2013 Summer Resolutions Thread

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your resolutions for this summer? I'll start.

[] Log at least 100 hours in the hospital and 500 of EMT hours.
[] Read Recce & Campbell's Biology straight through. Self-test on all subject matter with a final grade of at or above 90%.
[] Write a short book about my experiences as an EMT and in the ER.
[] Do all AP summer homework.
[] Get a girlfriend (preferably one who doesn't go to my school).
[] Spend less than 48 hours total on video games.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
[] Get a Job and/or Volunteer at my Hospital (depending on my hours)
[] Go to the Gym and lose weight
[] Get a jumpstart on my Pharmacy Tech Certification Class
[] Do all work and get an A in my Dual Enrollment classes

Cram some time to chill in there and that's my summer pretty much.

[] Get a Job and/or Volunteer at my Hospital (depending on my hours)
[] Go to the Gym and lose weight
[] Get a jumpstart on my Pharmacy Tech Certification Class
[] Do all work and get an A in my Dual Enrollment classes

Cram some time to chill in there and that's my summer pretty much.

Which classes are you taking through DE?

Members don't see this ad :)
[] Sleep at much as possible
[] Read some medical terminology
[] Get everything organized and planned as much as I can for college
[] LIFT
[] Work
[] Girlfriend
[] Spend more than 48 hours total on video games

[] Finish my family tree
[] Setup a volunteering schedulefor the fall and summer
[] Setting things up and preparing for College
[] Train to make the college hockey team in the fall
[] Get a job at end of summer
[] Enjoy and relax my whole summer as much as I can.

1.Getting ripped and exercise
2. Playing golf
3. Getting this girl to go out with me who I've been trying to for months :laugh:

Oh and having fun at Brown ;)

I have a very serious question for all of you...

DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

Lol, I am going to try to intern at a research center or volunteer at a hospital.

I need some good textbooks to prepare for college and medical school. So far I have:

Chemistry: The Central Science
Reece and Campbell's Biology

[] Work as an veterinary intern
[] Attempt to study some AP physics C material before school
[] Prepare for AP calculus
[] Continue piano
[] Relax as much as possible

I need some good textbooks to prepare for college and medical school. So far I have:

Chemistry: The Central Science
Reece and Campbell's Biology
Yo, aren't you still in high school? Not to be rude or anything, why would you start studying for "medical school"? I think you'll have enough time to do that.

Yo, aren't you still in high school? Not to be rude or anything, why would you start studying for "medical school"? I think you'll have enough time to do that.

Lolz, I was kind of thinking the same thing...........

Members don't see this ad :)

Always good to get a head start.

Personally, I don't think no one can really "prepare" for any medical school (allopathic, osteopathic, veterinary, pharmacy etc.) I wouldn't want to bust my back studying for something that I know nothing about, you know? The only thing one should do to prepare is to get your mind adjusted, housing or whatever. Just my two cents.

Personally, I don't think no one can really "prepare" for any medical school (allopathic, osteopathic, veterinary, pharmacy etc.) I wouldn't want to bust my back studying for something that I know nothing about, you know? The only thing one should do to prepare is to get your mind adjusted, housing or whatever. Just my two cents.

Agreed. Considering you wont retain most of it as you get to college once you stop reading but if your interested to read it for fun, go ahead

Agreed. Considering you wont retain most of it as you get to college once you stop reading but if your interested to read it for fun, go ahead

How can you not retain what you read in a textbook? You'll seriously have trouble on the MCAT if you have that problem.

How can you not retain what you read in a textbook? You'll seriously have trouble on the MCAT if you have that problem.

Yes i can read and retain information fine my friend. Thats not what i meant, im just stating that new concepts will come your way through college and now. If you read the book go ahead, no ones stopping you and wish you luck. It cant hurt

Plus, you way more than a simple AP chemistry and biology textbook to prepare you for medical school. I think you are worrying too much about something that's 5+ years away. Worry about getting out of high school and getting into undergrad first. Also the MCAT should be the last thing on your mind at this point. Pace yourself my friend.

