* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey i just wanted to know what type of course do i put my biochem senior seminar as in the aacomas app? biochem or some other science?

I listed my biology seminar course as "other science."

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Does anyone know if math counts/doesn't count toward sGPA? I can only find posts from a couple years ago. Maybe it's changed since then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah Man!!!!! This really sucks. I basically had everything set and ready for verification. One of the guys was nice enough to fix the tiny mistakes on my app to get it ready for verification. Well, turns out the class I took at a different college screwed me over by sending the WRONG transcript. Isn't that just beautiful (hint: sarcasm)? So now, I will be lucky to be verified by mid august. Oh well.... such is life. (sigh for now)

i know this is probably a simple question...

1. when inputing grades, do you input them just as they are in the transcript? or lets say I retook a class, do i just input the repeat class with better grade?

2. can i submit primaries if i am still waiting on 1 last professor LOR?

3. i already took mcat but i plan on taking again, i just fill in the prvious score and "plan on taking" on aacomas right?

thank you in advance.

U should put all your repeats on there. For example, the first time u take a class, its repeat 1. Even if u take it another time/at a diff college/where ever, its still repeat 1. Now, the last time u take the class is when u label it Last repeat 1. The next class u repeat should then be repeat 2 and in the same format as previous described.

U can submit your prim w/o lors. Send them to the schools.

Yes, just say u plan to retake. Make sure u tell some schools to hold your app until your scores come in. Others might already do this for u.

Ps. From my android.

Hey guys,

So... I said I was going to submit about 4 days ago. I haven't yet, but I WILL 100% for sure submit tomorrow! Hold me to it guys, k? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a couple finishing questions. First, for some leadership experiences that I've done over several years I don't quite know the number of cumulative hours. For example: one of the clubs I've led for many years... and I know i've contributed hundreds of hours of hard work (it feels like 500+ hours). Should I just put 500, or should I leave it blank? I'm hesitating to leave it blank because I've committed so much time to it, I want them to know how dedicated I was. But I don't want them to be suspicious either, even if the high number of hours I were to report would be a close estimate to the actual.

Hope that makes sense. Anyway, please let me know! THanks!

Another grade replacement question (sorry for so many! :confused:)

For retakes, I know it has to be same # of credit hours or more..but does the class have to be the same *exact* course material, or same *general* course material? Specifically, I took calculus based physics and did bad..if I retook regular physics (non calculus based), would it fly as grade-replaceable? Or no, since the retake was not calc based?

Hey guys,

So... I said I was going to submit about 4 days ago. I haven't yet, but I WILL 100% for sure submit tomorrow! Hold me to it guys, k? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a couple finishing questions. First, for some leadership experiences that I've done over several years I don't quite know the number of cumulative hours. For example: one of the clubs I've led for many years... and I know i've contributed hundreds of hours of hard work (it feels like 500+ hours). Should I just put 500, or should I leave it blank? I'm hesitating to leave it blank because I've committed so much time to it, I want them to know how dedicated I was. But I don't want them to be suspicious either, even if the high number of hours I were to report would be a close estimate to the actual.

Hope that makes sense. Anyway, please let me know! THanks!

that's what i did. i put the approximately total, and then in the description of the activity, i explained... "put about X hours per week for ~x years/months"

that's what i did. i put the approximately total, and then in the description of the activity, i explained... "put about X hours per week for ~x years/months"

Can't you just put the # of hours per week? From there, they can get a good understanding of the average hours.

My other question is this, my application is done, I have chosen the schools, and my MCAT scores are in. My transcripts are all on their way. What happens from here? Should I submit my application before the transcript is received?

will the schools see the original grade prior to the repeat? in my case i got a C+ on org 2 and one summer when i had a light load i decided to retake and got the A.

Quick question... I was nominated for the highest student honor at my school but didn't win. They say that being nominated is a huge deal as well, so should I put it on my app under Honors/Awards that I was nominated? It kinda meant a lot to me lol. :rolleyes:

Quick question... I was nominated for the highest student honor at my school but didn't win. They say that being nominated is a huge deal as well, so should I put it on my app under Honors/Awards that I was nominated? It kinda meant a lot to me lol. :rolleyes:

I think you should, especially since it was such a big deal to get nominated. :D
I was nominated for an honors society at my school but didn't win and I listed on my application. I just put "xxxx honors society - nominee"

Members don't see this ad :)
I think several people must have gone through this question, but I kept looking in threads, could not find an answer, so thought of creating this thread.

I did my freshman year in an university which had a semester system (2 per year) and got a D in one of the physics classes. Starting sophomore year, I moved to a university which had a quarter system (3 per year). Advisor told me to repeat that physics and that I should take physics in two of the quarters, which I did and got a much better grade (A and B+).

