*The Official Osteopathic Underdawgs Thread 2021-22*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond! Users who have below average composite (500, or <500) or individual MCAT scores (<125), low sGPA/cGPA stats, or other things they consider a weakness in their application are welcome to post in this thread. No one is barred from posting in here, but please evaluate your application to see if you consider yourself an "underdawg" in this current application cycle. I hope this thread helps people connect with each other and share feedback!

Based on the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500, we consider 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500, or individual scores below 125 could be considered "underdawg" range. However, this is hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates.

*FORMAT FOR POSTING IN THIS THREAD*

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

Previous Underdawgs threads:
2020-21 Underdawgs Thread
2019-20 Underdawgs Thread
2018-19 Underdawgs Thread
2017-18 Underdawgs Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

Do or Die Trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 0 II/ 0 R

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Reactions: 1 user
C'mon, where my underdawgs at?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
5) Click "Post Reply"

dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 / 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, ABA behavioral tech 2 yr

5) Click "Post Reply"

dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 / 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, ABA behavioral tech 2 yr
Savy1102 cGPA 3.21/ sGPA 3.03/ MCAT 504/ verified 6/22/ 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ pbGPA 3.80, 4000+ hours clinical work, 2 years research experience

5) Click "Post Reply"

Savy1102 cGPA 3.21/ sGPA 3.03/ MCAT 504/ verified 6/22/ 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ pbGPA 3.80, 4000+ hours clinical work, 2 years research experience
ThePACK cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.4/ MCAT 514/ verified 6/2/ 3 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ 60-credit pbGPA 3.9, research w/pub, 2500 hours paid clinical

Last edited:
Prior underdawg here, current 4th year DO student. Best of luck to everyone!

A word of advice- PLEASE realize that some of the newer schools are a combination of for-profit, exceptionally poorly resourced, and/or poorly setup for clinical rotations. If you are willing to attend any DO school, I promise you're in for a bad time as some of them simply aren't worth attending. In some scenarios it is smarter to strengthen your app across 1-2 cycles and re-apply to stronger programs. I took several years from undergrad to strengthen my app, and only applied once. Medicine is a marathon.

That's not to discourage anyone from pursuing medicine. For all the American medical system faults, I am so happy doing this. But if I knew I had to go through 4 years of terrible support, frustrating counterproductive tasks (I took a break from one to write this), glorified shadowing in lieu of more participatory/educational rotations, and no alumni/GME network for residency placement support, I'd think twice. That setup has made many a miserable physician emerge from DO schools unmatched, fallen down on their residency rank lists, or in specialties they don't like.

Prior underdawg here, current 4th year DO student. Best of luck to everyone!

A word of advice- PLEASE realize that some of the newer schools are a combination of for-profit, exceptionally poorly resourced, and/or poorly setup for clinical rotations. If you are willing to attend any DO school, I promise you're in for a bad time as some of them simply aren't worth attending. In some scenarios it is smarter to strengthen your app across 1-2 cycles and re-apply to stronger programs. I took several years from undergrad to strengthen my app, and only applied once. Medicine is a marathon.

That's not to discourage anyone from pursuing medicine. For all the American medical system faults, I am so happy doing this. But if I knew I had to go through 4 years of terrible support, frustrating counterproductive tasks (I took a break from one to write this), glorified shadowing in lieu of more participatory/educational rotations, and no alumni/GME network for residency placement support, I'd think twice. That setup has made many a miserable physician emerge from DO schools unmatched, fallen down on their residency rank lists, or in specialties they don't like.
I have heard these comments before. I am curious as to what kind of support one should expect from their school? I ask because I'm truly interested in what our school should be providing what others already are. My wife went to a big east coast uni, and they didn't do anything to assist her in securing a residency. Outside of LORs, my school did nothing to aid my residency quest. I applied for a PGY2 spot as I had to do a DO pg1. I'm guessing you refer to no one being available to pick up the phone and call someone on your behalf as no gme/ alumni network? In any event, matching your top choices is a very different game now. Understanding the game is paramount to success in any aspect of med ed, from doing Post Bac to matching a fellowship. If you have suggestions I can pass along I be interested in hearing them.

