2013 COMLEX Level 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your COMLEX Level 2 scores, and everything pertaining to Lvl 2 here. Took my CE on 4/24. 4 weeks out and still waiting for my score.

Members don't see this ad.

I was surprised with one of the answers on comquest so I just wanted to make sure I have this correct now.

So sexually active females younger than 25 and low risk = pap smear + G/C screening
sexually active females younger than 25 + high risk = pap smear + G/C screening + HIV + syphilis
sexually active females > 25y/o and low risk = pap smear
sexually active females > 25 + high risk = pap smear + G/C screening + HIV + syphilis

Do I have that right? I didn't think HIV and syphilis was part of the screening process but the question quoted USPSTF and that seems to be what they're getting at, but I'm not sure.

Just know paps start at 21, HIV screening is done in everyone age 15-65, G/C screening in sexually active females <25. Screening for asymptomatic STDs (syphilis) isn't recommended by ACOG or USPSTF.

Just know paps start at 21, HIV screening is done in everyone age 15-65, G/C screening in sexually active females <25. Screening for asymptomatic STDs (syphilis) isn't recommended by ACOG or USPSTF.

I'd also know the pap q3 years [OR pap+HPV screen q5 years when over 30 y/o]

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,
so i am taking comlex 2 soon and i was wondering if there was any obscure micro on the exam...i was planning on looking over first aid for micro (from stepp 1) again but i am not sure if i will have time and would rather focus on other stuff...i took two comsaes and was in the 700s on both, but i also have no idea how to gauge these nbome exams, and from the posts on here, it seems like a big crapshoot...

hey everyone,
so i am taking comlex 2 soon and i was wondering if there was any obscure micro on the exam...i was planning on looking over first aid for micro (from stepp 1) again but i am not sure if i will have time and would rather focus on other stuff...i took two comsaes and was in the 700s on both, but i also have no idea how to gauge these nbome exams, and from the posts on here, it seems like a big crapshoot...

Don't waste your time studying micro. The micro that is on there isn't bad.

Has anyone just did UWORLD for comlex and read FA 2CK and review OMM questions? I am 85% done with UWORLD and I realllllllllllly dont feel like doing combank or comquest. Can I do well w/out it?

If you are really trying to knock Comlex out of the park, I would do Comquest. There are only about 1300 questions, and you can move through the questions and explanations pretty quickly. That's what I did, and it worked out really well. I walked out of the test very glad that I did Comquest. I was on the fence like you. Totally your decision, and this is only my opinion. If you just want to pass and are applying strictly to the allo match, don't worry about it. I did about 70% of UWorld.

Last edited:
if you are really trying to knock comlex out of the park, i would do comquest. There are only about 1300 questions, and you can move through the questions and explanations pretty quickly. That's what i did, and it worked out really. I walked out of the test very glad that i did comquest. I was on the fence like you. Totally your decision, and this is only my opinion. If you just want to pass and are applying strictly to the allo match, don't worry about it. I did about 70% of uworld.

thanks!!!

Hi,
I'm a new 3rd year here and I just finished COMLEX level 1. I did not take USMLE level 1 yet, as I am waiting to get my score back from COMLEX level to see if I should take it as I was feeling a lot better about my COMLEX performance than my ability to even pass the USMLE step 1.

However, on to step 2, we obviously have to take COMLEX Level 2. I am however, contemplating taking USMLE step 2 as well (but I am not 100% sure~as it all depends on if I take USMLE step 1 and my subsequent performance on that exam).

I have step up to medicine already and I know that that has been suggested. But, as I begin my rotations and have shelf exams coming up, I was contemplating on buying a COMLEX Level 2 specific bank for 1 year and using that to prepare for shelf exams (i.e. do Peds level 2 questions before the Peds shelf, etc.)

In the chance that I decide to take USMLE step 2, would this be beneficial as well, or would you just suggest getting Uworld step 2 for the COMLEX level 2 as well?

I know for level 1, it was suggested that the best resource for the COMLEX level 1 was uworld, which I totally agree with. But is the same true for level 2 as well? I was thinking about just getting one year of COMQUEST.

Truly apologize to post on your guys' thread just wanted some advice as I wasn't able to obtain a concrete answer through previous searches.

