2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hear anything yet from 3/18 interview group? Getting nervous here...:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I have a random question.

Does anyone know post-acceptance what grades students have to maintain to keep their acceptance? Is it just pass all your classes? I know UF was a bit ambiguous and said something along the lines of "Must keep performing at the same academic level"... somewhat worried.

After maintaining a 3.8 gpa, I got a 3.2 my last semester, and no one said a peep. Short of killing somebody or dipping well below a 3.0, I doubt anybody would make much of a fuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone who interviewed 3/18 hear from Leila yet? I thought she said we'd hear by this afternoon..

To everyone interviewing tomorrow, goodluck!!!

Met some nice people at interview lunch today. You're all probably sweating it out right now, but I'm sending good vibes.

Just got done with interview day. Never thought I'd say it, but I almost don't care whether I get in or not because both of my interviews were so enjoyable. (Though, obviously, I do rather care whether I get in or not.)

Just got done with interview day. Never thought I'd say it, but I almost don't care whether I get in or not because both of my interviews were so enjoyable. (Though, obviously, I do rather care whether I get in or not.)

I'm 90% sure I sat next to you at lunch.

ohgodmycover'sblown

Glad to hear your interviews went well.

I pretty much only read this thread in the four days or so before block exams.

I regret nothing.

Just got placed on the Hold list.

God damn this life.

Does anyone know when financial aid information will start coming out?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be a while. If I remember correctly, I didn't get any sort of financial aid package until July or something last year.

It's going to be a while. If I remember correctly, I didn't get any sort of financial aid package until July or something last year.

For financial aid we just submit a FAFSA and the form sent by the fin aid office right?

Does anyone know whether class attendance is mandatory or if we can just watch the lectures online?

Just got placed on the Hold list.

God damn this life.

Don't fret too much, many members of our class were placed on the Hold list. A couple didn't even get in until late in the summer!

Does anyone know whether class attendance is mandatory or if we can just watch the lectures online?

Lectures aren't mandatory, but attendance is "strongly recommended" by the professors. I show up for lecturers that are good at teaching the material, and usually I'll stay home for the lecturers that aren't so great. I'd say about 50-60% attendance is around average, more show up immediately after exams, fewer show up the week of an exam.

Don't fret too much, many members of our class were placed on the Hold list. A couple didn't even get in until late in the summer!

I'm on hold at UF and I got accepted at a school that starts in the summer. I want to go to UF, but I can't "not" go to the other school because of hope of acceptance at UF. If UF accepted me after my classes started, it would be rather pointless I would think.

For financial aid we just submit a FAFSA and the form sent by the fin aid office right?

Fafsa with parents info, and the institutional forms sent from fin. Aid office.......per my conversation with the fin aid office, award letter go out befginning of may

I'm on hold at UF and I got accepted at a school that starts in the summer. I want to go to UF, but I can't "not" go to the other school because of hope of acceptance at UF. If UF accepted me after my classes started, it would be rather pointless I would think.

I'm pretty sure that most of the "hold" list will hear a decision in mid-April or late May. They specifically mentioned the mid-April thing on my interview day, and at least some people will probably give up spots by May 15th since no one's allowed to hold more than one acceptance after that.

By the way, does anyone know where we're supposed to send update letters?

This was the exact situation I was in. I had already made a $400 deposit on a place in Tally. I finally got the call on the 17th of May, the day before I was going to start packing.

I got lucky though, but if UF had called me a month later, I would have had to pass. It sucks, but there really isn't any other choice.

This was the exact situation I was in. I had already made a $400 deposit on a place in Tally. I finally got the call on the 17th of May, the day before I was going to start packing.

I got lucky though, but if UF had called me a month later, I would have had to pass. It sucks, but there really isn't any other choice.

So do you think that you did not get your financial aid info until July since you were accepted mid May, or did majority of UF students not get there info till then as well?

I was accepted in November, so July seems like a long time to wait for a response especially when it is important factor in deciding which school to attend :(

So do you think that you did not get your financial aid info until July since you were accepted mid May, or did majority of UF students not get there info till then as well?

I was accepted in November, so July seems like a long time to wait for a response especially when it is important factor in deciding which school to attend :(

It's been a while (and I have learned oh so many new facts to soon forget), but I don't think my May acceptance played a role in when I got my financial aid info. I think everybody was in the same boat. You ought to give the financial aid office a call though. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

It's been a while (and I have learned oh so many new facts to soon forget), but I don't think my May acceptance played a role in when I got my financial aid info. I think everybody was in the same boat. You ought to give the financial aid office a call though. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

Yeah I didn't get mine until July and I got accepted in October. I think they just sent it all out at once. I don't know if that's true for this year though, and again, ask the financial aid office if they can give you any information.

Is there a facebook page for accepted students????

Anyone know what the deal is for UF's second look? Have there been 2nd looks in the past and how did students find those to be? I'm looking at you, Neatloaf and cweave.

Does anyone know an exact date when the hold list students will find out? I am on hold, but I got an email this morning to enter the lottery for football tickets...strange.

Does anyone know an exact date when the hold list students will find out? I am on hold, but I got an email this morning to enter the lottery for football tickets...strange.

