2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how the screening process for virginia commonwealth works? I'm wondering if they viewed my whole primary app and then decided or if it was a numerical cut off because I just got the secondary. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Received secondary midday and just submitted it.

I'm probably in the minority here – but I loved this prompt. This may be because I know a lot of crunchy/granola folks, but it felt much more relevant than regurgitating activity descriptions. I rambled on for about 6K characters, then cut the crap until my essay was down to a more respectable 4.5K characters.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm probably in the minority here – but I loved this prompt. This may be because I know a lot of crunchy/granola folks, but it felt much more relevant than regurgitating activity descriptions. I rambled on for about 6K characters, then cut the crap until my essay was down to a more respectable 4.5K characters.
+1!! This will be the first prompt I will actually enjoy writing about. I'm tired of writing on diversity and why our school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Submitted

So I submitted my app and the essay looks like a brick of text. Any idea on why it wouldn't let me format/indent it? Will this affect how my application is viewed?

+1!! This will be the first prompt I will actually enjoy writing about. I'm tired of writing on diversity and why our school!

same! it is so boring to constantly write about the past. I am loving the "what-if" questions

Still haven't received secondary. I passed Emory's cutoff :/

Do they send out the secondaries based on when you were verified?

Did anyone get a secondary today? Waiting on mine, was verified 6/9

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I was verified 6/5, and still nothing.
Same here. I'm not worried, though. I didn't receive some other secondaries on the first day they were sent out (according to other threads), but I still got them.

I was verified June 17. Secondary received on July 1st. Submitted. cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 26 (8/8/10). Praying hard. Been shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon at MCV, and I'm a VCU alum.

Yes i belibe because they screen them.
UVa does not screen per there website.

"The process starts when the AMCAS is submitted, which then generates a automatic e-mail containing the secondary." (redacted)

UVa does not screen per there website.

"The process starts when the AMCAS is submitted, which then generates a automatic e-mail containing the secondary." (redacted)

Dont know where you saw that, but i checked and it says "Invitation to submit supplemental application is offered only to students felt to be competitive in the current pool""http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/

I thought i was posting on the University of Virginia thread not VCOM.

Carry on.

VCOM - Virginia Common Wealth, I didn't mean it to imply Virginia College of Medicine

Received my secondary 7/2 and was hoping it would be the same as last year's, so I'm in the same boat as you! Really liking this prompt, but just a little worried about my length. I'm thinking I'll get it to around 3-3.5k.

So I submitted my app and the essay looks like a brick of text. Any idea on why it wouldn't let me format/indent it? Will this affect how my application is viewed?

Same here, is this the same for everyone?

someone cant admit theyre wrong.
No, I already said I was mistaken by posting in this thread to begin with. Furthermore I indicated that I used VCOM referencing the V of Virginia, and the COM in Commonwealth. Do not mistake my indifference for people who gauge their self-importance by correcting others, particularly on the internet.

But there is no institution known as Virginia College of Medicine...

Does it really even matter? Who cares.

Seriously, save the crap for another thread. This is VCU. I really like this essay prompt as well. Excited to submit!

Reactions: 4 users
How should we approach this question because alternative and complimentary medicine are two totally different things. And assuming were answering this as a doctor?

How should we approach this question because alternative and complimentary medicine are two totally different things. And assuming were answering this as a doctor?
Look up CAM. The internet will tell you what you need to know about it. And I assumed a I was a layperson like I am now.

Can anyone with the secondary post the fmSTAT prompts? Please and thank you!

Look up CAM. The internet will tell you what you need to know about it. And I assumed a I was a layperson like I am now.
I know what they are but should we talk about both

can someone post the secondary please?! Thank you in advance:love:

But there is no institution known as Virginia College of Medicine...

all virginia med schools could be the virginia college of medicine seeing as they're all schools of medicine in virginia. everybody wins? :D except osteopathy could be VCOOM to avoid ambiguities.

all virginia med schools could be the virginia college of medicine seeing as they're all schools of medicine in virginia. everybody wins? :D except osteopathy could be VCOOM to avoid ambiguities.

Usually you leave out the "of" in the abbreviation. Most osteopathic schools are known as XYZ-COM, i.e TouroCOM and NSUCOM. VCOM originally meant Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

From wiki, "The school was founded in 2002, when Virginia Tech and the Harvey W. Peters Research Foundation worked together to start up a new private school of osteopathic medicine called the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM)." End of discussion.

You can call VCU the Medical College of Virginia, though ;). Hence the name, MCV. Anyways, I love this place. Richmond is ghetto, but MCV is a treasure, kind of like The Jefferson Hotel.

can someone post the secondary please?! Thank you in advance:love:
It was posted somewhere earlier in this thread and is the same as last year's prompt about the curable cancer.

Guess i should start this prompt.... :(

It was posted somewhere earlier in this thread and is the same as last year's prompt about the curable cancer.
Thanks for letting me know!! I'll go search for it :)

Actually really enjoyed answering this prompt, although my answer is not 8000 characters long lol

Can someone please PM the OP with the secondary info so it can be entered into the post?

A family member or friend comes to you to discuss a curable cancer for which they are considering alternative/ complimentary medicine options. What would be your next steps? (Limit 8000 characters)

I was real straight up with this one. About 1500 characters. I'm not a f*ckin doctor yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users