2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perhaps I am.

For a future note, take what the speakers on interview day say with a grain of salt.

It was over the phone. Anywho, my entire interview day was filled with Californians with apparently decent stats or something. .

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this is too UD or not, but hopefully will give some hope to anyone in a similar situation!...

Accepted at VCOM-CC
24 MCAT - 10 10 4 (4 verbal)
cGPA 3.32
sGPA around 3.65

best of luck to all those out there.. Didn't think i'd get any love applying in late october with a 4 in verbal, but things turned out ok in the end!

HA!

Another VR=4!! See folks, when it comes to DO, anything is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was over the phone. Anywho, my entire interview day was filled with Californians with apparently decent stats or something. .

Did you talk to an actual admissions committee member or an "admissions counselor" at TUNCOM?

I spoke to the director of admissions. That one chick.

And she told you the GPA was a 3.6 this year???

I doubt it actually hit 3.6 but it could be something like Western's for this year like 3.58 and was just rounding up.

Anyhow, Serenade, you should probably go back to page 1 and highlight some of the names that definitely are NOT underdogs so that next years applicants don't get super confused.

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen many 6 in VR getting into MD... There will always be special cases.

We should do a scavenger hunt.

First to find 5 applicants on SDN who got into MDs with a 6 in VR (Non-ESL or URM) wins.

1) anicetus
2) Gust

We should do a scavenger hunt.

First to find 5 applicants on SDN who got into MDs with a 6 in VR (Non-ESL or URM) wins.

1) anicetus
2) Gust
There are a few that I saw in the WAMC forum. You will find more applicants in SDN that got into MD with a 6 in VR than applicants that got into DO with a 4. I would not exclude URM-AA since English is their first Language.

Wow, that last guy had a 19 MCAT.

I hope that people who were accepted this year with a low MCAT or low subsection will come back in a few years and tell us how they did on their boards. I am really curious to see if there is any strong correlation between a low MCAT and board scores.

Perhaps I am.

For a future note, take what the speakers on interview day say with a grain of salt.
I'm going to backup serenade on this one. I would say their averages are around 3.5/28. While they do interview a lot of people with lower stats they do seem to frequently reject post-interview those near their minimums in either category.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite their excuse/explanation from serenade & few others, I feel the same as jackzack87! I'm ESL, so uGPA is below 3.0. GradGPA 3.1, highest MCAT 27. I'm accepted into LUCOM, which is a great feeling. Sdners try to discredit new schools, while they have a lot of applicants to choose from. They invite some to interviews ranging from 15-37 MCAT and 2ish-3.9 GPA. They accept whoever are right for them: willing to help others without benefitting you. I am not Christian neither. I appreciate the opportunity they give and open-minded aspect, despite the speculations here on sdn. I posted here a few times, PMed serenade to update my acceptance (Dec 2013), and since some ppl think new schools are below them or whatever the reasons, I have not yet been updated.

Just wanna encourage UDs who fight hard, presevere, and genuinely have good hearts to believe and try your best, and you will get there ... we don't wanna be just another stats-obsess-cookie-cutter ... good luck!

Congrats on getting accepted. Personally I make my feelings towards LUCOM very well known and I personally believe that the teaching of medicine is a prestigious field that should not be given out lightly. LUCOM simply is not in my opinion a well respected academic institute and this goes far beyond their young creationism and other pseudoscience. I'm not doubting that LUCOM may rise up and produce good physicians. But in my opinion I think COCA was disingenuous to the profession as a whole when they offered preliminary accreditation to the school.

Regarding Jack, again a 3.0/22 is low. And despite people getting in, it's not worth risking that much money when you could reinvest it into bettering your application and numbers. That is my reasoning for being dissuasive, because I think that getting in hard enough without draining your coffers.

Also I haven't updated the board in a while. No vendetta against you, I just... go sidetracked with stuff, I'll try to give it a go through around spring break and please do remind me to update.

