2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's so much the MCAT score. i spoke with Dr. cook yesterday and I was told that though my numbers were solid, my clinicals weren't up to par. It's reasonably accurate. I definitely did do some shadowing and ER volunteering and some international clinical volunteering, but my extracurricular focus as an undergraduate was definitely research.

I was 3.5/37R and in-state with extensive research, publication, and award. But still she said that I'm basically halfway down the wait list "Not in a bad place."

As much as I wanted to stay in state, I'm still fortunate to have gotten in elsewhere. Still, to those with borderline MCAT scores, I think you should be fine here if you've got solid clinical exposure to show your dedication.

This is true. We are given a priority score based on MCAT, grades, clinical exposure, non-clinical exp, and research. So, one could counterbalance the other.

Members don't see this ad.

dc1112, did she tell you whether you still have a pretty good chance? Or how large the waitlist is currently?

Hey you guys, what would you say this school focuses on/likes to see more of - research or clin. experience? Because I'm applying this year (IS) hopefully but I won't have any research except for editing grants. But I have a lot more clinical experience and doing more of that this year. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well 67 million dollars from the NIH puts it in the top 55ish in the country. It is in Richmond, a diverse small city and the hospital is right there where you will for sure get a great clinical experience. You will get that experience, or you can go to the INOVA Fairfax facility and get a different (richer) experience ( Vice President Cheney got his Heart Transplant there). It is pass fail so you don't have to be a super gunner if you don't want. They have a good name well away from Virginia and it is a State School and the best one Virgina has so what is there not to like (UVA is private I believe).

It is what it is, a good balance of research and clinical. Not being a private school with huge resources would probably limit how big on research it can bel. Clinically, you'll see a lot and great diversity. The only way to see more is to go to a school in a big city like NYC and to a school like SUNY Downstate where there is a huge immigrant population from all of the world, huge domestic diversity, and the hospital, clinic and school is in the shadow of the 4 Manhattan Schools and Einstein and therefore are probably understaff for which you will thrust into doing things quickly and often. But then again, Downstate isn't big on research, which again highlights why VCU has such a good combination.

Plus a new curriculum is coming and they've been working on it for a while, a brand new building will open your year, and the staff was great. I was super excited to go to VCU, only giving them up due to my State School being cheaper and them made even more cheaper via a scholarship.

Well 67 million dollars from the NIH puts it in the top 55ish in the country. It is in Richmond, a diverse small city and the hospital is right there where you will for sure get a great clinical experience. You will get that experience, or you can go to the INOVA Fairfax facility and get a different (richer) experience ( Vice President Cheney got his Heart Transplant there). It is pass fail so you don't have to be a super gunner if you don't want. They have a good name well away from Virginia and it is a State School and the best one Virgina has so what is there not to like (UVA is private I believe).

It is what it is, a good balance of research and clinical. Not being a private school with huge resources would probably limit how big on research it can bel. Clinically, you'll see a lot and great diversity. The only way to see more is to go to a school in a big city like NYC and to a school like SUNY Downstate where there is a huge immigrant population from all of the world, huge domestic diversity, and the hospital, clinic and school is in the shadow of the 4 Manhattan Schools and Einstein and therefore are probably understaff for which you will thrust into doing things quickly and often. But then again, Downstate isn't big on research, which again highlights why VCU has such a good combination.

Plus a new curriculum is coming and they've been working on it for a while, a brand new building will open your year, and the staff was great. I was super excited to go to VCU, only giving them up due to my State School being cheaper and them made even more cheaper via a scholarship.

Thank you for the detailed reply! So I take that they would like to see more clinical experience overall? I have a chance to do more research or more clinical this year so I was wondering what I should go for. UVa is public but VCU is def great.

They have been giving out offers on Tuesdays for last two weeks, so, I am guessing/hoping that we hear something today..

Yep, plus I think that first batch on the 15th had two weeks to decide so hopefully some people declining means more acceptances soon.

