* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just hit apply on my application but my transcripts have been in for awhile. Does this speed verification along?

Nope. They don't even start to look at your application until everything is in and submitted. Expect to wait 3-4 weeks to be verified.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you list shadowing on AACOMAS? As in the format

ex.

Doctor's name
Specialty
address
Time shadowing

Like that?

How do you list shadowing on AACOMAS? As in the format

ex.

Doctor's name
Specialty
address
Time shadowing

Like that?

I just talked about the experience in general. Listed his name, his specialties, and how it affected my decision to pursue medicine. Time shadowing can go into the "Total Hours" box. I didn't list any contact information for the Dr. If they want it, they can ask me for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me about a week or so I believe, not that long

thanks for the response! Did you send it recently or was that in June? I'm hoping mine takes a week as well, I'm currently only waiting on the fee waiver to submit my application

Is it considered late to apply to DO? I submitted my app yesterday and was wondering if I should have my transcripts rushed/overnighted? (this will also be a little expensive)

I just released my the MCAT scores to AACOMAS so it takes about 48 hours (or so they say on the MCAT history page). Should I submit my application pronto or should I wait to finally see those mcat scores appear under "Official MCATs" tab before I do anything? :confused: :sleep::cool::D:):luck::xf:

not asking whether I can do it but whether I should. Important IMHO.
I'm assuming you are talking about the primary. If so submit now. I submitted on June 1st and didn't take my MCAT until June 16th. It's going to take a while to get verified at this point anyway (3-6 weeks, maybe longer).

Is it considered late to apply to DO? I submitted my app yesterday and was wondering if I should have my transcripts rushed/overnighted? (this will also be a little expensive)

If I understand correctly... they don't start processing your application until your transcript is in. So you may want to consider it! ;)

If you are serious about applying this cycle, overnight them! It's getting "late" and you will want to start getting verified ASAP. Look in each school's 2011-2012 thread and pre-write secondaries for the schools you love the most because they will need to be turned in with haste.

I noticed a couple minor mistakes on my activity descriptions (rushed to meet the fee waiver deadline) - I just submitted so won't be verified for a few weeks. Can we change these things and press save? or does this not do anything?

Edited to apparently yes.

This was my mistake, forgot which forum I was in, AMCAS does NOT allow you to change after submission.

Opps, guess I'm human time to pick a new career path :(

Last edited:
No.

Once you click submit, and then the 100 confirmation messages (wonder they they are there??) you are stuck with whatever you entered. Sorry

This is completely false. I have revised/updated my application and it was re-released to each school as "Revised" after 2-3 days later. If you're not verified yet, you still have plenty of time to update and revise your activities (but you cannot update your college and courwork info. unless you write to them).

See below:

Question:
A quick question on updating information on the application that has been submitted and verified. What happens if work and extracurricular activities are update after the verification and the subsequent release to school?

Reponse from AACOMAS:
Any updates you make to your application will be sent to the colleges.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also edited my primary application after I submitted.. don't know why the first person said it wasn't possible...

Yea I've updated my AACOMAS at least 2-3 times since I submitted it. Everytime, the edits show up on the PDF for each school when I click on it.

If I plan on taking classes during this fall 2011 semester and I have entered them into the AACOMAS application, do I have to send them a copy of my new transcript (different transcript since I'm doing a second degree)? The application says that they have yet to recieve the second transcript but I have not even been able to register to the classes yet (will do it this week due to some problems on their part). Would this get the verification process delayed?

Thanks

If I plan on taking classes during this fall 2011 semester and I have entered them into the AACOMAS application, do I have to send them a copy of my new transcript (different transcript since I'm doing a second degree)? The application says that they have yet to recieve the second transcript but I have not even been able to register to the classes yet (will do it this week due to some problems on their part). Would this get the verification process delayed?

Thanks

Did you enter the classes as "Planned" courses? Send a message to AACOMAS support and see what they say.

Did you enter the classes as "Planned" courses? Send a message to AACOMAS support and see what they say.

Yes, they were entered as planned. The only thing that worries me is the "Transcript #2 Not Received" in bold on the summary section.

I just submitted my application. Transcripts are on the way. Should I start having letters sent to the schools now or wait until I get a secondary request?

I just submitted my application. Transcripts are on the way. Should I start having letters sent to the schools now or wait until I get a secondary request?

I'd like to know this as well. Though, for me, my mcat scores don't come in until mid- September. I'm already verified and working on a few secondaries. Thanks.

I'd like to know this as well. Though, for me, my mcat scores don't come in until mid- September. I'm already verified and working on a few secondaries. Thanks.

Wait for secondary invites before sending LORs.

Hi -- sorry to sound like a boob, but I am looking at my *just* submitted AACOMAS application and can't see my calculated GPAs on it. where are they supposed to be?? do I have to call someone to get them?

