2013 COMLEX Level 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your COMLEX Level 2 scores, and everything pertaining to Lvl 2 here. Took my CE on 4/24. 4 weeks out and still waiting for my score.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in an accelerated 3-yr track so the timing for board exams is weird and confusing. I took it about 2 mos sooner than I was supposed to but didn't know it was gonna be a big deal until the day before the exam and too late to reschedule. Caused a bit of drama. It's all good :)

Passed!

Step 1-435
Step 2-430

So glad to be done with this exam! Best of luck everyone with residency apps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am. Only 3 days left, and I am working during the day as well. Anyone got any last minute review tips for maximum yield?

UWorld - 67%, 100% complete
COMBANK - 69%; 100% complete -
Comquest - 68%; 100% complete
Comsae II B - 490. 12 days prior to actual. Figured I was ok and I was content since I already got a 226 on USMLE Step 2.

Just failed with 392 -74. Ouch. I hate this test.

UWorld - 67%, 100% complete
COMBANK - 69%; 100% complete -
Comquest - 68%; 100% complete
Comsae II B - 490. 12 days prior to actual. Figured I was ok and I was content since I already got a 226 on USMLE Step 2.

Just failed with 392 -74. Ouch. I hate this test.

Sorry to hear about this. I know a few in my class that have struggled equally, good luck with the retake.

Yes the scores were out on the 24th... I have been a silent reader on these forums and want you guys to know that I have struggled with this exam as well. I failed the first time with a 398...You can see how close... But this time around I passed with 200 + points...and it is a relief...
I understand how people out there feel who have failed or are struggling studying for this exam... But the comlex loves OBGYN and majority of questions were OBGYN both times around ...and I feel like most of the comlex is always mostly OBGYN... Well I studied for OBGYN in three days with a set of notes and I think I walked out of the exam knowing I got every question right on OBGYN and only felt unsure of the other questions... But since majority of questions were OBGYN I was confident that I did pass .
Please send me a private message in regards to notes for OBGYN I used and studying tips...
Good luck to everyone out there! You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
I would truly appreciate if any of you guys would post the top three or four sources you used to study for step 2 (I'm a third year planning on taking both USMLE and Comlex). I want to be prepared with all the "must have" material to do well on these exams but there seems to be less clear cut resources that EVERYONE uses to study for step 1. I did well on step 1 and mainly used First Aid, DIT, Uworld, and pathoma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would truly appreciate if any of you guys would post the top three or four sources you used to study for step 2 (I'm a third year planning on taking both USMLE and Comlex). I want to be prepared with all the "must have" material to do well on these exams but there seems to be less clear cut resources that EVERYONE uses to study for step 1. I did well on step 1 and mainly used First Aid, DIT, Uworld, and pathoma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Number 1. UWorld
Number 2. Master the boards 2 (for IM) and 3 (everything else*)
Number 3. Green book by Savarese (Omm)
Number 4. OMM qbank your choice, I recommend comquest.

That would be a good solid core. If you have time, read step up to medicine. You also might refer out to other sources just for depth ie rapid review path.

* I did MTB 2&3 completely and found it extremely helpful as they both overlap a lot and have unique details that aren't in each respective book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the viscerosomatic points are for the gall bladder and adrenal glands? There seems to be a discrepancy between all the OMM sources.

Does anyone know what the viscerosomatic points are for the gall bladder and adrenal glands? There seems to be a discrepancy between all the OMM sources.

I was taught t5-9 for gall bladder (falls into that region of GI system) and adrenals were t10-t11 if I recall correctly. They're the same as the kidney.

Took the test today and quite sure I failed. I've already failed step 2 before and this was my last chance before I get kicked out. It sucks that I am 5 months from graduation and my career may end before it begins because of such a poorly written exam. I had lots of medical legal type questions with laws I have never heard of, at least 5 questions on the specifics of anthrax, 5+ questions on specific types of alopecia. So many questions were vague with no labs. I had lots of colonoscopy images and weird looking diagnostic images. I was tempted to get up and walk out multiple times. I wish we could just take the usmle in order to graduate! Sorry for the long rant, but Comlex sucks!

Took the test today and quite sure I failed. I've already failed step 2 before and this was my last chance before I get kicked out. It sucks that I am 5 months from graduation and my career may end before it begins because of such a poorly written exam. I had lots of medical legal type questions with laws I have never heard of, at least 5 questions on the specifics of anthrax, 5+ questions on specific types of alopecia. So many questions were vague with no labs. I had lots of colonoscopy images and weird looking diagnostic images. I was tempted to get up and walk out multiple times. I wish we could just take the usmle in order to graduate! Sorry for the long rant, but Comlex sucks!

Sorry to hear you had a rough test, but I think everyone describes the test the same way. How did you prepare differently the second time? How was peds and ob on the test?

I just took the beast this morning (12/16) for my second time. I used MTBS2, Uworld, and combank. I felt like study wise I was ready as anything (64% Uworld, 600 comsae B). I walked out feeling...meh. I agree with some of the above posters that the questions are so vague, at least for me, it is hard to make an educated guess. I could narrow most questions down to 2 answers (and then another answer I couldn't cross off yet because I'd never even HEARD of it) and just made educated guesses. My studying did not get me the right answer but it did do a fair job of cutting down the choices. I also had questions like the above posters on alopecia, anthrax, and some EGD images that could have come from the inside of a shoe for all I know. OMM was mostly viscerosomatics which were pretty straight forward and I had quite a few on scoliosis.

Just putting in my 2 cents, venting helps clear the after-test brain fog. Hope any other 12/16'ers out there had a good test day!

Anyone take the exam on Jan 9th? I'm about to retake it on Jan 14th. just trying to finish up last minute studying and OMM. what subject did u guys think it was heavy on? were there any random topics like the previous posters mentioned? hoping for the best this time around! thanks everyone.

Have my exam end of June should I take any COMSAE Before studying? Or should I take the uworld self assessment?

Have my exam end of June should I take any COMSAE Before studying? Or should I take the uworld self assessment?

Took comsae b about 4wks before comlex2 after finishing combank, then did comquest in like 3wks and reviewed my notes from cb/CQ and my fa in that last week. That's all I did. Scored ~70 higher than my comsae. Taking a comsae after combank definitely helped me to focus more on my weak points.

Public service announcement: Do yourself a favor and study basic biostatistics again. Memorize all the high yield stuff: sensitivity, relative risk, odds ratio, etc. There will be a good number of these questions and you most certainly did not review this stuff during your third year rotations.

Took comsae b about 4wks before comlex2 after finishing combank, then did comquest in like 3wks and reviewed my notes from cb/CQ and my fa in that last week. That's all I did. Scored ~70 higher than my comsae. Taking a comsae after combank definitely helped me to focus more on my weak points.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you found FA helpful? I have First Aid but I love the way step up to medicine is written. I also am going to do DIT the month before so I think I need step up to step 2.

I was wondering if you felt you needed both Combank and Comquest? I only bought Comquest because I heard it was "better". I used it for COmlex level 1 with Uworld and ended up getting a 468.

I am willing to get COMBANK as well since I want to do at least 500+ to show programs I'm worthy. I have finished about 65% of Uworld since we're taking NBME shelf exams for OMS III.

I was wondering if anyone solely used Uworld as well?

Thanks

Hello all!

I hope studies are going well for everyone. I am a 4th year that is one month from graduation and I need to pass the level 2 on May 21st in order for me to move on. I already matched into a residency...this is my final hurdle. For those that took the exam on May 4 or 14, I am writing to ask if anyone can please recall some of the topics that were on the exam. I would deeply appreciate any advice.

Thank you for your time.

Hey you guys,
I was wondering if those who took the exam and did COMQUEST last year....what was your % and the resulting COMLEX 2CE score?

I am getting 81% on my 2nd pass (1 week did it while working and did it timed)....obviously I remembered quite a few questions as I had started the qbank since February and subsequently wanted a refresher before my exam. I also did COMBANK and got a 65% on it (primarily timed) in mid June/July.

I have about 10% of Uworld remaining but I have done pretty terrible on it throughout the year (mixed timed and tutor)--with like a 50% average score.

Quick questions here. If someone scored higher than 650+ on level 1 is it even realistic to think that you could score higher on level 2? Is a program gonna think less if you get a 550+ on level 2 even though it's possibly 100 less than your level 1? I'm starting to study for level 2 now am trying to get into a competitive AOA residency any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick questions here. If someone scored higher than 650+ on level 1 is it even realistic to think that you could score higher on level 2? Is a program gonna think less if you get a 550+ on level 2 even though it's possibly 100 less than your level 1? I'm starting to study for level 2 now am trying to get into a competitive AOA residency any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think that it is very realistic to score higher or at least very close to your lvl 1. According to the COMLEX score converter, a Level 1 650 = 93 percentile while a Level 2 550 = 54 percentile. That's a drastic difference! I think that scoring close to your original lvl is very doable and should be expected since Step 2 tests clinical knowledge, which seems much more valuable.

Last edited:
Hey you guys,
I was wondering if those who took the exam and did COMQUEST last year....what was your % and the resulting COMLEX 2CE score?

I am getting 81% on my 2nd pass (1 week did it while working and did it timed)....obviously I remembered quite a few questions as I had started the qbank since February and subsequently wanted a refresher before my exam. I also did COMBANK and got a 65% on it (primarily timed) in mid June/July.

I have about 10% of Uworld remaining but I have done pretty terrible on it throughout the year (mixed timed and tutor)--with like a 50% average score.

There was a thread last year with a good amount of data points that showed the correlation between combank, comquest, and comlex was pretty bad. I think uworld had a better correlation with comlex that those two, just from the data posted.