2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:claps:Congratulations! You must be so excited! I know that you have already been asked several questions and I suspect they will keep coming, so I thought I would add one. Upon being notified, do you have to give an answer immediately as whether you are accepting the position or not? In most cases it would be a "no brainer" but if they wanted to send be somewhere that I was unfamiliar with, I would time to do some research. Could you tell us a little more about the notification process -the phone call or email for the ones that got an email. Being a holiday weekend, I know that I'll be antsy until I hear something. Thanks.

No worries.

The person who called isn't the interviewer. Her title according to the email signature she sent to fill necessary paper work is a "PHAP training lead". First she congratulated me before she offered me the position, she waited for me to accept the terms of a 2 year commitment before she proceeded to discuss the location.

She confirmed my email and told me to expect an email with the official job offer from HR which she said I should get by next week. She already emailed some forms to fill out for a background check. My guess is that my official letter will come after the background check is complete. She warned me not to make any housing arrangements before I receive my official offer letter.

Hope that answers your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Offered a position in Wilkesboro, NC. From New York, just graduated from undergrad in the Pacific Northwest. Appalachia's gonna be a definite change of pace but I'm super excited!! Long shot, but anyone know anything about the area?

Got the call at around 6:30PM EST

To add to the question above, everything Bibilola85 said was identicial to my call. My HR rep told me I had until July 7th to officially accept or deny the position. Also, she sent me an email with her contact information because she was unable to leave me a voicemail. I'm pretty positive phone call is the way they're notifying everyone. Either way keep checking both your phone and emails. You never know! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Offered a position in Richmond, Virginia!

Last edited:
Quick question for those that got a placement and the initiation form to fill out. Do we just type in our name in the signature space or do we have to print out the form, sign it, scan it, and email back.

Just want to make sure I'm doing it right?

Congrats everyone! I'm going to be waiting on pins and needles during this weekend hoping to be just as lucky :)

Reactions: 1 user
Offered a position in Wilkesboro, NC. From New York, just graduated from undergrad in the Pacific Northwest. Appalachia's gonna be a definite change of pace but I'm super excited!! Long shot, but anyone know anything about the area?

Got the call at around 6:30PM EST
I'm guessing you didn't ask for NC, them

Everyone else who's received an offer - is it somewhere you listed as a preference? Any idea how locations are assigned/

Everyone else who's received an offer - is it somewhere you listed as a preference? Any idea how locations are assigned/

I happened to be matched with one of my preferred states, and did ask about the assignment process. The answer to my question was pretty vague, but I gathered two things: 1) they first choose priority populations 2) each applications gets a 2 phase review, after which a match is made

Not sure how much that helps, but that's what I was able to find out. Sending my well wishes to all!

As we wait for and consider offers, does anyone have insight about the fellowship experience beyond information from the website? I'd love to hear more about impressions of any pros/cons of the experience or subsequent career opportunities. Thank you!

No, all my location preferences were in the Midwest/West Coast and my placement is in Virginia.

As we wait for and consider offers, does anyone have insight about the fellowship experience beyond information from the website? I'd love to hear more about impressions of any pros/cons of the experience or subsequent career opportunities. Thank you!

I'd love to know the pros/cons of the fellowship also! How do you feel after completing the program/during the program? How independent are you in your work during the fellowship? Do you have freedom to work remote? Do you do a lot of presentations? Is there any kind of assistance with housing (someone in PA said their housing was included)? What are some other benefits (gym?) ? Did you need a car with your location? What skill-set(s) do you feel were strengthened during the fellowship? Thank you! :)

Hey everyone. First time poster on here. I applied to this fellowship not realizing how competitive it was. I kind of figured it was just another job I was applying for until I started making different cutoffs and investigating further.

I was offered a position in Long Island, NY. I asked for a few days to think about it, and the woman I spoke to said I have until Monday morning to decide. It was wonderful to hear that I got it, but it puts me in a bind and I was hoping to gather some insight from you all. I was slated to begin a MPH at the university of Michigan this upcoming fall that would be completely paid for. Had I not received a scholarship, I think this decision would have been easier, but considering the gravity of free grad school, I've been going back and forth. Any one have any advice/insight/suggestions? What can this fellowship do for me that would make it worth bypassing grad school for 2 years?