Hi -- sorry to sound like a boob, but I am looking at my *just* submitted AACOMAS application and can't see my calculated GPAs on it. where are they supposed to be?? do I have to call someone to get them?

You have to wait to get verified. Then when they release your application to the schools, you can get a PDF copy and it'll list your GPA in like 10 different ways.

frosh sgpa, frosh cgpa, frosh overall gpa, soph sgpa.. etc etc.

You have to wait to get verified. Then when they release your application to the schools, you can get a PDF copy and it'll list your GPA in like 10 different ways.

frosh sgpa, frosh cgpa, frosh overall gpa, soph sgpa.. etc etc.

Hmmm, that's confusing. I just copied my app over from last year, and nothing has changed, so it's saying that I'm already verified. Will they verify it again?

Hmmm, that's confusing. I just copied my app over from last year, and nothing has changed, so it's saying that I'm already verified. Will they verify it again?

Oh I have no idea. You could just wait til next Tues/Wed when they send your app to the schools and there will be a PDF link that has your calculated GPAs on it. Otherwise, call/email AACOMAS support?

Oh I have no idea. You could just wait til next Tues/Wed when they send your app to the schools and there will be a PDF link that has your calculated GPAs on it. Otherwise, call/email AACOMAS support?

Yes, I guess I wait. I looked at my 2011 app, figuring that the PDF should have it, but no GPAs there, either. frowny face.

waiting . . .

So AACOMAS received my fee waiver request on 8/2, I called them and they said it could take up to 3 weeks but my app is ready to be submitted. Does anyone know if I submit without the fee waiver, and then I receive the fee waiver later, can I still get the secondary apps fee waived?

Sorry, I made a pathetic attempt to search for this... but can someone kindly tell me where to find the verified GPA on the aacomas site?

Is it in the pdf after the schools received the primary?

Thanks.

Sorry, I made a pathetic attempt to search for this... but can someone kindly tell me where to find the verified GPA on the aacomas site?

Is it in the pdf after the schools received the primary?

Thanks.

Dr. Willy answered this a few posts up. It's in the .pdf :thumbup:

I accidentally put down 3.0 credits for a physics course and 3.0 credits for an inorganic chemistry course. I checked AACOMAS and the documents released to schools say that I am 1.0 credit deficient for each. They each had a lab component, but I accidentally noted 3.0 credits instead of 4.0 credits.

Should I be concerned?

I submitted my AACOM application on 7/28, but just realized that I never explicitly put physician shadowing in my extracurricular section. I mention it in my personal statement, and I mention that I work with doctors in my work experience. A couple of my LORs are from physicians, but schools obviously haven't received my letters yet.

My question is, is it too late to make any changes to my application? It is still in the "submitted to AACOMAS" stage and based on the generic 4 week verification timeline, I have a couple of weeks. If I do make changes, will it further delay my application processing?!

Please let me know if this is possible?!?!

I accidentally put down 3.0 credits for a physics course and 3.0 credits for an inorganic chemistry course. I checked AACOMAS and the documents released to schools say that I am 1.0 credit deficient for each. They each had a lab component, but I accidentally noted 3.0 credits instead of 4.0 credits.

Should I be concerned?

Not really sure how big of a deal it is... but since it is your application, you should call the schools and let them know about the situation.

I submitted my AACOM application on 7/28, but just realized that I never explicitly put physician shadowing in my extracurricular section. I mention it in my personal statement, and I mention that I work with doctors in my work experience. A couple of my LORs are from physicians, but schools obviously haven't received my letters yet.

My question is, is it too late to make any changes to my application? It is still in the "submitted to AACOMAS" stage and based on the generic 4 week verification timeline, I have a couple of weeks. If I do make changes, will it further delay my application processing?!

Please let me know if this is possible?!?!

From what I understand from previous posts here, you can change any part of your AACOMAS after submission, where in other applications like AMCAS/TMDSAS you can only change your contact info/demographics.

So go ahead and try adding shadowing experience to your work/activities, and resubmitting your AACOMAS. Although, if it was already listed under your work experience... I don't see why you would add it again. Just put shadowing in the description box if it's already in your work experience.

When you resubmit, it won't start over from scratch. You'll have to check all those boxes again, and submit... but you don't have to pay anything. So I assume that you'll still only have 2 weeks of waiting left.

Hope this helps. :)

From what I understand from previous posts here, you can change any part of your AACOMAS after submission, where in other applications like AMCAS/TMDSAS you can only change your contact info/demographics.

So go ahead and try adding shadowing experience to your work/activities, and resubmitting your AACOMAS. Although, if it was already listed under your work experience... I don't see why you would add it again. Just put shadowing in the description box if it's already in your work experience.