Hi,
I'm a new 3rd year here and I just finished COMLEX level 1. I did not take USMLE level 1 yet, as I am waiting to get my score back from COMLEX level to see if I should take it as I was feeling a lot better about my COMLEX performance than my ability to even pass the USMLE step 1.

However, on to step 2, we obviously have to take COMLEX Level 2. I am however, contemplating taking USMLE step 2 as well (but I am not 100% sure~as it all depends on if I take USMLE step 1 and my subsequent performance on that exam).

I have step up to medicine already and I know that that has been suggested. But, as I begin my rotations and have shelf exams coming up, I was contemplating on buying a COMLEX Level 2 specific bank for 1 year and using that to prepare for shelf exams (i.e. do Peds level 2 questions before the Peds shelf, etc.)

In the chance that I decide to take USMLE step 2, would this be beneficial as well, or would you just suggest getting Uworld step 2 for the COMLEX level 2 as well?

I know for level 1, it was suggested that the best resource for the COMLEX level 1 was uworld, which I totally agree with. But is the same true for level 2 as well? I was thinking about just getting one year of COMQUEST.

Truly apologize to post on your guys' thread just wanted some advice as I wasn't able to obtain a concrete answer through previous searches.

Yes, you should do Uworld for Level 2 (and obviously Step 2) prep, in addition to using a COMLEX bank (my preference is Comquest), esp for the OMM.

I bought a full year of Uworld for the shelf exams (my school did NBME shelf exams) and then I saved like 15% of it to do before the Step 2. Like you said, I did the peds questions in prep for the peds shelf, ob Q's for the OB shelf, etc...

Unless your school uses NBOME shelf exams, I wouldn't bother buying a year of a comlex bank because it won't be good enough as NBME shelf prep. A 2-ish months subscription should be sufficient to use before your Level 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your position in deciding to take usmle 1 and waited for my comlex to figure it out. Didnt end up taking it. From my n=1 experience, uworld was not the best qbank for comlex 1--i didnt spend time on biochem or immuno and burned out during rotations.

For step 2, you may just want to have a similar strategy as your step 1 studying. From my step 2 experience, comquest was the best bank, buy I'd save it for just before you take the exam. I'm waiting for my score.

For shelf exams, my friends used uworld, I read the first aid for each rotation, read blueprints for some and leisurely read Harrison's throughout the year, as well as epocrates. Not a big question guy.

Get FA ck and annotate key points in it throughout the year from other sources, and by the time that step studying begins, you will have a great resource, because step 2 is a cluster****. I have no idea how people used other review books-they lack detail, have few pictures etc.

Relax until ~march

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

thanks for the advice ya'll.

yeah, i am forgetting more than think i will be able to learn for step 1. i think my peak time has gone and i need to just focus on comlex step 2 and possibly usmle step 2 as well as learning in my rotations.

i decided to pick up a brs peds book for the shelf that has a bunch of questions and case files for pediatrics. i am a little tight for funds, but i may also decide to buy the uworld for step 2 later on. its just such a time consuming thing to do questions as well.

my school does nbme exams so i guess uworld would be good for practice in that regard. however, if you had to prioritize for the shelf exams would u go ahead and say the questions in the books are decent enough?

i think my top priority is building a foundation. one of my biggest pitfalls in studying for step 1 usmle was my inability to finish uworld due to the fact that i spent an enormous amount of time just reading the explanations.

i did not finish comquest either. oh well what is done is done, but i do need to at least pass the shelf exams in order to proceed forward in my program so that is my top priority at the moment.

thanks much again for the tips

I took the exam today and thought it was tough. I studied about 2.5 weeks and did about 1000 combank/comquest questions, 73% and 75% respectively. Did maybe couple hundred uworld on a friend's account. I always felt strong on practice questions but ran into a lot of wtf on the actual exam. I marked nearly 50% of questions as guesses. Feels bad, man. /sadfrog

I took the exam today and thought it was tough. I studied about 2.5 weeks and did about 1000 combank/comquest questions, 73% and 75% respectively. Did maybe couple hundred uworld on a friend's account. I always felt strong on practice questions but ran into a lot of wtf on the actual exam. I marked nearly 50% of questions as guesses. Feels bad, man. /sadfrog

that exam was near impossible....I don't understand how anyone can do well on this exam. Half of the questions don't make any sense or don't have enough information in the question stem. This is such as POS exam it's so frustrating.

I have almost a week left. completed Uworld and starting my comlex specific studying. I have comquest and combank. do you guys recommend which areas to do from which qbank? for example I am thinking of running thru ob and peds ethics and omm from both combank and comquest. an other sections you guys recommend?

I have almost a week left. completed Uworld and starting my comlex specific studying. I have comquest and combank. do you guys recommend which areas to do from which qbank? for example I am thinking of running thru ob and peds ethics and omm from both combank and comquest. an other sections you guys recommend?

Sounds doable. Just do as much as you have time for.

I took my exam yesterday. What a headache of an test. . .definitely thought it was tougher than Level 1. There were a lot of questions that I thought could definitely have more than one right answer. I had multiple questions on the same topic, including very similar written questions. . .made it feel like the question bank the comlex has is very small and not varied. The images really sucked on my exam just like level 1. I also had about 3 or 4 audio/video questions that I was a little surprised about. I thought those questions were not too bad, just time consuming. As far as topics. . .most of my exam seemed to be Renal/GU, Obgyn, Biostats/Ethics and Peds. Had questions with medications I've never heard of before, and a few asking to name the most common bug. Not as much OMM as I was expecting.

I studied for about 1.5 months while on rotations. Started out with UWorld for awhile, but switched to Comquest. I'm glad I did, though the real test was harder than Comquest questions, including longer stems. I did most of the comquest questions and averaged around 70%. I also read through first aid for step 2. I feel like I did horrible on this test yesterday. . .really hoping I'm not going to have to retake this thing.

i decided to pick up a brs peds book for the shelf that has a bunch of questions and case files for pediatrics. i am a little tight for funds, but i may also decide to buy the uworld for step 2 later on. its just such a time consuming thing to do questions as well.

my school does nbme exams so i guess uworld would be good for practice in that regard. however, if you had to prioritize for the shelf exams would u go ahead and say the questions in the books are decent enough?

The questions in the books are not good enough. (Especially, BRS... it's copyrighted 2004... almost 10 years old). On top of that, the explanations are brief, and the content is specific to what that author decided was important to include. I do know people who *passed* the shelf exams without doing U world...but I wouldn't want to take that chance, but they also read more than one review text in place of doing questions. If your school bases your rotation grade in any part on your shelf score, you want to do more than just pass the test.

Sorry to be blunt/dramatic, but if you have a credit card, use it. Failing a shelf during your third year will cause you to be off-schedule and will really mess you up later on when planning auditions/ scheduling level 2/ applying for residency. This is your education and the rest of your life... I'm sure you can reallocate $400 for a question bank.

I had multiple questions on the same topic, including very similar written questions. . .made it feel like the question bank the comlex has is very small and not varied.

Yeah, there were like 3 questions asked 5 times each. Was weird.

I also had about 3 or 4 audio/video questions that I was a little surprised about.

I totally wasn't prepared for the audio ones. I didn't even review that material, so I'm sure I missed all of those.

Had questions with medications I've never heard of before

And don't forget the esoteric medical terms that are necessary to answer the questions. "17 yo girl presents with sialadenitis. What is most likely dx?" (a made up example, but not far from the truth)

Not as much OMM as I was expecting.

Definitely not. I was shocked. And it wasn't all chapman points like step 1. Had a question or two not in the green book, but overall, it seemed fair.

really hoping I'm not going to have to retake this thing.

It feels so surreal, doesn't it?

I totally wasn't prepared for the audio ones. I didn't even review that material, so I'm sure I missed all of those.

I'm thinking that these audio/video questions might be experimental?

And don't forget the esoteric medical terms that are necessary to answer the questions. "17 yo girl presents with sialadenitis. What is most likely dx?" (a made up example, but not far from the truth)

There was all kinds of weird terminology on my exam, and not necessarily medically related. I felt you needed a strong command of the English language to pick up on key information in some of the questions. . .something that is not a strong-point of mine unfortunately!

Definitely not. I was shocked. And it wasn't all chapman points like step 1. Had a question or two not in the green book, but overall, it seemed fair.

I actually had more chapman's points on this test than level 1. And, they were not points listed in the green book. Comquest saved me a few times because they go over many of the other points, but there were a few I still did not know. Definitely did not have as many spinal levels as I did on level 1, unfortunately. But, definitely think the OMM questions were pretty fair for the most part.

It feels so surreal, doesn't it?

It does feel pretty surreal that I may not pass this thing. I definitely feel a lot worse coming off this test than I did for level 1, and if I do manage to pass, I don't think I'll do as good as level 1. Guess I have to get ready for the PE now. . . .

I took mine at the end of June and I thought mine was awful as well. I definitely feel much worse about it than step 1 and I am not the type that says I think I did bad on every exam either. I am really worried and I studied 4 + months and did Uworld, COMBANK, and COMQUEST. The thing about it is I dont know that if I would have studied 6 more months I would have felt any better.

I'm thinking that these audio/video questions might be experimental?

There was all kinds of weird terminology on my exam, and not necessarily medically related. I felt you needed a strong command of the English language to pick up on key information in some of the questions. . .something that is not a strong-point of mine unfortunately!

I actually had more chapman's points on this test than level 1. And, they were not points listed in the green book. Comquest saved me a few times because they go over many of the other points, but there were a few I still did not know. Definitely did not have as many spinal levels as I did on level 1, unfortunately. But, definitely think the OMM questions were pretty fair for the most part.

It does feel pretty surreal that I may not pass this thing. I definitely feel a lot worse coming off this test than I did for level 1, and if I do manage to pass, I don't think I'll do as good as level 1. Guess I have to get ready for the PE now. . . .

I'm not certain. I thought it was about a month, but the NBOME site states the scores have only been released for CE exams taken through May 24. That was seven weeks ago.

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. Maybe they got backed up. Still they need to get back on track with a quicker turnaround because almost 2 months for a computer based exam is nuts.

Sorry to be blunt/dramatic, but if you have a credit card, use it. Failing a shelf during your third year will cause you to be off-schedule and will really mess you up later on when planning auditions/ scheduling level 2/ applying for residency. This is your education and the rest of your life... I'm sure you can reallocate $400 for a question bank.

I will say that from my experience, a qbank during 3rs year isn't necessary especially if you're taking p/f shelf exams. The blueprints or first aid series plus omm viscersomatics are plenty sufficient. I am an average student in terms of grades and motivation, and just reading was fine for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys just a quick question, anyone find any difference between the COMSAE's they took? Like was COMSAE A or B or C or D more accurate to their real score? Thanks!

Recently took it..

Level 1: 705
80s and 90s on all shelf exams
UWorld: 71% - throughout 3rd year
Comquest: 82%
Comsae C: 650

Thoughts: Lots of random stuff I haven't seen or heard of. Couldn't even make decent guesses because they asked very specific questions with similar foils. Lots of specific questions on things I have heard of but wasn't sure to the depth they asked about.

Was expecting lots of Renal, OBGYN, GU, Peds, Ethics/Law... Had 2 renal questions, 10ish OBGYN, 50+ peds, 5 GU, ~20 ethics/law

OMT around 1/3 of the test. Straight forward, nothing hit hard and covered everything. Surprisingly nothing obscure and for the most part the questions were well written. OMT will be the only thing to save my score.

Feels bad man.

Actual score: ~725... I don't even know how....

Last edited:
Recently took it..

Level 1: 705
80s and 90s on all shelf exams
UWorld: 71% - throughout 3rd year
Comquest: 82%
Comsae C: 650

Thoughts: Lots of random stuff I haven't seen or heard of. Couldn't even make decent guesses because they asked very specific questions with similar foils. Lots of specific questions on things I have heard of but wasn't sure to the depth they asked about.

Was expecting lots of Renal, OBGYN, GU, Peds, Ethics/Law... Had 2 renal questions, 10ish OBGYN, 50+ peds, 5 GU, ~20 ethics/law

OMT around 1/3 of the test. Straight forward, nothing hit hard and covered everything. Surprisingly nothing obscure and for the most part the questions were well written. OMT will be the only thing to save my score.

Feels bad man.