Also, I really don't feel like I have an adequate amount of information to make a decision. I understand that locations are non-negotiable and what have you, but I read that pay is on a geographic distribution scale (Long Island must be on the high side), and that's a big concern for me. I'm sure more information is provided to those who accept, but for someone in my case, I would have hoped I could have that information upfront.

Anyways, I appreciate the community of support that exists here and any and all advice would be great!

Wow a free masters degree sounds really hard to turn down. But I'm not sure whether a degree or experience is best when looking for jobs. Good luck to everyone! I am still crossing my fingers to hear back. I'm in Ireland and really hope that the fact I have no phone service isn't delaying me hearing about an offer. Good to know they are sending emails as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they ever inform people that they didn't get an offer? I'm hoping they'll make more calls next week, but I would also love closure if it doesn't end up working out...

Hey everyone. First time poster on here. I applied to this fellowship not realizing how competitive it was. I kind of figured it was just another job I was applying for until I started making different cutoffs and investigating further.

I was offered a position in Long Island, NY. I asked for a few days to think about it, and the woman I spoke to said I have until Monday morning to decide. It was wonderful to hear that I got it, but it puts me in a bind and I was hoping to gather some insight from you all. I was slated to begin a MPH at the university of Michigan this upcoming fall that would be completely paid for. Had I not received a scholarship, I think this decision would have been easier, but considering the gravity of free grad school, I've been going back and forth. Any one have any advice/insight/suggestions? What can this fellowship do for me that would make it worth bypassing grad school for 2 years?

Also, I really don't feel like I have an adequate amount of information to make a decision. I understand that locations are non-negotiable and what have you, but I read that pay is on a geographic distribution scale (Long Island must be on the high side), and that's a big concern for me. I'm sure more information is provided to those who accept, but for someone in my case, I would have hoped I could have that information upfront.

Anyways, I appreciate the community of support that exists here and any and all advice would be great!

I feel similarly to you in regards to not feeling as if I have enough information to accept or decline my offer. I was informed via email this morning that I am being offered a position in Houston, TX. The individual who emailed me attached the "background information and accept/decline form" and said that I was required to submit it by 5pm EST tomorrow. The email contained no other information about the offer EXCEPT for the geographical location. While I am very excited to have an offer extended to me, I feel somewhat confused and frustrated that I am being asked to accept/deny the offer within 1-day without any additional information such as: specific host-site, the rotational program area(s) that I would be & details on the type of work/projects I would be assigned. I would also like to be able to speak with the associate(s) presently at the specific host-site to hear their perspectives and to gain an understanding of the type of work environment I would be in.

If anyone has any advice on this, please reply. I am incredibly interested in this program and feel very flustered that I am being given 1-day to make a major life decision with very minimal information. Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone!

I finally came across this forum and it was so helpful to read about everyone's process. I can really relate with all the things I am currently going through and feeling!

Seeing that for most, the deadline to answer is today, I am quite curious if those who have been selected have all been contacted last week. From the previous forums, it seemed as though people were contacted on different dates. And I noticed that most people who have posted that they've been selected are obtaining positions in the east. I wonder if the program sets different dates according to the area you've been selected to work in?

But, I am growing anxious!

Dear cashkalahine:

I don't know if this will help you, but I am currently paying off grad school loans and they are extremely difficult on the salary that is similar to an MPH grad's salary. If you are getting free education, please don't pass up that opportunity. I feel the CDC is an amazing entity, doing amazing projects and work, however, you will also have an opportunity to apply to PHAP post-MPH. In fact, your chances might be higher, from what I hear on forums. This is not meant to disencourage you from PHAP, PHAP is an amazing opportunity as well. However, I feel in public health a Master's is pretty essential. This is just my opinion though, I hope this helps you. :)

Do they ever inform people that they didn't get an offer? I'm hoping they'll make more calls next week, but I would also love closure if it doesn't end up working out...

I asked my interviewer and she said she "thinks" they will inform individuals that were not selected via email but se dodnt sound completely sure.

Additionally I have heard mostly good things about the program. I talked to someone going into their second year. She was the first fellows at her site so she said it was slow at first being assigned to a project because they were not sure how to utilize her. But she said the PHAP trainers or program leaders from CDC are very hands on in terms of ensuring you have a meaningful experience and the sites are required to report what the fellow will be working on. I dont think she found out the topic she would be working on until sometime after accepting and her first year was in an area that she knew nothing about so there was an intense learning curve.

She mentioned having opportunities to go to conferences and conduct presentations which was a benefit...and being able to meet and interact with leaders in the field at the PHAP trainings. She did say the pay was a little hard to live off of because her location has a high cost of living so she said it was a struggle.

I hope this helps. I cant answer all the questions posted but thought I would share what I heard.

Hi everyone!

I finally came across this forum and it was so helpful to read about everyone's process. I can really relate with all the things I am currently going through and feeling!

Seeing that for most, the deadline to answer is today, I am quite curious if those who have been selected have all been contacted last week. From the previous forums, it seemed as though people were contacted on different dates. And I noticed that most people who have posted that they've been selected are obtaining positions in the east. I wonder if the program sets different dates according to the area you've been selected to work in?

But, I am growing anxious!

I'm hoping you're right on this, even if it means I end up in a place I didn't request :) When I found out over the weekend other people had already been contacted, my heart sank a little bit. I do wish they had given people a bit more time though to respond since it was earlier than what they had said and over a holiday weekend for most.

Dear cashkalahine:

I don't know if this will help you, but I am currently paying off grad school loans and they are extremely difficult on the salary that is similar to an MPH grad's salary. If you are getting free education, please don't pass up that opportunity. I feel the CDC is an amazing entity, doing amazing projects and work, however, you will also have an opportunity to apply to PHAP post-MPH. In fact, your chances might be higher, from what I hear on forums. This is not meant to disencourage you from PHAP, PHAP is an amazing opportunity as well. However, I feel in public health a Master's is pretty essential. This is just my opinion though, I hope this helps you. :)
I agree that Grad education is EXPENSIVE! A full scholarship is amazing, and I would be reluctant to decline the scholarship --- even for CDC PHAP, especially if you have the financial means to take care of yourself while completing your MPH. However, if you don't have the financial means to provide for yourself, you might want to consider doing the CDC PHAP first, and THEN obtain your MPH, as the CDC PHAP experience might help you get yet another grad scholarship. Other posters have indicated that even though they have obtained their MPH, they have not been able to get positions because they are lacking experience. The CDC PHAP would provide that valuable experience. Just another view point! :)

I got an offer in New Orleans, LA. It is not one of my preferred locations so I am very torn on what to do. I could try to find another job and get an MPH and apply again in a few years. This is a great opportunity and experience though.

Thoughts??

I got an offer in New Orleans, LA. It is not one of my preferred locations so I am very torn on what to do. I could try to find another job and get an MPH and apply again in a few years. This is a great opportunity and experience though.

Thoughts??

Congrats on your offer! Since I'm still waiting, I have drawn up some pros and cons about accepting and declining; however, the job market for me has been very stagnant and the guarantee of work for two years for me is not something I personally could not turn down. I am coming into the field though in a less than traditional pathway though, so I also see doing PHAP as making me a more typical public health job seeker. If you feel you can find a suitable job within the field, I'd then consider the networking opportunities those jobs would provide you with versus PHAP along with compensation. So much of the job world today is about making connections and even being a wonderfully qualified candidate doesn't necessarily compete with someone who has an "in" with an organization. I wish I had been more aware of this before I went straight into graduate school in Boston and then hit some major roadblocks trying to get a job in my home state of Georgia.

I'd do some research about current associates in New Orleans/Louisiana and see if the projects they are working on are similar to what you'd want to work on/pursue with a MPH. I'd also take full advantage of whatever time frame they've given you to respond so you can talk this out with friends and family.

Thoughts??

Congrats!

When did you hear about the offer? New Orleans is a great place!

Hello all,

I got a call around 1:30 central time and received an offer to work in queens, ny. I was excited for thr call but I did not select ny nor any states on the east coast so I am a little worried. Ive never lived on the east coast and am unfamiliar with nyc. Im also concerned about the cost of living with the salary for the program.

I was given until 2:30 tomorrow to decide.

