also the April date after which people can only hold one acceptance should produce a lot of waitlist movement

Also the April date after which people can only hold one acceptance should produce a lot of waitlist movement
Just curious, does UND initially accept the exact number to fill the class, and therefore if a single person declines, the waitlist moves? Or do they accept a bit more to begin with?

Just curious, does UND initially accept the exact number to fill the class, and therefore if a single person declines, the waitlist moves? Or do they accept a bit more to begin with?
I guess I don't know about UND specifically as much as I'm just going by what seems to be the overall trend with schools. Maybe a current student could shed some light?

Accepted through the INMED program! Excited to meet everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the typical places that medical students live? I'm trying to figure out housing, and a lot of apartments have a wait list!

Does anyone know the typical places that medical students live? I'm trying to figure out housing, and a lot of apartments have a wait list!

Which have wait lists, so we can maybe offer better suggestions? So far I've seen at least one or two vacancies in most the complexes I've checked, unless you're looking for a pretty specific area or setup.

My med school friends have lived all over GF depending on personal preferences. Some like being downtown and close to bars, while others prefer not having to drive to campus.

Which have wait lists, so we can maybe offer better suggestions? So far I've seen at least one or two vacancies in most the complexes I've checked, unless you're looking for a pretty specific area or setup.

My med school friends have lived all over GF depending on personal preferences. Some like being downtown and close to bars, while others prefer not having to drive to campus.
Thanks for your help! I actually went to GF this past weekend and found an apartment complex that I loved (The Verge) and signed a lease. Great price and great amenities.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea what the waitlist movement is like this year compared to last? "Patiently" waiting in the top 5.

Anyone have any idea what the waitlist movement is like this year compared to last? "Patiently" waiting in the top 5.
I was #21 on the MN/WICHE wait list and just got pulled off this morning. I will likely be declining as I have an acceptance to another school and I have already signed a lease, but I thought the information would be helpful to you. Good luck!

I was #21 on the MN/WICHE wait list and just got pulled off this morning. I will likely be declining as I have an acceptance to another school and I have already signed a lease, but I thought the information would be helpful to you. Good luck!

Any idea how the movement actually works? I'm a MN resident, and I'm on the ND waitlist which has only moved 4 spots. you're saying that the MN/WICHE waitlist has moved 21? I'm confused.

Any idea how the movement actually works? I'm a MN resident, and I'm on the ND waitlist which has only moved 4 spots. you're saying that the MN/WICHE waitlist has moved 21? I'm confused.

Are you from North Western MN? I believe if you are living up there close to ND they consider you to be "in state"? Otherwise I'm not sure why they would have put you on the ND wait list. Don't take this as like ultimate truth or anything but I believe that maybe they have quotas for how many in state vs MN vs WICHE people they accept in a class. So for every MN/WICHE person who drops their spot they pick the next one from that wait list, and same for ND people. This would make the lack of movement on the ND wait list make sense since a lot of people's state schools are their first choice. That's just speculation on my end though. Either way I can confirm that they MN/WICHE waitlist has moved 22 spots as I gave my spot up yesterday.

Last edited:
Are you from North Western MN? I believe if you are living up there close to ND they consider you to be "in state"? Otherwise I'm not sure why they would have put you on the ND wait list. Don't take this as like ultimate truth or anything but I believe that maybe they have quotas for how many in state vs MN vs WICHE people they accept in a class. So for every MN/WICHE person who drops their spot they pick the next one from that wait list, and same for ND people. This would make the lack of movement on the ND wait list make sense since a lot of people's state schools are their first choice. That's just speculation on my end though. Either way I can confirm that they MN/WICHE waitlist has moved 22 spots as I gave my spot up yesterday.

I'm from the cities but I have strong ties to the state and Grand Forks so I'm assuming that's why. Thanks for the response, and congrats on your acceptance!

Little late to post this but OOS, accepted Wed 1/25, interviewed 1/21 so pretty quick turn around compared to other schools

Hi! I know this is from last year's post but do you have any advice on the interview?

Hi! I know this is from last year's post but do you have any advice on the interview?
It's going to be a panel of 3 people, but don't let that intimidate you. There will be a medical doctor, a Ph.D. basic scientist, and a current medical student.
One thing to keep in mind is that the panel of people interviewing you are not the ones deciding who gets accepted. They simply take everything they can from your interview and serve as your advocate to the admissions committee. They WANT you do get in; they're on your side.
There is a myth that there is an interviewer who tries to rile people up by pretending to fall asleep-- it's not true. This individual simply puts his chin down to his chest and closes his eyes as a way to concentrate while listening to someone speak. It is a personality quirk, not a ploy.
-Make sure to wear a proper suit. No heavy makeup, no cologne/perfume, and have your hair neat/tied up. You aren't trying to look like a news anchor.
-Shake hands with everyone upon entering the room AND upon leaving at the end. Sit with good posture.
-Remember their names. If you are nervous about forgetting them, you should get a folder when you check in...inside the folder has the names of your interviewers. Go over their names as you wait for your turn.
-Be nice to EVERYONE from the moment you enter the parking lot.
-If you are not familiar with GF, do a dry run to make sure you know how to find the NEW medical school building, and where to park. GF is awful about sanding/salting roads (ie- not at all) so be aware of how slick the roads are and adjust travel time accordingly.
-Don't worry about acting impressive. Just be cordial and good-natured (but still professional of course).
-Be prepared to answer some off the wall questions, like "if you were a kitchen utensil, what would you be?" The point of the question isn't to see who comes up with the best/most creative answer, but to see if you get flustered when thrown a curve ball. Just relax, smile, and have fun with it.
-Have some questions about the program prepared before you go in. They will ask you, and it will make you look interested. Also, be able to speak to why you think UND is a good program/fit for you.
-Write a thank you note/email within a day or 2 of your interview. Contact Danielle or whoever your main contact is for how to get it to them. Don't write the exact same message to all 3 of them.
-Look over your application the night before your interview. They will ask you about stuff you put on there and you don't want to be caught off guard about something you haven't thought about for a while. Example- can you speak intelligently about a research project you listed on your app?

That's all I can think of right now. We are on break until Jan. 8th, feel free to ask specific questions!