* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Safe to say its probably kinesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Quick question. I submitted my AACOMAS 7/26/11. I held back because I was waitlisted at a few MD schools, and I have finaly given up hope. Currently, I am just waiting for my AACOMAS to get verified. I notice that some people are already getting interview invites. How late am I? I notice deadlines ranging all the way into early next year. Am I already at a disadvantage? Man, SDN applicants scare me.

I suppose I should get the secondary prompts at this time so that I don't fall any further behind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Quick question. I submitted my AACOMAS 7/26/11. I held back because I was waitlisted at a few MD schools, and I have finaly given up hope. Currently, I am just waiting for my AACOMAS to get verified. I notice that some people are already getting interview invites. How late am I? I notice deadlines ranging all the way into early next year. Am I already at a disadvantage? Man, SDN applicants scare me.

I suppose I should get the secondary prompts at this time so that I don't fall any further behind?

for sure start working on the secondaries so you can submit the right away. I think how "late" you are would depend on your stats.

I wasn't planning on applying this cycle, but I think that I may not want to take a gap year.

I'm worried that I may be submitting too late; but the main problem is that I don't have a second academic LOR. That basically really limits the schools I can apply to.

I guess I have three main questions:

1. Is it too late to submit a primary through AACOMAS now? If it is not I will not be able to get the sole academic LOR I have (physics prof.) until most likely early September, would that be a problem? I already have the DO letter.

2. What schools only require 1 academic LOR? Right now looking at my list I can only see AZCOM, CCOM, KCOM and SOMA. Are there anymore?

3. Is the fact that I have 1 academic LOR too limiting in terms of applications?

EDIT:

Also apparently PCOM doesn't require academic at all, only a dean and DO, so I guess I'll add that to my potential list too. VCOM doesn't require a 2nd letter, but reading their website it seems they are regionally biased.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My transcript got to AACOMAS on 7/12 and I still have not been verified. Is this normal? Also, I am taking a summer course at CC right now and I asked for a transcript exemption. They denied it, stating I will need to provide the grades after the course is complete. Thats fine, but the will still process my app w/o the grades from the summer course, right?

Thanks for your help

I have everything done but my receive MCAT score back, and I am still working on my personal statement.

Can I just put a rough draft of the PS, click on one school, and start the verification process? then update the PS with in the next week or two?

Hi everyone,

My transcript got to AACOMAS on 7/12 and I still have not been verified. Is this normal? Also, I am taking a summer course at CC right now and I asked for a transcript exemption. They denied it, stating I will need to provide the grades after the course is complete. Thats fine, but the will still process my app w/o the grades from the summer course, right?

Thanks for your help

Yes and yes. Verification takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Also, your app will be processed with your current grades, and then you can send in an updated transcript with your summer grade.

Don't worry about it, I submitted earlier than you and is still not verified yet.

Thanks, everyone. I guess I am just paranoid.

I have everything done but my receive MCAT score back, and I am still working on my personal statement.

Can I just put a rough draft of the PS, click on one school, and start the verification process? then update the PS with in the next week or two?

No, once you submit you can't change your PS.

Hey guys, I have a couple questions...

On AACOMAS activities and work sections do we need to provide contact names and phone number's at all in the description part? Or can we just leave that out? I know in AMCAS we have to provide them, but I havn't seen that we do in AACOMAS.

Also do you just put "shadowing" in the activities section? and then in the description field type what fields you shadowed in and how many hours? Do we need to include all the doctors we shadowed too? I have shadowed quite a few docs but only for 1 or 2 days each. Anything I am missing? Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, once you submit you can't change your PS.

I can change mine on the AACOMAS website. Do they not update it when they resend the applications out every tuesday?

I think they do update it weekly.

Since the verification process takes 4-6 weeks, I should be able to update my PS before any school recieves it right?
I just need to get the ball rolling on my transcript verification, but I still have friends critiqing my PS, needs more work to get it perfect.

What if I just click apply to one school at the bottom of my list?

Since the verification process takes 4-6 weeks, I should be able to update my PS before any school recieves it right?
I just need to get the ball rolling on my transcript verification, but I still have friends critiqing my PS, needs more work to get it perfect.

What if I just click apply to one school at the bottom of my list?

I'm under the impression that you can change anything about your application except the coursework. AACOMAS will send updates to the schools weekly (on tuesdays). However, I'm not 100% sure. You might want to ask them? Call or send an email through the support tab on the website.

finally verified!

:D

Makes me so happy.

does anyone know how long it takes after you are verified. I still have to take my mcat in the next two weeks. But, I was wondering if I could start getting secondaries before that. I know of a few that won't send any secondaries until everything is complete. But, for those that do send after the primary app is verified, how long does it take? A few weeks?

I am done with my application and about to submit before my fee waiver expires...and had a couple last minute questions.

Do we need to put contact names and info in each of our ec activities/work experiences? I havn't seen anything about doing so (I do know AMCAS requires it)I would rather use the space explaining what I did/learned.

Also, where do you put shadowing in the application? I didn't include it in my ps (had more influential experiences). Do I put it in the ec/vol/com. service section and for position just put physician shadowing? what do I put for name of organization? I have shadowed 4-5 physicians for a total of around 50-60 hours. Do I include each doctor's name and speciality? I feel like this would be a waste of space when I could rather talk about what I learned and enjoyed. Any tips?

Thank you!

I am done with my application and about to submit before my fee waiver expires...and had a couple last minute questions.

Do we need to put contact names and info in each of our ec activities/work experiences? I havn't seen anything about doing so (I do know AMCAS requires it)I would rather use the space explaining what I did/learned.

Also, where do you put shadowing in the application? I didn't include it in my ps (had more influential experiences). Do I put it in the ec/vol/com. service section and for position just put physician shadowing? what do I put for name of organization? I have shadowed 4-5 physicians for a total of around 50-60 hours. Do I include each doctor's name and speciality? I feel like this would be a waste of space when I could rather talk about what I learned and enjoyed. Any tips?

Thank you!

I didn't put contact information since they did not ask for it. I put shadowing in Activities and just put whatever you feel is relevant to the experience. You could put each name and specialty but that would take a lot of space. Explain how you have a better understanding of osteopathic medicine from observing and learning from a physician.

does anyone know how long it takes after you are verified. I still have to take my mcat in the next two weeks. But, I was wondering if I could start getting secondaries before that. I know of a few that won't send any secondaries until everything is complete. But, for those that do send after the primary app is verified, how long does it take? A few weeks?

I got verified on 7/25 and received 8 secondaries on 7/27. Get ready to write.

Thank you!

1. I put contact information for a few things I would think they'd want to check... like clinical stuff, all my tutoring (I had a ton), etc. If you have the space, you should put it. It's just a matter of copy/pasting from AMCAS right? lol.

2. I put shadowing under ec/vol/comm service part. I just called it "Shadowed Dr. [name], DO.", then gave a little description about it. I put the doc's name and specialty in the description. In your case, since you have a lot of doctors you shadowed, I'd call the subject "Physician Shadowing Experience", and list the doctors like....

Dr. A, MD - obgyn
Dr. B, DO - family medicine
Dr. C... etc.

Description....

Just my $0.02, someone else may want to voice their input.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info/warning. :)

Are we expected to have shadowing on our app? I was already verified. But, can I just call or email them to add that to my app?

Thanks.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info/warning. :)

Are we expected to have shadowing on our app? I was already verified. But, can I just call or email them to add that to my app?

Thanks.

There's probably a question on a secondary where it asks to list any information they need to know that's not listed on the AACOMAS primary. I'm just about to start prewriting my secondaries, so I'm not sure.

Question... are the secondary prompts from this thread still accurate? I wish we could spend some time updating it with current prompts... I know the one for TCOM is outdated for sure.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=220291

Hi all,

I am about to submit my primary (I know, kinda late) and I have a few quick questions. I also applied to some MD schools and I am not too familiar with the extracurricular and awards sections of the DO application.

1. So we are not supposed to include contact info for each entry? Or should this be in the text?

2. Can I add as many entries as I want? Or is there kind of a suggested amount?

3. I did a capstone project and an honors thesis during my senior year. They both spanned the whole year and I think they are impressive. What section should I put these in? They aren't exactly extracurricular since they were associated with courses but there was a ton of outside work. I was invited to present at a poster session event for my capstone project so could I count this as an award? But in that section there isn't room to explain so it might look weird.

