2016-2017 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! What date are you picking?!!?!

I'm picking September 10th, I will be back in the states by the first week of September haha. You applying as an international too?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm picking September 10th, I will be back in the states by the first week of September haha. You applying as an international too?
Yes!

Canadian (wooo).

Last edited:
Is there rhyme or reason to how they send them out? Since the last batch went out Friday should we chill until Friday? Or is it completely random.

UK is my #1 right now, so I can hardly sleep because I'm worried I'll miss signing up for an interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I believe the adcom meets on Thursdays but I don't know if that bears any relationship to when the emails with invites go out. Looks like it came today though, congrats!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My status just changed to "sent for screening". How long after this happened did you all get II's?

Reactions: 1 user
My status just changed to "sent for screening". How long after this happened did you all get II's?

Mine was sent to screening on a Friday, Interview to be scheduled on Sunday, got the interview email on Tuesday :)

Thinking good thoughts for you!

Apparently they screen you OOS if MCAT is below 512, so I'm out! Hmm. Didn't think that based on the MSAR statistics. Good luck everyone!

Do you mean screening for an interview or a secondary?

Secondary. I don't anticipate I'll be getting one. From the E-mail:

"...Competitive out-of-state applicants should have strong science and cumulative GPA's and should generally have MCAT scores of at least 32 with no subscore lower than 10 on the pre-2015 MCAT or at or above the 80th percentile rank on the 2015 MCAT. Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application..."

Secondary. I don't anticipate I'll be getting one. From the E-mail:

"...Competitive out-of-state applicants should have strong science and cumulative GPA's and should generally have MCAT scores of at least 32 with no subscore lower than 10 on the pre-2015 MCAT or at or above the 80th percentile rank on the 2015 MCAT. Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application..."
A 512 is the 88th percentile. I'd say if you have a 510 or above, you're probably fine.

I also got an II with less than the 85th percentile they say they require OOS to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What date are you picking

Earliest date available was Oct. 4th. I'm going to keep an eye on Sep. 20th though, since I'll be in Lexington visiting family that week.

I'm glad to see another productive day in terms of II. I think Friday's so far have been a relatively lucky day :) congrats to those of you who got it, and we're keeping our fingers crossed for the others on this thread who haven't gotten one yet. Stay positive!

Now that interviews are nearing, does anyone have any tips? According to the blurb, there are going to be 2 one-on-one interviews. Thanks :)

I'm a re-applicant. Assuming consistency wth last year, you have 2 one on ones and they are very, very laid back. Typical questions: why medicine, what specialty interests you. There weren't any curveballs or anything like that

Now that interviews are nearing, does anyone have any tips? According to the blurb, there are going to be 2 one-on-one interviews. Thanks :)
The interviews are nothing to stress about! It's just a conversation where they try to get to know you better. You may have two faculty members or a faculty member and a current student as interviewers. The students have as much say as the faculty on the adcom. Know your application, as they know it well and tend to ask questions about your activities and what you've written. Be prepared to answer the usual "why our school" and "why medicine" questions, and if you're out of state, have a good explanation of why you would come to KY. They're also required to ask how you'll be paying for school.

But really, just try to be yourself and not get too worked up about it. Most people find interview day to be pretty relaxed and many report that their positive experience during interviews contributed to them choosing to come to UK. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

II! Received yesterday (08/12). Complete 07/18. LizzyM 71, Canadian applicant.

OOS hold. Anyone know much about how this school handles these kind of holds?

OOS hold. Anyone know much about how this school handles these kind of holds?
You could take a look at last year's thread to get a better idea.

Some people got II later in the year [maybe post Oct 15th if I am remembering correctly], although from the sounds of it, some people never came off hold.

The next available regular decision interviews at this point: Nov 15 [almost full], Nov 19, Nov 29 ... contd

There aren't that many interview slots left open, and I think this reason is the one some people never came off hold. It sounds like Kentucky fills up REALLY quickly.

Thinking good thoughts for you to get an II :) Don't give up!

Last edited:
Hey so my college just uploaded my rec letters today and I was wondering how that's going to affect my chances for an interview

Hey so my college just uploaded my rec letters today and I was wondering how that's going to affect my chances for an interview

As far as chance of receiving an interview I wouldn't think it would affect it much.
Since your application is just now marked as complete, they will likely review other files marked as compete earlier, before they review yours though. When I looked earlier in the week interviews were full until the November dates, so it may just mean that you'll interview later in the year. I wouldn't stress about it too much; you just don't have much control over when your letters are submitted!

Best of Luck!

Hey, does anyone have the email address for the admissions here? I can only find their number (which asked me to leave a message) on their website.

Going to be an M3 here in a couple weeks. I had a few pre-reqs at a CC, but no online labs. The best thing to do would be call the admissions office. They are really terrific people and can give you a better answer than any of us on SDN. Good luck!

Hey doyouhaveaflag,

I have my interview tomorrow and found what (I think) is the room [MN136], but does it involve going into the hallway of the dean's office? The guy told me it'd be through the door with wood paneling on either side, but I didn't want to barge in and ask.

Hey doyouhaveaflag,

I have my interview tomorrow and found what (I think) is the room [MN136], but does it involve going into the hallway of the dean's office? The guy told me it'd be through the door with wood paneling on either side, but I didn't want to barge in and ask.
That's probably the easiest way to get there if you don't know the hospital well. The big wood panels are the most identifiable landmark from where most people would come in. Once you go through the long hallway of the dean's office, you'll see the office of admissions right across from where you exit the other side. If you have trouble tomorrow, no one will mind at all if you ask for directions! I still do it all the time in this hospital. It's a maze.

Good luck!

That's probably the easiest way to get there if you don't know the hospital well. The big wood panels are the most identifiable landmark from where most people would come in. Once you go through the long hallway of the dean's office, you'll see the office of admissions right across from where you exit the other side. If you have trouble tomorrow, no one will mind at all if you ask for directions! I still do it all the time in this hospital. It's a maze.

Good luck!

Ah thank you so much!

My status was updated today to "interview to be scheduled"!!! IS, LizzyM >71, complete mid August! invited to U of L this week as well :)

Status changed to "interview to be scheduled". Excited! OOS

Reactions: 2 users
I just noticed the "Interview(s) To Be Scheduled" too! OOS and I'm so excited! Now I'm just nervously checking my email for the info. How long did it take from the status change --> being able to schedule the interview?

This is kind of crazy too since I just got complete ~1 week ago or so.

I'm surprised there are no interviews available until December!

I scheduled mine as soon as I got the email this morning and the earliest I got was mid-November. Oh well, at least I can ask for time off work in advance!

I received a "Screening hold" email.

LizzyM 71% OOS. No real ties to the state so I kind of expected that lol. Shame though, Kentucky is cool.

So I'm a Canadian applicant and I just noticed this on their website: "At least one full year of undergraduate or graduate study in a regionally accredited U.S. school is required for application to medical school" Source: http://meded.med.uky.edu/international-students

So does this mean what I think it means?? I applied here before and don't remember this requirement! And Ukentucky has a good number of international applicants (375 to be exact) with 25 got interviewed last year. It just doesn't seem likely that all of those 375 applicants studied one year in an US school. Any international applicants got an II without a year in the US??

Last edited:
I received a "Screening hold" email.

LizzyM 71% OOS. No real ties to the state so I kind of expected that lol. Shame though, Kentucky is cool.

did you see a "sent for screening" before that? i have no ties to kentucky but i mentioned that i really wanted to explore the culture there as a canadian (doubt they put any weight on that though).

Just as a heads up to ED people...you can call now for a decision! I'm beyond ecstatic that I've been accepted for the class of 2021 :soexcited: Can't wait to see who else joins!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just as a heads up to ED people...you can call now for a decision! I'm beyond ecstatic that I've been accepted for the class of 2021 :soexcited: Can't wait to see who else joins!!

CONGRATS! It's not even mid September and you already know you are in. That's pretty dope.:thumbup:

CONGRATS! It's not even mid September and you already know you are in. That's pretty dope.:thumbup:
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty boosted I didn't have to wait until Oct 1st. Just waiting 3 weeks after my interview killed me lol

Any advice for the interview? Mine is 10/8
I'm sure you've heard it before, but they will really take the time to learn your entire application, so they just want to get a sense for you as a person. It's not stressful at all...both of mine were just like casual conversations. I made sure to work in some relevant questions, but honestly it's so laid back, just be yourself and be honest and you'll do fine :) Kim does a great job of matching you up with people you'll have things in common with, so I found it to be a great experience overall. Everyone you meet is super nice and it's not cut throat at all.

Congrats to the ED people who got 'yes's' today!

For the non-ED folk, I know that our decision comes out on October 15th, but that's a Saturday. Are you just supposed to wait til Monday, or will someone be in the office fielding our calls?

Praying for good news :xf:

why is this thread so dead compared to last year's? has there been any movement for anyone? i'm still stuck on "sent for screening". been like that for more than a week.

Congrats to the ED people who got 'yes's' today!

For the non-ED folk, I know that our decision comes out on October 15th, but that's a Saturday. Are you just supposed to wait til Monday, or will someone be in the office fielding our calls?

Praying for good news :xf:

I asked about this when I interviewed and they said to wait to the Monday after Oct 15 to call.