Just withdrew my acceptance to VCU (accepted on 5/15). IS male. Real difficult decision but I've also been accepted to EVMS (5/17). Both schools are absolutely amazing but after sitting on both these acceptances for over a week, I'm going with my gut which says EVMS. Best of luck to all of you!

Just withdrew my acceptance to VCU (accepted on 5/15). IS male. Real difficult decision but I've also been accepted to EVMS (5/17). Both schools are absolutely amazing but after sitting on both these acceptances for over a week, I'm going with my gut which says EVMS. Best of luck to all of you!

I'm an IS male on the VCU waitlist! Pick me! Pick me! :D

someone send Dr. Whitehurst-Cook a battery of emails (~300) asking when exactly we can expect an update. just not me lol

someone send Dr. Whitehurst-Cook a battery of emails (~300) asking when exactly we can expect an update. just not me lol

haha I'll bet that would get your name off of the WL quickly...just probably not in the way we'd like

Members don't see this ad :)
stay calm! acceptances keep rolling out til August. I'm sure we'll be hearing back soon.

Good luck, guys. VCU's a great school. I do know that nationally wait lists aren't getting much movement this year. Those of us with straight post-interview acceptances at VCU, in many cases, have other schools higher on our lists where we're wait listed, but those wait lists are moving slowly (if at all). Unfortunately, that slows VCU's wait list as well.

I also withdrew (OOS male) this week. Best of luck everyone on the WL! Stay strong.

hey guys, I called the admissions office and they said no offers were made earlier this week but they anticipate probably making some offers tonight. goodluckk!

hey guys, I called the admissions office and they said no offers were made earlier this week but they anticipate probably making some offers tonight. goodluckk!

thank you for making that phone call! good luck everyone!

I got in yesterday evening too. words can't describe how happy i am to be getting out of chicago. now i just need to find a roommate because apartments aren't cheap around VCU. if anyone is looking, send me a pm!

I got in yesterday evening too. words can't describe how happy i am to be getting out of chicago. now i just need to find a roommate because apartments aren't cheap around VCU. if anyone is looking, send me a pm!

Congratulations!!!! I will be looking for a place too..

Congratulations!!!! I will be looking for a place too..
Congrats to you as well - it was a long wait. I look forward to meeting everyone in August! And if you want a roommate, you can contact me. Just beware that I may get a cat

Has anyone received any news about financial aid awards?

I haven't, but you should have gotten a form emailed to you about how much money you plan on borrowing. It also lists a maximum amount you can borrow depending what year you're in (M1, M2, etc) based on your FAFSA. I'm guessing they take this into account before they offer you institutional aid. But I've really no idea how it works.

Can someone comment on what class schedules (on a daily basis, not the curriculum) are like for M1 students?

I think they said it was Monday - Friday 8am to 12pm, then you free after. But twice a week we have to attend foundations of clinical medicine

I just withdrew from VCU, and I'm sure this will make at least 1 person happy :) OOS female. It was a hard decision because I really liked the school/facilities. Good luck guys, the waitlist is moving! ;-)

I just withdrew from VCU, and I'm sure this will make at least 1 person happy :) OOS female. It was a hard decision because I really liked the school/facilities. Good luck guys, the waitlist is moving! ;-)

THANK YOU!
sincerely, OOS female.

Hi all,

I was accepted off the waitlist on June 1st. Will be accepting the offer. I'm an out-of-state male.

has anyone heard anything from Dr. Whitehurst-Cook?

She told me to wait until July to submit my AMCAS...don't know what my chances are though

I have been reading here for a while but I'm finally posting! I emailed her on Tuesday and she hasn't responded at all yet. Back in May she told me the IS list was sluggish and she would have a better idea of my position this month...but no reply! :/

I emailed her Sunday 6/3/12 but got no reply. I'm trying my best to stay hopeful but I don't know anymore. I hope we all hear some good news from somewhere soon.

its been a long wait...come on in-state peeps, drop out and get accepted somewhere else and let us on the waitlist get accepted!

its been a long wait...come on in-state peeps, drop out and get accepted somewhere else and let us on the waitlist get accepted!

+1 Hopefully sooon...gotta start making plans for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.