2016-2017 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does your secondary portal say and did you get a hold email? Also, anyone who have their status change to review complete not get a call today? Just curious I figure that if a call is coming they would trickle out throughout the week! Congrats to everyone accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

What does your secondary portal say and did you get a hold email? Also, anyone who have their status change to review complete not get a call today? Just curious I figure that if a call is coming they would trickle out throughout the week! Congrats to everyone accepted!

My status is review complete, and I didn't get a call or an email at all. Also interviewed early in the cycle. I got other acceptances though, so I'm not upset.

EDIT: Turns out they just called my home phone rather than my cell, accepted.

Last edited:
What does being on hold mean? Does that mean they will re-review you in December, or does that mean they just don't have a decision for you yet? Congrats to everyone who got in!
Hold is essentially a pre-waitlist. They have reviewed your app and aren't ready to accept yet until they see the rest of the applicants. I believe they re-review the hold apps in March but I could be wrong. You may get off hold before then, but that's around when they generate the official waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning via email! First acceptance and so excited to have it!

Reactions: 2 users
I received the call on Monday from one of my interviewer, but I have not received any email.. and my online status still shows "review completed"

so I interviewed on 9/10 and my status still says interviews completed. Did I get waitlisted?

so I interviewed on 9/10 and my status still says interviews completed. Did I get waitlisted?
I believe they send an email for the hold list but perhaps someone else can confirm. Sounds like they maybe haven't talked about you at the committee meetings yet. They meet on Thursdays, so you may get some news soon. Otherwise, you can always call and see if there's some reason for the hold up.

I believe they send an email for the hold list but perhaps someone else can confirm. Sounds like they maybe haven't talked about you at the committee meetings yet. They meet on Thursdays, so you may get some news soon. Otherwise, you can always call and see if there's some reason for the hold up.

Unrelated question, but one question that I didn't have the chance to ask upperyears during my interview day was how necessary it is to have a car in Lexington?

Unrelated question, but one question that I didn't have the chance to ask upperyears during my interview day was how necessary it is to have a car in Lexington?
I wish they had M3s at the tours, I would love to have done that again this year! That was my favorite extracurricular last year. Unfortunately, our schedules are not so flexible so for the most part you only see M1s and M2s on interview day (unless you interview with a student - I'm assuming you meant M3s and M4s when you said you didn't have a chance to talk to upper years).

To answer your question, you probably need a car. I know a lot of people who live near enough to campus that they can walk, but campus isn't very near any grocery stores. There is a bus system, but it's not super efficient. Third year we also have a rural rotation, and you'll need a means of getting there. So it would be inconvenient but not impossible to forego a car.

I wish they had M3s at the tours, I would love to have done that again this year! That was my favorite extracurricular last year. Unfortunately, our schedules are not so flexible so for the most part you only see M1s and M2s on interview day (unless you interview with a student - I'm assuming you meant M3s and M4s when you said you didn't have a chance to talk to upper years).

To answer your question, you probably need a car. I know a lot of people who live near enough to campus that they can walk, but campus isn't very near any grocery stores. There is a bus system, but it's not super efficient. Third year we also have a rural rotation, and you'll need a means of getting there. So it would be inconvenient but not impossible to forego a car.
Thanks! That's what's I assumed having visited, however compared to some cities up here the bussing/public transport seems a bit more efficient (and affordable, it's 2.30$ per ride in my hometown). Good to know for budgeting purposes! Hanks for answering questions! I might shoot a few more your way, because I am desperately hoping UK will tuition match SLU so it makes financial sense for me to come here. I absolutely loved it.

So I received an II in early-mid September (my first II of the cycle), but by that time, the earliest interview dates available were in January! Is that normal for Kentucky to have all of their slots fill up that quickly? And are there still spots available in the class by then?

Thanks!

So I received an II in early-mid September (my first II of the cycle), but by that time, the earliest interview dates available were in January! Is that normal for Kentucky to have all of their slots fill up that quickly? And are there still spots available in the class by then?

Thanks!
Looking at last years thread and the few before that (so take it with a grain of salt), I think their class fills up by December? [If I'm wrong feel free to correct me :)]

I think the later interview slots, certainly February, are mostly for the wait list / hold list.

That being said, if you think you're a strong candidate, and Kentucky is a top choice for you, definitely interview. Also consider calling to see if they could move your date up, or if they can squeeze you in if someone doesn't want their spot anymore.

I know one girl in my interview group got squeezed in as an extra just by calling!

Thanks! That's what's I assumed having visited, however compared to some cities up here the bussing/public transport seems a bit more efficient (and affordable, it's 2.30$ per ride in my hometown). Good to know for budgeting purposes! Hanks for answering questions! I might shoot a few more your way, because I am desperately hoping UK will tuition match SLU so it makes financial sense for me to come here. I absolutely loved it.

UK has a special loan on top of regular student loans if you need to cover car payments! I think you don't have to pay it back til after residency. The financial aid counselers would be happy to talk to you about it if you think it'd be helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stalk the site; my interview originally was Feb 7 but I snagged November 5 yesterday. They become available at odd times during the day.
Thanks! I (no joke) have been checking around three times a day since my II, but haven't seen anything pop up. I'm guessing they get snagged very quickly after they become available.

UK has a special loan on top of regular student loans if you need to cover car payments! I think you don't have to pay it back til after residency. The financial aid counselers would be happy to talk to you about it if you think it'd be helpful!
I'm not sure if I'd be eligible since I'm Canadian, but it's good for other people to know!