Reactions: 2 users
Regarding Jack, again a 3.0/22 is low.

Most people who got in with 22 have a 3.3+ c/sGPA and their low overall MCAT score most of the time is due to VR because they are ESL....

Last edited:
1394131940621.jpg

I hope that people who were accepted this year with a low MCAT or low subsection will come back in a few years and tell us how they did on their boards. I am really curious to see if there is any strong correlation between a low MCAT and board scores.
Then go to PubMed and read the story about it instead of relying on unscientific measurements.

also touchpause, you were pretty active on LUCOM thread, not anymore, where have you been? It was funny & amusing to read your comments there

I was worried about hurting too many feels to be honest.

Reactions: 1 user
No hard feelings about update, thanks for the reply

Also, about LUCOM: my point exactly! all speculations are, still, speculations. The curriculum at LUCOM won't be like their undergrad. No to creationism. Yes to embryology, physiology, anatomy, ob/gyn, and everything regular med school will teach their students in order to produce competent physicians, not only just to pass the boards, but also to apply these knowledge to treat & cure patients with servant's heart. I went to school in CT & NYC, been at the east coast for almost 10 years, engage in many kinds of scientific and clinical research and thesis. I will never attend a school that teaches pseudoscience. LUCOM does not teach God. They teach medicine, 21st century osteopathic medicine with high-technology, so I think that speaks for itself

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you know what the rotations are going to be like?

If they get an 8+ in BS, they most likely will do fine.... The other sections have very low correlation with step1. In fact, even the BS section does not have a strong correlation with step1.

Last edited:
I just hope students realize what they are getting into by going to LUCOM. I attended an extremely christian college that had the exact same set of rules/code of conduct as LUCOM, and I can tell you right now that they will absolutely hold their med students to the code ESPECIALLY if they deem you a liberal or atheist sympathizer. I don't really care what they teach over there, but I highly suggest not attending this school unless you have the exact same political and religious views. I guarantee as the school gets a little time under its belt, we will see a lot of med students getting kicked out for violating drinking, smoking, curfew rules, whatever. Just do NOT kid yourself about the code of conduct and do not attend this school if you have conflicting views. That's my 2 cents.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow.. That person who got into University of Kansas took the MCAT 5 times! If some DO schools have 24-25 average MCAT score, I don't think it is a big deal if someone got in with 22...

Last edited:
I just hope students realize what they are getting into by going to LUCOM. I attended an extremely christian college that had the exact same set of rules/code of conduct as LUCOM, and I can tell you right now that they will absolutely hold their med students to the code ESPECIALLY if they deem you a liberal or atheist sympathizer. I don't really care what they teach over there, but I highly suggest not attending this school unless you have the exact same political and religious views. I guarantee as the school gets a little time under its belt, we will see a lot of med students getting kicked out for violating drinking, smoking, curfew rules, whatever. Just do NOT kid yourself about the code of conduct and do not attend this school if you have conflicting views. That's my 2 cents.

my ex-girlfriend attended a school like this and was basically forced out for being gay.

my ex-girlfriend attended a school like this and was basically forced out for being gay.

Exactly. Just because they "don't hold the med students to the code" doesn't mean they don't still reserve the right to basically kick you out for literally anything. I'm sorry your ex had to go through that. You basically need to be a christian white male republican creationist to fit in. I mean jeez, just take one look at that picture on the article :vomit:

What school was this? This is criminal.

Private schools without a sexual orientation clause can do what they want. Hell they don't even want their ****ty fake insurance covering birth control.

Private schools without a sexual orientation clause can do what they want. Hell they don't even want their ****** fake insurance covering birth control.

Exactly.

She was deeply religious and wanted to go to a school that filled her daily quota of jesus or whatever. It's in their code of conduct that you can't be gay so....