Thoughts??
Congratulations on your offer! I have been considering whether or not I will accept an offer (IF I get one) if the location will create a financial hardship for me. I actually prefer a more rural, southwestern, or southern location, over being stationed in an urban/suburban area or city BECAUSE of the higher cost of living in these areas. I also own my own travel trailer and hope to live in it during the two year PHAP period in a RV park - which really saves me in rent and utility costs. This savings helps me make my student loan payments and car payment. I have lived in my RV before for longer periods (such as between semesters) and don't doing mind it at all. So I am pretty much ready to go IF I get an offer! I just need to be stationed somewhere that has reasonably priced, safe RV park within a reasonable distance. Something most BIG cities do not have. So that is my dilemma :(

I looked on the forum board from last year, and candidates that were placed where there was a higher priced cost-of-living struggled with accepting the offer due to financial hardships. What a conundrum to be in --- offered a fellowship but the location is not ideal for whatever reason! Just remember a CDC fellowship looks quite impressive on a resume, and you can't beat the mentoring and hands-on training that you will receive during the PHAP.

That said, it is a toss-up what type of assignment you will receive as you are generally not told WHAT you will be doing --- just where. IF you are dedicated to say "environmental health" exclusively, an assignment that focuses on maternal health or immigrant health might not be a beneficial experience for you at all. In that case, it would be hard to make a decision when you don't have all the facts. It might help to look at the previous PHAP assignments for New Orleans, LA and see what type of work that they did. I have a more broader base career interest in public health, so this wouldn't necessarily be a problem for me, but I can see how it would be for others. In the above scenario, I would think pursuing a more applicable MPH or more appropriate job position would be better in the long run. Everyone's career goals and circumstances are different, and only you can determine how your PHAP offer fits with you and your career goals. Hope this helps your decision process! :writer:

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone tried to negotiate location - or even swap with someone. Do you have any idea how the allocations are made? 24 hours is such a short period in which to make a decision, especially as this process has been ongoing since February!

Has anyone tried to negotiate location - or even swap with someone. Do you have any idea how the allocations are made? 24 hours is such a short period in which to make a decision, especially as this process has been ongoing since February!

According to last year's posts, there was someone who turned down a position because it required a vehicle and they were told they'd be waitlisted and then they were offered another position in a small time frame (maybe less than 24 hours if I recall correctly). I don't think we have the ability to negotiate much beyond being put on the waitlist if you've been offered a position, unfortunately. I wish location requests/current locations were taken into more consideration for those who are receiving offers.

And what do we know about waitlist? -Just another lottery for location?

Hello all,

I got a call around 1:30 central time and received an offer to work in queens, ny. I was excited for thr call but I did not select ny nor any states on the east coast so I am a little worried. Ive never lived on the east coast and am unfamiliar with nyc. Im also concerned about the cost of living with the salary for the program.

I was given until 2:30 tomorrow to decide.
Congratulations! Check-out this website to see if apts in Queens fit your projected budget..... http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment.html

Thanks everyone for the great insight. It truly helps to hear a variety of opinions when considering this position. I was contacted around 12:30 today. They want to know basically ASAP they even asked over the phone right then if I would say yes. I received time until tomorrow morning. She said there were no other location options basically this is it take it or leave it.

I am interested in a broad spectrum of health areas. I am interested in maternal and child health which seems to be common in past New Orleans placements. I am also considering moving to Raleigh/Durham area and hopefully finding a job and then apply to grad school for an MPH there. Although I don't have a job lined up right now in NC, I am hopeful that I would find one eventually. Uncertainty is very hard to rationalize and come to terms with. I am really struggling because I want to live close to my boyfriend of 5 years and being apart for 2 years is a long time.

Does anyone know what the vacation time looks like? I am unsure of housing in New Orleans, but I am an Americorps VISTA now, so going to this salary is a HUGE jump for me.

Thanks everyone for the great insight. It truly helps to hear a variety of opinions when considering this position. I was contacted around 12:30 today. They want to know basically ASAP they even asked over the phone right then if I would say yes. I received time until tomorrow morning. She said there were no other location options basically this is it take it or leave it.