Thanks!
During one of the interview days in mid-January last year, Dr. Elam said there were still seats. I don't know if that's consistent year to year. They do fill the class fairly early, but there's lots of movement on the waitlist.

Does anyone know if a facebook group has been started for this year yet?

I know sometimes upper years will make one, or some people from SDN just create it

I was wondering about the Facebook page too. Also has anyone received the background check link yet?

I interviewed October 8th! I found out last thursday

Congrats on getting accepted! I actually interviewed on the same day as you! I was wondering if you graduated from UK? When I spoke to Admissions a week ago they said they wouldn't get to our interview group until November 11th. Hopefully, you are just really lucky and I didn't get passed over because UK is definitely one of my top schools!:)

Congrats again!!

Congrats on getting accepted! I actually interviewed on the same day as you! I was wondering if you graduated from UK? When I spoke to Admissions a week ago they said they wouldn't get to our interview group until November 11th. Hopefully, you are just really lucky and I didn't get passed over because UK is definitely one of my top schools!:)

Congrats again!!

I do know that interviewers are the ones who call, so it's very possible yours weren't available :)

Congrats again!!

I am currently finishing my undergrad at UK. On our interview day they told us October 28th, but I bet the committee just got behind. I am sure you didn't get passed over! I know UK sometimes places students on hold to continue discussing them so I wouldn't be too worried!

Has anyone received the little package they told us that they'd be mailing us?

I haven't got mine yet (probably since it's coming across the border) and I just want to make sure there isn't any time sensitive acceptance form I need to fill out or anything

@NeedACar they sent a letter that required response but I haven't heard anything about a packet.

Basically. It was an acceptance letter and then another paper where you checked a box saying you accept their offer and sign it. I just scanned mine and e-mailed it to them

Basically. It was an acceptance letter and then another paper where you checked a box saying you accept their offer and sign it. I just scanned mine and e-mailed it to them
Ah, perfect. Thanks! I'm just going to email them and hopefully they can send me one via email. Thanks again :)

For those of you that interviewed at Kentucky: is there a student hosting program available? Or did you choose to stay in a hotel?

For those of you that interviewed at Kentucky: is there a student hosting program available? Or did you choose to stay in a hotel?

There isnt a host program. I stayed at the University Inn and it was nice and close enough to walk to my interview!

to anyone who has interviewed already, do you have any advice? thanks in advance!

to anyone who has interviewed already, do you have any advice? thanks in advance!
Interviewed late August. I feel like everyone says this, but relax (seriously). The whole day is surprisingly laid back and conversational. We met in a conference room, met with some admissions people, and then the interviewers walked into the room and paired up with the applicants. The questions were pretty standard, just discussing your research, shadowing, background, etc. One question I wasn't prepared for was my thoughts on how I would address legislators regarding healthcare, ACA, etc. They weren't looking for a right or wrong answer, just wanted me to have a logical opinion on the matter. I also had an interview ask me to tell them a joke at the end of the interview (I froze, not even sure I can remember what joke I came up with). So you might have a joke in your back pocket in case that happens to you ;)

Don't sweat it.

Interviewed late August. I feel like everyone says this, but relax (seriously). The whole day is surprisingly laid back and conversational. We met in a conference room, met with some admissions people, and then the interviewers walked into the room and paired up with the applicants. The questions were pretty standard, just discussing your research, shadowing, background, etc. One question I wasn't prepared for was my thoughts on how I would address legislators regarding healthcare, ACA, etc. They weren't looking for a right or wrong answer, just wanted me to have a logical opinion on the matter. I also had an interview ask me to tell them a joke at the end of the interview (I froze, not even sure I can remember what joke I came up with). So you might have a joke in your back pocket in case that happens to you ;)

Don't sweat it.
Thanks for the response but I actually had already interviewed lol

On another note, what has everyone been doing about thank you notes for your interviewers

Thanks for the response but I actually had already interviewed lol

On another note, what has everyone been doing about thank you notes for your interviewers
This was a few years ago, but my interviewers both ended up reaching out to me before I could write them. It definitely saved me the social dance of figuring out whether or not to do it and paper vs email.

I get the sense it won't make a difference in whether or not you get in but that the people on the adcom are the type who appreciate that kind of thing. My info might be outdated though. It won't hurt you not to do it I don't think.

This was a few years ago, but my interviewers both ended up reaching out to me before I could write them. It definitely saved me the social dance of figuring out whether or not to do it and paper vs email.

I get the sense it won't make a difference in whether or not you get in but that the people on the adcom are the type who appreciate that kind of thing. My info might be outdated though. It won't hurt you not to do it I don't think.
Thanks! I went ahead and just sent them.

When is UK's next admissions committee meeting?

When is UK's next admissions committee meeting?
When I interviewed on the fifteenth, they said that they would be meeting on the 22nd of November and again on the 8th of December.

The admissions director also said that you should hear back in a month about whether you were accepted for rejected. If you hear nothing, then you would be put on hold and they would review all the on hold applications at the end of the year. If you do not hear back at the end of the year, then they will visit your application again in April.

ACCEPTED!!!! A week ago. ECSTATIC. STILL GETTING OVER IT. :D :D :D
That phone call was the most beautiful moment of my entire life!

Got a post interview deferred decision letter :( At least it's not a rejection.
Anyone know if they review the deferred applicants at every successive committee meeting or only when they finish interviewing everyone in the spring?
Trying to figure out when to best send an update letter.

Is it a "hold" letter? From what I understand, holds are reviewed once around December/January and then again in March for the waitlist. This is second-hand information though so don't quote me on it. I would call Kim Scott and ask her. She's always so nice and helpful.

Reactions: 1 users