When you resubmit, it won't start over from scratch. You'll have to check all those boxes again, and submit... but you don't have to pay anything. So I assume that you'll still only have 2 weeks of waiting left.

Hope this helps. :)

You don't resubmit. Just make the changes and save the section. The next time AACOMAS sends out the applications (every Tuesday) it will be changed.

You don't resubmit. Just make the changes and save the section. The next time AACOMAS sends out the applications (every Tuesday) it will be changed.

O shoot... I edited my app a few days ago. If I did resubmit, does that mean I have to wait another 4 weeks? SHOOOOT

Not really sure how big of a deal it is... but since it is your application, you should call the schools and let them know about the situation.

You're not gonna get rejected, but you should get it fixed ASAP. It will be a much bigger problem if you try to matriculate and then they're like, "Dude. You need another physics hour."

O shoot... I edited my app a few days ago. If I did resubmit, does that mean I have to wait another 4 weeks? SHOOOOT

Just in case other people were in my situation... I emailed AACOMAS last night, and they replied this morning saying that resubmitting did not affect my verification timeline.

Wheww.... :oops:

Can I submit my application even though all my transcripts aren't in yet?

What did you guys do for recommendations?

Did you have your pre-health medical adviser mail out your recs to each school individually? (My adviser is asking me to gather all the addresses and put it on a shipping label and give it to her....) Or did you set up an Interfolio account? its like $19 plus $6 base for each rec/packet [?].

Please let me know.

What did you guys do for recommendations?

Did you have your pre-health medical adviser mail out your recs to each school individually? (My adviser is asking me to gather all the addresses and put it on a shipping label and give it to her....) Or did you set up an Interfolio account? its like $19 plus $6 base for each rec/packet [?].

Please let me know.

Definitely use interfolio. It's so much more efficient and so much easier!!! I think it's worth it.

If you're not familiar with osteopathic schools... you submit your LOR with your secondary (not primary). Therefore, have you're premed advisor mail one copy of your recs (I assume you mean your committee letter?) to interfolio. Interfolio will receive your letter and upload it onto your account. From there, you can electronically send your LOR to the schools you wish.

This saves a lot of stress when dealing with envelopes/stamps/postal service losing your envelope issues. lol. :thumbup:

Hey guys I'm retaking my MCAT next week on Tuesday and as soon I'm done with that, I was hoping to get my application submitted asap but right now I'm a bit worried since it seems pretty late in the cycle already. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Hey guys I'm retaking my MCAT next week on Tuesday and as soon I'm done with that, I was hoping to get my application submitted asap but right now I'm a bit worried since it seems pretty late in the cycle already. What do you guys think? Thanks.

It's probably in the average-to-late stage right now. It's difficult to comment without your stats, but assuming you have great stats and ECs then you may get an interview.

Hi, I've already submitted my AACOMAS app but I just decided I want to re-take a class...is there any way I can edit my planned coursework? There doesnt seem to be an option to...

My primary was released last Tuesday and I received tons of secondary the next day as expected. However, there's several schools that I haven't heard from (Like TUCOM-NY and TUCOM-Henderson). I know I satisfy the minimum and they are not regionally biased. Now, how long should I wait before calling the school?

The course number doesn't matter. I took Chem2A at the first college and retook it at another with the name Chem401, huge difference, and I still got it marked as repeat. As long as the course discription is close enough then you are fine. To me, these two looks pretty similar, both being beginning genetics.

took Intro to Genetics 201 (4cr) at college A. At my current college the only similar course is General Genetics 311 (4cr). The credit hours match up but the course numbers are different.

Course Descriptions:

Genetics 201- Introductory course addressing theory and use of genetics in the biological sciences.

General Genetics 311- Basic principles of heredity and modern developments in this field.

Do you think aacomas would find the second course acceptable for a grade replacement?

Does anyone know how long it takes for schools to reflect that AACOMAS has your official MCAT scores? My application processed about 2 weeks ago, before my MCAT score was released. AACOMAS has had my official MCAT scores since at least Monday, but as of this morning I am still getting emails from schools telling me that there decision is being deferred until they get my MCAT scores.

Once they get my MCAT scores, they should look at my application again, right? I mean, they don't tend to let deferred applications just sit?

Does anyone know how long it takes for schools to reflect that AACOMAS has your official MCAT scores? My application processed about 2 weeks ago, before my MCAT score was released. AACOMAS has had my official MCAT scores since at least Monday, but as of this morning I am still getting emails from schools telling me that there decision is being deferred until they get my MCAT scores.

Once they get my MCAT scores, they should look at my application again, right? I mean, they don't tend to let deferred applications just sit?

Same question...hopefully someone can chime in please