2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. Pls keep posting so we are all in the loop!

Btw, I will be based in Seattle. We are you all based??? :)

I have been to Seattle before...I loved it!

I was offered San Juan, PR! Super excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what most PHAPers end up doing after they complete the program? I was curious if the program prepares you for the public health workforce or for going back to school? Any information would be great!

Observational numbers only:
I'd guess about 30-50% continue with CDC/state/local health departments where they were placed. Another third or more do grad/medical school and some explore other opportunities in public health in NPOs etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you all just receive an email from PHAP? It doesn't say much accept for HR will be contacting us soon.....

Reactions: 1 users
Did you all just receive an email from PHAP? It doesn't say much accept for HR will be contacting us soon.....

Same. At least it is some communication though!

Same. We will be getting the official offer in the coming weeks?! I guess 4 weeks wasn't long enough haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Same. We will be getting the official offer in the coming weeks?! I guess 4 weeks wasn't long enough haha.

Right!

All I took from it is "You should have your official offer within the coming weeks. If you need a statement concerning your offer, as you are looking for housing in your new location, please contact HCRMO for assistance." Now I can go ahead and make housing plans without doubts.

Has anyone actually tried to get a statement from HR? I want to start looking for housing since I am moving from the South to the North but not having any type of proof of income is hindering that process....

I tried contacting HR and asking for a statement at least verifying that I was offered the fellowship and the person I got had no idea what I was talking about so it got no where.

It was simply an email titled "Tentative Offer Letter." It laid out the position, pay, and an address to have your transcript sent. I have to reply accept our decline to the email and I will be sent my "Official Offer letter." They are required to send a tentative offer first. It's just federal employment red tape. I am currently a federal employee and had to go through this before.

Does the transcript have to come from your University (sealed) or can it be a copy of a transcript you already have on you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone actually tried to get a statement from HR? I want to start looking for housing since I am moving from the South to the North but not having any type of proof of income is hindering that process....

I tried contacting HR and asking for a statement at least verifying that I was offered the fellowship and the person I got had no idea what I was talking about so it got no where.

I have had the same experiences speaking with HR. They didn't even know about the program the first time I tried contacting them. Looks like this time won't be any different…

Hey guys, I was placed in Wilkesboro, NC, which is about 45 minutes west of Winston-Salem. Glad to hear that some other people are in the general area! The town I'll be in is incredibly small (about 5,000 people, I believe), and I've only ever lived in urban and suburban areas, so I definitely plan on tapping into the social scene in Winston whenever possible, and maybe even move there eventually and commute the 45 minutes to my host site if I'm really wanting the city atmosphere again. I just met some people who were grad students at Wake Forest this past weekend at Capitol Hill Block Party in Seattle (I did my undergrad in the Pac Northwest) and they seemed super eclectic but down-to-earth, and said the city was definitely coming into its own and has a growing arts and social scene.
All of us NC people should get in touch! I'm from MA so don't know much about southern living, though I've only heard positive things! Was wondering if people placed in NC had heard anything yet?

All of us NC people should get in touch! I'm from MA so don't know much about southern living, though I've only heard positive things! Was wondering if people placed in NC had heard anything yet?

I am in Raleigh and its about 2.5 hours from Wilkesboro and and 1 and 40 min from Winston Salem. I will be close to the Raleigh/Durham Airport and Duke University. I havent heard anything other than the email this morning without a number to HCRMO. I am from Atlanta Ga, so I wont be too far from home. If you want to stay in contact you can email me at [email protected]

I just received a similar email too. I was excited, thinking that it was the official email, but it wasn't. I am planning to contact the HR, but cannot find their number. I was wondering if anyone here have the HR's contact information? I really want to start apartment searching and I feel like it will be hard if we are only given 2-4 weeks to do it if they don't get back to us soon. Please let me know. Thanks!

I just spoke with someone and they were just as confused. I was referred to someone else, whom I'm about to call now. I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received a similar email too. I was excited, thinking that it was the official email, but it wasn't. I am planning to contact the HR, but cannot find their number. I was wondering if anyone here have the HR's contact information? I really want to start apartment searching and I feel like it will be hard if we are only given 2-4 weeks to do it if they don't get back to us soon. Please let me know. Thanks!

(770) 488-1725 is the number I called

(770) 488-1725 is the number I called

Thank you! If they were confused about you, they maybe confused about me too, but I will give it a call.

Hi All,

I called the same number and I was told they have received a lot of calls like mine today and that I was just going to have to wait. She said that they are still in the process of completing everything and that it could be another couple of weeks?!?! She said everything is pending- not sure what that means.

Did anyone get any other information?

Yes, I just received the filler email lol. At least it kind of hints on housing and access to a employment offer letter for housing purposes.

Hi All,

I called the same number and I was told they have received a lot of calls like mine today and that I was just going to have to wait. She said that they are still in the process of completing everything and that it could be another couple of weeks?!?! She said everything is pending- not sure what that means.

Did anyone get any other information?

I received the same information. I tried calling another HR person that is affiliated with PHAP and got the voicemail.

I feel similarly to everyone in regards to wanting to contact HR to receive some sort of statement confirming my offer as I look for housing. I am hoping we receive the emails "containing the details of your assignment and of programmatic procedures; a virtual introduction for your host site supervisor, CDC supervisor and you; and other information to assist with your relocation"... sooner rather than later (aka- "in the coming weeks") to confirm that I am actually still being placed in the city/ host-site that I was initially told upon receiving my "unofficial offer". I would hate to spend a large amount of time to research and potentially secure an apartment only to find out I am being placed in a different host-site or worse a different city than I was initially told.

I also experienced HR not even knowing what PHAP was when I called earlier to inquire about the status of my application in late June. I recommend contacting the individual who extended you the "unofficial offer" or emailing the general PHAP email to inform them about your attempts at trying to get a statement from HR and HR not knowing what program you are referencing. That is my plan if I am unsuccessful with HR.

If anyone has any other insight, please let us know :) I guess some communication is better than none. I was beginning to get nervous!

I feel similarly to everyone in regards to wanting to contact HR to receive some sort of statement confirming my offer as I look for housing. I am hoping we receive the emails "containing the details of your assignment and of programmatic procedures; a virtual introduction for your host site supervisor, CDC supervisor and you; and other information to assist with your relocation"... sooner rather than later (aka- "in the coming weeks") to confirm that I am actually still being placed in the city/ host-site that I was initially told upon receiving my "unofficial offer". I would hate to spend a large amount of time to research and potentially secure an apartment only to find out I am being placed in a different host-site or worse a different city than I was initially told.

I also experienced HR not even knowing what PHAP was when I called earlier to inquire about the status of my application in late June. I recommend contacting the individual who extended you the "unofficial offer" or emailing the general PHAP email to inform them about your attempts at trying to get a statement from HR and HR not knowing what program you are referencing. That is my plan if I am unsuccessful with HR.

If anyone has any other insight, please let us know :) I guess some communication is better than none. I was beginning to get nervous!
I know it is tough, but I suggest patience. I have been dealing with the HR rep who sent me my tenitive offer. I was also told that I would not receive an official offer until they receive my official transcript. Talking to a random person from HR will not help. We are all assigned to someone from HR. Some just work faster than others. When you get your tenitive offer and a contact to send transcript, send it ASAP. This will get you an offer sooner than later.....atleast in theory. lol

I know it is tough, but I suggest patience. I have been dealing with the HR rep who sent me my tenitive offer. I was also told that I would not receive an official offer until they receive my official transcript. Talking to a random person from HR will not help. We are all assigned to someone from HR. Some just work faster than others. When you get your tenitive offer and a contact to send transcript, send it ASAP. This will get you an offer sooner than later.....atleast in theory. lol

Hi,

Do you have to mail in the official transcript? Is there a specific address or person that you had to send yours to? I wonder if it would slow down the process or speed it up for those of us that are still waiting, if we go ahead and send our transcripts. I know we also have to send our tentative offer, but if this could help speed things up that would be great.

So we have to send in our official transcript? I thought we did that at the beginning with our USAJobs.gov application, thus making us qualify for the next rounds?

Hopefully you have some luck. I contacted the individual that extended me the unofficial offer and was told that I could not be given a contact for HR I just have to wait......I am trying to be patient but at the same time seeing as how I have to pay out of pocket for relocation it helps minimize the costs if I have decent time to make plans. And it would help if we were given some concrete information other than you should hear something in a few weeks. But trying to remain positive nonetheless :)

So we have to send in our official transcript? I thought we did that at the beginning with our USAJobs.gov application, thus making us qualify for the next rounds?

I think the transcript we submitted on USAjobs was unofficial.

I got in touch with HR through email yesterday...I was told we should have the detailed letter stating our site details/contact info by next Friday at the latest (one week from tomorrow). Hopefully that is true!

