2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just listed pure and simple "reading" in mine. My position was "hobbyist."
Mine was "reader".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I put "Proud Dog Owner" as one of my positions held... Couldn't help myself:p

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where we can check our status (i.e. whether we are complete or not) after submitting the secondary?

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where we can check our status (i.e. whether we are complete or not) after submitting the secondary?

If I log into the secondary portal, mine says "Application Status: Submitted". I'm not sure if that means "complete" or not but it has a big green check mark next to it so I think that's a good thing? Anyone else's say anything different?

If I log into the secondary portal, mine says "Application Status: Submitted". I'm not sure if that means "complete" or not but it has a big green check mark next to it so I think that's a good thing? Anyone else's say anything different?
I have that too, but I meant like other sites will say mcat, lor, etc. So we can see if the entire app is complete. Thanks though!

Anyone know if a LOR from my PI counts as a science faculty letter? I know it says "that has taught you", but I think my PI has actually taught me more than many professors! ;) Has anyone talked to anyone at JH about this?

Anyone know if a LOR from my PI counts as a science faculty letter? I know it says "that has taught you", but I think my PI has actually taught me more than many professors! ;) Has anyone talked to anyone at JH about this?

If my memory serves me right, I think I read a thread on this here in which adcoms want the letter to come from someone you had a class with. This allows them to speak to the kind of work you can do since they have access to your grades and essays. So if you never took a class from your PI then probably not, however if you received class credit with a grade for research it might be more of a gray area..

If my memory serves me right, I think I read a thread on this here in which adcoms want the letter to come from someone you had a class with. This allows them to speak to the kind of work you can do since they have access to your grades and essays. So if you never took a class from your PI then probably not, however if you received class credit with a grade for research it might be more of a gray area..
I am in the same situation as @Bythelightofthemoon14 as I took a class as part of my research experience that met every week for over 2 hours! I am using it as one of my science letters so hopefully it's okay!

In addition to the application forms you are able to complete online, there are a few additional forms that may be necessary to download, print, and mail into our office. You will find these additional forms here in various formats, most frequently in .pdf format. To download .pdf forms, you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader (please see the additional information on the right of this screen for more information about Adobe Acrobat).

Is the form just the application instruction form??

Status update on portal dashboard:
Submitted 6/30
Complete app 7/11
App fee received.

Re: the rec letter issue

I'm not sure how strict these requirements are, though I am sure adherence varies between institutions. If you don't have a letter fulfilling a said requirement or don't think said letter is very strong, ask yourself how much of a gamble you'd be willing to take.

*strictly anecdotal evidence* When I applied, I had 2 letters from science professors, two from PIs, and one from our school's pre-health advisor. I was ultimately accepted to schools that asked for non-science LORs, clinical LORs, and "character" letters – none of which I had. I'm not sure how many schools rejected me or passed me over due to my LOR profile, but IMHO letter requirements seem to be much more lax than the many other dimensions of your AMCAS.

On the other hand, if a school explicitly asks for no more than x number of letters, don't send them any more than that.

I submitted mine 7/11. now just hoping for an interview. I'd love to be a part of their singing videos.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This secondary is pissing me off its so repetitive and the character limits are annoying ugh

Submitted on 7/4, but my application status on the page still only says "Submitted" with a check mark. Anyone else in the same boat?

Submitted on 7/4, but my application status on the page still only says "Submitted" with a check mark. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yep. Submitted a week ago and got secondary apps from all the schools that don't screen, except for Hopkins.

Yep. Submitted a week ago and got secondary apps from all the schools that don't screen, except for Hopkins.

Oh, what I meant was, I have received the JHU secondary, submitted THAT on 7/4, and still waiting for any status change on the JHU login page. Keep faith! You'll get yours soon, for the night is dark and full of terrors!;)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, what I meant was, I have received the JHU secondary, submitted THAT on 7/4, and still waiting for any status change on the JHU login page. Keep faith! You'll get yours soon, for the night is dark and full of terrors!;)

I am in the same boat as you (submitted 7/9), but I am sure our status's will change soon.

Oh my bad. I misunderstood. But on the bright side, I finally got my secondary app! (Also, I see what you did there ;) )

Has anyone verified recently received a secondary?

Does JHU send out secondaries pre-verification?

Got the message on my dashboard: "Your application was completed on 7/21/2016" with a green check mark next to it. However, the application fee line says "Not submitted" despite my FAP waiver. Anyone else in the same boat?

Under review email received!
is this an email separate from the "thank you for your application we look forward to reviewing your application?" one you get right after submitting?

Yea i got the same email today. Submitted 07/01. And it was a different email than the one you get right after submitting.

When did you submit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
  • APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED
    success.gif

PRINT RECEIPT
    • Submitted Date: 6/30/2016
    Your application was completed on 7/11/2016
    success.gif
  • Application Fee: Received

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! Same email. I thought I was complete, but I guess I was not until now!

Yep! Same email. I thought I was complete, but I guess I was not until now!
You were complete when you were complete. This email is just to say they just started the review process. I pray we all hear good news soon!

A little confused on what to put down for the effective start and end date of my address...

A little confused on what to put down for the effective start and end date of my address...
If you're living there this whole year use end date of 8/2017 (when med school starts). For start date, just use the date you moved in, or this month. I think this is only used for mailing purposes, so they just want to know where to mail things between now and matriculation

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

FAP recipients, did the fee waiver automatically appear on your secondary app or did you have to contact Ms. Mazza first?

I had to contact

Got it. Do we have to contact the school just before we submit the app or can we reach out to them in advance (i.e a week or so beforehand)?

EDIT:
Never mind

Last edited:
So how bad does it look with no employment at all?

Still haven't gotten an under review email :/ guess ill be waiting a while

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied over a month ago but still haven't received a secondary yet... getting worried:/

Question... about the essays.

"This space is limited to 1100 characters. Please type directly in this box or, you can create your essays in a word processor and then cut and paste your response into the essay box. Please do not use tabs or hard returns."

I tend to break my thought processes into paragraphs pretty regularly. Does "no hard returns" mean stick to only one paragraph?

I believe so, yes.

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited: