2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! Quick question about the VCU secondary. I completed it a few minutes ago and when I return to the "File Status" tab it says that my application is incomplete. I have submitted the supplement and paid the fee. All of my letters have been received by AMCAS. Why is it still considering my application incomplete? Am I missing something else?

I believe they need to download your letters or something. Give it a few days.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else experiencing an error where the "Application Status" is blank? After I log in to the VCU application portal, there is no text displayed at all under "Application Status" even though I got an email saying to log in to check the update message.

Is anyone else experiencing an error where the "Application Status" is blank? After I log in to the VCU application portal, there is no text displayed at all under "Application Status" even though I got an email saying to log in to check the update message.

There's a button at the top that says supplemental app. That'll take you to the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Careful about how you look at the numbers! "II" means interview invite.

(# OOS interviews) / (# OOS applicants) = (480) / (6567) = 0.0731

So about 7% of the OOS applicant pool was interviewed in the 2013-2014 cycle.
I really don't know where you get this number from. VCU SOM class consist of about 48-50% OOS!

I believe they need to download your letters or something. Give it a few days.
Did it automatically change for most people or did it take a couple days. Was verified first day and got my letters into AMCAS on the 18th, so I don't think that is the holdup

Did it automatically change for most people or did it take a couple days. Was verified first day and got my letters into AMCAS on the 18th, so I don't think that is the holdup
It hasn't changed for me either. I've been verified since the 12th with my letters. I believe VCU needs to download it into their system. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Submitted my secondary today! Crossing my fingers for an interview! I actually thought the prompt was a nice relief from all the "tell me about yourself" secondaries I've been filling out recently.

Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary essay, are we supposed to answer based on HIPPA rather than how you morally feel? Thanks for any suggestions!

For the secondary essay, are we supposed to answer based on HIPPA rather than how you morally feel? Thanks for any suggestions!
Hmm I don't see how HIPAA is the issue. More of a state law issue on age of consent, and local health center/hospital policy.

Did anyone receive a conformation email after submission? Because I didn't

anyone get secondaries today'? still waiting for mine

Members don't see this ad :)
to everyone saying you've gotten secondaries, is that different from the email that says ***THIS IS A COMPUTER-GENERATED MESSAGE THAT IS SENT TO APPLICANTS WHOSE APPLICATION STATUS HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS.*** because I've gotten that email and am able to access the secondary through the link?
I haven't gotten an actual email that says come do the secondary however..

to everyone saying you've gotten secondaries, is that different from the email that says ***THIS IS A COMPUTER-GENERATED MESSAGE THAT IS SENT TO APPLICANTS WHOSE APPLICATION STATUS HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS.*** because I've gotten that email and am able to access the secondary through the link?
I haven't gotten an actual email that says come do the secondary however..
Nope, that's it. They give you access to the secondary app, which changes your application status and triggers that email.

So it looks like the essay was supposed to be different from last year's. Same problem happened last cycle as well according to 2014-2015 thread. Hopefully they will honor the applications that were already written to the old prompt?

Attachments

• vcu.PNG
    vcu.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 235
So it looks like the essay was supposed to be different from last year's. Same problem happened last cycle as well according to 2014-2015 thread. Hopefully they will honor the applications that were already written to the old prompt?

I brought this up earlier in this thread - if you've already submitted the secondary with the old prompt, you're fine. If you haven't submitted it yet, however, you're expected to write a response to the new prompt.

I brought this up earlier in this thread - if you've already submitted the secondary with the old prompt, you're fine. If you haven't submitted it yet, however, you're expected to write a response to the new prompt.

Oops, didn't see your earlier post there but thanks for the info. It's too bad the same thing happened again!

Anyone know what the new essay is?

Edit: thought today was 7/7, never mind! Haha

Was this update on the portal or you got an email about it? I can't find this announcement anywhere on my portal yet

where did you get this message? It's nowhere to be found in my secondary portal.

where did you get this message? It's nowhere to be found in my secondary portal.

I didn't get an email, it was just on the login page of the portal. I've attached a larger screenshot of the page.

I've already submitted the secondary, I just wanted to check whether they'd received my LOR and noticed the announcement.

Attachments

• vcu2.PNG
    vcu2.PNG
    40.4 KB · Views: 170
I didn't get an email, it was just on the login page of the portal. I've attached a larger screenshot of the page.

I've already submitted the secondary, I just wanted to check whether they'd received my LOR and noticed the announcement.
edit

Last edited:
As I just wrote this over the weekend, I am really pissed. What is the new question (not at a computer I can access, at work)

They haven't posted the new question yet. The announcement says they will try to upload it tomorrow 7/7

I would assume that if you can squeeze in a submission today under the old prompt, it would still be accepted since they haven't given out the new question yet. But that's just my guess, it would probably best to call and check?

Reactions: 1 users
I just called. And if you have already submitted it then don't worry about it. If not, then do the new essay. Just like last year.

Reactions: 2 users

So you need to resubmit an answer to the new question??

Last edited:
I just called. And if you have already submitted it then don't worry about it. If not, then do the new essay. Just like last year.
Hmm, I'm thinking of just submitting the old question today, as I spent a whole afternoon on it. This school is rapidly falling on my list.

So you need to resubmit an answer to the new question?? Wow, that really sucks. Not the brightest crayons in the box over there. Really questioning if this how they treat applicants, not really owning up to the problem, and offering a service recovery of allowing you to answer either question, how will they treat medical students?

If you looked at the post I just wrote then you would know the answer to this problem.

They let people submit the original prompt until 7/16 according to last years thread. Ugg I actually liked my essay for this prompt. Hopefully the new one isn't bad.

They let people submit the original prompt until 7/16 according to last years thread. Ugg I actually liked my essay for this prompt. Hopefully the new one isn't bad.
I hope this is the case, but that is not what the application login says. We'll see, guess we all start over. Someone needs to have a difficult conversation with these VCU admin admission folks.

OOS, got the secondary on Friday night! VCU is definitely near the top of my list

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education"

Does this refer to gap years? Or individual course withdrawals? Or just time taken off during UG?

submitted!! guys be careful when you're juggling through various tabs. sometimes what you wrote tends to vanish away. Had to upload my picture twice cz once it just disappeared.

I hope this is the case, but that is not what the application login says. We'll see, guess we all start over. Someone needs to have a difficult conversation with these VCU admin admission folks.
I just had the opportunity to view the application login (my internet has been down). I doubt they'll let us submit the original essay either. What a bummer... I had planned on submitting today. I would have submitted last night but I didn't have a current photo. Back to the drawing board...

submitted!! guys be careful when you're juggling through various tabs. sometimes what you wrote tends to vanish away. Had to upload my picture twice cz once it just disappeared.
Did you submit the old essay?

Does this refer to gap years? Or individual course withdrawals? Or just time taken off during UG?
I briefly explained what I did in the year I took off in UG and what I am currently involved in in my gap year.

Did you submit the old essay?

i was just going through this thread after submission. yea i submitted the old essay. i logged in twice today and both the time it showed the same essay, so i guess the new one isn't up yet?

i was just going through this thread after submission. yea i submitted the old essay. i logged in twice today and both the time it showed the same essay, so i guess the new one isn't up yet?
Apparently they are supposed to upload the new prompt sometime tomorrow.

I wrote about my gap 2 years.

I asked this specific question to the Admissions Office this past cycle. They replied that you should answer as an "open" prompt and explain any time off during/after undergrad or briefly explain any lapses in academic excellence (i.e. low grades, low MCAT, withdrawals, etc.)

In my primary application, I indicated a strong interest in primary care, and in my secondary application, I indicated family medicine and primary care as potential specialities in which I am interested. Would it hurt my application if I choose not to apply to the Family Medicine Scholars Training & Admissions Track (fmSTAT)? I'm not 100% committed to family medicine, but I feel that if I don't apply to fmSTAT in my secondary, it would make my interest in primary care seem disingenuous. Should I go ahead and apply to fmSTAT to make the narrative in my application consistent? Will applying or not applying to fmSTAT affect my chances for an interview and acceptance at VCU?

In my primary application, I indicated a strong interest in primary care, and in my secondary application, I indicated family medicine and primary care as potential specialities in which I am interested. Would it hurt my application if I choose not to apply to the Family Medicine Scholars Training & Admissions Track (fmSTAT)? I'm not 100% committed to family medicine, but I feel that if I don't apply to fmSTAT in my secondary, it would make my interest in primary care seem disingenuous. Should I go ahead and apply to fmSTAT to make the narrative in my application consistent? Will applying or not applying to fmSTAT affect my chances for an interview and acceptance at VCU?
Well I looked at this website (http://www.familymedicine.vcu.edu/education/student-programs/fmstat/) and the second sentence literally states "certain." There are also only 10 spots for this program. You said you had a strong preference and weren't 100% committed so I wouldn't. It seems really competitive since it only has 10 spots and I'm sure there are 10 people applying out there who are certain. The question, where you list the three areas of interest in the secondary, also states that a percent of students change their mind about the area of interest as they go through medical school. So I'm sure they won't mind the fact that you aren't 100% committed to one area. :)

Nobody should post LizzyM. If we are trying to help people out just say your actual GPA and MCAT for goodness sake.

IS. 3.6 cGPA. 3.8 sGPA. 10/10/11 MCAT - Processed July 6th. Looking forward to this cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
Nobody should post LizzyM. If we are trying to help people out just say your actual GPA and MCAT for goodness sake.

IS. 3.6 cGPA. 3.8 sGPA. 10/10/11 MCAT - Processed July 6th. Looking forward to this cycle!
That is fine, but some folks like to keep a level of anonymity. I am out there with my information in MDAPPS, but I respect others comfort levels. LizzyM is a pretty good benchmark IMHO.

Last edited:
Bleh. They changed the prompt - "Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)"

Bleh. They changed the prompt - "Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)"
Thanks for posting the new prompt. I'm going to have to do a little research to answer this one.