EDIT: I looked up their code of conduct

The Bible also identifies character qualities and actions that should not be present in the lives of believers. For example: destructive anger, malice, rage, sexual immorality, impurity, adultery, evil desires, greed, idolatry, slander, profanity, lying, homosexual behavior, drunkenness, thievery, and dishonesty
We believe that sexual intercourse and other forms of intensely interpersonal sexual activity are reserved for monogamous, heterosexual marriage. We recognize that sexual purity involves right motives as well as right behaviors.
As we join the Bethel community we accept these responsibilities and conditions of membership. We agree to live according to this document and other stated expectations as they are applied to us in the student and employee handbooks. If we find ourselves unable to honor these commitments, withdrawal may be in order. We recognize that we have an obligation to hold each other accountable to biblical standards and to the commitments we have made. Appropriate action will be taken to teach, influence, discipline, or even dismiss those who disregard these community expectations. We will strive to have all disciplinary procedures characterized by Christian love and a redemptive spirit.

Last edited:
I have to admit, it does seem a little strange to read these these opinions on Liberty University and how they will treat students and teach this and that. Personally, when I went to the school for an interview and met the faculty, I did not sense this role of harsh judgement or forced beliefs. I have seen more judgement and hasty generalizations by the SDN pre-meds, directed toward the students deciding that Liberty is a good fit for them. Some people on this thread even go into the Liberty school specific thread just to try to engage confrontation and make people deciding to go there feel bad. As an older, non-trad, U.S. Army veteran with good stats, I was just looking into programs where I believe I personally will receive the education I was looking for, from educators that are excited and passionate. I have a gut feeling that this is the place for me, so I am going to go with it. I also enjoyed the community and surrounding areas, everyone was quite pleasant. Are there people that make Liberty look bad? Of course. There are certain individuals in various types of communities that make others look bad. I just wish we could all be happy for each other, as we will all one day be colleagues. I for one will do my best to make Liberty, as well as myself, look good in the future. I wish you all the best on your future endeavors and for a successful 1st year.

@Donkk
I have to admit I find your fervent defense of Liberty quite entertaining given your avatar.

This underdawg list is very encouraging, but perhaps a tad misleading since respective ECs are not addressed. I'd expect some of the applicants from the lower end of the spectrum to have stellar life experiences, or am I terribly mistaken?

This underdawg list is very encouraging, but perhaps a tad misleading since respective ECs are not addressed. I'd expect some of the applicants from the lower end of the spectrum to have stellar life experiences, or am I terribly mistaken?

It can be assumed as such. A remarkable amount of ECs can be undoubtedly a major boost to an applicant.

was browsing through the LUCOM thread and it looks like someone with 20 MCAT received ii there!

was browsing through the LUCOM thread and it looks like someone with 20 MCAT received ii there!

Can we say 40% first time comlex pass rate for entering class....

22 is crap. Wasn't MUCOM s like 26?
That is what people say... No one has seen it published anywhere; therefore, I don't put too much stock on it. My guess is that it should be somewhere 24-25... Every school tries to pad their stats... I also think LUCOM will be somewhere in 23-24 MCAT.

Last edited:

Highlighting this applicant's ECs was a research publication elucidating the cohabitation of the Homo sapien and Velociraptor in the year 2500-2000 B.C.

Reactions: 6 users

I hope they a least had a high gpa

I wish these schools wouldn't set their bar so low.

young generations college kids are so clueless and obnoxious sometimes. Probably 50% of LUCOM entering class are non-trads and not looking for partying, drinking all night, or breaking the law. They are serious about learning and making differences. Of course, we know about the code of conduct of LUCOM

Haha wowzers

young generations college kids are so clueless and obnoxious sometimes. Probably 50% of LUCOM entering class are non-trads and not looking for partying, drinking all night, or breaking the law. They are serious about learning and making differences. Of course, we know about the code of conduct of LUCOM
Yes, medical school has the reputation of being for all night drinkers and law breakers... smh

Reactions: 1 user