2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the secondary too. Weird that we got it today on a holiday, but no complaints here!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS and just received my secondary!

The secondary is the same.

However, how many possible ways are there to approach this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received about 40 mins ago :)

OOS, received secondary. Out of curiosity, my advisory committee has yet to finish their letter. Is it fine to complete the secondary and submit? Or should I wait until they are finished?

Nope go ahead and submit...they will simply wait to review your file until your letters are received. As a matter of fact, do this for all schools, as it can look bad if you take too long to submit a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope go ahead and submit...they will simply wait to review your file until your letters are received. As a matter of fact, do this for all schools, as it can look bad if you take too long to submit a secondary.

obviously its better to get them in earlier, but what would be the upper limit to wait? 2-3 weeks?

Got the secondary, too! OOS Texas applicant.

To respond to the previous question about the screening process:

"Applications are received in the Admissions Office and reviewed by a sub-committee. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will receive a supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee’s policy to send supplemental applications only to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool. To assist you in understanding this decision process, we received over 9,000 applications in 2014 and send supplementals to only about 2,800 candidates. The decision to send a supplemental is based on AAMC Holistic Review Project E-A-M Model of evaluating Experiences, Attributes and Metrics to determine how the applicant might contribute to VCU School of Medicine learning environment as well as to the medical profession as a future physician."
Taken from: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/application_status/

Reactions: 3 users
Oh wow, well I'm glad I made the screen! That makes me feel better. Received secondary today and wrote the essay a few days ago, I actually really like the prompt, definitely allows people to think outside the box and for them to get a different perspective of you. Just need to get my photo in and then I'm submitting tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, well I'm glad I made the screen! That makes me feel better. Received secondary today and wrote the essay a few days ago, I actually really like the prompt, definitely allows people to think outside the box and for them to get a different perspective of you. Just need to get my photo in and then I'm submitting tomorrow!

totally agree with you. I didn't realize how many people they screened out this early!

^^^^ Wow! I feel special :) Going to try to submit this weekend! Anyone know when they sent out IIs last year?

Does anyone know the maximum number of letters you can submit?

can people who got secondaries post stats? worried i didn't get one yet. LizzyM of `70

"Applications are received in the Admissions Office and reviewed by a sub-committee. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will receive a supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee’s policy to send supplemental applications only to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool. To assist you in understanding this decision process, we received over 9,000 applications in 2014 and send supplementals to only about 2,800 candidates. The decision to send a supplemental is based on AAMC Holistic Review Project E-A-M Model of evaluating Experiences, Attributes and Metrics to determine how the applicant might contribute to VCU School of Medicine learning environment as well as to the medical profession as a future physician."
Taken from: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/application_status/

That makes me feel way better, though I'm also kinda surprised that they have started sending out secondaries so soon, considering this initial screening.

@noflag I have a LizzyM of 72 and got a secondary.

LizzyM only takes into account your GPA and MCAT though. I think it still early :) Im sure more will come on Monday as reviews are being done!

I received the secondary today as well. I'm going to aim to get it in by Monday! :)

got a secondary, blegh this ethical dilemma stuff is a lot tougher than the classic challenge or diversity questions
LizzyM ~76

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education"

Does this refer to gap years as well?

Submitted! Spoke to the admissions director a few months ago and they're super nice. that screen is crazy.

In terms of addressing lapses in education, should I address my one semester where I had to withdrawal from 3 classes? I still completed 2 classes.

Got the secondary last night!

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education"

Does this refer to gap years as well?

I was wondering the same thing as well. Technically our undergraduate education was completed prior to the gap year (assuming you're referring to a gap year after graduation). With that in mind, I think I'm going to leave that blank although I'm not sure.

What are others saying who have taken gap years?

I was wondering the same thing as well. Technically our undergraduate education was completed prior to the gap year (assuming you're referring to a gap year after graduation). With that in mind, I think I'm going to leave that blank although I'm not sure.

What are others saying who have taken gap years?