Is there a way I can benifit from grade-replacement policy? If so, how do I enter the subjects?

Many thanks

I think several people must have gone through this question, but I kept looking in threads, could not find an answer, so thought of creating this thread.

I did my freshman year in an university which had a semester system (2 per year) and got a D in one of the physics classes. Starting sophomore year, I moved to a university which had a quarter system (3 per year). Advisor told me to repeat that physics and that I should take physics in two of the quarters, which I did and got a much better grade (A and B+).

Is there a way I can benifit from grade-replacement policy? If so, how do I enter the subjects?

Many thanks
Have you started entering things into the AACOMAS application? When you enter a course it will ask for the subject and level, if I remember correctly. If you enter everything then the system should recognize that you repeated a course, and it should automatically drop the lower grade and not factor it into your GPA.

To be honest I didn't have any grade replacements, but that's my understanding of how it works.

You put in the old course as a last repeat (iif you did it once) and it figures it out. Generally though it has to be either the same or more credits so I am not sure the quarter/semester conversion.

Ok guys!! Just submitted... so nervous, hope it gets verified by the end of July/early August. I'm still in the game (I think)!!!

Time to start prewriting some secondaries, hehe. Does anyone know if the old "Official DO Secondary" thread with all the prompts on it is still accurate, or have the essays changed any?

Also, I hear LECOM doesn't have any secondary essays... is this TRUE?!?! :love:

Ok guys!! Just submitted... so nervous, hope it gets verified by the end of July/early August. I'm still in the game (I think)!!!

Time to start prewriting some secondaries, hehe. Does anyone know if the old "Official DO Secondary" thread with all the prompts on it is still accurate, or have the essays changed any?

Also, I hear LECOM doesn't have any secondary essays... is this TRUE?!?! :love:
What do u mean "in the game" ? Oh no, I'm feeling sick. Am I at a loss because aacomas messed up my app? See previous post, they lost my transcript and now I have to wait a good six weeks until verification. Does this put me at a disadvantage or am I over reacting sdn style?

What do u mean "in the game" ? Oh no, I'm feeling sick. Am I at a loss because aacomas messed up my app? See previous post, they lost my transcript and now I have to wait a good six weeks until verification. Does this put me at a disadvantage or am I over reacting sdn style?

I think you're overreacting, just like I was overreacting with my "in the game" comment. I was trying to say that I felt like I'm late submitting my AACOMAS, but at least things will start to roll now that I submitted. I'm pretty sure we'll both be okay though. haha, relax.

P.S. - love the avatar :laugh:

That is the main problem. Rule is that new course should be equal or more in credit. But. in my case, credit hours are different (due to sem/quarter conversion). If I combine both quarters, it becomes larger, but then you cannot replace one course with two.

So basically, I can never replase this grade, without goin to another university with sem system, and repeating course there? I hope there is another way.

Thanks

Lol. Ok. I feel like we all will need some talk therapy after this Haha.

Hopefully this hasn't already been answered... if I re-take a course, but at a different school, will AACOMAS figure that out and do the GPA calculation correctly?

Can someone explain me how do you actually send out the LoR for DO schools? I looked at the instructions and it says I have to do it individually to EACH school... But it doesn't tell me when when do I have to do it. I looked at PCOM website and they dont have that info either. Btw, I'm using interfolio for the LoRs.

Btw, can someone clarify something for me? On PCOM's website it says:
Applicants are required to submit a letter of recommendation from the premedical committee or premedical advisor of the undergraduate college that grants or will grant a bachelor's degree, regardless of your academic major, course of study or graduation. If that is not possible, a letter from your academic advisor or Dean of the same institution may substitute.

What if I don't have a committee letter or a letter from my premedical advisor, or one from my academic advisor or Dean? I have only from professors that I had classes with. Would schools reject me on the spiot for not having one even though my school has a committee?

Last edited:
Hi, I wanted to ask about my EMT-b experience. I noticed in AACOMAS has two different sections for work experiences and volunteer activities. I started as a volunteer EMT-B, which lasted for about a year, and began a paid part-time position for the same organization a few months ago. Would I post this into both sections? I know that for the AMCAS, you are supposed to combine them as one entry, but they also group work and volunteer under extracurricular. Thanks

If I were you I would just post them all under work experience. Either way, I would put them under one or the other but not both.

Letters do need to be sent to each school individually, your letters are sent in after you receive secondary applications. So don't send them with your primary application. Sending in letters can be a complicated task if you tried to get your writers to send them to each school, but it can be made very simple. Most schools will allow you to use delivery services like Interfolio to manage your letters for you. How interfolio works is you sign up for an account and pay a membership fee, then you can send letter requests to your letter writers through interfolio for a confidential reference letter (make sure to waive you rights to see the letter). Your letter writers will get the requests which have all the information for them to submit your letters to interfolio. When its time for you to send your letters to the different schools you simply select the letters you want send and select the schools you want them sent to and interfolio sends them off all at once. This makes the process veryeasy for your letter writers and easier for you to. As far as the committee letter goes most schools will let you submit a letter from another physician or Science professor to substitute for it. You might want to call PCOM and ask them specifically. Hope this helps good luck!

So how does grade replacement work? On AACOMAS, I see an UNOFFICIAL cumulative and science GPA, but does that figure the retake(I only retook 1 class) into it? Or will this be done during verification?

just started a new job a week ago.. one month's still training..shud i add it into my aacomas work history?

Hey all, looking for some advice from service members who have gone through/are going through the app process. I have emailed AACOMAS on this problem as well. I'm attempting to get my army transcripts sent to AACOMAS through the aarts website, but AACOMAS isn't listed as a possibility to be sent to. When clicking the option to add an institution it asks for a point of contact. Does anyone know who this is? Please feel free to pm me if that is not info that is supposed to be open for all to see. I have gone into the AACOM staff directory and have found some possibilities but am not sure who to put.

So to all service members, how did you go about getting your aarts transcripts sent to AACOMAS? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: The aarts site says that a OPEID code is required as well as a state. There is no DC option in the state box and I called AACOMAS who told me that there is no OPEID code for AACOMAS

I'm getting confused now. How exactly am I suppose to enter the name of my courses in the coursework section? I do not have the official transcript but I do have an unofficial transcript from eSims (not sure if you guys know what that is).

The names on the unofficial transcript differ from the actual full names (from the course bulletin).
E.g. "Intro Principles of Art" versus "Introduction to the Visual Arts of the World"
"Phys-functnl Anat 2 " versus "Physiology and Functional Anatomy II"

Which naming method should I use? If the names turn out to be slightly different from the actual transcript, how long would they delay your application to verify everything? Would they go as far as rejecting your application?

Thanks

It was suggested by a knowledgeable member that some D.O. programs use your combined (undergrad and grad) GPA as your application GPA.

I have already submitted to AACOMAS, and I am aware that on the application undergrad non-science, undergrad science, and total GPA's are calculated. I am specifically asking for the names of schools that used the total GPA number as your application number. Please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited:
None, as they all use the same application program and it separates grad and undergrad gpa.

You misunderstood the question.

The application also gives a combined GPA. I am told that certain schools use the total GPA as your application GPA. I am looking for the identity of those schools.

Thanks

The easiest thing to do is to have your official transcript sent to you so you can see exactly what the course name is.

I'm getting confused now. How exactly am I suppose to enter the name of my courses in the coursework section? I do not have the official transcript but I do have an unofficial transcript from eSims (not sure if you guys know what that is).

The names on the unofficial transcript differ from the actual full names (from the course bulletin).
E.g. "Intro Principles of Art" versus "Introduction to the Visual Arts of the World"
"Phys-functnl Anat 2 " versus "Physiology and Functional Anatomy II"

Which naming method should I use? If the names turn out to be slightly different from the actual transcript, how long would they delay your application to verify everything? Would they go as far as rejecting your application?

Thanks

I think serenade is right. Some may look at your grad GPA and weigh it more heavily than others, but I don't think any straight up combine the two.

The application already "straight up combine(s) the two.

Ok, which schools weigh the combined more heavily?

Last edited:
The application already "straight up combine(s) the two.

Ok, which schools weigh the combined more heavily?

I really don't think anyone can answer that question. I'd call some of the DO schools you're interested in attending and see if they consider graduate gpa highly. I can tell you right now though, that if your program wasn't a hard science, then they probably will only consider your graduate school experience to be a good EC and nothing more.

Ok, maybe I'm :beat: here, but to clarify to those who don't know, all schools receive 3 GPAs when you submit your AACOMAS application:

1. Your uGPA (undergraduate GPA) - which is just that.

2. Your sGPA (science GPA) - which obviously includes only your science courses.

3. Your cGPA (cumulative GPA) - which is a combination of every (credit) course you've ever taken, including graduate and/or post-bac

So many of the questions posted on this forum can be answered by simply reading the AACOMAS application instructions:

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/documents/instructions.pdf

Ok, maybe I'm :beat: here, but to clarify to those who don't know, all schools receive 3 GPAs when you submit your AACOMAS application:

2. Your sGPA (science GPA) - which obviously includes only your science courses.

3. Your cGPA (cumulative GPA) - which is a combination of every (credit) course you've ever taken, including graduate and/or post-bac

So many of the questions posted on this forum can be answered by simply reading the AACOMAS application instructions:

That doesn't sound right, or maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with how the MD app works. But in the MD app you have a place for your grad courses and a place for your undergrad courses, there is no mixing at all.

all schools receive 3 GPAs when you submit your AACOMAS application:

I agree. Those were the three GPAs listed on the application that I submitted.
Nine posts later, I am wondering which schools may give weight to the cGPA.
If its on the application, I imagine it may be used for something other than "EC credit."

