2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh how time flies. Current MS1 and happy to answer any questions – I've had a stellar first year in Baltimore and can't wait to see the new batch of MS1s rolling in this August.

Stats [source]
~6,500 applicants
~4,500 secondaries completed (though no screen)
~600 interviewed (MD) + ~60 interviewed (MSTP)
As per interview day, about 200 are accepted, 200 waitlisted, and 200 rejected.
~250 total acceptances
~120 matriculated (10-12 MSTP students)

As per interview day, there is no in-state bias.

2015-2016 Secondary Application (there is no screen)
  1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 characters)
  2. If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 characters)
  3. List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: (600 characters)
  4. Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 characters)
  5. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 characters)
  6. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 characters)
  7. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? (1100 characters)
  8. If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. (1100 characters)
*Note: in the 2014-15 AND 15-16 application cycle it sometimes took over a month for a submitted secondary to be marked as complete.
*Note: you can discuss experiences already selected as "most meaningful" or discuss entirely different ones; applicants from either approach received interviews and acceptances so do not fret. Yes, the secondary questions are somewhat redundant, but trust me... JHU is worth it. ;)

2015-2016 Important Dates
First secondary: July 6th, 2015
First interview: August 6th, 2015
First acceptances, waitlist, & post interview rejections: December 8th, 2015 via portal update (with email alert)
First pre-interview rejection: December 10th, 2015
First waitlist acceptance: May 10th, 2016

JHU is semi-rolling, so post-interview decisions are relayed solely in Dec, Jan, and March. As per JHU’s Facebook page, waitlist movement usually occurs by mid-May. The waitlist is unranked, and there is no differentiation between alternate list vs. waitlist.

Update Letter Policy
Updates are not accepted pre-interview. Post-interview updates may be sent to Ms. Valerie Mazza at: vmazz[email protected]

Curriculum
Genes to Society 1.5 year condensed preclinical. Preclinical has been P/F since 2009.
  • Pass is set to 70%
  • Clinicals are graded honours/high pass/pass/fail
  • Lectures are non-mandatory and recorded; labs and small group activities have 80% required attendance
Interview
One faculty interview, one MS4 student interview. Faculty interview is open-file.

While waiting for interviews you will be in a "fishbowl" waiting room, where you can interact with the MS4s (you will be pulled aside by one for the student interview). You are technically under evaluation during this time, but don't fret or fuss – just don't sit on your phone/heckle your peers/fall asleep and you ought to be fine.

How Much Time Do I Get to Study For Step?

Because this is such a popular question on SDN ;) : Step1 can be taken prior to rotations or after your first clinical rotation.

"Since Hopkins operates on 9-week blocks, most students allocate one block for boards studying, often using 6-7 weeks to study and 2-3 weeks for vacation. Students who feel a strong command of the subject matter can often complete studying in four weeks, but weak test takers have taken up to 13 weeks in the past. Students who use more time to study have less time for elective rotations. Because the summer term has an extra four weeks, students can use this time in combination with the prior or subsequent term (Summer H1&2 or Q1, respectively) to have 13 weeks for studying." [Source: Class MedWiki]

Student Life, Resources, and Other Goodies

As per my interview day in '14 and the second lookers I met, JHU's interview day appears "sells" itself less than other institutions. (I personally liked that, but I know some people like the sales pitch approach because they feel it gives them more discrete information). If you have any lingering questions about JHU, Baltimore, or med school life in general please reach out to current students!

And here's our '16 Second Look Video feat. the mad skills of Med19

Financial Aid
  • As of 2014-2016 (EDIT: and 2016-7), JHU offers a $20,500 unit loan and need based aid only.
  • As per interview day, the average graduate debt for the class of 2013 was $108,000 (not including undergrad debt).
  • Please don't call to try and match scholarship offers; once again – Hopkins is strictly need-based. If you have questions about your aid package, please contact the finaid department (which also does one-on-one appointments during Second Look).
Of Note + FAQs
  • Johns Hopkins Admissions has an informative and frequently-updated Facebook page. Check it out.
  • There is no internal ranking in the preclinical years. According to this evaluation of MSPEs, the Johns Hopkins’s Dean’s Letter provides: “Incomplete data. The summary paragraph sometimes concludes with a Most Confident and Enthusiastic recommendation, or with a Confident and Enthusiastic recommendation. But there are no appendices that define a student's performance relative to his or her peers.”
  • AOA is done post-match
  • If Match lists really tickle your fancy, you can find the Class of '16 here
som2.jpg