4. Should I list being on the dean's list for the awards section? I know it isn't that impressive. If I should list it, it seems weird to just have one entry since you can't enter multiple dates.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am about to submit my primary (I know, kinda late) and I have a few quick questions. I also applied to some MD schools and I am not too familiar with the extracurricular and awards sections of the DO application.

1. So we are not supposed to include contact info for each entry? Or should this be in the text?

2. Can I add as many entries as I want? Or is there kind of a suggested amount?

3. I did a capstone project and an honors thesis during my senior year. They both spanned the whole year and I think they are impressive. What section should I put these in? They aren't exactly extracurricular since they were associated with courses but there was a ton of outside work. I was invited to present at a poster session event for my capstone project so could I count this as an award? But in that section there isn't room to explain so it might look weird.

4. Should I list being on the dean's list for the awards section? I know it isn't that impressive. If I should list it, it seems weird to just have one entry since you can't enter multiple dates.

Thanks!

1. I didn't put contact infos
2. Put as many as they will allow you if you want, I also put some leisure activities
3. I'd put them in the extracurricular section and detail them nicely.
4. I put dean's list like this "Dean's List - Multiple" just to let them know I got it more than once.

I am finished with my application and just waiting for a decision on the fee waiver. I was wondering how long did it take people to get their fee waivers after sending in their documents. Trying to decide if its worth it to submit my application now without a fee waiver.

Thank you

I've been trying to find specific rules on grade replacement and I've struggled. I'm hoping someone can give me some quick information.

In order for a class to be replaced, it has to have equal ratios, right? What if one class was QH and one was SH?

The biggest issue with grade replacement will be the fact that I was doing nursing several years ago and decided that nursing wasn't for me. When I dropped the program, it dropped my last classes as Fs and not Ws. It isn't feasible to retake those classes unless I were to go into the nursing program again JUST to retake them. How can I explain this and will this kill my chances?

it won't KILL your chances, but you are right, there is no way to do it. as far as the QH vs SH, AACOMAS can help you with that as I am not sure. generally it is for equal or more credits. what is your GPA? they will see the Fs and Ws and unless you take them, they will be factored. If your cGPA is high enough, you may be fine.

I have been enrolled in a joint bachelors/masters program at my university. I just graduated with the bachelors and will formally start on the masters this fall. I I took 6 credits of grad level courses as a senior last year.

So from this I should list those 6 credits as graduate and not senior right? I just don't want to mess up and hold up the verification process. I'm concerned because if someone is looking at my transcript the grad classes are just mixed in with undergrad classes during my senior year and it might look strange. Thanks in advance.

Are Comparative Literature classes under English or Non-Science?

Can't figure out where to put/if I should even put: that fact that I am an FAA licensed private pilot. Technically it would be in the EC section but it seems kind of weird to put it there. Is it even relevant?

Maybe it be better to create a seperate "Hobbies" section and just list it + a few other things all in one place. Thoughts?

Can't figure out where to put/if I should even put: that fact that I am an FAA licensed private pilot. Technically it would be an EC but it seems kind of weird to put it there. Is it even relevant?

Put it. Just adds another dimension to your individuality and that's a GOOD THING. Gotta try to stand out as much as possible.

I am finished with my application and just waiting for a decision on the fee waiver. I was wondering how long did it take people to get their fee waivers after sending in their documents. Trying to decide if its worth it to submit my application now without a fee waiver.

Thank you

It took me about a week or so I believe, not that long

Go to the school and request they be changed to W's. Tell them your situation and maybe someone will be empathetic.

I had my registrar send my transcript about a week ago. No update under accomas. Anyone know how long it takes for accomas? Also, is it okay that the registrar didnt put down the accomas ID or anything, I hope they dont lose it or not know.

I just released my the MCAT scores to AACOMAS so it takes about 48 hours (or so they say on the MCAT history page). Should I submit my application pronto or should I wait to finally see those mcat scores appear under "Official MCATs" tab before I do anything? :confused: :sleep::cool::D:):luck::xf:

not asking whether I can do it but whether I should. Important IMHO.

Hello everyone,
I been looking everywhere on the aacom.org site but could not find the answer to the OP question regarding the QH vs SH for grade replacement.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Brandon X

Hello everyone,
I been looking everywhere on the aacom.org site but could not find the answer to the OP question regarding the QH vs SH for grade replacement.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Brandon X

Retaking a class has to have more SH hours vs the old class. Even if the old class was QH, you calculate the SH via the conversion, and then use that.