I have heard these comments before. I am curious as to what kind of support one should expect from their school? I ask because I'm truly interested in what our school should be providing what others already are. My wife went to a big east coast uni, and they didn't do anything to assist her in securing a residency. Outside of LORs, my school did nothing to aid my residency quest. I applied for a PGY2 spot as I had to do a DO pg1. I'm guessing you refer to no one being available to pick up the phone and call someone on your behalf as no gme/ alumni network? In any event, matching your top choices is a very different game now. Understanding the game is paramount to success in any aspect of med ed, from doing Post Bac to matching a fellowship. If you have suggestions I can pass along I be interested in hearing them.

Many forms of support that should be considered the bare minimum are substantial. Some COMs likely should not exist- that's a core issue. They don't give most of their med students a solid chance at a healthy range of residencies or future fellowships. Further still, some are so backwards with their board prep (for 1 and 2) that they actively encourage their students to shoot themselves in the foot. I was given step 2 material to review in my short step 1 "dedicated" which was mandatory to read.

1. Robust research at the school or connection to an institution that has research. Many specialties/institutions with decent fellowship pipelines like applicants with research. If students want to participate in a broad array of research projects, they should be able to use their school as a resource to help find it.
2. Some semblance of a GME network to have a home institution, communication with recent residency applicants, a safety net, more meaningful LORs, better med student rotations ("better" in the sense that they get you used to your role in the hierarchy, not student learning)
3. Board prep support- recognizing that these are currently the most important predictors of residency placement, so giving appropriate board prep materials and 100% dedicated time for students to study for these exams and nothing else (my COM has a dedicated rife with absolutely useless bloat).
4. Having faculty that will make that phone call you allude to. Of course this should be present, in a college of medicine, ideally full of doctors that have done residency.
5. Recognizing you're teaching adult learners- I could be wrong but I would guess that proportionally, mandatory lecture is more common at DO schools. This is terrible for adult learners.
6. Slightly unrelated but I only include this because I think it's maybe the only change you could realistically make happen as a faculty- ensure a truly anonymous complaint/grievance system at your COM. If I am reporting, as my identified self, a complaint to people that can ruin my career (if they don't like my complaint), I am not going to report. I don't think every COM has a truly anonymous reporting system in place.

Of course being a go-getter with grit is going to trump most anything. Part of a COM's responsibility is assisting all of their graduates obtain residencies that are acceptable to them. I think many COMs are often counterproductive in their counseling to help students understand the game, and having residency programs helps combat this.

I would choose my school again in a heartbeat and I love medical school and getting to pursue this. But I think it is important to consider the effect that greed has in the way systems are setup. My COM has lots of money but has thrown it towards expansion more than support of existing infrastructure.

Last edited:
Many forms of support that should be considered the bare minimum are substantial. Some COMs likely should not exist- that's a core issue. They don't give most of their med students a solid chance at a healthy range of residencies or future fellowships. Further still, some are so backwards with their board prep (for 1 and 2) that they actively encourage their students to shoot themselves in the foot. I was given step 2 material to review in my short step 1 "dedicated" which was mandatory to read.

