2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted! Such a strange feeling!

Members don't see this ad.

I think "outside the classroom" refers to academics (classwork/MCATs/maybe research?). Being a teacher is completely different, and can definitely work. I'm doing something similar and writing about my time as a UTA and how it helped my overcome my introvertedness.

I think being a teacher would be a wonderful activity to include here. I guess my old definition of "outside the classroom" doesn't really work in this case. lol

Great! Thanks you two!

The way that 'diversity' secondary question is framed is a pain. I'm not sure I can consider my background diverse, and I haven't faced any significant identity challenges, but I've certainly done some diverse experiences ... not sure those would count here though. Argh, and this is one of the easier secondaries, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted!

GW has one of the largest application fees of any school on my list; I was very pleasantly surprised to see they waived it for military. $125 back in my pocket!

What are you guys' statuses? My AMCAS is verified, but the GW website says this:
"We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue."

What are you guys' statuses? My AMCAS is verified, but the GW website says this:
"We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue."

Same. Everyone's says that. GW says to expect an update tomorrow (7/1)

weird...my amcas is verified on 6/25. and I just submitted my GW secondary application. Yet, the status says my AMCAS primary is unverified on the GW status page. Anyone has this problem?

weird...my amcas is verified on 6/25. and I just submitted my GW secondary application. Yet, the status says my AMCAS primary is unverified on the GW status page. Anyone has this problem?

Read the thread.

What does it say for your application status for those of you that submitted?

Here is what it says for me:

We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue.

Is it unverified because of the AMCAS not releasing everything yet? Or am I the only one with this status?

EDIT: Found the answer earlier in the thread. Here it is:

Originally Posted by hvairline

From their facebook page:

Just a quick note to those that have already submitted their secondary applications. We have yet to receive full information from AMCAS regarding your records and for now you will all have a status of "unverified".

We should be receiving more fulsome information on Monday (7/1), so you should be able to see an updated status then! Thanks! We appreciate your interest in GW!

:thumbup:

Complete now.
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I am a bit disconcerted that GW sent me a secondary before they could even look over my AMCAS App. Other than it's location, is there anything extraordinary about GW? Not to sound like I am too good for anything (I will be grateful for where ever I get accepted), I'm just worried that this school is more of a money guzzler than anything else :confused:

Okay, so I am a bit disconcerted that GW sent me a secondary before they could even look over my AMCAS App. Other than it's location, is there anything extraordinary about GW? Not to sound like I am too good for anything (I will be grateful for where ever I get accepted), I'm just worried that this school is more of a money guzzler than anything else :confused:

True for most schools. There are very few schools that screen before handing out secondaries and the ones that screen have very low criteries (<3.0 <26). They will all send you a secondary just to get the money.

With that being said, GW is one of the most expensive secondaries ($125).

True for most schools. There are very few schools that screen before handing out secondaries and the ones that screen have very low criteries (<3.0 <26). They will all send you a secondary just to get the money.

With that being said, GW is one of the most expensive secondaries ($125).
I was excited about the programs they have for you to be involved in health policy (you can look at their website about the track programs). That's definitely a plus for me.

Just wondering, how do you feel about using abbreviations for the school name in secondary essays?
I used GW to replace the school name in my essay (not submitted yet), but I'm not sure if that's acceptable in the eyes of adcoms.

If anyone could advise I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Just wondering, how do you feel about using abbreviations for the school name in secondary essays?
I used GW to replace the school name in my essay (not submitted yet), but I'm not sure if that's acceptable in the eyes of adcoms.

I think I used it in the diversity essay to give me some more room. I did not use it in the school specific essay.

Does anyone know what percentage of their accepted class is in-state/out-of-state?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if GW sends out there secondary in batches? I have yet to receive a secondary from this or any other school and my primary was already verified.

Does anyone know if GW sends out there secondary in batches? I have yet to receive a secondary from this or any other school and my primary was already verified.
I'm wondering if it may be alphabetical? I received one (not verified) and my last name starts with a letter in the first few of the alphabet. How about others?

My last name is at the end of the alphabet, and my application wasn't verified yet... But I received the secondary app.

I don't know how or why schools are secondaries when our application hasn't even been verified yet... These fees are going to add up so fast!

I've heard they send secondaries to everyone that applies..that's weird because I got a secondary and I'm not even verified yet

So is the GW secondary fee completely waived if you have FAP?

Heres my quandry. If i were to submit now will GW actually look at it or will they wait until they receive my primary application. AMCAS still hasn't verified me yet.

I went with list format for these types of questions because it just seemed more efficient to me. But honestly there's no right or wrong, whatever feels natural for you then go for it.

I also think it depends on how many things you're doing. If you're doing 5 activities during the year then yea, a list might be better. But if you're concentrating on 1 or 2 full-time jobs that are taking up all your time, then paragraphs may be better to let them know what you'll be doing.

Heres my quandry. If i were to submit now will GW actually look at it or will they wait until they receive my primary application. AMCAS still hasn't verified me yet.

I have this same question. Just turned in my app last Friday so I doubt AMCAS has even looked at my app, much less get verified. Hope someone else can give more insight.

I have this same question. Just turned in my app last Friday so I doubt AMCAS has even looked at my app, much less get verified. Hope someone else can give more insight.

Since GW doesnt screen before sending secondaries, the first time they will look at your application is once everything is in and all together: your primary, your secondary, your last planned MCAT score, and your letters of rec. They wont look at your file to assess you for an interview invite or what not until they have all of these components, so might as well spend time perfecting your secondaries while you wait to get verified in my opinion :)

Awesome great advice!
Since GW doesnt screen before sending secondaries, the first time they will look at your application is once everything is in and all together: your primary, your secondary, your last planned MCAT score, and your letters of rec. They wont look at your file to assess you for an interview invite or what not until they have all of these components, so might as well spend time perfecting your secondaries while you wait to get verified in my opinion :)

I was worried I hadn't received my secondary yet...it was in my junk mail :smack:

now to complete it!

I feel that if the prompt says "GW", then we're probably safe to say "GW" rather than George Washington.

Quick question about the secondary essay prompts:

For the essays on "your most significant achievement outside the classroom" and "what makes you unique as an individual" -- should we include experiences that we have not extensively explored in our PS or AMCAS "most meaningful experience" entries? I want to put down an experience that I already wrote about for one of my "most meaningful experiences" but I don't want it to be overkill if its already mentioned elsewhere in the app? Anybody have advice on this?

Thanks!

For the essays on "your most significant achievement outside the classroom" and "what makes you unique as an individual" -- should we include experiences that we have not extensively explored in our PS or AMCAS "most meaningful experience" entries? I want to put down an experience that I already wrote about for one of my "most meaningful experiences" but I don't want it to be overkill if its already mentioned elsewhere in the app? Anybody have advice on this?

Thanks!

I wrote about one of my most meaningful experiences for that essay. However, its an ongoing activity, so I used the essay to update whats been going on since I submitted my AMCAS. If it truly is most significant, I'd go for it but just try to elaborate on it in different ways than you did when talking about it in the AMCAS most meaningful entry.

Does this mean I was screened out or going to be rejected?:

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

Does this mean I was screened out or going to be rejected?:

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

You're on hold already?

Meh, my school wont even submit my letters for another four weeks or so. Anyway, just submitted!

I guess so. idk how though. have a 4.0 in a molecular bio major and a 30 mcat. I also had a lot of extracurricular

Thanks!

i was planning on using this space to address a 4th meaningful experience that I couldn't highlight on AMCAS. i was told by my advisors to really avoid repeating information on your primary and secondary unless there was absolutely something that needed to be addressed. that said, i'm sure there are multiple ways to go about this prompt..Just my 2c.

I guess so. idk how though. have a 4.0 in a molecular bio major and a 30 mcat. I also had a lot of extracurricular

Well according to last year's thread, an 'on-hold' status doesn't mean you've been rejected at all. There were tons of status updates according to last year's thread. With a 4.0 and a 30 you look really good for GW.

First secondary in!! Now if only AMCAS would get it together.

Great, thanks for responding!

Sigh.... on hold... I realize it doesn't mean a whole lot from last year's thread, but it's still a bit disheartening with my stats being reasonably above what their class is comprised of..

Sigh.... on hold... I realize it doesn't mean a whole lot from last year's thread, but it's still a bit disheartening with my stats being reasonably above what their class is comprised of..

Do you go from being "Complete" to "On Hold"? Or is there a step in between?

Do you go from being "Complete" to "On Hold"? Or is there a step in between?

I went from complete either yesterday or this morning to on hold some time this afternoon as well.