QH Class = 4 units = 2.7 SH
New Class SH = 4 units (A.OK! 4>2.7)

Hey so I dont know why I never considered applying D.O. and to be honest I think it was the whole stupid "its not an M.D. bias, but looking on it now, and talking with some family friends (m.d.'s and d.o.'s ) seems like its a fair route to take.

with the said I did my AAMCOMAS app today, applied to touro (Cali), Western, MSU, and the Newyork schools (did based on location, and i heard the MSU program was great. I had a couple of questions and was hoping I could get some help?

1. Is it too late? I submitted today 8/7/11, Im going to call/go to the schools tommorow get my transcripts express sent. I have my letters ready at a letter service (though I do need to get a D.O. letter, and plan on getting that this week. I have physician shadowing no d.o. shadowing do I need that?

2. Do D.O. schools offer financial aid? ive heard they are very expensive

3. Is there anything else I could do to strengthen my app? Im applying M.D. as well but my stats are a little all over the place

cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.53 Mcat 36 ( might be able to raise the GPAs with a grade replacement on a C+? but its a quarter semester switch)

anyway thanks for the help, i appreciate any and all advice

with the said I did my AAMCOMAS app today, applied to touro (Cali), Western, MSU, and the Newyork schools (did based on location, and i heard the MSU program was great. I had a couple of questions and was hoping I could get some help?

LOL

1. Is it too late? I submitted today 8/7/11, Im going to call/go to the schools tommorow get my transcripts express sent. I have my letters ready at a letter service (though I do need to get a D.O. letter, and plan on getting that this week. I have physician shadowing no d.o. shadowing do I need that?]

No. However, the fact that you haven't shadowed a DO MAY raise some additional questions about why you are considering osteopathic medicine. Remember, "because I didn't get into MD schools" isn't a favorable response. The fact that you are getting a physician letter is good, though. Some DO schools don't even require DO letters.

2. Do D.O. schools offer financial aid? ive heard they are very expensive

Of course. And they aren't really any more expensive than MD schools. Consider LECOM for example....

3. Is there anything else I could do to strengthen my app? Im applying M.D. as well but my stats are a little all over the place

Can't tell you much without knowing your EC's. Based on your stats (and a good interview, of course), you shouldn't have a problem yielding an acceptance.

cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.53 Mcat 36 ( might be able to raise the GPAs with a grade replacement on a C+? but its a quarter semester switch)

Don't waste your time. Your GPA is fine for DO schools and your MCAT is outstanding.

Hey so I have pretty good experience Clinical volunteering ( I can smell the patient), Research, and teaching, did some work abroad.

Im having trouble with the why D.O. more specifically why D.O. instead of M.D. if the two are the essentially same (which everyone tells me they are) why cant my motivations for D.O. be the same as for M.D. To practice the art of medicine. I do like how D.O. places an emphasis on healing the cause of the problem not just the symptom. But i've never shadowed a D.O. and dont have a concrete of example of what i just stated.

Why cant why D.O. be the same reason as why M.D.?

Also what are the "good" d.o. schools i tried searching SDN nada, considering calling the grads i know, but im guessing theyll tell me their schools relatives who went to philly (p-com?) and western

Also what are the "good" d.o. schools i tried searching SDN nada, considering calling the grads i know, but im guessing theyll tell me their schools relatives who went to philly (p-com?) and western

Well, this can't be true because I know of numerous threads that specifically address this issue and can easily be found with a search.

But, I'll just tell you: CCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, TCOM, KCOM are considered some of the most reputable.

I'll let someone else chime in on your other question regarding your reasons for applying DO.

Where in the AACOMA application would you put your certifications under? If you have an EMT certification, CPR, HSPP, etc. would you put that under???? Thank you.

Where in the AACOMA application would you put your certifications under? If you have an EMT certification, CPR, HSPP, etc. would you put that under???? Thank you.

You may be able to put it under the EC section. However, if you have a job or volunteer as an emt, there's no need for an extra section listing your certs.

I just listed my EMT training as an EC, but I didn't list things like CPR which should be a given. Some secondary's allow you to submit a CV so you can list all your certifications there if they ask.

I just hit apply on my application but my transcripts have been in for awhile. Does this speed verification along?