2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. Did anyone else select to be put on the alternate list? It said "form" but it was only one button/selection.

Also what are we supposed to do if we dont hear from vcu by may 15 and we already accepted and sent a deposit to another school? Is it like, i can still choose vcu after may 15 but then i lose my deposit to the other school? I just want to know what is actually binding.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Mine had 2 buttons to select from: 1) Accepted to another school but still want to be on the list for VCU, and 2) Not accepted to another school and want to be on the list. Assuming this is what they meant by "form."

Each school has different rules, but the AAMC recommendations say that the deposit should be fully refundable until May 15. At most schools, if you have paid the deposit and decide to go to another school after May 15, you will lose the deposit. $100 is a tiny drop in the bucket if you really love VCU and would want to go there over the other school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you didn't get rejected like me. The messed up part was actually giving me an interview and getting my hopes up

So I just got put on the alternative list. When they say that a waitlist will be compiled on April 1 or 2 does that mean that they haven't set people in a position on the list yet? Would it be worth contacting the dean of admissions re-emphasizing my interest in VCU? Also, I went to VCU for college and I have professor who was wondering if he could call them up to inquire about my application as well. Would that be recommended?

Wait-listed as well. Was on hold since...January something. 4.0/31R

Two questions:

1) Does anyone understand what 'on-hold' truly means? Is it 'We don't know if we want to wait-list or reject you' or is it 'We don't know if we want to accept or wait-list you?' Has anyone been on-hold and accepted?

2) What difference does it make between 'I have been accepted elsewhere and would like to be on the waitlist' vs 'I haven't been accepted anywhere and would like to be on the waitlist?'

I mean, I can understand how they can use that to gauge how many ppl might be likely to go elsewhere even if waitlisted...but do you think it plays into their rankings?

Wait-listed as well. Was on hold since...January something. 4.0/31R

Two questions:

1) Does anyone understand what 'on-hold' truly means? Is it 'We don't know if we want to wait-list or reject you' or is it 'We don't know if we want to accept or wait-list you?' Has anyone been on-hold and accepted?

2) What difference does it make between 'I have been accepted elsewhere and would like to be on the waitlist' vs 'I haven't been accepted anywhere and would like to be on the waitlist?'

I mean, I can understand how they can use that to gauge how many ppl might be likely to go elsewhere even if waitlisted...but do you think it plays into their rankings?

in regards to #2...who cares? you can't lie (not that you would or that I am saying you would) b/c they can see where you have been accepted anyways. best to not get gray hairs and avoid speculating

Honestly, pretty much every question anyone asks here is irrelevant. You either get in, or you don't. I'm just curious.

On hold means your priority score isn't high enough to be accepted at a specified offer day, so you are being held to the next offer day (or the one after, or the one after) until they accept down to your priority score.

Hey I'm new to this forum. I want to post this to give help and maybe hope to future applicants.

Firstly, I was accepted to VCU School of Medicine!!! I'm stoked about it.

Now for the rest:

I applied late in the game. AMCAS was sent in on Sept 16. I didn't know the crucial part of applying early until, well, too late.

Filled out the secondary app and heard about interview in December.

Prepped for the interview by going to a fantastic website which I cannot honestly remember right now. Just search, and it is a website that compares all the interviews of different applicants, and surveys them, and each person puts in like 3 interview questions they had, as well as rating their interview and so forth. So I made a sheet of like 67 possible interview questions and I prepped for all of them. So I was really ready for the interview.

Interview took place on Feb 27. The interview was chill. One on One and I only interviewed once. He was a nice older guy, went over my AMCAS app pretty much in detail and we talked about it and he asked questions about what I did and such. He also asked questions that I had prepped for.

I heard back this March 16. They accepted me :) :)

My stats:
I'm Out of State.
I have a 4.0/31N MCAT.
I'm also an EMT-Basic.
I also had a lot of community service on trips to NYC and soup kitchens and such.
VCU apparently is big into community service, so start early!

Anyways, I hope this helps somebody.

I was invited to the second look and I was rejected today. lol I am very thankful that I did not buy the plane ticket to Richmond.

Prepped for the interview by going to a fantastic website which I cannot honestly remember right now. Just search, and it is a website that compares all the interviews of different applicants, and surveys them, and each person puts in like 3 interview questions they had, as well as rating their interview and so forth. So I made a sheet of like 67 possible interview questions and I prepped for all of them. So I was really ready for the interview.

The website you are referring to is also Student Doctor Network (Interview Feedback, under the Articles & Interviews tab at the top of the page). Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup:

I am very thankful that I did not buy the plane ticket to Richmond.

+1. I don't understand why they invite who they invite to second look. I was also invited and I was waitlisted today. Kinda cruel, especially since the RSVP date was before March 16. I was torn, but I'm glad I decided to decline.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCUhas a huge bias for EMT's they accept anyone who is an EMT

The website you are referring to is also Student Doctor Network (Interview Feedback, under the Articles & Interviews tab at the top of the page). Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup:

+1. I don't understand why they invite who they invite to second look. I was also invited and I was waitlisted today. Kinda cruel, especially since the RSVP date was before March 16. I was torn, but I'm glad I decided to decline.

Yea, well I'm not so sure because Im an EMT-B as well, and I didnt even make it onto the waitlist.

I've been a volunteer EMT for 6 years. 4.0, 31R. I was only wait-listed.

Also, thanks for your reply, Ismet!

Last edited:

hmm this might be a bit of an over generalization for the anxious premeds looking through these threads. Nothing in this whole arduous process is for certain.

That being said, I do agree that VCU seems to be quite interested in community service. From my interview and other people who I have talked to, there were a lot of community service based questions. But going back to my first point, I barely have any community service at all, and I managed to get an acceptance. go figure:confused:

Anyone know how soon they usually start accepting after the waitlist is formed?

Does anyone have the US News report for VCU?

Does anyone know the number of people on the IS or OOS waitlists and the number of people that have gotten in of each in past years?

The only statistic that I've heard from someone on the adcom is that approximately 50% of the incoming class will be composed of waitlisters. Sounds hopeful, eh?

The only statistic that I've heard from someone on the adcom is that approximately 50% of the incoming class will be composed of waitlisters. Sounds hopeful, eh?

Haha it does! I suppose I will take all the optimism I can get! Thanks

It turns out that they accidentally had sent me the email to be rejected. I was suppose to get an alternate email. I will be attending second look weekend. :)

can anyone attend? if I want to attend should i register?

I know the website says don't send update letters unless its grades or a publication, but does this mean they don't want letters of interest/intent as well? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Did you get the email inviting you to second look? Not everyone gets invited. If you did get the email and you want to attend, then yes, you have to register.

Just wondering, does anyone know if there is a reason not everyone gets invited to second look?

I believe based on other posts in this forum that its for URM but I'm not 100% sure.

Just wondering, does anyone know if there is a reason not everyone gets invited to second look?

I believe based on other posts in this forum that its for URM but I'm not 100% sure.

I believe it's geared towards URM, disadvantaged, and underserved applicants. I'd assume it has a mainly URM focus though because there are activities/meals with members of SNMA.

I've heard that all schools have to send out all their acceptances and rejections by March 31st and that waitlists don't really have a deadline. Is this true?

does anyone know when the first day of class at VCU is? also, when is their white coat ceremony?

does anyone know when the first day of class at VCU is? also, when is their white coat ceremony?

Orientation starts August 6, class starts on the 12th.
Cant remember the date of the white coat ceremony,

Orientation starts August 6, class starts on the 12th.
Cant remember the date of the white coat ceremony,

White coat ceremony Friday, August 10, 2012 at 2:00 p.m.

Has anyone asked Dr. WHC about where they were on the waitlist? And if so, has anyone gotten a response?

Several people got accepted off of the wait list around this date last year. Is there any word that it will be handled differently this year?

Fairly certain I will be withdrawing my acceptance from here on the May 15th deadline.

Hey everyone, first time poster over here. I constantly use the forum to see what other people have heard from the school, so I thought I would return the favor. I called admissions today and the woman who answered told me that waitlist acceptances will come in as spots open up (so I am guessing that means we don't necessarily have to wait till May 15th). This is the same as they have done it in the past. She did mention however, that the waitlist seems a little slower this year than previous years. :(

Hoya, what is your race and sex? VCU fills spots from the waitlist based on demographics and not neccessarily what your priority number is from what i understand. I hope you are a white male for my sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.