2013 COMLEX Level 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your COMLEX Level 2 scores, and everything pertaining to Lvl 2 here. Took my CE on 4/24. 4 weeks out and still waiting for my score.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 568
COMSAE D: 545 (1 week before)

Used MTB, Secrets, and Savarese in terms of books. Used Comquest for a q-bank. Thought all of these materials were sufficient. The content on my exams was either pretty straight forward or no way in hell I would have known it. So I'm not sure how preparing differently would have helped. Spent about 6 weeks of light studying, with the last week being more of full days. I think Comquest is a good q-bank for COMLEX. I was scoring around 70% if that gives people any help for future reference. Glad its over. Hopefully my scores will be sufficient for EM.

Step 2: 555

Scores are up! Took my test on the July 12th, so about a 3.5 week turnaround for me.

Passed with a 569! Up 20 points from Level 1! Ecstatic that I passed this thing because I came out of the test feeling pretty crappy.

Scores are up! Took my test on the July 12th, so about a 3.5 week turnaround for me.

Passed with a 569! Up 20 points from Level 1! Ecstatic that I passed this thing because I came out of the test feeling pretty crappy.

Nice score! how did you prepare?

Level 1: 536
COMSAE 2 B: 527 (11 days before test)
Level 2: 681!!!!!!! (June 28th)

Prep: I studied for the NBME exams throughout the year.
-Nothing for family med, I took this right after step 1; Used FA for psych for psychiatry shelf; Pestana notes x2 for surgery; Read about 80% of Step up to Medicine for IM; Blueprints for OB and peds. I did Uworld during MS3 for the shelf exams, did not do any after the end of May (finished peds shelf then).
Had 5 weeks off to study for level 2. I did all of COMQUEST during the first 3 weeks and kept track of my subjects to focus more on the ones I was doing the worst in. My % correct in the end was 78%. I do not re-do missed questions. In between all of that I read all of Step 2 secrets and the parts of Step up to Step 2 that I was doing badly on in COMQUEST.
I took COMSAE B on 6/17 (11 days out) and got a 527. After that I skimmed through Secrets again, and completed 18% of COMBANK- mostly OMM and cardio (avg 79.7%).
For OMM I made myself a study guide from the heavy points of the green book and just reviewed that a little bit each day.
I thought COMQUEST was a better representation of the real deal, I just used COMBANK for the OMM, really.

Last edited:
So what's the general feel after walking out of this test? I took mine today and well... honestly, it seemed really easy. Maybe I'm just a fool and blew it but I don't know... 2/3 of the questions seemed REALLY straightforward (like only 2 answers were even remotely possible and the right answer was a perfect fit and the other was loosely tied to the concept but not right) and the other 1/3 I felt were very workable. I only remember about 15 questions or so on the whole test being like "Huh? WTF??" and the rest of them very doable with a little bit of thought. Maybe it comes from taking this after USMLE but I dunno...
I think I marked about 14 or so per block that I was not absolutely 100% sure of and of those 14 I'd say I was about 90% sure on 10 or 11 leaving only 3 or 4 per block that were really "best guess" kinda deals. As far as content... pretty much what you'd expect.
LOTS of GI, OB, and Peds
Probably 85-90% of the Statistics questions were asking you to figure out what kind of study to design for whatever craptastic stem they gave you. I did not have ONE single question asking me to calculate sensitivity, specificity, PPV/NPV, odds ratio, or NNT. The only "calculation" I had to do for biostats was them giving me some off the wall chart and asking me to figure out the prevalance of the disease... that's it. For the rest of it they just wanted to know what study to use. For example... "You get X amount of people with a disease in a hospital and then find X amount of people at the same hospital without the disease and examine their charts to determine patterns in risk factors... what is the best study to do this". Almost all the questions were "what is the best study to ____" with choices like case controlled, retrospective, prospective, randomized, etc. If you know the types of studies and what they are used for you'll have this cold.
OMM was pretty basic... maybe 4 or 5 total cranial questions (and almost all in the same block actually), not nearly as much sacral Dx as I expected, and lots of viscerosomatic stuff. A few set up questions for counterstrain and muscle energy, only one HVLA set up (lumbar), 4 or 5 OA questions (including one video), and probably at least 10-15 straight up Level 1 type questions where it asked you to diagnose a somatic dysfunction (ie, something like F SrRr). A couple of really obscure screening tests (ie, stuff that is in Savarese under the "nobody ever does these tests but here's the name of them" section). There were a few really obscure OMM things but 95% could be had just by reading through Savarese for about 2-3 hrs the day before the test.
Only like 2 or 3 heart sounds, maybe 4 or 5 EKG strips (REALLY easy except 1... it made me think a bit), bunch of radiology pics, and like 3 or 4 videos that were SUPER easy to figure out the problem once you saw the video.
Overall, this test is very doable and don't let my review fool you... I'm not one of those 650-700 Level 1 guys so this is NOT a gunner talking. It's just really not that bad, especially after coming off USMLE Step 2 (which wasn't terrible either). I did all of World twice (for Step 2) and about half of Comquest in the last week and I think that was more than enough. Glad to be DONE with boards for good now and can concentrate on other stuff! GL to everyone!

Nice score! how did you prepare?

Thank you! I read through first aid and went through comquest questions once with about a 70% average. I also read the green book a few days before the test for my omm review.

Step 2 ce 640's :eek:

Took step 2 end of June. Walked out of the first half feeling like I was punched in the face. Walked out of the 2nd half crossing my fingers for a 400. I hate the Comlex.

Primary sources: DIT (the old one that can be found via google). step up to step 2. Combank. Green omm book. Supplemental material: step up to med, onlinemeded notes I took for shelf studying. Studied 4 weeks. Finished about half of combank averaging in the mid 70s.

Prep: Had about 3 weeks of dedicated study time. Used DIT, Step Up to Step 2, and Secrets. Used COMBANK and COMQUEST mostly for OMM. Finished about half of each qbank with about 70% average. Did at least one full section of UWorld each day, and reviewed missed questions. Also, read the green book about two days beforehand.

Step 1: 544
Step 2: 677

Thrilled and relieved its all over. Good luck everyone!

Prep: Had about 3 weeks of dedicated study time. Used DIT, Step Up to Step 2, and Secrets. Used COMBANK and COMQUEST mostly for OMM. Finished about half of each qbank with about 70% average. Did at least one full section of UWorld each day, and reviewed missed questions. Also, read the green book about two days beforehand.

Step 1: 544
Step 2: 677

Thrilled and relieved its all over. Good luck everyone!

That's a sexy jump. For future generations, you can't put enough emphasis on understanding why you got qbank questions wrong and right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
step 1 was 418 (I was sooo crushed)
step 2 was 592 (I was crushed to think that had i gotten 1 more question right, I would break 600)

What do you think my chances for EM AOA?

Last edited:
Step 1: 597 (USMLE step 1: 239)
Step 2: 620

Prep: mostly all qbanks. I used Uworld, but mostly comquest and combank. As far books, I used step up to medicine, savarese, kaplan and secrets. Started studying in March with qbanks and secrets. Highly recommend step up to medicine for a complete guide to internal medicine. I also highly recommend Kaplans USMLE step 2 ck. It is expensive but the separate books for OB/GYN and Peds was clutch. This collection was very thorough and comprehensive. I dabbled with step 1 FA and pathoma for minor things requiring rote memorization. Otherwise, I totally walked away from that exam feeling worse than step 1. My goal was over 600, so I am very pleased!

Step 1 - 564 (usmle 237)
Step 2 - 524 (usmle 257)

Did well on USMLE step 1 (going allo gas) so I was pretty much just going for a pass. I think i finished the entire thing in about 4.5 hours. So happy its done! Congrats to everyone and their great scores!

COMLEX 1: 520's
COMSAE C (2 weeks out, some studying) : 570
COMSAE D (1 week out) : 620
Combank percentage: 72%
COMAT's (for those interested) : High 80's/Low 90's

COMLEX II Real Deal: 580's :)

I'm VERY pleased with my score, especially since it's an improvement over my COMLEX 1. As far as prep, I did a bunch of combank on my last rotation for about 2-3 weeks before third year finished. After the end of the rotation I took a COMSAE, then spent the next 2 weeks dedicated to studying. I read Master the Boards through once and did all of COMBANK, and of course did a day or two of Savarese at the end.

Definitely felt weird at the end of the test, and was one of those people who was teettering on the edge of feeling like I didn't pass. Bottom line, it might feel bad after it's over... try not to freak out too much!

YAY IT'S OVER

Got my score. Here are my stats:
Comlex I- 699
USMLE I- 247
Comlex II-724 took it 6/28
USMLEII- screw that!
COMSAE B- 595 bullsh#t
UWorld- 69%
I thought the test was really hard. More stats than I was expecting and OMM was difficult too. Honestly was hoping for a 600. I guess I'll echo others in recommending you stay on top of your shelf exams during third yr. I completed 100% of the question banks combank- 80% and comquest- 78%. I did Uworld during the year to study for shelves. I read Step up to medicine before my step II and read secrets maybe two months before my exam during a psych rotation. I just feel like I got lucky, but I'll take it. My Dermatology dreams are still alive!

Last edited:
for those out there looking for the best study method i say shell out the money for the newest DIT and go through it twice. It really worked for me and kept me on track and I'm VERY happy with my scores! Thats the main thing i did plus all of UWORLD, some of comquest and combank for omm.
Good luck all!

Comlex I - 612
USMLE I -230
Comlex II - 745 :eek:

I just got my score today and I'm a little confused... happy but confused.

USMLE I - 262
COMLEX I - 752
USMLE II - 272
COMLEX II - 899

Is this real? I thought it went up to 800. I'm obviously happy with it but more perplexed.

USMLE I - 262
COMLEX I - 752
USMLE II - 272
COMLEX II - 899

Is this real? I thought it went up to 800. I'm obviously happy with it but more perplexed.

Troll? Haha

Stats:
Level 1: High 600's
Level 2: High 600's

Pennsylvania 100m sprint vs paintball guy: Debatable

I have to preface my COMLEX experience by saying that depending on what day you take the test, you may range +/- 80 points. I think it's safe to say that you will wish you are lucky on your test day rather than prepared.

My exam was really well put together in that it was fairly balanced and comprehensive (This is not always the case, and I'm grateful and lucky for that). As with the trend of comlex, you need to know your family medicine, peds, and obi-gyn. My test had roughly 3-4 questions each section that I had to completely guess on, but the rest of the questions were very fair.

I used uworld and case files for almost all my NBME shelfs and averaged around 88%. It's true what everyone says; try to keep up with the reading during your 3rd year. As for case files vs blue prints, I think blue prints is too detailed and not high yield enough for both level 2 / step 2. As for my dedicated studying, I studied 1 month straight roughly 10 hours a day using DIT/Step up to step 2, Savarese OMT book, Uworld, Comquest, and Combank. Right before that month I had my internal medicine shelf so I was pretty fresh on my medicine. I would strongly recommend against using step up to step 2 without DIT due to its errors and the lack of additional material from DIT. If I didn't have DIT I would have probably just read secrets. I finished UWorld during my 3rd year and again during my month of studying, and this is where I got most of my foundation from. Comquest for my test day was 10/10 high yield. Combank on my test day was personally the biggest waste of time of my dedicated study; It's such a poorly written question bank, I felt like I lost points doing that bank because of the time wasted reading its ridiculous questions and answers. I'm biased because Combank for my level 1 was similar in that it didn't help me at all so maybe its just me. If I just studied for the comlex, I still think the best question bank combination is Uworld and Comquest. Uworld would help with your foundation knowledge, and comquest would hit the high yield points for comlex.

Screenshot?

I'll be happy to post one, but I just want to make it clear my purpose for posting was not to brag about the score (or "troll," for that matter) -- I'm honestly confused and I'm looking for information. I could have been more clear in my prior post, but I guess I was still a little dazed. Does anyone have information on the maximum score? Should I expect an investigation or anything? Is it possible this is a mistake?

Last edited:
@ Shadeblueracer.

Unfortunately for you the 100m sprint has nothing to do with luck and you can expect to be losing to me for the foreseeable future.

Good luck in all of your non-athletic endeavors. Your friend, Paintballguy.

I'll be happy to post one, but I just want to make it clear my purpose for posting was not to brag about the score (or "troll," for that matter) -- I'm honestly confused and I'm looking for information. I could have been more clear in my prior post, but I guess I was still a little dazed. Does anyone have information on the maximum score? Should I expect an investigation or anything? Is it possible this is a mistake?

I think the answer to your question is yes, you can score >800. If you search maximum comlex score, you can find where some years ago, a couple of people talk about scoring 840 and >840 on comlex level 3.
Also from looking back at stuff, all I ever find is that it says the avg score is 500, std deviation is 89, most examinees receive a score between 250 and 750.... No mention of minimum or maximum score.
Just checked the data from the AOA Charting Outcomes (or whatever the official title is with the info from AOA match put out a couple years back for 2009), it shows the graph going up to 1000.... obviously not a 3 digit score... but scores on the graph were up to 888...

Hope that helps. Sounds like your score is legit. Congrats

Last edited:
step 1 was 418 (I was sooo crushed)
step 2 was 592 (I was crushed to think that had i gotten 1 more question right, I would break 600)

What do you think my chances for EM AOA?

Wow! Seriously congrats! Jeez thats a jump. If you dont mind could you post some of your stats (i.e. comsae scores). Personally I am struggling with comsaes right now and have to take level II in two weeks :scared: I got a 440 on level 1 and honestly I just dont want to fail level II

Thank

I was just joking around. But I have seen 811 before. But 899 seems crazy but possible. Like the previous post said it can occur with the curves they put out. Congrats!
:thumbup:

Wow congrats to all for their scores... I took COMSAE B and that was my best score, but I walked out of the test feeling like I definitely failed. So hopefully my score falls in somewhere with those above.

Comsae a - 600, 3 weeks before step 2?

Step 2 >>650.
Had a ton of ob/gyn and score report was weakest in that, felt awful about the exam. Comsae a was representative for everything but OB. So much OB. Had FM OMM IM PEDS down well ...didn't study surgery.
Used FA for step 2, savarese, CB and CQ.

M1M2 - average grades, average comats (blueprints during clerkship no qbank during the year), high step 1 (priorities)

Good luck to all. Work like you got a 401 on your 3rd attempt.

I'm still in pleasant disbelief...

History-
USMLE I: 244
Comlex I: 631

A month and a half out from Step 2-
School provided NBME: 240
School provided COMSAE: 550

Step 2 scores-
USMLE II: 252
Comlex II: 724

In addition to normal shelf studying during the year I also finished our school's included subscription to Kaplan Qbank by finishing the peds section during peds rotation, the ob section during ob rotation, etc...

Study schedule for the last month, which I would generally not recommend to others:
1. A month out I read Master the Boards straight through.
2. After MTB, I did one pass through UWorld on tutor mode.
3. Two days before the test I read Savarese (Green Book)- thankfully I had an OMM elective during 3rd year so it was easy review.
4. Skimmed Secrets the day before the test, as well as the the morning of the test.
Nothing else, nothing more.

Halfway through the Comlex I was sure that I was failing. I actually started to tear up because it felt as if I was guessing every other answer. Very close to crying in the testing center. I'm not sure how it turned out so well, but I'm not going to ask questions or request a recount. As long as I pass PE, boards are thankfully done for now! :)

Level 1: 705
80s and 90s on all shelf exams
UWorld: 71% - throughout 3rd year
Comquest: 82%
Comsae C: 650
Actual score Level 2: 725

.... Did they curve it by adding 200 points to everyone's score? Because I felt terrible about that test, was fairly certain I wouldn't break 500. I'm very happily surprised.

Resources: FA CK, World, Comquest. That's it. Didn't use savarese and wasn't needed for my test version: tbh I don't like that book, too long of a read.

COMLEX 1: 689
COMLEX 2: 770

I read MTB 3x, Uworld 2x, COMQUEST 2x, Combank 1x. I only had 1.5 weeks of full-time board studying. Fortunately I had 2/3 of my last 3 core rotation months with chill schedules so i dedicated a lot of my time then.

Would someone mind posting how the timing works and which breaks count against you? I just wanted to be sure I'm understanding it correctly. Thanks in advance.

Good work everyone! Are any of you (or anyone you know) taking COMLEX II PE on September 11th? I wanted to see if anyone wants to share a cab. I was going to rent a car but the last good flight to Phoenix leaves at 5:30 and I will need to hustle back to the airport with out having to check in a car.

Would someone mind posting how the timing works and which breaks count against you? I just wanted to be sure I'm understanding it correctly. Thanks in advance.

8 blocks of 50 questions. 4 hours in the AM, 4 hours in the PM. After block 2 you can take 10 mins but it deducts from your 4 hours. After block 4 you get a free 40 min lunch. After block 6 you can take 10 mins but again, they deduct from your afternoon 4 hrs.
Unlike the NBME, the NBOME apparently does not believe that people need to stretch, drink, or urinate more than every 4 hours.

8 blocks of 50 questions. 4 hours in the AM, 4 hours in the PM. After block 2 you can take 10 mins but it deducts from your 4 hours. After block 4 you get a free 40 min lunch. After block 6 you can take 10 mins but again, they deduct from your afternoon 4 hrs.
Unlike the NBME, the NBOME apparently does not believe that people need to stretch, drink, or urinate more than every 4 hours.
Yet another way that NBOME, AOA, AACOM, COMLEX, etc show their ignorance IMO. Not sure how inducing dehydration or making someone "hold it" (without it counting against them) comes across as a good idea, but oh well. Yeah, I know... move faster and it's not a problem (wasn't for me) but I think, by principle, this is just wrong.

Anyone who's taken the exam recently, were peds calculations (maintenance fluids, dosages, etc) high yield?

USMLE I - 262
COMLEX I - 752
USMLE II - 272
COMLEX II - 899

You are literally an animal. And I sincerely hope that you do not apply to residency at the same locations as I.

Congratulations to the highest on your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any idea when the next batch of scores will be released? From the posts I gather up to July 12th have been released.

Anyone have any idea when the next batch of scores will be released? From the posts I gather up to July 12th have been released.

Scores are released through July 19th. I would guess the next batch comes out end of this month or early September.

Scores back yesterday, too busy/tired from auditions to post anything. Studied for 4 weeks. Did old version DIT, Step up to step 2, Boards and Wards and a quick skim of both Master the Boards 2 and Secrets. >80% on Uworld, >90% on Comquest. Comsae was a 680 before I started studying. Had only used board material to study for school exams through the school year. Felt really good coming out of my exam. I think those resources worked well. Especially boards and wards, had all of the weird obscure things COMLEX loves. And I focused on OMM which I neglected on step 1.

Step 1 - 607
Usmle 1 - 253
Usmle 2 - 258
Step 2 - 824!

Congratulations to everyone! 9 more months! Good luck with audition rotations and PE exams :)

Vinyl, you're like my score twin.
I scored
COMLEX 1: 597 (Step 1: 241)
COMLEX 2: 627 (Step 2: 254)

COMLEX I: 478
COMSAE C: 584
COMLEX II: 644

I was really surprised at the jump in my scores from level one to level two, I didn't feel especially confident about it when I finished the exam. I used First Aid, UWorld, and Combank for three weeks before taking level two. I'm applying to psych, both osteo and allo programs, hoping that these are good enough scores for the allo programs (I'm not applying to any high tier competitive programs).

Congrats to everyone who got their scores and are done with this stressful nightmare!