2015-2016 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On Eagle's Wings

To Make Man Whole
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the secondary questions that Loma Linda has sent out the past 2 years.

1. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

2. What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

3. What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4. Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5. What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

9. Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's get this thread going! I am an incoming MS1 at Loma Linda this fall, and I am happy to answer any questions you all have.

Reactions: 1 user
So students can't have a beer away from campus on a weekend? Even if they go back home?

Members don't see this ad :)
So students can't have a beer away from campus on a weekend? Even if they go back home?

Straight from the LLU student hand-book,

"As stated in its motto, “to make man whole,” Loma Linda University is committed to providing
a learning environment conducive to the fullest possible human development. The University
holds that a lifestyle that is free of alcohol, tobacco, and recreational/illegal drugs is essential for
achieving this goal. University policy is that all students are expected to refrain from the use of
tobacco, alcohol, and other recreational or unlawful drugs during the period of their enrollment
at the University. Reasons for this policy include evidence that even small amounts of alcohol
****** response times and can cloud judgment, and the fact that a high percentage of accidents
and crimes (including crimes of victimization and abuse) occur while the perpetrators are under
the influence of alcohol or drugs. In addition, available data indicate that 14 percent of
individuals who choose to use alcohol will, at some point, become problem drinkers."

"If a student is involved in the use or distribution of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco at an on- or off campus
public or private social event, s/he will be subject to discipline, up to and including dismissal."

Sorry everyone, but that is official university policy here. At least you are informed before you apply here;)

Sorry everyone, but that is official university policy here. At least you are informed before you apply here;)

Fair enough, just wanted to be clear.

Is the environment at school very SDA-y? I hesitate to spend so much time around a group of people all from one 'sect' (for lack of a better word)

Why did you choose LLU over other schools?

I want to pursue medical missions as a Christian physician, so I researched medical schools that are faith-based and medical-mission focused. I found out about the Loma Linda School of Medicine, one of only 2 faith-based medical schools in America, and began attending their annual open houses. Their mission statement “To continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ to make man whole” fits in perfectly with my personal goals for what I want to spend my life doing. Talking to the students and faculty at this institution confirmed for me that this school is the one I wanted to attend to learn to become a compassionate Christian medical missionary. So when I got my first medical school acceptance from Loma Linda, I knew this was where I will be this fall.

Does anyone know how the Adcom respond to those non-christian believers? (from a different religion). My principles and my perspective of medicine seems to fit with their mission and values. However, I don't know if non-christian applicants are kept last, even if I apply early in the cycle?
Thank you for your input !

LLU conducts interviews at the SDA universities first. So SDA's get slight preference mainly in that they are interviewed first. After that, they interview everyone else. I am non-SD Christian and received an II in October, interviewed in December, and was accepted in January. I do not know (sorry!) about non-Christians and whether that affects when you receive an II.

I will give you some sneak peeks I do know from the application process. You do have to indicate what religion (and denomination) you are on the secondary application, and you will have to answer questions in the secondary about your faith. I feel like your responses to the secondary questions have a big bearing on whether you get an II. Please keep in mind that LLU received over 6000 applications last year and only interviewed around 400 for 168 seats.

LLU conducts interviews at the SDA universities first. So SDA's get slight preference mainly in that they are interviewed first. After that, they interview everyone else. I am non-SD Christian and received an II in October, interviewed in December, and was accepted in January. I do not know (sorry!) about non-Christians and whether that affects when you receive an II.

I will give you some sneak peeks I do know from the application process. You do have to indicate what religion (and denomination) you are on the secondary application, and you will have to answer questions in the secondary about your faith. I feel like your responses to the secondary questions have a big bearing on whether you get an II. Please keep in mind that LLU received over 6000 applications last year and only interviewed around 400 for 168 seats.
Thank you for feedback. I already looked up at the questions (Lol). I am not sure when will they send me the supplemental, since I submitted the AMCAS app on the 3rd.
Thanks again !

Thank you for feedback. I already looked up at the questions (Lol). I am not sure when will they send me the supplemental, since I submitted the AMCAS app on the 3rd.
Thanks again !

They begin sending them out in July-around the first or second week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, recent LLU grad here, I'll probably get overwhelmed when residency starts in a few weeks here, but I'll pop in every so often to try and answer questions!

Fair enough, just wanted to be clear.

Is the environment at school very SDA-y? I hesitate to spend so much time around a group of people all from one 'sect' (for lack of a better word)

Keep reading for the "buts" at the end. It's definitely a religious school. School offices close down on Friday night and Saturday, and most professors won't check email then. The school cafeteria doesn't serve meat or caffeine, nor does the hospital cafeteria. There is a required number of chapel services you attend on Wednesday's during the first two years, and there is a required religion/ethics class you must take during the first two years. A lot of SDA students will be in attendance just because it's an SDA school and that's a major pull.

Those things being said, I never experienced anyone trying to shove SDA theology down my throat constantly. Our class was majority Christian of some type, with plenty of SDA kiddies, but the mix of faith groups was huge, and everyone got along just fine. Yes the school doesn't sell it, but you can eat meat and everyone brings in coffee to class. In fact, one of our professors drinks a can of Dr. Pepper during every lecture. And though the hospital doesn't sell it, you can find coffee everywhere. The chapel services are a nice break in the schedule, and take place in stead of a lecture, not in addition to it. They are not shove religion in your face services, but more generic evangelical services that appeal to most everyone. And the religion classes are not about memorizing bible verses like you might expect in Sabbath or Sunday School, but are relevant ethical and whole person care focuses courses. So yes it's a definitely a christian school, and you'll see signs of SDA everywhere, but it's by no means exclusive. Open arms are everywhere, it's fantastic!

EDIT: Quote removed at OP's request. Basically this was in response to a question about LLU's lifestyle policy.

What you just said? That's exactly what you need to say in your secondary essays! You won't be at a disadvantage, not by a long shot.

And as far as the alcohol policy goes in general (quoted above by Eagle's Wings), it is written in as policy, and should be taken as such. That said, no one is policing your homes or will come knocking on your doors at home and searching for booze. You are an adult and can make your own decisions. But that is the policy, and if you go home and post pictures of yourself doing jello shots on Instagram, you can expect the consequences if you are found out. By no means am I encouraging you all to sign a lifestyle agreement just to break it, but it is what you make of it, and you need to be aware of it if you are to attend school here. For some that will be a deal breaker, and that's ok, you don't have to agree, there are lots of nice med schools to choose from. I just believe that Loma Linda has unique benefits that are way more important if it's not a deal breaker to you. I might be a bit biased though ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, recent LLU grad here, I'll probably get overwhelmed when residency starts in a few weeks here, but I'll pop in every so often to try and answer questions!

Keep reading for the "buts" at the end. It's definitely a religious school. School offices close down on Friday night and Saturday, and most professors won't check email then. The school cafeteria doesn't serve meat or caffeine, nor does the hospital cafeteria. There is a required number of chapel services you attend on Wednesday's during the first two years, and there is a required religion/ethics class you must take during the first two years. A lot of SDA students will be in attendance just because it's an SDA school and that's a major pull.

Those things being said, I never experienced anyone trying to shove SDA theology down my throat constantly. Our class was majority Christian of some type, with plenty of SDA kiddies, but the mix of faith groups was huge, and everyone got along just fine. Yes the school doesn't sell it, but you can eat meat and everyone brings in coffee to class. In fact, one of our professors drinks a can of Dr. Pepper during every lecture. And though the hospital doesn't sell it, you can find coffee everywhere. The chapel services are a nice break in the schedule, and take place in stead of a lecture, not in addition to it. They are not shove religion in your face services, but more generic evangelical services that appeal to most everyone. And the religion classes are not about memorizing bible verses like you might expect in Sabbath or Sunday School, but are relevant ethical and whole person care focuses courses. So yes it's a definitely a christian school, and you'll see signs of SDA everywhere, but it's by no means exclusive. Open arms are everywhere, it's fantastic!

What you just said? That's exactly what you need to say in your secondary essays! You won't be at a disadvantage, not by a long shot.

And as far as the alcohol policy goes in general (quoted above by Eagle's Wings), it is written in as policy, and should be taken as such. That said, no one is policing your homes or will come knocking on your doors at home and searching for booze. You are an adult and can make your own decisions. But that is the policy, and if you go home and post pictures of yourself doing jello shots on Instagram, you can expect the consequences if you are found out. By no means am I encouraging you all to sign a lifestyle agreement just to break it, but it is what you make of it, and you need to be aware of it if you are to attend school here. For some that will be a deal breaker, and that's ok, you don't have to agree, there are lots of nice med schools to choose from. I just believe that Loma Linda has unique benefits that are way more important if it's not a deal breaker to you. I might be a bit biased though ;)

Thanks for your input. Great to hear someone who has just finished medical school at LLU impart their wisdom and knowledge to us!

I want to pursue medical missions as a Christian physician, so I researched medical schools that are faith-based and medical-mission focused. I found out about the Loma Linda School of Medicine, one of only 2 faith-based medical schools in America, and began attending their annual open houses. Their mission statement “To continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ to make man whole” fits in perfectly with my personal goals for what I want to spend my life doing. Talking to the students and faculty at this institution confirmed for me that this school is the one I wanted to attend to learn to become a compassionate Christian medical missionary. So when I got my first medical school acceptance from Loma Linda, I knew this was where I will be this fall.

Just curious - were you not interested in any of the Jesuit schools? Loyola, Georgetown, Creighton?

I am just surprised you said there are only 2 faith based medical schools in the US - I just named 3 off the top of my head, not counting LL.

Hi everyone! I am considering applying to Loma Linda. I was raised in a very religious household and my religion is a big part of my identity. At the same time being gay is also a big part of my identity. Could any current or former students comment on whether that would be an issue at Loma Linda and how accepting the environment is?

Hi everyone! I am considering applying to Loma Linda. I was raised in a very religious household and my religion is a big part of my identity. At the same time being gay is also a big part of my identity. Could any current or former students comment on whether that would be an issue at Loma Linda and how accepting the environment is?
Hey there @rcran3 - you will not be discriminated against in any way, shape, or form here at LLU. It's a super accepting environment.

Last edited:
In fact, one of our professors drinks a can of Dr. Pepper during every lecture.
If you see a professor rolling his bag along while holding his Dr. Pepper in his other hand - you are in the presence of a legend. Everything he says is gold.

And though the hospital doesn't sell it, you can find coffee everywhere.
If you're nice to the support staff, they'll show you where to get it ;P

Also, my stats are as follows:
29mcat 11/8/10 (had a 25 Mcat, but retook it and raised the score to a 29)
3.79cGPA
3.75sGPA
Chemistry Degree
Born and raised on the north shore of Oahu
VERY active in my church my entire life. For example, I lead a college and career young adults Bible study for 2 years while managing my undergraduate course load. I have lead worship at my church for almost 6 years now on Sunday mornings (play guitar and sing). I also am a youth group leader in my church to high school kids (meet at least once a week)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on my chances to get into Loma Linda?? My primary app was submitted early and said it was ready for review on June 5th.
I want to go to Loma Linda so bad as Christ is who I find my identity in!!! I couldn't believe that there is a medical school that teaches their students how to pray with patients!!!!!! This is amazing!
If you believe you fit in with the mission of Loma Linda (sounds like it), then you should apply.

how did you guy approach this prompt "Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine"?
Did you guys write like "___ is my source and i learned about x, y, z" or did you guys choose one trait about LLUSM?
I was thinking about following the later style, but we also have " What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you?" prompt...

"Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)"

For this prompt, if my answer is no, do you guys think I need to elaborate my answer?

"Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)"

For this prompt, if my answer is no, do you guys think I need to elaborate my answer?
My answer for this was one sentence long.

how did you guy approach this prompt "Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine"?
Did you guys write like "___ is my source and i learned about x, y, z" or did you guys choose one trait about LLUSM?
I was thinking about following the later style, but we also have " What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you?" prompt...
My answers for both of these questions were different, but similar.

Here's a question for anyone that may know the school well and/or attended. I'm just interested on how this school deals with Atheist applicants. I myself am an atheist but hold many of the moral values as a Christian, being that I was raised as one. I merely just lack in the spiritual and faith part of religion. I did not apply to this school because I did not want to lie about my beliefs. Now just out of curiosity how likely is it that an Atheist applicant would be accepted?

Also, I had a friend from high school who attended this school as an undergrad and she was also atheist, so I'm just trying to figure out how the school deals with this type of situation.

Here's a question for anyone that may know the school well and/or attended. I'm just interested on how this school deals with Atheist applicants. I myself am an atheist but hold many of the moral values as a Christian, being that I was raised as one. I merely just lack in the spiritual and faith part of religion. I did not apply to this school because I did not want to lie about my beliefs. Now just out of curiosity how likely is it that an Atheist applicant would be accepted?

Also, I had a friend from high school who attended this school as an undergrad and she was also atheist, so I'm just trying to figure out how the school deals with this type of situation.
Did she tell them she was atheist? From their mission statement: "The school's overriding purpose is the formation of Christian physicians"

I'm slightly concerned that they ask for my SSN..... anyone know if we can call the office and provide alternate info or something?

so glad I didn't add this school to my list.
Thanks for the information, folks.

Definitely not for me.

This secondary was exhausting. Feeling pretty good about it though.

If any med students or accepted med students from LL SOM will be willing to review my responses for the supplemental application, I will be forever grateful and appreciative.
Good Luck to everyone applying :)

If any med students or accepted med students from LL SOM will be willing to review my responses for the supplemental application, I will be forever grateful and appreciative.
Good Luck to everyone applying :)
+1!!

If you think you'll fit in at LLUSM - you should apply.

I'm slightly concerned that they ask for my SSN..... anyone know if we can call the office and provide alternate info or something?
Honestly, you need to supply everything they ask for. They need to ensure that you are who you say you are. Didn't you supply your SSN for the amcas? for the MCAT?

if you have the fee waiver from AMCAS, is possible that this school could waive your secondary app fee?

Yes you get 15 free apps with FAP

Yes you get 15 free apps with FAP
I know, 15 schools were free in the primary application. I am wonder if FAP applies to secondaries ? or is it different depending on the school ? In this case, should I just call loma linda ?

for LORs is a letter from a non-pastor/clergy spiritual leader acceptable/advised?

Yes I read that on the mission statement when I was looking up schools which is why I was curious. She went for undergrad and so has never done an interview but she says that she doesn't lie about being atheist when it comes up. She just did the required courses and got her degree. She said no one ever treated her differtly or badly because of it.

Yes I read that on the mission statement when I was looking up schools which is why I was curious. She went for undergrad and so has never done an interview but she says that she doesn't lie about being atheist when it comes up. She just did the required courses and got her degree. She said no one ever treated her differtly or badly because of it.
Undergrad is one thing, but training as a physician is another. I think you should really focus on if this is a good fit for you for 4 long years.

for LORs is a letter from a non-pastor/clergy spiritual leader acceptable/advised?

My letter came from a Minister of Missions and Discipleship, not a pastor. He works in the church, but he is not an ordained pastor. So you should be fine. The purpose of this letter is to have someone asses more of the spiritual aspect of your application an the role of your faith in your life.