I'm assuming ~15 April, since I was told mid-April.

I got the same thing. I assumed it's because I'm currently a student and am in their system (despite graduating soon). If you're not currently attending UF, then maybe you're just in the system because your profile has been added to the UF system after applying....but maybe it means a bit more. Who knows?

They didn't give an exact date, just "mid-April". I got the email too but I'm also an undergrad at UF, so I assumed that was the reason...

Anyone know what the deal is for UF's second look? Have there been 2nd looks in the past and how did students find those to be? I'm looking at you, Neatloaf and cweave.

+1

I am a current UF student so I am debating whether I shoud go to second look or not.

I'm pretty sure there was a second look, but it was before I got my May acceptance. So my guess is that it would be late April or early May.

If I remember correctly it was in May sometime (around May 6 or 7, which was frustrating because I essentially had to make the quick turnaround and decide which school I wanted to go to). It was, however, instrumental in helping me pick UF as the school I wanted to go to.

Second look is may 6 and 7........unfortunately i will not be able to attend :(

Second look is may 6 and 7........unfortunately i will not be able to attend :(

Yes, Second Look is May 6 and 7. I received an email last week with an invitation to "Accepted Students Weekend" and they asked us to RSVP by the end of this week. They also said they would pay for transportation and hotel but I think this is through the Office of Minority Affairs. Did no one else receive the email about the Second Look though?

Yes, Second Look is May 6 and 7. I received an email last week with an invitation to "Accepted Students Weekend" and they asked us to RSVP by the end of this week. They also said they would pay for transportation and hotel but I think this is through the Office of Minority Affairs. Did no one else receive the email about the Second Look though?

The last email I received was on 2/24 titled "Second Look for UF COM Inquiry" notifying me that the second look changed to May 6th and 7th and a link to survey monkey to indicate if I would be able to attend. I RSVP'd then and haven't heard from UF since that correspondence.

I received that email as well. But I'm assuming since it's through the Office of Minority Affairs that this particular email was only sent out to minorities. Maybe the Admissions Office will be sending out an additional email soon.

Anyone know the best places to grab a drink in Gainesville?

Has anyone asked where they are on the waitlist at UF? I forget if we are allowed to call and ask. Does anyone know?

Is UF's waitlist even ranked??? I thought, and it may have changed, that UF's waitlist was non ranked. and it is this reason I thought that updates make a difference. i.e. sending updates can help move you up. But this only would happen in non ranked waitlists.

has this changed?

They distinctly said that it was ranked during interview day. They also said that we were free to call and ask to help us with decisions to hold out hope for the school or to move on with the list of offers one might have.

They distinctly said that it was ranked during interview day. They also said that we were free to call and ask to help us with decisions to hold out hope for the school or to move on with the list of offers one might have.

looks like I know who I'm calling tomorrow. Thanks.

The website says the waitlist is non-ranked. Also, we are only "on hold" at this point. In mid-april, some of the on hold applicants will be accepted. The rest will be moved to the alt list. At least this has been my understanding.

Question for current UF med students....

Which books should we buy for first year, particularly for the anatomy courses....???

i have the book list off of the first year website, and i already bought Essential clinical Anatomy (but no web access), but there are NO quiz questions or anything with this book and i am one who really learns by quizzing myself not just reading and re-reading......are there any study guides or question banks or anatomy coloring books, etc... that you guys recommend?? maybe like the BRS or something??

Thanks in advance

The website says the waitlist is non-ranked. Also, we are only "on hold" at this point. In mid-april, some of the on hold applicants will be accepted. The rest will be moved to the alt list. At least this has been my understanding.

They have had unspoken policy changes this year. Their class was full weeks ago. I spoke directly with a member of the Adcom. He said everyone currently on hold will be moved directly to a ranked wait-list and be notified of their general status at some point Mid-April. Big change compared to previous years where they would under accept and then fill class from hold list as usual. As for when that will be and if they really will notify all of us, I have no idea. To be realistic, I wouldn't expect an acceptance here until after May 15th, when most wait-list movement occurs.

They have had unspoken policy changes this year. Their class was full weeks ago. I spoke directly with a member of the Adcom. He said everyone currently on hold will be moved directly to a ranked wait-list and be notified of their general status at some point Mid-April. Big change compared to previous years where they would under accept and then fill class from hold list as usual. As for when that will be and if they really will notify all of us, I have no idea. To be realistic, I wouldn't expect an acceptance here until after May 15th, when most wait-list movement occurs.

Thanks; this is good to know.

I see. Yeah, this is a big change from last year. Thank you for the info!

Question for current UF med students....

Which books should we buy for first year, particularly for the anatomy courses....???

i have the book list off of the first year website, and i already bought Essential clinical Anatomy (but no web access), but there are NO quiz questions or anything with this book and i am one who really learns by quizzing myself not just reading and re-reading......are there any study guides or question banks or anatomy coloring books, etc... that you guys recommend?? maybe like the BRS or something??

Thanks in advance

Docjlud, you referred to a first year website, which one is that? Can you please send me a link. I would highly appreciate it! :D

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.