This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Filmgal74 welcome on SDN, and good luck to your hubby!
Sadly for UTSW, I highly doubt he has a chance if he didn't meet the minimum required... They deal with so many people and there are so many competitive people that meet the requirements... however, I have no idea why he hasn't received a rejection yet. I think your best bet is UNT; hopefully he gets a positive response!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got the email earlier today that I am an alternate at TWU Houston!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys may think this is silly, but I have been reading this forum for months for my hubby!

He applied to UTSW and UNT back in mid-October, because he tried to take the GRE test one more time to get his essay score up (didn't work).

All I know is that his application is still under review at UNT.

We have heard nothing from UTSW. I am actually shocked that we have not received a rejection letter from UTSW, since his GRE essay scores were below the minimum (but the rest were just barely above the minimum). Since he hasn't received a rejection yet, is there any hope? Or just a matter of time to get the rejection letter?

Any information about when you have heard UTSW will let applicants know about interviews? They only have one set of interviews in January, correct?

My hubby is a bit unusual from most of you, as he is in his late 30's and this is a new career for him. In the past 20 years he has been a fitness trainer, an athletic coach for a world class karate competition team, a karate teacher, and has taught for almost 10 years at a local community college teaching wellness classes, self-defense, karate, pilates, and kickboxing.

Several years ago he did get his Bachelor and Masters degrees in Sports Management and Sports Injury prevention to get a full time teaching job, but that never happened (due to the economy crash of 2008 which froze full time hiring at his college).

He decided to change careers when a new law was passed in Texas a couple of years ago, that no longer required colleges to require one credit of fitness towards your degree. It effectively killed every fitness teaching job at every community college (and many big universities) in Texas.

He has spent the last 3 years working on prerequesites for the DPT, while still teaching and working in a PT clinic as a tech part time.

A friend of ours has an acquaintance on the UTSW board of directors, and a couple of years ago he had said that UTSW was looking for applicants with a more diverse background than in the past, so I hope that helps him.

Just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back SOMETHING! UTSW is his first pick, and UNT is the backup. Since we are established living in Plano (and that is where my business is located), UNT is a long long drive!

We'll be happy if he gets in either. (We didn't bother with TWU, as he did not like the school and the application fees seemed pretty high).

Any help or advise or news is helpful! Thanks everyone!

I had called the admissions office at UTSW a while back in september and asked what my options were because I didn't meet the required GRE score either. He said that they try to look at each applicant holistically. I'm pretty sure he said that so I would still apply and they could get money, but would end up being rejected. When I told him my quant GRE score of 145, he was like "oh yeah, that's TOO low". So they'd be willing to look if you have a low GRE score of 150. Lower than that, I don't think they would. But I could be wrong though.

I had called the admissions office at UTSW a while back in september and asked what my options were because I didn't meet the required GRE score either. He said that they try to look at each applicant holistically. I'm pretty sure he said that so I would still apply and they could get money, but would end up being rejected. When I told him my quant GRE score of 145, he was like "oh yeah, that's TOO low". So they'd be willing to look if you have a low GRE score of 150. Lower than that, I don't think they would. But I could be wrong though.

His Verbal and Quantitive GRE scores meet their minimum requirements. The only part that did not was his Essay portion.

@Filmgal74 welcome on SDN, and good luck to your hubby!
Sadly for UTSW, I highly doubt he has a chance if he didn't meet the minimum required... They deal with so many people and there are so many competitive people that meet the requirements... however, I have no idea why he hasn't received a rejection yet. I think your best bet is UNT; hopefully he gets a positive response!

His Verbal and Quantitive GRE scores meet their minimum requirements. The only part that did not was his Essay portion (the highest he was able to get, I believe, was a 3.5 out of the 4 or 4.5 they required for the essay).

He just emailed UTSW about his application status, and they responded that they had already sent out most of their notifications. However, they were still reviewing applications and would notify additional applicants as needed.

I guess that means that he is under consideration as an alternate? He still hasn't been rejected outright, so he must still be under consideration.

I just wish they would tell him SOMETHING.

UNT emailed back that they are still reviewing applications, and the last interview will take place in February. So just a general email. I guess it's good he has not received a rejection yet.

Crossing our fingers!

I got emails today saying I am on the alternate list at UTHSCSA (interviewed in October) and the wait list at UTMB (interviewed December 9).

What is the difference between being on an alternate list versus being on the wait list? Is one a better chance than the other?

Reactions: 1 user
What is the difference between being on an alternate list versus being on the wait list? Is one a better chance than the other?
There's not really a difference between the two, but I know at UTMB they put everyone they interview on a wait list and then they work from there based on how you score overall with your application and interview for alternates what I've experienced is that you get put on a list in which if there is availability you will be admitted into the class.

Update: I spoke to someone at UTSW and they told me that if we have not received an interview email by now we will be getting a rejection with in the next few days.:(

Update: I spoke to someone at UTSW and they told me that if we have not received an interview email by now we will be getting a rejection with in the next few days.:(

Bummer! I'll still hold out a tiny bit of hope for UTSW, but it's not looking good!

I'll keep praying for an interview for my hubby from UNT!

Reactions: 1 users
Good to know. Since I have an acceptance somewhere, I want the rest to get back with some answer so I can make a decision. I'm still leaving ASU but unthsc needs to communicate with me.

If I have yet to hear anything from TWU, and my application still says "awaiting department review", does that mean more than likely I will be getting a rejection since so many other people have been offered a spot or they told them they were an alternate??

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have yet to hear anything from TWU, and my application still says "awaiting department review", does that mean more than likely I will be getting a rejection since so many other people have been offered a spot or they told them they were an alternate??
Unfortunately that's the most likely scenario, but you could always call to ask.

Perhaps you might hear something either today or tomorrow since the 15th (today) is supposed to be the deadline?

I had a friend that had an internship in the PT dept. at UTSW and they liked him and everything, but because his GRE scores didn't meet the requirement, they still didn't accept him. They're very adamant about their criteria it seems. :/

I had a friend that had an internship in the PT dept. at UTSW and they liked him and everything, but because his GRE scores didn't meet the requirement, they still didn't accept him. They're very adamant about their criteria it seems. :/
Do you know off the top of your head what their GRE requirements are?

Do you know off the top of your head what their GRE requirements are?

Yes, It's 150 for both quant and verbal and then 4.0 for AW. To be a competitive applicant it would need to be greater, but that's the minimum for this year.

Yes, It's 150 for both quant and verbal and then 4.0 for AW. To be a competitive applicant it would need to be greater, but that's the minimum for this year.
Thank you!! I have those requirements met thank goodness. I have already accepted a position, but its still nerve wracking when you havent heard back from other schools you applied to.

If it's any consolation to you, that's what my portal says too and I've already heard back from them! So that's not their way of letting you know!

If my spot on a school's waiting list is "confidential" then I shouldn't bother calling to ask where I am on it, correct? I'm trying to decide whether I should start calling these schools I was waitlisted at and what I should ask.

If my spot on a school's waiting list is "confidential" then I shouldn't bother calling to ask where I am on it, correct? I'm trying to decide whether I should start calling these schools I was waitlisted at and what I should ask.
What schools?

In my experience it's good to just try to check on the status and whether they have started letting people off the list. It's never a bad thing just to try and see what's going on.

I've mostly heard schools won't give out the position on the wait list and just let you know status. However, I do have a friend who asked his position and they flat out told him he was second on the list and would most likely get in.

What schools?

For TWU mainly but I have other schools to call as well.

I've mostly heard schools won't give out the position on the wait list and just let you know status. However, I do have a friend who asked his position and they flat out told him he was second on the list and would most likely get in.

Yes seems like it wouldn't hurt to just call and ask to find out. The process has been stressful enough right?

For TWU mainly but I have other schools to call as well.

Yes seems like it wouldn't hurt to just call and ask to find out. The process has been stressful enough right?

Yeah I would still call!! I've been doing that regardless of disclosure of waitlist info.

Waitlisted at UIW! Anyone have insight as to my odds to get off the waitlist?

Has anyone heard from UNT recently?
Not yet! Hopefully by the end of the week they will send out some interview invites. If not, it looks like we'll all have to wait until the first week of January since they are not working during the holidays.

Just got an email from all the Texas Schools. All programs have been filled for all the classes of 2020. Better luck next year guys.

P.S. I would highly recommend yall go retake some classes. Horrible GPA'S.

Just got an email from all the Texas Schools. All programs have been filled for all the classes of 2020. Better luck next year guys.

Somebody needs a hug.

Reactions: 8 users

This is laughable.

Wow.

You sound like a great people person! Exactly what a PT needs to be!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard anything from UTEP? I've been waiting for them for months now, just looking for an update...even though I'm sure very few are even applying there.

Well I guess we have to wait until the first week of January for UNT :whistle:

Has anyone heard anything from UTEP? I've been waiting for them for months now, just looking for an update...even though I'm sure very few are even applying there.
I submitted my application to them in August and its the only school out of the 6 I applied to that I haven't heard from, I'm thinking they're schedule is a little later than most schools?

I submitted my application to them in August and its the only school out of the 6 I applied to that I haven't heard from, I'm thinking they're schedule is a little later than most schools?
I applied to UTEP also, it states on their website that we won't hear from them until mid January. We should hear from them in a couple of weeks.

Hmmm...I assume you're right. I guess we just keep waiting

Sounds good
Yeah still waiting from UTEP and UTMB (post-interview). Both should be coming mid-end of January. Good luck guys!! Wishing everyone the best. Still on Tech's alternate list but they're initial offers to save a spot are due on January 15th. January is really gonna be interesting haha.

Yeah still waiting from UTEP and UTMB (post-interview). Both should be coming mid-end of January. Good luck guys!! Wishing everyone the best. Still on Tech's alternate list but they're initial offers to save a spot are due on January 15th. January is really gonna be interesting haha.
Yup, best of luck to you as well. Hopefully, you get some good news soon

yeah i'm still waiting to hear from UTMB!!! That is the only school that would make me reconsider going to Texas State. I hope we hear soon!

yeah i'm still waiting to hear from UTMB!!! That is the only school that would make me reconsider going to Texas State. I hope we hear soon!
That's been my top choice since I interviewed so I'm hoping whatever I hear, it's a yes. I called them and they said we should hear something by the end on January!

That's been my top choice since I interviewed so I'm hoping whatever I hear, it's a yes. I called them and they said we should hear something by the end on January!
where did you apply and where did you get interviews at?

where did you apply and where did you get interviews at?
Tech UTMB UTSW UNT UTEP Chapman and UCF

Interviewed at Tech (11/18) and UTMB (9/9)

Waitlisted at Tech. So we're waiting! Haha