Oh, and we have a cool dome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Everyone that knows me, know how obsessed I am with this school. To an insane level. Everytime I drove by my heart flutters lol

Here's to Bmore and a great cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
The school website and MSAR state that three LORs are required, all academic. My question is, can we submit more than three? MSAR does state that maximum number is three. I am just a but surprised I suppose that there is no option to submit additional LORs from physicians you have shadowed or done research with.

The school website and MSAR state that three LORs are required, all academic. My question is, can we submit more than three? MSAR does state that maximum number is three. I am just a but surprised I suppose that there is no option to submit additional LORs from physicians you have shadowed or done research with.

I found the answer on the FAQ page of the admissions website.

I found the answer on the FAQ page of the admissions website.

I was wondering the same thing. Found this on their facebook:

"...If your undergraduate institution lacks a committee letter (or packet), we require three letters of recommendation. Two of those letters must be from faculty who have taught you in the sciences and one must be from a non-science faculty member. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what non-science means, so to make it easy, think of non-science letters as coming from the faculty who taught you in one of the subjects where you are required to have 24 credits (or credit hours) of Humanities, Social and/or Behavioral Sciences. Also, if you are unsure what falls within the "sciences," think of subjects within the life or natural sciences (note: engineering courses are okay if they deal with biomedical or chemical engineering).

And for those who ask about the maximum number of letters they may submit, we will accept a 4th letter from anyone who has graduated and has worked for a year since graduation or has been enrolled as a graduate student: in a case like this we require a letter from a supervisor who is familiar with your employment or graduate studies. For all others who want to send additional letters, we cannot guarantee that we will review any more than three letters and there is no advantage in the selection process to submitting more than three letters."

Hi @hellanutella ! Thanks in advance for your time.

Based off your experience and that of your classmate, how important is research in an application?

I have a bit of research experience, but it sounds like everyone who gets into Hopkins has impressive publications etc., I love Hopkins and I love your school's mission! I just hope I get half a chance with my experience.

Hi @hellanutella ! Thanks in advance for your time.

Based off your experience and that of your classmate, how important is research in an application?

I have a bit of research experience, but it sounds like everyone who gets into Hopkins has impressive publications etc., I love Hopkins and I love your school's mission! I just hope I get half a chance with my experience.

I think a fair portion of my class didn't have any "formal" research experience. However, what most of my classmates share is that they were able to lead or significantly contribute to some sort of endeavour (be it community service, basic/clinical research, a home business, a humanities project, a sports team, a personal hobby... and the list goes on and on). I think Hopkins just wants to see that you have the innovative drive, teamwork skills, and leadership potential to do something meaningful in medicine. [Honestly, I think this is something all medical schools look for – not just Hopkins. If I had to go out on a limb, the least attractive applicant for Hopkins may be the one who had minor involvement in all their activities for the sake of "checking boxes." Show Johnny Hops that you're passionate about something!]

Between MS1-2 you will do a "Scholarly Concentration" research project, which can encompass everything from working in a lab to identifying a new gene to creating a graphic novel detailing your experience in medicine. The five main arenas are clinical research, basic research, public health, history of medicine, and ethics & the art of medicine. This is your time to answer some little nagging question you've always had about medicine or to delve into an area of study that interests you. As long as you work under a Hopkins mentor, you get three thousand dollarydoos to boot.

And another SDN myth to dispel: publications are by no means the norm!

We have our final test on Monday so feel free to flood this thread with questions, as our class will [hopefully] have more and more free time as the summer nears. Best of luck! :luck: We MS2s are excited to start tour guiding and hosting y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think a fair portion of my class didn't have any "formal" research experience. However, what most of my classmates share is that they were able to lead or significantly contribute to some sort of endeavour (be it community service, basic/clinical research, a home business, a humanities project, a sports team, a personal hobby... and the list goes on and on). I think Hopkins just wants to see that you have the innovative drive, teamwork skills, and leadership potential to do something meaningful in medicine. [Honestly, I think this is something all medical schools look for – not just Hopkins. If I had to go out on a limb, the least attractive applicant for Hopkins may be the one who had minor involvement in all their activities for the sake of "checking boxes." Show Johnny Hops that you're passionate about something!]

Between MS1-2 you will do a "Scholarly Concentration" research project, which can encompass everything from working in a lab to identify a new gene to creating a graphic novel detailing your experience in medicine. The five main arenas are clinical research, basic research, public health, history of medicine, and ethics & the art of medicine. This is your time to answer some little nagging question you've always had about medicine or to delve into an area of study that interests you. As long as you work under a Hopkins mentor, you get three thousand dollarydoos to boot.

And another SDN myth to dispel: publications are by no means the norm!

We have our final test on Monday so feel free to flood this thread with questions, as our class will [hopefully] have more and more free time as the summer nears. Best of luck! :luck: We MS2s are excited to start tour guiding and hosting y'all.
The scholarly concentration project sounds awesome, and is one of this many things I am excited about at Hopkins! And thanks for clarifying. Good luck on your final!

Hey folks, quick question, in their pre-req requirements, they want 24 hrs of humanities and social sciences and they do mention English courses being acceptable. Would classes like "Comp I" and other introductory/upper-level English courses fit the requirement? I emailed their officer but they haven't gotten back.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
spacer.gif

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 char)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 char)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 char)

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? (1100 char)

-EhPBSPXxt4dH0ykrgQEyR_3aZiTfP_-6hTaDBGYFxkpwF_08-J4qZGmDyCb16jlhvAh0A0tPwtt6OQDB_q3IQZ2_RINHcaX34YZq9YcbKfcypiwp-lexqkwESNBkM69y75Aba90

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (1100 char)

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. (1100 char)

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having the same issue as well.

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems uploading their photo? I can't view it after I upload it.

Any re-applicants out there having issues accessing this cycle's secondary? I can only see what I submitted from my previous application.

This ones weird. They want you to stick it in a word document and then send that. At least if I read the instructions correctly..
Figured it out. They accept .pdf! And although they say .jpg, it didn't work for me.

Do you know for the academic honors or awards, is that limited to both academic honors and academic awards or can it be any award (i.e. sports?)

For hours per week for intermittent activities, should I do the normal hours per week when active or the hours per week when total hours are averaged over the activities duration. Ex. 10 hours/week in the lab over the school year; 0 over the summer; 360 hours total. Would I put 1o hours/week or 7/week?

For hours per week for intermittent activities, should I do the normal hours per week when active or the hours per week when total hours are averaged over the activities duration. Ex. 10 hours/week in the lab over the school year; 0 over the summer; 360 hours total. Would I put 1o hours/week or 7/week?
That was a huge problem for me as well since it varied so much. I decided to actually choose the time period that I put in the most work per week. Because some months I'd do like 3 hours a week, and then others I'd do 15 for a long stretch. They can look at the primary to see everything.

I haven't submitted yet though, so maybe someone has a better way.

I just did my average per week, for the weeks that I was reasonably active. There's no real way to indicate the above: that some weeks require so much work and others are a trickle of hours at best.

I just did my average per week, for the weeks that I was reasonably active. There's no real way to indicate the above: that some weeks require so much work and others are a trickle of hours at best.
What did you do for the academic awards? I feel like there is no other way for me to list them out than the way I already listed them in the primary application. I mean, I guess I could rearrange them?

I only have one, so it wasn't an issue. And it wasn't important enough to put on my primary

I just feel like a bum because a ton of my activities only averaged out to like 2-4 hours a week. :confused:

Same for a lot of mine. I tend to do a lot of things more then heavily involving myself in one

Excited to throw my hat in the ring, this is my dream school! Could any current students comment on what y'all typically do for fun outside of class? Like intramurals, etc. I've never been to Baltimore so I'm not too familiar with the city!

