2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
136725105917.png
ha
I see your point, but you are exaggerating there lol.

Maybe a little but I don't know, drivers are pretty terrible nowadays.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I don't have grades verified or an MCAT score yet, which I guess means that everyone who applies gets a secondary. At $125 a pop and >11,000 applications/year, GW will be making over $1,375,000 off of us, just on secondaries, knowing that only 5% or so will be accepted. That makes me not even want to submit one...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, for the 1st secondary question that asks ur plans for 2013-2014, do you guys talk about all the activities, including the planned activities on it or just those activities that you know for sure that you will be doing?

hey guys, for the 1st secondary question that asks ur plans for 2013-2014, do you guys talk about all the activities, including the planned activities on it or just those activities that you know for sure that you will be doing?

I'm including planned activities. I mean they do ask you to tell them what they're doing for the next year, I think it's understood that maybe not everything we think we'll be doing will happen and that new opportunities we didn't foresee will arise, so it's not 100% certain.

How are you guys approaching the third question (What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW?)..? I can think of uniqueness and I can think of challenges, but I'm not sure I can link them together coherently, especially in 1000 characters. :confused:

curious, does it still say unverified for you? or did you get that fixed

From their facebook page:

Just a quick note to those that have already submitted their secondary applications. We have yet to receive full information from AMCAS regarding your records and for now you will all have a status of "unverified".

We should be receiving more fulsome information on Monday (7/1), so you should be able to see an updated status then! Thanks! We appreciate your interest in GW!

Just a quick note to those that have already submitted their secondary applications. We have yet to receive full information from AMCAS regarding your records and for now you will all have a status of "unverified".

We should be receiving more fulsome information on Monday (7/1), so you should be able to see an updated status then! Thanks! We appreciate your interest in GW!

Sweet, thanks for that.

thanks!

Hi Everyone. Another question about the first secondary question (full time activities). How many do most people have? As a full time student, I definitely don't have a full time job during the school year, and most extracurricular activities aren't "full time" (30-40 hrs/week). Are you all mostly including summer jobs, full time summer volunteering, etc? I am splitting my summer between work and research, so neither will be full time... Should I just list being a full time student, or can I somehow describe the combination?

Just submitted! Such a scary feeling!

Hi Everyone. Another question about the first secondary question (full time activities). How many do most people have? As a full time student, I definitely don't have a full time job during the school year, and most extracurricular activities aren't "full time" (30-40 hrs/week). Are you all mostly including summer jobs, full time summer volunteering, etc? I am splitting my summer between work and research, so neither will be full time... Should I just list being a full time student, or can I somehow describe the combination?

My interpretation was that all your activities together should account for full time activity. So i listed everything I was planning to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received a secondary but I am not verified yet. Can I still submit ?

Hey guys... This might be over-thinking, but for the "diversity" question... Do you they want an essay that integrates uniqueness AND challenge to contribute to diversity or do you think they just mentioned both as a guideline for writing the essay?

Hey guys... This might be over-thinking, but for the "diversity" question... Do you they want an essay that integrates uniqueness AND challenge to contribute to diversity or do you think they just mentioned both as a guideline for writing the essay?

I talked about how I overcame a challenge in one paragraph and then I devoted another two paragraphs to explaining how I was "diverse."

Does everyone who applied to GW get the secondary? Or do they screen

Reactions: 1 user
Does everyone who applied to GW get the secondary? Or do they screen
On the "welcome" page for the secondary app, they mention that they do not screen.

"Please note that GW does not screen on the basis of the AMCAS application. We invite all applicants who submit an AMCAS application to GW to complete the secondary application and submit letters of recommendation so that we may review the entire file."

My first secondary! Man, I shouldda started prewriting. I haven't even started my first essay and I am already tired of writing. This is going to be a long process. :D

Good luck y'all :luck:

I have been scouring the 12-13 GW thread for perspectives of current students on GW, but I haven't been able to find much. I am looking for general info, like their overall view of the school, what drew them to the school, competitiveness, how they like the curriculum, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I talked about how I overcame a challenge in one paragraph and then I devoted another two paragraphs to explaining how I was "diverse."

How the heck did you make so many paragraphs? The 1000 character limit is really restricting me to one paragraph.

Does "outside of the classroom" include full-time academic research?

Does "outside of the classroom" include full-time academic research?

Yes. I talked about my current lab fellowship in that section. My belief is that if you are not sitting in a lecture hall, or sitting at a desk in a classroom, it should qualify as "outside the classroom. ":)

My paragraphs for this prompt are pretty small.

1000 characters? I'd have trouble squeezing out more than a single succinct paragraph, much less three ... That's ... Power to you.

1000 characters? I'd have trouble squeezing out more than a single succinct paragraph, much less three ... That's ... Power to you.

On second thought maybe I should combine my tiny paragraphs to make larger paragraphs.

My first secondary! Man, I shouldda started prewriting. I haven't even started my first essay and I am already tired of writing. This is going to be a long process. :D

Good luck y'all :luck:

My thoughts exactly, :p. Good luck to you too!

Yes. I talked about my current lab fellowship in that section. My belief is that if you are not sitting in a lecture hall, or sitting at a desk in a classroom, it should qualify as "outside the classroom. ":)

I was considering teaching. It really put me out of my comfort zone at first because I used to be shy. However, I've been lucky enough to get some glowing reviews that I never would have expected possible years ago. But then I realized that teaching is still inside of a classroom, even if I'm not the student, right? I have other ideas too, but thoughts?

Haha. There is a reason we are going to medical school and not PhD's in English.

For our "biggest achievement".. is it okay if we already discussed it as one of our 3 most meaningful in our AMCAS primary? Is it okay to still write about it, just present it in a different aspect?

I really should've thought this through.. now it seems im going to be repeating myself, since my best secondary material is in my "3 most meaningful" activities.

Haha. There is a reason we are going to medical school and not PhD's in English.

And yet, for some reason, I seriously don't imagine the applications for English doctorate programs being so vague and flowery, lol.

So for the "greatest achievement" questions, is it OK to mention something that was listed as an activity in my primary application?

So for the "greatest achievement" questions, is it OK to mention something that was listed as an activity in my primary application?

Personally, I think so. I mean, if it's your GREATEST achievement, it'd almost be weird if it wasn't mentioned elsewhere. (Unless done earlier in life.)

I was considering teaching. It really put me out of my comfort zone at first because I used to be shy. However, I've been lucky enough to get some glowing reviews that I never would have expected possible years ago. But then I realized that teaching is still inside of a classroom, even if I'm not the student, right? I have other ideas too, but thoughts?
I think "outside the classroom" refers to academics (classwork/MCATs/maybe research?). Being a teacher is completely different, and can definitely work. I'm doing something similar and writing about my time as a UTA and how it helped my overcome my introvertedness.

I think being a teacher would be a wonderful activity to include here. I guess my old definition of "outside the classroom" doesn't really work in this case. lol

That keeps happening to me! I tried resetting my password, but to no avail. I may just wait until the morning, maybe the site's traffic will slow down by then? If you figure it out, let me know.
Hey! Just saw this--not sure if you figured it out yet. I just closed the entire website and opened it again and then it worked. Did you figure it out yet?

I went with list format for these types of questions because it just seemed more efficient to me. But honestly there's no right or wrong, whatever feels natural for you then go for it.

Great, nice to have your opinion. I just wasn't sure if a list would seem a bit lazy, but it's the most transparent and easy to read.

Does anyone know if there is a separate application to fill out to become part of the track program--or it this something that one can become involved with after matriculating?

What does it say for your application status for those of you that submitted?

Here is what it says for me:

We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue.

Is it unverified because of the AMCAS not releasing everything yet? Or am I the only one with this status?

EDIT: Found the answer earlier in the thread. Here it is:

Originally Posted by hvairline

Last edited:
I think "outside the classroom" refers to academics (classwork/MCATs/maybe research?). Being a teacher is completely different, and can definitely work. I'm doing something similar and writing about my time as a UTA and how it helped my overcome my introvertedness.

I would consider research to be "outside the classroom".

Does anyone know if there is a separate application to fill out to become part of the track program--or it this something that one can become involved with after matriculating?

I'm also curious about this. I couldn't find any info about when you apply on there website.

I would consider research to be "outside the classroom".
That's what I was hoping. It's just that some of my research projects have ties to many of my classes, so I'm in that awkward position of whether my research counts as out of the classroom or not.

You'd think they'd add just a smidge more clarification to these prompts...

Hey! Just saw this--not sure if you figured it out yet. I just closed the entire website and opened it again and then it worked. Did you figure it out yet?
Yes, I did. I waited until the next morning, and then it worked fine. Must have been first day difficulties. Thanks for checking!

That's what I was hoping. It's just that some of my research projects have ties to many of my classes, so I'm in that awkward position of whether my research counts as out of the classroom or not.

You'd think they'd add just a smidge more clarification to these prompts...

Ya, I personally discussed my research achievements for that question (two first author publications & multiple conference presentations). Its hands down the best thing about my application lol

Someone with the secondary do me a favor? Last year spaces were excluded from the character limit - is it the same this year? Thanks!