I'm leaving it blank unless someone says otherwise. The way the questions is worded "lapses in undergraduate education" makes me think they mean if you took time off while actively pursuing a degree, therefore I don't think gap years after graduation count.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm leaving it blank unless someone says otherwise. The way the questions is worded "lapses in undergraduate education" makes me think they mean if you took time off while actively pursuing a degree, therefore I don't think gap years after graduation count.

Agreed. Just submitted so I guess there's no going back now.

Secondary received with a LizzyM of 65...have hope! In term of "lapse"...can that also mean poor semesters?

Applying OOS here with a LizzyM 70 and got a secondary yesterday

That's how I interpreted it.

I really believe Lapse means any gap time you have took. Just saying.

Also I got a secondary with my horrible stats somehow even though they pre-screen.

LizzyM 66

lapse
laps/
noun
plural noun: lapses
  1. 1.
    a temporary failure of concentration, memory, or judgment.
    "a lapse of concentration in the second set cost her the match"
    synonyms: failure, failing, slip, error, mistake, blunder, fault, omission, hiccup;
    informalslip-up
    "a lapse of concentration"

2. 2.
    an interval or passage of time.
    "there was a considerable lapse of time between the two events"
    synonyms: interval, gap, pause, interlude, lull, hiatus, break
    "a lapse of time"

you can intemperate it many different ways :) I have both a "failure" and a "Gap" to talk about. yay....

Reactions: 2 users
I really believe Lapse means any gap time you have took. Just saying.

Also I got a secondary with my horrible stats somehow even though they pre-screen.

LizzyM 66

Oh well, too late now.. I interpreted it with this definition.

synonyms: failure, failing, slip, error, mistake, blunder, fault, omission, hiccup;

LizzyM 66 as well for the record.

Edit: Oh look someone beat me to it. I had a significant life event that hurt what seemed like a pretty good GPA trend so I took the opportunity to talk about it there.

lapse
laps/
noun
plural noun: lapses
  1. 1.
    informalslip-up
    "a lapse of concentration"
  2. 2.
    an interval or passage of time.
    "there was a considerable lapse of time between the two events"
    synonyms: interval, gap, pause, interlude, lull, hiatus, break
    "a lapse of time"

you can intemperate it many different ways :) I have both a "failure" and a "Gap" to talk about. yay....

lol me too

secondary yesterday! 150 characters for additional qualifications? i got my bachelors degree , but to write all the EC i have done in the last year, don't think 150 can be enough! what are you guys doing for that? (i applied last year).

secondary yesterday! 150 characters for additional qualifications? i got my bachelors degree , but to write all the EC i have done in the last year, don't think 150 can be enough! what are you guys doing for that? (i applied last year).
I don't remember seeing that question...

I got the secondary last year but never submitted it because I missed the deadline. Do I still count as having "previously applied" to VCU?

Email them and double check, I had a similar situation with a school and they made me contact AMCAS. Long and short- if they received an AMCAS main application it's counted as having applied there, secondary doesn't matter.

SOS! I am about to submit my app. In the "Course Information", where the YEAR is listed for courses, is the year referring to the overall academic year and not necessarily the calendar year that we took the course in?

For example, I took Gen Chem I in spring 2012. However, it was the academic year 2011-2012. So, on my application it says Yr: 2011, Term: Spring. Is this alright or is my application all messed up!?

SOS! I am about to submit my app. In the "Course Information", where the YEAR is listed for courses, is the year referring to the overall academic year and not necessarily the calendar year that we took the course in?

For example, I took Gen Chem I in spring 2012. However, it was the academic year 2011-2012. So, on my application it says Yr: 2011, Term: Spring. Is this alright or is my application all messed up!?
I put in the calendar year for mine. Fall 2011, Spring 2012

I put in the calendar year for mine. Fall 2011, Spring 2012

I don't have the option to change the years, and I just double checked my AMCAS app, where all the information is correct. This is why I think maybe they're referring to the academic year? Can anybody else comment?

Secondary received yesterday as well! Would love to interview here.

Hey everyone! Quick question about the VCU secondary. I completed it a few minutes ago and when I return to the "File Status" tab it says that my application is incomplete. I have submitted the supplement and paid the fee. All of my letters have been received by AMCAS. Why is it still considering my application incomplete? Am I missing something else?