Same for a lot of mine. I tend to do a lot of things more then heavily involving myself in one

Exactly. The funny thing is I have a lot of activities that I stuck with for years, but they each amount to only a few hours per week even though their total hour count looks more impressive haha.

If I recall correctly, I just averaged mine out. This has been a common question year after year, but I think the admissions office won't penalize you for having 0.5 h/week listed for sporadic activities.

Excited to throw my hat in the ring, this is my dream school! Could any current students comment on what y'all typically do for fun outside of class? Like intramurals, etc. I've never been to Baltimore so I'm not too familiar with the city!

There's quite a bit to do in Bmore City – intramurals are huge here since there's a lot of grad students around in the city. There's a big city-wide soccer league (most practice either at Pat Park or in Fed Hill) and there's a volleyball league that runs indoors at the med center gym during the cooler months and at the beach volleyball court during the summer. A good handful of our classmates go on weekend camping excursions in PA/WV.

Aside from athletics and outdoorsy stuff, food is huge. I've been here a year and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface on all the restaurants here. Restaurant week runs about twice a year, so stay in the loop for that!

There's a lot of events in the city itself, be it beer/wine festivals, concerts, and the like. DC, Philly, and NYC are all easy weekend trips if you want a change of scene (though I have regularly done DC and Philly as just a day trip).

If I recall correctly, I just averaged mine out. This has been a common question year after year, but I think the admissions office won't penalize you for having 0.5 h/week listed for sporadic activities.

There's quite a bit to do in Bmore City – intramurals are huge here since there's a lot of grad students around in the city. There's a big city-wide soccer league (most practice either at Pat Park or in Fed Hill) and there's a volleyball league that runs indoors at the med center gym during the cooler months and at the beach volleyball court during the summer. A good handful of our classmates go on weekend camping excursions in PA/WV.

Aside from athletics and outdoorsy stuff, food is huge. I've been here a year and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface on all the restaurants here. Restaurant week runs about twice a year, so stay in the loop for that!

There's a lot of events in the city itself, be it beer/wine festivals, concerts, and the like. DC, Philly, and NYC are all easy weekend trips if you want a change of scene (though I have regularly done DC and Philly as just a day trip).

I triple restaurant week! And getting into Bmore sports, it's a culture!

Lol DC is totally an afternoon trip. I get to Bmore in 25mins.

Note: not a student here, a local :)

Oops, I guess I messed that one up. It'll be obvious for admissions though with the way some of my activities are listed. I'll just let them know if it ever becomes relevant.

Under the extracurriculars part "List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement. For unknown end dates, we suggest you use the matriculation date of 8/1/2017:" - do they mean travel as in that trip I made to Europe with my family over the summer?

Under the extracurriculars part "List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement. For unknown end dates, we suggest you use the matriculation date of 8/1/2017:" - do they mean travel as in that trip I made to Europe with my family over the summer?
I think they mean ongoing activities (that you plan to keep doing)

For the activities section of the secondary, should we list research for credit as paid work or unpaid volunteering?

"List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement."

Well I like to cook and explore new cuisines and go a bunch of restaurants and stuff. I also go diving and like to weight lift. Do all those count even though I never did them in any sort of formalized forum?

Should unpaid undergraduate research assistant positions go in the category of "extracurriculars?" I feel like they don't fall in the category of community service/volunteer, but I could be wrong...

"List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement."

Well I like to cook and explore new cuisines and go a bunch of restaurants and stuff. I also go diving and like to weight lift. Do all those count even though I never did them in any sort of formalized forum?

Yep! Informal hobbies sometimes make for the best interview discussion subjects!

For the activities section of the secondary, should we list research for credit as paid work or unpaid volunteering?
Should unpaid undergraduate research assistant positions go in the category of "extracurriculars?" I feel like they don't fall in the category of community service/volunteer, but I could be wrong...

I'd just allot them under volunteer, as you were not on payroll. :shrug:

I just listed pure and simple "reading" in mine. My position was "hobbyist."