Plus, you way more than a simple AP chemistry and biology textbook to prepare you for medical school. I think you are worrying too much about something that's 5+ years away. Worry about getting out of high school and getting into undergrad first. Also the MCAT should be the last thing on your mind at this point. Pace yourself my friend.

*I think you meant to put "need" somewhere in the first sentence.

No kidding, but getting a head start is always a good thing, especially if you have nothing better to do. I'm not worried about getting into college. I'm basically guaranteed admissions and I don't need to worry about tuition. That being said, good point, I'll add a few MCAT prep books to my reading list.

No kidding, but getting a head start is always a good thing, especially if you have nothing better to do. I'm not worried about getting into college. I'm basically guaranteed admissions and I don't need to worry about tuition. That being said, good point, I'll add a few MCAT prep books to my reading list.

Ah okay , I'll refrain from getting nasty and worked up because I don't know you. Number one, I just hate when people get ahead of themselves, and don't realize the big picture. You're probably really smart, and I wish I was in the position you are in now. I wish I can just "get into" college without any worry but instead I have to work my tail off in everything I do just to get one step ahead. I wish I can study ahead to prepare for grad school that I'm not completely sure I can get accepted to. Just do whatever you want :) and do well on the MCAT!~ :rolleyes:

Ah okay , I'll refrain from getting nasty and worked up because I don't know you. Number one, I just hate when people get ahead of themselves, and don't realize the big picture. You're probably really smart, and I wish I was in the position you are in now. I wish I can just "get into" college without any worry but instead I have to work my tail off in everything I do just to get one step ahead. I wish I can study ahead to prepare for grad school that I'm not completely sure I can get accepted to. Just do whatever you want :) and do well on the MCAT!~ :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Also the MCAT is getting a complete makeover in 2015, so if you're taking the test that year or after, you would be completely wasting your time.

Just take a chill pill and go play Xbox or something. <3

For all we know, OP might reconsider being a doc the first couple years of pre-med. That happens to a lot and I think it would be a waste of time studying for the MCAT in high school as you won't remember the stuff you read this week in 3 years. Also, the MCAT is being revamped and it will be testing some different things. Anyways, wish you best of luck on your medical school study! :cool:

Also the MCAT is getting a complete makeover in 2015, so if you're taking the test that year or after, you would be completely wasting your time.

Just take a chill pill and go play Xbox or something. <3

For all we know, OP might reconsider being a doc the first couple years of pre-med. That happens to a lot and I think it would be a waste of time studying for the MCAT in high school as you won't remember the stuff you read this week in 3 years. Also, the MCAT is being revamped and it will be testing some different things. Anyways, wish you best of luck on your medical school study! :cool:

The MCAT will still have physics, biology, and chemistry. The only things changing:

-Writing Sample
+Psychology
+Sociology
+Biochemistry
+Critical Analysis and Critical Reasoning
+1 hour
+Scored out of 60 instead of 45.

Studying biology and chemistry will actually be useful, as it is still one of the subjects tested on the exam. As for "reconsidering being a doc", learning important subject matter such as biology and chemistry will be useful, regardless of field. MCAT prep books will still cover much of the material on the 2015 MCAT.

It's interesting there's such a negative response to his willingness to learn this stuff so early. There's a difference between taking an opportunity for a head start and jumping the gun. I give you props for committing to this so early :thumbup:

It's interesting there's such a negative response to his willingness to learn this stuff so early. There's a difference between taking an opportunity for a head start and jumping the gun. I give you props for committing to this so early :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Hey, I never said I didn't appreciate the fact that he is doing that... I honestly wish I could study for that right now! Keep up the dedication my man!

• Get a job (hoping for a "you're hired!" call today)
  • Keep doing my weekly art project
  • Brush up on math... at some point
  • Register for classes (Fin aid won't talk to me at all. Really frustrating as all I need and qualify for are stafford loans)
  • Continue studying Spanish

:confused: This situation right now is like me studying for the GRE to get into veterinary school. I have a veterinary internal medicine book, I have it because I think it's pretty cool to have, but I'm not studying it just to get a head start to veterinary school. This situation is like my little sister who is in the 6th grade, the 6th grade! preparing for the SAT. Or preparing for a AP exam in something she has no clue about. Now think, does this make any sense to you? I'm just being real. It's cool and completely fine to prepare for things early on, don't get me wrong, but it's just silly seeing a peer take on so much. It's good to have passion :thumbup: but it's not healthy to get ahead of yourself :thumbdown:.

:confused: This situation right now is like me studying for the GRE to get into veterinary school. I have a veterinary internal medicine book, I have it because I think it's pretty cool to have, but I'm not studying it just to get a head start to veterinary school. This situation is like my little sister who is in the 6th grade, the 6th grade! preparing for the SAT. Or preparing for a AP exam in something she has no clue about. Now think, does this make any sense to you? I'm just being real. It's cool and completely fine to prepare for things early on, don't get me wrong, but it's just silly seeing a peer take on so much. It's good to have passion :thumbup: but it's not healthy to get ahead of yourself :thumbdown:.
Completely agree with this. If you ask any current medical student if they started studying for the MCAT in high school, I can guarantee that at least 99% would say no. Besides, any person going to med school shouldn't need 4+ years to study for the MCAT... just focus on doing well in high school and scoring high on the standardized tests. It seems like a lot of people here think working as hard as you can in high school isn't necessary, but that's the best way to prepare yourself for college and med school. Studying for the MCAT now won't.

Completely agree with this. If you ask any current medical student if they started studying for the MCAT in high school, I can guarantee that at least 99% would say no. Besides, any person going to med school shouldn't need 4+ years to study for the MCAT... just focus on doing well in high school and scoring high on the standardized tests. It seems like a lot of people here think working as hard as you can in high school isn't necessary, but that's the best way to prepare yourself for college and med school. Studying for the MCAT now won't.

Agreed! Highschool is the first thing to worry about even if you are naturally well off in your high school grades,assignments, etc. If you need more things to study or challenge yourself, take more APs that interest you that can relate to the medical field.

[Studying for an AP right now :laugh:]

There's also such a thing as pacing yourself and not burning out by your junior year of college, which is when you should be at your peak performance in terms of undergrad years.

He never necessarily said he was reading them for Med School. I, for one, have the option to take an upper level science next year, and I'm certain those books would help me out a lot. Neither you nor I know what his exact goal for reading them is.

You have to also take into account that he may be a huge learning freak (Good thing :laugh:) and always wants to take on the next endeavor. Or he could just enjoy reading them. I don't know what his reasoning is, but if he feels the need to read something he enjoys (just like you) then I don't really see anything wrong.

The SAT example isn't necessarily the best example. I know kids in my state who take the SAT in 8th grade. Plus the SAT can't really be compared to the MCAT. I get and understand your point and where you're coming from with the example, it's just not necessarily the best one.

You have to have passion to take on this profession. Showing it so early instead of worrying about video games and other mindless distractions says something about your true intentions.

There's also such a thing as pacing yourself and not burning out by your junior year of college, which is when you should be at your peak performance in terms of undergrad years.

Reading two science books is different than studying 4 hours a day.

While that is true, the OP said he wants to "Read Recce & Campbell's Biology straight through. Self-test on all subject matter with a final grade of at or above 90%" and "Do all AP summer homework" and "Write a short book about my experiences as an EMT and in the ER" etc. In my opinion it would take at least 4 hours worth per day to get all of these things done plus "study" (because I doubt what he studies now will make a difference when he takes the test in 4+ years) for the MCAT.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get ahead and being motivated to succeed, just don't bite off more than you can chew. Work smarter, not harder.

He never necessarily said he was reading them for Med School. I, for one, have the option to take an upper level science next year, and I'm certain those books would help me out a lot. Neither you nor I know what his exact goal for reading them is.

You have to also take into account that he may be a huge learning freak (Good thing :laugh:) and always wants to take on the next endeavor. Or he could just enjoy reading them. I don't know what his reasoning is, but if he feels the need to read something he enjoys (just like you) then I don't really see anything wrong.

The SAT example isn't necessarily the best example. I know kids in my state who take the SAT in 8th grade. Plus the SAT can't really be compared to the MCAT. I get and understand your point and where you're coming from with the example, it's just not necessarily the best one.

You have to have passion to take on this profession. Showing it so early instead of worrying about video games and other mindless distractions says something about your true intentions.

Alright, after this I'm done. The example wasn't to compare the level of difficulty between the two test, it was to demonstrate how people are worried about something that's years away when it comes to schooling. A 6th grader, in about 5 years they would most likely take the SAT. A Junior, in a about 5+ years they would most likely take the MCAT if they're going to medical school. These types of things shouldn't become top priority, not now. When a student gets into college, then MCAT should become one of the main focuses. @YankeesMD hit the nail on the head with this.

To be completely honest, this is just stupid. This whole thing is just stupid. I was told to enjoy my high school career, find what you want to do, and try to get into college. If a kid wants to study, let him study, if he wants to feel on top, let him climb to the top above others. Like I said before, I don't know him and at this point, I don't care.

Anyways, a couple of minutes ago, I was arranging plans to volunteer at my local animal shelter too during the school year and during the summer, so exciting :D.

I mean what do you have to lose?

Precious time that is your youth where you don't have to worry about things like the MCAT. :rolleyes:

I agree with Fantasy. This is pointless. If the OP wants to spend one of his last free summers buried under a pile of books, who are we to stop him?

Precious time that is your youth where you don't have to worry about things like the MCAT. :rolleyes:

I agree with Fantasy. This is pointless. If the OP wants to spend one of his last free summers buried under a pile of books, who are we to stop him?

Personally I agree. But, just wanted to add:
Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Lol relax guise, if he wants to read books I say let him.

I'll come back to this thread when I get a 45 on the MCAT.

Edit: Just remembered... when I get a 60 on the MCAT (after 2015).

20446569.jpg

lol seriously.. I'LL come back to this thread and say I'm your ***** if you get a 45.

I'll come back to this thread when I get a 45 on the MCAT.

Edit: Just remembered... when I get a 60 on the MCAT (after 2015).

And I'll come back when I'm the prince of denmark :thumbup:

:laugh:

• Math
  • College coureses
  • Finish my Arduino project
  • Learn R
  • Have fun

Alright, after this I'm done. (1)The example wasn't to compare the level of difficulty between the two test, it was to demonstrate how people are worried about something that's years away when it comes to schooling. (2)A 6th grader, in about 5 years they would most likely take the SAT. A Junior, in a about 5+ years they would most likely take the MCAT if they're going to medical school. These types of things shouldn't become top priority, not now. When a student gets into college, then MCAT should become one of the main focuses. @YankeesMD hit the nail on the head with this.

(3)To be completely honest, this is just stupid. This whole thing is just stupid. I was told to enjoy my high school career, find what you want to do, and try to get into college. If a kid wants to study, let him study, if he wants to feel on top, let him climb to the top above others. Like I said before, I don't know him and at this point, I don't care.

Anyways, a couple of minutes ago, I was arranging plans to volunteer at my local animal shelter too during the school year and during the summer, so exciting :D.

1. Never said it was. I already said I understood your point.
2. Again, he never said he's going to read it for the MCAT, let alone med school. So neither of us have any right to judge his goals
3. Well, that's your opinion, but i guarantee you he'll be better off than someone with no prior experience. :thumbup:

But whatever. Enjoy your summer :rolleyes: