2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there possibly future doctors! I'm currently a rising third year pharmacy student looking for a roommate for this June. I'll be looking in the Church Hill area which is close to school with a budgetof 500-600 a month.

I've actually found a nice 3br/2.5bath house a little over a mile away from school for $1300 a month. They wont let me put in an application without roommates to meet their salary requirements. Please reply asap if anybody is intersted, I think this place will go fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there possibly future doctors! I'm currently a rising third year pharmacy student looking for a roommate for this June. I'll be looking in the Church Hill area which is close to school with a budgetof 500-600 a month.

I've actually found a nice 3br/2.5bath house a little over a mile away from school for $1300 a month. They wont let me put in an application without roommates to meet their salary requirements. Please reply asap if anybody is intersted, I think this place will go fast.

you might as well use the VCU off campus apartment forum or find a way onto the facebook page as many people there are pretty much set to be going to VCU. $1300 3 bedroom 2.5 bath sounds good, problem is, Many of us don't know if we will be going to VCU. Other than Einstein, if all things are equal I would chose VCU, problem is, the financial aid package is KEY. Most of us who have been accepted are waiting for this. Others here are waiting for acceptances off of the waitlist.

Hoya, what is your race and sex? VCU fills spots from the waitlist based on demographics and not neccessarily what your priority number is from what i understand. I hope you are a white male for my sake.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are OOS and declining your offer correct? If you are a caucasian male, vcu will fill your spot with an OOS caucasian male. Female for female, african american male for african american etc.

What is your source on this information? I have never heard this. From what I was lead to believe, they only sort their list into OOS male/female, and IS male/female

What is your source on this information? I have never heard this. From what I was lead to believe, they only sort their list into OOS male/female, and IS male/female
I don't think the race/gender being replaced with identical race/gender bit was ever said, BUT they do look to replace a withdrawn applicant with a comparable applicant, and it is likely race and gender are considered along with background experience. The only sure bit is the separate OOS and IS waitlists.

Hey all, if you're going to be attending next year be sure to join the facebook group!

Also, If anyone is looking to live in the Fan, Im in contact with a pretty awesome rental company that has apt's and townhomes all over the place. Price range is between 500 and 750/mo. Shoot me a message if you're interested!

you might as well use the VCU off campus apartment forum or find a way onto the facebook page as many people there are pretty much set to be going to VCU. $1300 3 bedroom 2.5 bath sounds good, problem is, Many of us don't know if we will be going to VCU. Other than Einstein, if all things are equal I would chose VCU, problem is, the financial aid package is KEY. Most of us who have been accepted are waiting for this. Others here are waiting for acceptances off of the waitlist.

Yup, did just that!

I will probably get my parents to cosign to hold it and try to find roomies in May when more people know what they are doing.

Thanks for the advice!

For those of us on the waitlist, when are you all going to get your finiancial packages, if you know?

Thanks.

For those of us on the waitlist, when are you all going to get your finiancial packages, if you know?

Thanks.

On a similar note, have accepted students gotten financial packages yet? There are crickets on my end...

Thanks.

From my understanding, I didn't think waitlisted people would get a financial package. I thought financial packages are only given after you've been accepted. Thus, they should get packages after acceptance off of the wait list.

I haven't heard anything from VCU yet. I'm eagerly waiting since they are so high on my list. I so hope they are able to provide me a good scholarship.

Has anyone tried to contact Dr. WHC about where they stand on the wait list and received a reply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! Hopefully more of us will get the same great news in the coming days.

Does anyone know when the decision about who is going to INOVA is made? When I applied I said I didn't mind staying or going, but since then circumstances have changed in a way that make staying in Richmond far more desirable. How do they figure out who is going, and is it negotiable?

congrats to those who got in!

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer. I know at most medical schools Ph.D professors and researchers at the medical school conduct and participate on the admissions committee, is this the case at VCU? Thanks!

congrats to those who got in!

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer. I know at most medical schools Ph.D professors and researchers at the medical school conduct and participate on the admissions committee, is this the case at VCU? Thanks!

Yes. My interviewer was a Ph.D. and part of the adcom.

i wonder if there is anything we could do to "help" getting off of the wait list....letters of recommendations? a phone call from a professor or PI? any thoughts?

I'm still on the waitlist at VCU and I'm so anxious to hear back =/. It's my number one choice and ahhhh I would die if I got in. :xf:

I'm still on the waitlist at VCU and I'm so anxious to hear back =/. It's my number one choice and ahhhh I would die if I got in. :xf:

I called today and they said the wait-list is not moving like it was in previous years.

Many more people are applying to medical schools this year because of the bad economy. Many more people will be holding only one acceptance instead of multiple acceptances. Thus, less waitlist movement.

What is VCU's grading system for M1 and M2? I've been searching, but I keep getting conflicting answers. Is it P/F or graded?

I always get so anxious when 6pm rolls around these days.

To the people who recently got accepted off of the waitlist- were you notified by a status update after 6pm, like how acceptances were sent out during the active cycle or was it some other way?

has anyone tried withdrawing their app? for some reason whenever i click it on the secondary site it lets me submit (it asks "are you sure" and i say "ok") but then nothing happens.

has anyone tried withdrawing their app? for some reason whenever i click it on the secondary site it lets me submit (it asks "are you sure" and i say "ok") but then nothing happens.

It also asks for last 4 digits of SSN. Do you see that textbox? If not try a different browser.

Just got accepted off the WL. Woo Woo! Actually I was notified around 6:30pm.
28, out of state female, 3.8, 33

Super excited to be moving back down South! I also went to Univ of Richmond and LOVE the city.

Congratulations, Becky! I just got accepted off the wait-list too!

OOS male. 4.0GPA, 31R.

i wonder if there is anything we could do to "help" getting off of the wait list....letters of recommendations? a phone call from a professor or PI? any thoughts?

I asked them about that once I got put on the waitlist and they told me that I'd already been assigned a score and any letters of interest, new activities or letters of rec won't change that.

It also said on the login page they stopped accepting letters of interest back in January.
Still, you could call them to ask anyway.

Does anyone know if VCU ranks students? If so, when do you find out your rank?

There is an out of state list and an in state list. Within whichever list you fall under, you are 'ranked' by your priority score that VCU assigns to you based on your application and interview.You may find out where you fall in the list if you email the dean later, after May 15th. In previous years (based on sdn threads), the dean would subtly hint if you were in a good standing in the waitlist if you asked her about your standing, but you never actually find out what your priority score is.

Just got the acceptance email! OOS white male, 3.75, 32Q. Super stoked, loved Richmond! Good luck to every on the waitlist, it will come soon!!

There is an out of state list and an in state list. Within whichever list you fall under, you are 'ranked' by your priority score that VCU assigns to you based on your application and interview.You may find out where you fall in the list if you email the dean later, after May 15th. In previous years (based on sdn threads), the dean would subtly hint if you were in a good standing in the waitlist if you asked her about your standing, but you never actually find out what your priority score is.
No I meant during your four years of medical school, does VCU have an internal ranking system based on your basic science grades? And if so, when do you find out your ranking?

No I meant during your four years of medical school, does VCU have an internal ranking system based on your basic science grades? And if so, when do you find out your ranking?

ohh, umm. The first year is pass/fail I believe, so I don't know if students can still be ranked but I am not sure.

I believe Dr.W-C said during the interview that students are ranked but you don't find out where you stand until you are interviewing for residencies and even then you only find out the quartile you're in, or something like that.

You are ranked based on all aspect of the medical education (basic sciences and clinical years). However, it is not a numbered system, but rather quartiles. So, you are either in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th quartiles (1st quartile = top 25% of the class). That is all you get to know and that is all they put in your deans letter. They say you can't find out until 4th year, but if you ask any of the advisers (don't ask like after your first exam, but like at the end of first year if you're curious) they'll be more than happy to tell you. But if you find out end of first year, just keep in mind that you have 3 more years to go and your rank can change.

Has anyone heard back as to where they stand on the waitlist?

Can someone briefly elaborate on the schedule for M1 and M2 year? How does a typical week looks like? Thanks a bunch.

Would anybody be willing to comment on the advantages/disadvantages of spending 3rd and 4th year at INOVA Fairfax versus MCV Hospitals? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.