I'm sure you did well! Everyone feels confused when they finish COMLEX. Their purpose to make you feel that way ha. :laugh:

Can anyone comment on the omt on the real deal? I know everything well except the Chapman points besides the obvious points. Comquest has a decent amount of questions on this matter and I was wondering how many people had on the real thing? Also how difficult was the cranial?

Can anyone comment on the omt on the real deal? I know everything well except the Chapman points besides the obvious points. Comquest has a decent amount of questions on this matter and I was wondering how many people had on the real thing? Also how difficult was the cranial?

Cranial on my exam was pretty basic and straight-forward. I had quite a few Chapman's points that were not in the green book. Besides those Chapman's, OMM was fairly easy points on my exam.

I had a handful of chapmans points, some spinal levels (less than on step 1), and a bunch of cranial. Had some odds and ends sacrum/pelvis, and then the usual setups for muscle energy or counterstrain. Most of the cranial was just diagnosing strain patterns... which I'm really bad at and didn't really want to learn. It would probably have been easy if I knew what I was doing.

The questions in the books are not good enough. (Especially, BRS... it's copyrighted 2004... almost 10 years old). On top of that, the explanations are brief, and the content is specific to what that author decided was important to include. I do know people who *passed* the shelf exams without doing U world...but I wouldn't want to take that chance, but they also read more than one review text in place of doing questions. If your school bases your rotation grade in any part on your shelf score, you want to do more than just pass the test.

thank you for this post, I ended up buying it for a year afterall.

Cranial on my exam was pretty basic and straight-forward. I had quite a few Chapman's points that were not in the green book. Besides those Chapman's, OMM was fairly easy points on my exam.

I had a handful of chapmans points, some spinal levels (less than on step 1), and a bunch of cranial. Had some odds and ends sacrum/pelvis, and then the usual setups for muscle energy or counterstrain. Most of the cranial was just diagnosing strain patterns... which I'm really bad at and didn't really want to learn. It would probably have been easy if I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated! My exam is monday, preparing myself to be thinking wtf after each question just like level 1 lol

Question for those that took it, do you guys think it is necessary to go through tenderpoints in the OMT manual aside from the green book? Like looking through treatments, thoracic anterior tenderpoints, or lumbar tendpoints on the pelvis area?

Thanks!

I just took the COMSAE form C. Either I'm burned out from taking 2 exams within a week or that test is very poorly written. Predicted 503, still going to sit for the exam tomorrow as I have invested more time for usmle and intend on going ACGME. Any thoughts on how this predicts actual score? I've done roughly 55% of comquest at 73% correct so far.

Question for those that took it, do you guys think it is necessary to go through tenderpoints in the OMT manual aside from the green book? Like looking through treatments, thoracic anterior tenderpoints, or lumbar tendpoints on the pelvis area?

Thanks!

I had only one question on counterstrain, and it was straight out of the green book.

I took comlex on June 27th, anxiously awaiting the scores. I honestly felt very prepared beforehand but the test was ridiculous. I am pretty nervous right about now. The only thing slightly comforting is that three of my classmates took it the same day and felt exactly how I do. We had one question where there wasn't even a question on the test... Just a chart! No question. I'm hoping scores are released tomorrow or at least by Friday...

I took comlex on June 27th, anxiously awaiting the scores. I honestly felt very prepared beforehand but the test was ridiculous. I am pretty nervous right about now. The only thing slightly comforting is that three of my classmates took it the same day and felt exactly how I do. We had one question where there wasn't even a question on the test... Just a chart! No question. I'm hoping scores are released tomorrow or at least by Friday...

ha! I had the exact same issue with the "no question" question. ridiculous. who puts this thing together? monkeys at typewriters, I'll bet...

I also had a no-question question. Doesn't sound like it was the same one, though. Mine had a stem, but no actual indication of what they wanted as the answer. I must have read it a dozen times trying to find the question.

Here's hoping that some scores come out this week... it's a longshot, but I have the misguided hope that my July 3 scores might be in the next batch. Probably not, though.

has anyone heard any rumors about when the next batch of 2-ck scores will be released? it has been about 2 months with no scores released!?!?

has anyone heard any rumors about when the next batch of 2-ck scores will be released? it has been about 2 months with no scores released!?!?

I would guess they release scores through July 12th next week. Keep in mind there were no exams given May 25-June 25th. So they're not really behind on releasing scores.