That doesn't sound right, or maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with how the MD app works. But in the MD app you have a place for your grad courses and a place for your undergrad courses, there is no mixing at all.

On the AACOMAS application, if you have graduate courses, or any courses you took after receiving your undergraduate degree, those are filed under "Post-Bac" and calculated into your cumulative GPA.

I have no experience with the MD application process, so I can't speak to how it's done.

If it helps, I've posted a GPA calculator (originally developed by another SDN member) which I've modified to figure in post-bac courses and automatically calculates the 3 applicable GPAs. See below:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

This is not entirely accurate....
AACOMAS breaks down your GPA in many more ways than that. I am looking at the form the schools printed off from AACOMAS right now. They have your sGPA and cGPA for every year in undergrad, in addition to your cummulative sGPA and cGPA for undergrad overall. They also separate out your graduate sGPA and cGPA and have that calculated. Finally, they have your OVERALL (including all courses ever taken) sGPA and cGPA. In my experience, schools look at all of these numbers, but when they have strict requirements or cut-offs they use the OVERALL values.

Finally, they have your OVERALL (including all courses ever taken) sGPA and cGPA. In my experience, schools look at all of these numbers, but when they have strict requirements or cut-offs they use the OVERALL values.

Thanks this is helpful. So in your opinion, the Overall GPA may be the one they use for screening? That makes sense. Just wondering, what experience are you basing this on please? Please feel free to send me a pm if you would like.

Last edited:
This is not entirely accurate....
AACOMAS breaks down your GPA in many more ways than that. I am looking at the form the schools printed off from AACOMAS right now. They have your sGPA and cGPA for every year in undergrad, in addition to your cummulative sGPA and cGPA for undergrad overall. They also separate out your graduate sGPA and cGPA and have that calculated. Finally, they have your OVERALL (including all courses ever taken) sGPA and cGPA. In my experience, schools look at all of these numbers, but when they have strict requirements or cut-offs they use the OVERALL values.

Not trying to start an argument, but this isn't correct. Haha.

The SCHOOLS, not the AACOMAS "may" look at each of your undergraduate years when analyzing your application, but AACOMAS does not split apart your sGPA and cGPA for each undergraduate year. However, you do have a GPA for each year. Your graduate GPA is also not separated. If you have any graduate courses they will figure into your OVERALL cGPA. If you took science courses in graduate school, they will also calculate into your overall sGPA.

So simply put, as I originally stated, when you submit your application the schools will look at your uGPA, your sGPA, and your overall cGPA, which includes any graduate courses.

However, guydudcl371 is right in saying that the schools will see your GPA for each year if they choose to look that closely, or if you point it out to show grade improvement/progression through the years.

In a hurry to submit my primary apps I forgot to include some ECs...is there a way to fix this???

I think you are SOL. I was under the impression that once you submitted, you can't change. Maybe e-mail or call AACOMAS to see if anything could be done, assuming you aren't verified. This is also assuming you did this very recently and not a couple days ago.

I think you are SOL. I was under the impression that once you submitted, you can't change. Maybe e-mail or call AACOMAS to see if anything could be done, assuming you aren't verified. This is also assuming you did this very recently and not a couple days ago.

Wait, I thought we could change everything except for classes and grades. If we update the app, don't schools get those updates every tuesday of each week?

Thanks this is helpful. So in your opinion, the Overall GPA may be the one they use for screening? That makes sense. Just wondering, what experience are you basing this on please? Please feel free to send me a pm if you would like.

Yes, based on my interviews previously, and how without looking at my overall GPA, I would not have made several cut offs that I did :)

Not trying to start an argument, but this isn't correct. Haha.

The SCHOOLS, not the AACOMAS "may" look at each of your undergraduate years when analyzing your application, but AACOMAS does not split apart your sGPA and cGPA for each undergraduate year. However, you do have a GPA for each year. Your graduate GPA is also not separated. If you have any graduate courses they will figure into your OVERALL cGPA. If you took science courses in graduate school, they will also calculate into your overall sGPA.

So simply put, as I originally stated, when you submit your application the schools will look at your uGPA, your sGPA, and your overall cGPA, which includes any graduate courses.

However, guydudcl371 is right in saying that the schools will see your GPA for each year if they choose to look that closely, or if you point it out to show grade improvement/progression through the years.

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am looking at the form from AACOMAS in front of me...and I have both GPAs not only broken down by each year in undergrad, but even broken down by biology GPA, chemistry GPA, etc. The form in front of me does not lie.