I got in touch with HR through email yesterday...I was told we should have the detailed letter stating our site details/contact info by next Friday at the latest (one week from tomorrow). Hopefully that is true!

just to clarify--I got in touch with them to ask about the Housing Letter that PHAP said to obtain through emailing [email protected]. THe only response I got was that we should get official details soon--they did not say anything about the Housing Letter. If anyone makes progress trying to get the housing letter from them please let me know!

I just emailed about the housing letter and got a generated ticket confirming they received it, I will let you all know if I hear anything back.

just to clarify--I got in touch with them to ask about the Housing Letter that PHAP said to obtain through emailing [email protected]. THe only response I got was that we should get official details soon--they did not say anything about the Housing Letter. If anyone makes progress trying to get the housing letter from them please let me know![/QUOT
I will post the link that was sent to me to request a housing letter.

The following address was emailed to me from PHAP. You can request a letter from this address. Just make sure you put your name in it so they know who you are. You all should be receiving this email soon but for those who don't have it yet......you can request the letter from this email address.

[email protected]

Yes you must send them an official transcript

that makes 4 of us in Richmond...I wonder why there are so many!?

Are any of you guys in Richmond, California? or just Virgina? I'll be in San Francisco and I'm looking for potential roommates.

I completely sympathize, but want to preach patience, it has been much worse in past years, see below.

Hi! I was asked to do a timeline of when I got my acceptance call to when I started at my host site. Be warned, this will be different than yours! But here goes:

June 11: Got a call to see if I wanted placement in Phoenix, AZ. I accepted.
June 14: Got an email to accept position on application system.
June 26: Request for Background Check/Fingerprinting.
June 27: First PHAP Informational Email.
July 12: Information on Host Site Sent.
July 16: Onboarding Invitation Sent.
July 21: All notarized papers turned in.
July 22: Received Official Offer.
July 27: Drove from CA to AZ.
July 29: First day in Arizona!

I realize it is very stressful to wait for your official offer letter, but I didn't get mine until about a week before I started at my host site. Hopefully this year they give you more time! If you have any more questions let me know!

Well I think it's a good idea to start booking your flight if flying to the host site given they've already suggested housing search. Flight prices only increase closer to the date. If southwest flys to your host site is go with them. No fees and two free checked bags. God forbid any changes occur, but if so you can change your flight without loosing any money.

If you sign up with Airfarewatchdog.com you can also track the best flight prices from your current location to your assigned one.

Is anyone still on the fence, or hoping for a different location.

Thanks for the insight, I agree that patience is key it seems like especially when waiting to hear back from such a large organization. I received my "unofficial offer" over a month ago and sent in the necessary background information form and acceptance form- is this the same as the tentative offer you are referring to? In addition, I was not asked to submit an official transcript at that time and have not received a request to do so yet. Although I did submit an official one during the USAjobs app process; however, I has not yet received my completed undergraduate degree.

Does anybody have an idea what the two year probation entails?

I just received an offer this morning in New Jersey. The lady stated that she has alot more people to call!! Good Luck to everyone!!

Thanks for the insight, I agree that patience is key it seems like especially when waiting to hear back from such a large organization. I received my "unofficial offer" over a month ago and sent in the necessary background information form and acceptance form- is this the same as the tentative offer you are referring to? In addition, I was not asked to submit an official transcript at that time and have not received a request to do so yet. Although I did submit an official one during the USAjobs app process; however, I has not yet received my completed undergraduate degree.
The tentative offer is an email that has your position and location and asks you to reply to the the email accept or decline. My process seems to be moving faster than most. I was sent a link yesterday to began the on boarding process. It consists of all the forms needed to began employment. You will be able to sign and submit all these firms digitally. I was also told that the official transcript must be received before an official offer will be made. When you get your tentative offer it will have an address and person to send your transcript to directly from your university. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Just got my tentative offer with the location I'll be working at along with the instructions where to send the transcripts, I'd expect others should be receiving theirs soon as well.

Last edited:
I just received the email as well! I am not sure if I am reading it correctly, it says what department we are in and our title right? Information is coming slowly but I am so excited it has started coming!

Is anyone still on the fence, or hoping for a different location.

I received my tentative offer this morning via e-mail as well. My placement is in Long Island City with the national center for immunization and respiratory diseases. Seems like an awesome deal, but I am still on the fence as I have a significant scholarship offer to attend the University of Michigan's SPH. I haven't inquired about this yet, but I wonder if a transfer to Michigan would be possible.

Has anyone here been placed in Michigan?

I am sure this was ask previously. But can someone tell me the grade we will start off?