* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, I thought we could change everything except for classes and grades. If we update the app, don't schools get those updates every tuesday of each week?

hopefully you are right. i guess i don't know as I haven't changed anything.

Members don't see this ad.

even if there's no way you can update your primary, you can always let each school know about your new activities, in the form of an email, a letter, or in your secondary.

So the CIB tells you to mention your reason for osteopathy in your personal statement. I already have to cut a lot out of my AMCAS personal statement (which was more general of why medicine?) to fit in the AACOMAS, so I'm wondering how much to write about this.

Like, I could talk about the first time I went to a DO and he fixed my spinal misalignment from rowing through manual manipulation (no great inspirational background story really, though, just that he fixed me) , or I could be more general talking about how I believe a holistic, patient-centered model is not only my own personal philosophy but also heals patients better. I feel like that's really general though.

Anyone want to share how they incorporated the answer to that question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I updated my activities after I submitted my application. The edited applications say "Revised" on top.. which obviously means the edits got through! If you are worried, you could always email/ call each individual school... which is probably unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better, you should do it!

Good luck!

You are in luck!!! I just went through all of this (AGAIN!!!) and figured it out, so hopefully it will be easy for you with this information. So, you first click the "If institution doesn't exist in the list, then please click HERE" Then you get the option to add an institution. Skip the first part with the "Institution information" and go to the second option for "institution POC information". For the name put Aria Kemp, for the phone number put 301-968-4190 and for the e-mail address put [email protected] (This is the POC

So the deal with this (in case you are wondering) is that AARTS went all electronic and AACOMAS and AMCAS want everything on paper still. Last year I was a late applicant and it was the AARTS first year being fully electronic and AACOMAS and AMCAS would not accept their electronic transcripts. I was finally able to convince the AARTS people to mail a copy, but I had to send the pre-addressed pre-paid envelope to them first and it took them about 6 weeks to send them.

So, AACOMAS and AMCAS realized that this process hurt a lot of army veterans so they finally made a deal to allow electronic transcripts ONLY from AARTS.

I called AACOMAS this year and this is the information that I was given and it worked. I hope it works for you as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update on military transcripts. I emailed AACOMAS and they said to request a transcript exemption. I've done that, but if your way is faster, then I'd most definitely prefer that.

To the Mods: anyway we can get this info added to the FAQS? Maybe to the random informative posts? With an addendum to email aacomas to verify information? Thanks.

You are in luck!!! I just went through all of this (AGAIN!!!) and figured it out, so hopefully it will be easy for you with this information. So, you first click the "If institution doesn't exist in the list, then please click HERE" Then you get the option to add an institution. Skip the first part with the "Institution information" and go to the second option for "institution POC information". For the name put Aria Kemp, for the phone number put 301-968-4190 and for the e-mail address put [email protected] (This is the POC

So the deal with this (in case you are wondering) is that AARTS went all electronic and AACOMAS and AMCAS want everything on paper still. Last year I was a late applicant and it was the AARTS first year being fully electronic and AACOMAS and AMCAS would not accept their electronic transcripts. I was finally able to convince the AARTS people to mail a copy, but I had to send the pre-addressed pre-paid envelope to them first and it took them about 6 weeks to send them.

So, AACOMAS and AMCAS realized that this process hurt a lot of army veterans so they finally made a deal to allow electronic transcripts ONLY from AARTS.

I called AACOMAS this year and this is the information that I was given and it worked. I hope it works for you as well.

Good luck!

Update on that. I attempted to follow your instructions, but aarts wouldn't allow me to submit. It told me that all the institution information is required. Guess I'm stuck with the exemption.

I thought I would share this to save someone some stress:
Yesterday I found out my app was rejected because I forgot to add a class, and of course I freaked out. I found the mistake but still called ACOMAS to make sure there were not any more, while I had them on the phone I asked if I was going to have to wait the 3-6 weeks again thinking for sure I was, but I was pleasantly surprised to here they hold your spot! I resubmitted this morning and was verified four hours later.

Good Luck everyone!!

I already submitted my application, but I am no longer planning on taking the MCAT again. I made the changes to my application, but do I have to resubmit? (I tried looking for answers to this on here and in the AACOMAS instructions but I couldn't really find anything on this. I know for AMCAS you have to resubmit).

If the "Official MCATs" section of my AACOMAS application has "no scores on file," does this mean I should re-send my scores from MCAT THx to AACOMAS? According to MCAT THx, my request was complete on 05/09/2011, but the individual schools that I have applied to have NOT received my MCAT scores yet. :S
I'd appreciate any advice/input. Thanks.

If the "Official MCATs" section of my AACOMAS application has "no scores on file," does this mean I should re-send my scores from MCAT THx to AACOMAS? According to MCAT THx, my request was complete on 05/09/2011, but the individual schools that I have applied to have NOT received my MCAT scores yet. :S
I'd appreciate any advice/input. Thanks.

k, got this resolved after sending them a message. I guess it's always good to double check...

Hey guys, I need your advice. My application was verified and I even completed few of my secondaries. However, I realized I did not put all my courses and school in my application.
I know it was a very stupid mistake I made, but I went to a college over 7yrs ago and only attended one semester; so basically I had completely forgotten that I attended another college when I filled out my application. I was just too busy to finish my application early so I have a better chance.
Should I withdraw my application and reapply again? Or would my application be too late by then? Do I need to repay all the application fees? What do you think is the best option?
Help!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I jeapodized my chances and integrity by doing this so late?

e-mail AACOMAS. they will be able to help you the most.

Don't withdraw, email, but I'm surprised aacomas didn't catch it, I thought that was the whole point of verifying your app.

So the CIB tells you to mention your reason for osteopathy in your personal statement. I already have to cut a lot out of my AMCAS personal statement (which was more general of why medicine?) to fit in the AACOMAS, so I'm wondering how much to write about this.

Like, I could talk about the first time I went to a DO and he fixed my spinal misalignment from rowing through manual manipulation (no great inspirational background story really, though, just that he fixed me) , or I could be more general talking about how I believe a holistic, patient-centered model is not only my own personal philosophy but also heals patients better. I feel like that's really general though.

Anyone want to share how they incorporated the answer to that question?

I didn't mention it at all in my PS, but I talked about it with my LOR writer and He did incorporate the reasons I wanted to be a D.O. I also used the secondaries to elaborate on "Why D.O."

Should be no problem if they handle things the same as they did last year. As the cycle went on and I had taken additional classes I added them to my AACOMAS and they automatically updated my application and resubmitted a copy to each school I applied to. I even verified it by calling 2 of the schools since the app you see on the website will not be updated. It's an honest mistake and I wouldn't worry about the schools frowning on it.

I had to have my application undelivered because I had to add some required classes that I had overlooked (darn quarter to semester conversion!). Anyways my question is that does this now put me to the back of the pack and the "three to six week" time frame resets or am I still where I was prior to requesting the kick out?

Scenario: I took a 5 Credit General Chemistry I lecture/lab course at my first university and performed poorly. I retook General Chemistry as a lecture with 3 Credits and a Lab with 2 Credits at another university and did well. How do I work the grade replacement system on AACOMAS to show the retake? I've searched as many threads as I can for the answer!

Scenario: I took a 5 Credit General Chemistry I lecture/lab course at my first university and performed poorly. I retook General Chemistry as a lecture with 3 Credits and a Lab with 2 Credits at another university and did well. How do I work the grade replacement system on AACOMAS to show the retake? I've searched as many threads as I can for the answer!

I had a similar question before. I took a 5 credit combined lecture and lab in engineering physics (did poorly) and then took a 4 credit regular physics class that had a 1 credit lab separate. I just listed it as a retake and it stayed that way.

Granted, my situation was a little different in that these classes were both taken at the same university, but I think if you just proceed to list your chem class as a retake, they'll accept it.

This happened to one of my bio class retake with 3 units of lecture and 1 unit of lab. What I did was I just listed the class as a 4-unit class on AACOMAS since I got the same grade in both lecture and lab. But if you got different grades for lecture and lab, then I don't know how it works and you might want to contact AACOMAS for instruction.

I apologize if this was answered elsewhere. I searched without success. Where and how do I enter AP classes and credits into AACOMAS? Thanks so much.

Can you add schools to the list on AACOMAS after you have sent it? The instructions aren't very clear on this issue.

Can you add schools to the list on AACOMAS after you have sent it? The instructions aren't very clear on this issue.

I actually did this yesterday haha. You can, but it is $50 instead of the normal price

I know I need to email AACOMAS for the answer....
but in the meantime:

I was just accepted to Tulane's One Year Masters. I submitted my primary a few weeks ago and have not yet been verified. Tulane is not listed on my primary since I was just accepted a few days ago...

Anyone know if I email AACOMAS if they will just add it to my primary? If I am verified in the next couple days would I need to let each school know individually?

Thanks in advance.

If I add another school after I submitted, will it delay my application from being verified? In other words, will it increase the processing time? Thanks.

i'm new to this forum...but i was just wondering if my app says its "processing" what exactly does that mean? are they checking my grades and what not to make sure everything matches up? and if this is the case, how long do i have to wait in order for my app to be verified and sent over to the schools so i can start on secondaries? i had to message AACOMAS twice just to get them to update me on whether or not they had received all my transcripts which was holding my whole application up. very frustrating!

i'm new to this forum...but i was just wondering if my app says its "processing" what exactly does that mean? are they checking my grades and what not to make sure everything matches up? and if this is the case, how long do i have to wait in order for my app to be verified and sent over to the schools so i can start on secondaries? i had to message AACOMAS twice just to get them to update me on whether or not they had received all my transcripts which was holding my whole application up. very frustrating!