1. Robust research at the school or connection to an institution that has research. Many specialties/institutions with decent fellowship pipelines like applicants with research. If students want to participate in a broad array of research projects, they should be able to use their school as a resource to help find it.
2. Some semblance of a GME network to have a home institution, communication with recent residency applicants, a safety net, more meaningful LORs, better med student rotations ("better" in the sense that they get you used to your role in the hierarchy, not student learning)
3. Board prep support- recognizing that these are currently the most important predictors of residency placement, so giving appropriate board prep materials and 100% dedicated time for students to study for these exams and nothing else (my COM has a dedicated rife with absolutely useless bloat).
4. Having faculty that will make that phone call you allude to. Of course this should be present, in a college of medicine, ideally full of doctors that have done residency.
5. Recognizing you're teaching adult learners- I could be wrong but I would guess that proportionally, mandatory lecture is more common at DO schools. This is terrible for adult learners.
6. Slightly unrelated but I only include this because I think it's maybe the only change you could realistically make happen as a faculty- ensure a truly anonymous complaint/grievance system at your COM. If I am reporting, as my identified self, a complaint to people that can ruin my career (if they don't like my complaint), I am not going to report. I don't think every COM has a truly anonymous reporting system in place.

Of course being a go-getter with grit is going to trump most anything. Part of a COM's responsibility is assisting all of their graduates obtain residencies that are acceptable to them. I think many COMs are often counterproductive in their counseling to help students understand the game, and having residency programs helps combat this.

I would choose my school again in a heartbeat and I love medical school and getting to pursue this. But I think it is important to consider the effect that greed has in the way systems are setup. My COM has lots of money but has thrown it towards expansion more than support of existing infrastructure.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to relate your valid points. I realize how many irons you have in the fire at this time and recognize free time is at a premium. I will relate this to my superiors. Sadly, many newer schools are not up to speed with the points you make. I have called PDs for students I have written LORs and also sent additional letters and emails. I also agree we need to reevaluated med ed. So many resources are available online and are excellent. Faculty at the least should provide links for these resources. Student feedback should be anonymous. Totally agree. If a student is the issue, we know very early on. Thanks for providing your personal insight. Good luck and best wishes!

5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 0 II/ 2 R
ThePACK cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.4/ MCAT 514/ verified 6/2/ 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ 60-credit pbGPA 3.9, research w/pub, 2500 hours paid clinical

Last edited:
5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 0 II/ 2 R
dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 / 1 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work
ThePACK cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.4/ MCAT 514/ verified 6/2/ 0 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ 60-credit pbGPA 3.9, research w/pub, 2500 hours paid clinical

Members don't see this ad :)
5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 0 II/ 5 R
dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 / 1 II/ 0 A/ 0 R/ *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work

5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 0 II/ 5 R
dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 | 1 II | 0 A | 1 R | *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work

5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 2 II/ 5 R
dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 | 1 II | 0 A | 1 R | *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work

5) Click "Post Reply"

dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 | 2 II | 0 A | 1 R | *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work

5) Click "Post Reply"

dr.batman cGPA 3.86/ sGPA 3.8/ MCAT 496/ verified 6/04 | 2 II | 0 A | 1 R | *Non-trad MS gpa 4.0, 2yrs ABA behavioral tech work
Shaggy_ cGPA 3.4/ sGPA 3.6/ MCAT 498/ verified 6/17/ 4 II/ 0 A/ 2 R

5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 2 II/ 5 R/ 1 A

Just like @Cath Up I am also a prior underdawg (Im only an OMS-1) however I wanted to stop by and say good-luck to everyone because I know how daunting this process can be. Furthermore, congratulations to each and everyone of you for making it this far.

@Cath Up made some viable points about going to some of the new DO schools. However I want to add that if you are a real go getter and are self disciplined you can find your own research opportunities with surrounding institutions. Granted you should not have to do this but it is the name of the game.

Again, good-luck!

5) Click "Post Reply"

DO or die trying cGPA 3.33/ sGPA 3.09/ 509 MCAT/ verfied 5/20/ 2 II/ 5 R/ 2 A

Reactions: 4 users

5) Click "Post Reply"

shotgunlagoon cGPA 3.43/ sGPA 3.23/ MCAT 518/ verified 9/3 | 0 II | 0 A | 0 R | MA in biology, graduate GPA 3.73, 3 years research with publication

5) Click "Post Reply"

Shaggy_ cGPA 3.4/ sGPA 3.6/ MCAT 498/ verified 6/17/ 4 II/ 1 A/ 2 R
shotgunlagoon cGPA 3.43/ sGPA 3.23/ MCAT 518/ verified 9/3 | 0 II | 0 A | 0 R | MA in biology, graduate GPA 3.73, 3 years research with publication

Reactions: 2 users

5) Click "Post Reply"

Ayyyyy congrats on the first acceptance Shaggy!! :D

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

5) Click "Post Reply"

Sonderist cGPA 3.31/ sGPA 3.31/ MCAT 510/ verified 6/26 | 0 II | 0 A | 0 R | 6500 hrs paid clinical work, research w/2+ pub

5) Click "Post Reply"

Sonderist cGPA 3.31/ sGPA 3.31/ MCAT 510/ verified 6/26 | 0 II | 0 A | 0 R | 6500 hrs paid clinical work, research w/2+ pub
ellaeive cGPA 3.22/ sGPA 3.18/ MCAT 513 / verified 7/1 / 1 II / 1A / 3 R / 45 credit pbsGPA 3.5 / 4 publicaions / 2000 paid clinical hours

Last edited:
@ellaevie I see that 1 A!!!! congrats!!!!!!!!! is it one of your top choices?
thanks!!!! definitely surreal!! it is not my top choice but definitely not my last choice!! my top choice was the only in-state program my state has, and i actually got rejected from that school after i posted so i need to to update my stats 😂😂. honestly kind of glad the R came early-ish from there so i can really get pumped about this A and start planning!!

5) Click "Post Reply"

ellaeive cGPA 3.22/ sGPA 3.18/ MCAT 513 / verified 7/1 / 1 II / 1A / 3 R / 45 credit pbsGPA 3.5 / 4 publicaions / 2000 paid clinical hours
WeAreDOoMD cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.1 / grad GPA 4.0 / MCAT 503 / verified 7/14 | 3 II | 0 A | 1 post-II WL | 2 pre-II WL | 2 pre-II R

5) Click "Post Reply"

WeAreDOoMD cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.1 / grad GPA 4.0 / MCAT 503 / verified 7/14 | 3 II | 0 A | 1 post-II WL | 2 pre-II WL | 2 pre-II R
Simsamb2021 cGPA 3.28/ sGPA 3.08 / grad GPA 3.91 / MCAT 502 / verified 6/04 | 1 II | 1 A | 0 R / 19 credit pbGPA- 3.78 2 clinical intervention inventions/ research/ 7 years healthcare experience

5) Click "Post Reply"

AJellyFish: cGPA: 3.7 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ sGPA: 3.16 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ MCAT 506/ 2,000+ Clinical Hours/ verified 6/11 / 2 II / 1 A / 1 Pre- secondary R / 1 post-secondary R / 2 pre secondary holds/ 2 pre-II holds
Simsamb2021 cGPA 3.28/ sGPA 3.08 / grad GPA 3.91 / MCAT 502 / verified 6/04 | 1 II | 1 A | 0 R / 19 credit pbGPA- 3.78 2 clinical intervention inventions/ research/ 7 years healthcare experience

Last edited:

5) Click "Post Reply"

AJellyFish: cGPA: 3.7 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ sGPA: 3.16 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ MCAT 506/ 2,000+ Clinical Hours/ verified 6/11 / 2 II / 1 A / 1 Pre- secondary R / 1 post-secondary R / 2 pre secondary holds/ 2 pre-II holds
Shaggy_ cGPA 3.4/ sGPA 3.6/ MCAT 498/ verified 6/17/ 6 II/ 1 A/ 2 R

5) Click "Post Reply"

AJellyFish: cGPA: 3.7 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ sGPA: 3.16 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ MCAT 506/ 2,000+ Clinical Hours/ verified 6/11 / 2 II / 1 A / 1 Pre- secondary R / 2 post-secondary R / 2 pre secondary holds/ 2 pre-II holds

5) Click "Post Reply"

AJellyFish: cGPA: 3.7 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ sGPA: 3.16 (factoring 3.9 postbacc GPA)/ MCAT 506/ 2,000+ Clinical Hours/ verified 6/11 / 2 II / 1 A / 1 Pre- secondary R / 2 post-secondary R / 2 pre secondary holds/ 2 pre-II holds
WeAreDOoMD cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.1 / grad GPA 4.0 / MCAT 503 / verified 7/14 | 5 II | 1 A (you only need one baby) | 3 post-II WL | 2 pre-II WL | too many to count pre-II R

Last edited:
  • Love
Older underdawg here - sGPA was <3 and cGPA around 3.3, MCAT 50%ile, I think. One DO school gave me a chance, then it was lights out

matched into an MD dominated field, have published in a few high impact journals as first author (IF>30) as a resident, received awards, worked with leaders in my field, etc. Use peoples doubt of your worth and your history of failure to remind you to never let off the accelerator.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Older underdawg here - sGPA was
matched into an MD dominated field, have published in a few high impact journals as first author (IF>30) as a resident, received awards, worked with leaders in my field, etc. Use peoples doubt of your worth and your history of failure to remind you to never let off the accelerator.
Can you mention which DO school

5) Click "Post Reply"

HannahSparkle cGPA 2.3/ sGPA 2.7 / SMP GPA 4.0 / 519 MCAT / verified early August / 0 II / 0 A / 4 R
WeAreDOoMD cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.1 / grad GPA 4.0 / MCAT 503 / verified 7/14 | 4 II | 1 A (you only need one baby) | 1 post-II WL | 2 pre-II WL | 2 pre-II R

Last edited:

5) Click "Post Reply"

HannahSparkle cGPA 2.3/ sGPA 2.7 / SMP GPA 4.0 / 519 MCAT / verified early August / 0 II / 0 A / 4 R
Shaggy_ cGPA 3.4/ sGPA 3.6/ MCAT 498/ verified 6/17/ 6 II/ 2 A/ 3 R/ 1 WL
WeAreDOoMD cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 3.1 / grad GPA 4.0 / MCAT 503 / verified 7/14 | 4 II | 1 A (you only need one baby) | 1 post-II WL | 2 pre-II WL | 2 pre-II R

5) Click "Post Reply"

Shaggy_ cGPA 3.4/ sGPA 3.6/ MCAT 498/ verified 6/17/ 6 II/ 3 A/ 3 R/ 2 WL

5) Click "Post Reply"

Way to go Shaggy, congrats on another acceptance!!! Would you mind if I DM you? I have the same GPAs

5) Click "Post Reply"

HannahSparkle cGPA 2.3/ sGPA 2.7 / SMP GPA 4.0 / 519 MCAT / verified early August / 1 II / 0 A / 4 R

5) Click "Post Reply"

HannahSparkle cGPA 2.3/ sGPA 2.7 / SMP GPA 4.0 / 519 MCAT / verified early August / 1 II / 0 A / 4 R
Orthohopeful33! | 3.37 cGPA | 3.3 sGPA | 498 MCAT | Verified 7/28 | 0 II | 0 A | 2 Pre-II R | 0 WL | 1000+ DO shadow 3000+ paid clinical

5) Click "Post Reply"

Orthohopeful33! | 3.37 cGPA | 3.3 sGPA | 498 MCAT | Verified 7/28 | 0 II | 0 A | 2 Pre-II R | 0 WL | 1000+ DO shadow 3000+ paid clinical
Simsamb2021 cGPA 3.28/ sGPA 3.08 / grad GPA 3.91 / MCAT 502 / verified 6/04 | 2 II | 1 A | 0 R / 19 credit pbGPA- 3.78 2 clinical intervention inventions/ research/ 7 years healthcare experience

Hello everyone! Can someone explain what this section is for? Is it to provide onlooking underdawgs some insight as to what they may expect if they have similar stats?