I am interested in a broad spectrum of health areas. I am interested in maternal and child health which seems to be common in past New Orleans placements. I am also considering moving to Raleigh/Durham area and hopefully finding a job and then apply to grad school for an MPH there. Although I don't have a job lined up right now in NC, I am hopeful that I would find one eventually. Uncertainty is very hard to rationalize and come to terms with. I am really struggling because I want to live close to my boyfriend of 5 years and being apart for 2 years is a long time.

Does anyone know what the vacation time looks like? I am unsure of housing in New Orleans, but I am an Americorps VISTA now, so going to this salary is a HUGE jump for me.

Uh-oh! The boyfriend versus career dilemma! Look up vacation time on federal jobs website. PHAP vacation should be same as regular federal jobs have for that pay grade. I suggest looking up airline and train ticket prices for travel between New Orleans and location of BF. You should have federal holidays and weekends off. If maternal and child health is a common job assignment for New Orleans PHAP candidates AND maternal and child health is your main public health interest, wouldn't it be hard to pass this opportunity up?!

Last edited:
Yeah, it just depends again on where spots are available and you could end up anywhere.
Indeed! My interviewer told me that location preferences are NOT considered hardly at all in pairing candidate to location. I was surprised by this since the CDC PHAP website actually states that location and not public health interest is how final candidates are paired.

"Where are associates assigned?
Associates are assigned to state, tribal, local, or territorial health agencies throughout the United States. Assignment locations depend on the application and selection of approved health agency host sites. Associates are matched with host sites on the basis of their geographic preferences rather than program interests; however, PHAP cannot guarantee that associates will be placed in their locations of choice."
http://www.cdc.gov/phap/become_associate/faqs.html

When I asked why then are applicants asked to give their location preferences, interviewer stated that it was to see how flexible individual applicants are in regards to location placement. Interviewer stated that flexibility is a key factor that they are looking for in candidates.

Last edited:
Hopeful note to those of us who are still waiting for the phone call from the 404 area code ;): For the PHAP class of 2013, phone call offers expanded over a period of at least 10 days from June 10th through June 19th! As applicants turned down assignment locations, offers continued through June 30th!!! So don't give up hope as the HR representatives continue to work their way down the applicant pool of names of those individuals who have made it through the interview phase! So keep your phone close by and check your e-mail regularly. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Hey @blalli , its crazy you and I are facing a similar dilemma! My bf of 5 years is in a PhD program in Birmingham, Alabama so I actually listed all southern states in my preferences and ended up being placed in NYC -_- My bf and I were long distance for 2 years while I got my MPH in Georgia and it really did go by quickly although we weren't THAT far. I just didn't expect NY at all even though they say you can really be placed anywhere. I am really curious to know how fellows are paired with locations because it seems to be totally random at this point...because its not like they tell you the topic area you will be working in.

At the end of the day I have really been looking forward to hearing back about this fellowship and talking to other fellows makes me excited about the opportunity. I am not looking forward to relocation costs though.

The information and support on the forum is so great, it has made the waiting a little less stressful!:) I was wondering if anyone's application status been updated from reviewed to not selected? Or has anyone received an email saying they have not been selected for an interview? Or does anyone know if there is going to be a "round two" of interviews?

Hey @blalli , its crazy you and I are facing a similar dilemma! My bf of 5 years is in a PhD program in Birmingham, Alabama so I actually listed all southern states in my preferences and ended up being placed in NYC -_- My bf and I were long distance for 2 years while I got my MPH in Georgia and it really did go by quickly although we weren't THAT far. I just didn't expect NY at all even though they say you can really be placed anywhere. I am really curious to know how fellows are paired with locations because it seems to be totally random at this point...because its not like they tell you the topic area you will be working in.

At the end of the day I have really been looking forward to hearing back about this fellowship and talking to other fellows makes me excited about the opportunity. I am not looking forward to relocation costs though.

I just got my offer today at 6:10PM EST! I am placed in Ohio...not really sure if I want to move there since I am from DC. I am also in a long distance with my bf (in WI) and this is technically closer but not sure how I feel about Ohio as I have never been there and I am not very good with cold weather. I didn't put any preference for location on my application. I have 18 hours to send in the form from my unofficial offer email!

I actually tried to call the person back that contacted me to ask some questions while I make my decision and the calls continuously went to voicemail....I am supposed to call her back tomorrow to accept or decline....hopefully I get a response to my voicemail.