Yeah, I think that's what happens. They check to see you listed your courses correct and everything matches up with your transcript. Did you just turn everything in? If that's the case, it might take up to 6 weeks. I turned my stuff in by june 24 and didnt get verified until July 18th.

Anyone know what to do?!?!

I just got accepted to a Master's program and already submitted my primary. I am not yet verified. I emailed AACOMAS and they opened my application up again for my to add my Master's program.

However, under "colleges and coursework" I have to list my courses and request a transcript. I haven't registered for classes yet and I won't have a transcript until Dec. I called AACOMAS and they said that since I don't have any classes to list that I can't put my Master's program on my application.

Sooo...should I wait until I register for classes to add that my to primary and resubmit it (and once again wait to be verified)? Or leave my primary as it is and email my schools once they receive my primary and update them on my Master's program??

If I submitted my payment to AACOMAS last week and it is processing, does it delay anything if I change hours on my shadowing or lab time in the application itself? I just want the app to be released to schools ASAP and if that means not updating hours then I'll deal with it.. Thoughts anyone?

Anyone know what to do?!?!

I just got accepted to a Master's program and already submitted my primary. I am not yet verified. I emailed AACOMAS and they opened my application up again for my to add my Master's program.

However, under "colleges and coursework" I have to list my courses and request a transcript. I haven't registered for classes yet and I won't have a transcript until Dec. I called AACOMAS and they said that since I don't have any classes to list that I can't put my Master's program on my application.

Sooo...should I wait until I register for classes to add that my to primary and resubmit it (and once again wait to be verified)? Or leave my primary as it is and email my schools once they receive my primary and update them on my Master's program??

this is unclear to me as well. I am taking a masters this fall, and don't know how or whether to even include it. I don't want to be delayed because they require a transcript or something, but how do you enter in coursework and indicate it is future coursework so they don't require a transcript?

Just enter in the dates Aug 11-Aug 12? Is there any specific place to indicate this is future coursework and will they verify my application even though they seem to require a transcript from this before?? Or should I just leave my future masters work off and tell individual schools on secondaries

this is unclear to me as well. I am taking a masters this fall, and don't know how or whether to even include it. I don't want to be delayed because they require a transcript or something, but how do you enter in coursework and indicate it is future coursework so they don't require a transcript?

Just enter in the dates Aug 11-Aug 12? Is there any specific place to indicate this is future coursework and will they verify my application even though they seem to require a transcript from this before?? Or should I just leave my future masters work off and tell individual schools on secondaries

I tried to just enter the date for August '11 to May '12 but as soon as you enter a school on the app, it wants a transcript. I don't know about entering classes as future coursework because I haven't even registered for classes yet.
I am leaving my masters work off and indicating it on emails/secondaries. I dont think it is worth it to wait any longer to figure it out because I need to be verified.

If I submitted my payment to AACOMAS last week and it is processing, does it delay anything if I change hours on my shadowing or lab time in the application itself? I just want the app to be released to schools ASAP and if that means not updating hours then I'll deal with it.. Thoughts anyone?

Applications can take up to 6 weeks to be verified and then sent to schools. So as it stands right now, it will probably be late august when you are verified.

I don't know what will happen if you change your application after it is submitted but before it is verified. My guess is that the application that AACOMAS is reviewing will remain the same (when I wanted to add my masters program I had to email them so they could re-open my application for me)

I have submitted my primary in early July and it says "Application Status: Submitted to AACOMAS". Does it say "processing" for some of you who are waiting for it to be verified?

I have submitted my primary in early July and it says "Application Status: Submitted to AACOMAS". Does it say "processing" for some of you who are waiting for it to be verified?

Yes....
look right above the checklist of "Application Submitted, Transcripts Received, Payment Received." That is where your actual status is. It will say "Current: xxxxx"
"Submitted to AACOMAS" just means you turn in your application, not that it is verified.

I would to get an idea of approximately how far AACOMAS is down the list. I submitted on 7/2 and am not verified...whats the latest someone submitted and has been verified?

I would to get an idea of approximately how far AACOMAS is down the list. I submitted on 7/2 and am not verified...whats the latest someone submitted and has been verified?

Well, good news for you. Someone who submitted on 6/29 got verified on 7/25, so that means yours should be verified pretty soon :)

Well, good news for you. Someone who submitted on 6/29 got verified on 7/25, so that means yours should be verified pretty soon :)

Was me. They seem to be coming along nicely. I suspect 7/2 submissions should be verified by early next week (unless they work on the weekend???)

My Pre-Med Committee Letter Office needs a "General Status Page" to be sent with the verified application summary. Does anyone know how to access this or if it even exists? The only thing I've seen is the View Application Summary link which gives the whole application.

Thanks!

If I have research experience but it was volunteer, where should that go? In the work section or the activities section?

Hey guys,

The AACOMAS doesn't have an option for Exercise Science. What do you think is the best classification? There are options for "Science, oth phy", "Science, oth bio", and "kinesiology". What do you guys think is the best?