Hi, this is my first post. I received my call, offer in LA! Requested georgia with no flexibility. I have until tomorrow to respond. LA is E X P E N S I V E!

The information and support on the forum is so great, it has made the waiting a little less stressful!:) I was wondering if anyone's application status been updated from reviewed to not selected? Or has anyone received an email saying they have not been selected for an interview? Or does anyone know if there is going to be a "round two" of interviews?

No round 2 of interviews, just people getting phone calls for their offers :)

Hi, this is my first post. I received my call, offer in LA! Requested georgia with no flexibility. I have until tomorrow to respond. LA is E X P E N S I V E!
Yes, it is quite expensive. :eek: That is why I did not choose California as a preference, even though there are some rural areas that are quite affordable. The two main stations are LA and San Fran area. VERY EXPENSIVE! What are you going to do? Are you going to accept and try to work it out somehow? I am curious as to how other candidates are handling less than ideal locations that are not part of their chosen preferences....

First time posting...everyone has been so helpful! I have until 10 AM tomorrow to decide if I am taking the position. I actually started a new job while waiting to hear back about PHAP. It's a really great opportunity, but I got placed in Long Island, NY and I am nervous about the cost of living. @LauTay my boyfriend of 5 years will be moving to MA, which will actually be closer than where I am now, but still long distance, so that's something else to think about.

Has anyone thought about roommates? I've never been to Long Island specifically, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one.

Yes, it is quite expensive. :eek: That is why I did not choose California as a preference, even though there are some rural areas that are quite affordable. The two main stations are LA and San Fran area. VERY EXPENSIVE! What are you going to do? Are you going to accept and try to work it out somehow? I am curious as to how other candidates are handling less than ideal locations that are not part of their chosen preferences....
Yes, I wonder how many will turn down the offer after so many months. but really...... does anyone have an ideal location. Has anyone declined the offer?

Is there any way for us to see where host sites are this year? I am already planning on moving in August so it would be so great to at least know if there would be a potential site in the area (if I am lucky enough to get a phone call soon)!

I got the call last Thursday and was offered a position in Salt Lake City! It wasn't one of my preferences, but it seems like no one is getting their preferences, so I am pretty pleased with it overall. If anyone else gets placed there, I'd love to hear!

First time posting...everyone has been so helpful! I have until 10 AM tomorrow to decide if I am taking the position. I actually started a new job while waiting to hear back about PHAP. It's a really great opportunity, but I got placed in Long Island, NY and I am nervous about the cost of living. @LauTay my boyfriend of 5 years will be moving to MA, which will actually be closer than where I am now, but still long distance, so that's something else to think about.

Has anyone thought about roommates? I've never been to Long Island specifically, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one.

Yeah ive started thinking about roommates. I talked with someone who just finished the program and she said they didnt connect her to other fellows moving to the area prior to her starting which I thought was annoying. Not sure if that will be the case this year but it would be nice to know other people placed to maybe plan together

I can definitely relate to everyone's issue. I was pretty lucky seeing as though I wasn't placed in a major city and cost of living is very affordable. The main issue I feel i'll face is the fact that I don't have a car and public transportation isn't too reliable in that area. Does anyone know anything about Illinois? I need all the input I can get. I'd be VERY willing to room with someone who is also placed in the state. Please feel free to message me.

Long time forum-stalker, first time poster. I received a call today and was offered a position in Sterling, VA (which from what I gather is basically a DC suburb?). If anyone else is placed in that area, I would love to hear. Or if anyone is familiar with the area, any advice on where to live would be greatly appreciated. The DC area is not exactly where I was hoping to be placed, but if it means I'm technically working for the CDC then I'm happy.

I got the call last Thursday and was offered a position in Salt Lake City! It wasn't one of my preferences, but it seems like no one is getting their preferences, so I am pretty pleased with it overall. If anyone else gets placed there, I'd love to hear!

Did they tell you if more people would be placed there? That was my #1 choice!

I plan to accept and room with my previous roommate that just relocated there last month, assuming everything happens for a reason. Does anyone know if the official offer states out assignment and specific placement (department name)? That's kind of imperative to make a decision I think. Requiring an official response without it seems unethical.