2010-2011 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was placed on this last semester. I sent them my official transcript because my grades improved. I hope that helps, because I really like Penn State, but I doubt it.

Well, I can't do that, since I graduated back in May 2010. This is my gap year. My grades pretty much are what they are.

I have done more shadowing, research and clinical volunteering, so maybe an update letter is in order.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invitation yesterday. Stats are:
OOS 29R 3.85, somewhat of a nontrad because I'm a first generation American and college student

As fortunate as I am to have gotten an interview with these stats and as much as I want to go to this school, my dad is very sick so I will most likely be denying the offer. I hope one of you waiting gets it!

I got an interview invitation yesterday. Stats are:
OOS 29R 3.85, somewhat of a nontrad because I'm a first generation American and college student

As fortunate as I am to have gotten an interview with these stats and as much as I want to go to this school, my dad is very sick so I will most likely be denying the offer. I hope one of you waiting gets it!

Could you please let us know what date the interview was for?
Was your application on "continued to review" file before you received the interview offer?

My application was put on "continued to review" file since Mid-December 2010 and I have been waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for your update on the application process.

I wish you well for your father.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea what the "Hold List" post interview is like in previous years? Is there much hope for movement? Encouraging stories are always welcomed! (as well as ones not so uplifting...)

I just got put on wait list post interview as well today. If anyone was put on this and then later accepted please post your story. Did you send any updates, if so, what kind of updates. I really want to go here.

Would you mind sharing when you interviewed?

question about Penn State's Curriculum

what are the hospital options for 3rd/4th year rotations? are you allowed to travel to different hospitals?

thanks

So, I was placed on pre-interview hold a few weeks ago, and am really curious if anyone has had luck getting off the list. From what I understand, they aren't interested in update letters, but I really feel like I should do something. This school is sincerely one of two top choice schools for me, and I need a way to communicate that! Any advice appreciated :)
Hopefully I'm not just stuck playing the helpless waiting game...

So, I was placed on pre-interview hold a few weeks ago, and am really curious if anyone has had luck getting off the list. From what I understand, they aren't interested in update letters, but I really feel like I should do something. This school is sincerely one of two top choice schools for me, and I need a way to communicate that! Any advice appreciated :)
Hopefully I'm not just stuck playing the helpless waiting game...

if you really want to do something, then go ahead and write an interest/update letter. that's really all you can do. the worst that will happen is they'll throw it in the trash.

just keep your expectations realistic.

if you really want to do something, then go ahead and write an interest/update letter. that's really all you can do. the worst that will happen is they'll throw it in the trash.

just keep your expectations realistic.

I tried to send them an update letter about a month ago and they sent me an email saying they do not accept update letters. I think the only thing you can send them is official transcripts?

Has anyone wrote a letter of intent that has been put on the wait list? If so, who did you address it to? I am debating on whether to write one or not. Does it really make a difference? I know penn state doesn't rank the wait list so how does it decide who to grant acceptance. When do they normally start accepting those on the wait list?

Read the post above. Penn State DOES NOT accept update letters. Only updated transcripts.

I just got put on wait list post interview as well today. If anyone was put on this and then later accepted please post your story. Did you send any updates, if so, what kind of updates. I really want to go here.

I was placed on hold in late october after interviewing during the first week of September. I didn't send any updates. Completely out of the blue, I received an acceptance packet in the mail today. OOS 3.8/34

I was placed on hold in late october after interviewing during the first week of September. I didn't send any updates. Completely out of the blue, I received an acceptance packet in the mail today. OOS 3.8/34

WOW Congratulations! That's got to be one of the best surprises ever :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please let us know what date the interview was for?
Was your application on "continued to review" file before you received the interview offer?

My application was put on "continued to review" file since Mid-December 2010 and I have been waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for your update on the application process.

I wish you well for your father.

Thanks for your well wishes! This is the only email I got from Penn State after completing my file back in early September. It was completely random!

Interviewed here on January 10th, if you were there with me, I was the guy who was talking a lot who wasn't from Iowa (I already had one acceptance letter to my credit so the weight had been lifted!).

I went in for the interview with a 3.92, 34T, handful of leadership experience and other spangles and baubles, been working for 2 years at Massachusetts General Hospital, beefing up my exposure to doctors, volunteer experience and overall.

Should be hearing from them up or down soon, the 6 week mark is next Monday and that is the earliest they said to expect anything, but here's hoping I get lucky and get that 5th week envelope!

Accepted today via mail! I interviewed 1/14 and I'm IS.

I got the acceptance letter in the mail today!! It really made my day because this school is definitely one of my favorites.

Stats:

Interviewed 1/21
OOS
3.8 GPA
31Q

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Just invited to interview!! :D OOS, 30Q. Earliest interview date was March 7th. I'm really excited to interview here - one of by best friends lives in Hershey!

Just invited to interview!! :D OOS, 30Q. Earliest interview date was March 7th. I'm really excited to interview here - one of by best friends lives in Hershey!

also just received an interview invite, only two dates left, one in march and one in april.

EDIT: are we just interview for WL now or what?

also just received an interview invite, only two dates left, one in march and one in april.

Invite also, but too late to call. What was the March date?

CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!

I currently am on pre-interview hold (my last letter didn't get in until january) and I was wondering what you all thought of my stuff...so here it is:

29Q MCAT 3.6 cum and sci GPA Maryland Resident

NCAA DII Football Player with leadership role
Campus activities board
Student Athlete Advisory commitee member for 3 years president for 1
assorted scholar-athlete accolades
Social Fraternity Member
Academic Fraternity
Academic Honorary Member (phi kappa phi)
Athletic Honorary
Radio DJ for a year
acting on the side
Advisement and Registration/Orientation peer leadership team member 3 years captain for 2
Relay for life participant
Honors program
Research: a toxicology study that is expected to have relevance in the field of human health down the road

I shadowed for 100+ hours in a clinical and surgical setting with a private ortho and a cardio/electrophysiology guy at Hopkins (who actually did the same surgery on me)

Also I am part of a selective group of students in a joint program with West Virginia University specific to medicine

please give me your brutal honest opinion on my chances of getting in...thanks!

Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure... it's certainly likely that it's a waitlist interview, but I'm close enough to make it worth traveling even if the odds aren't in my favor.

Congrats for those who received interview offers!

I am currently put on pre-interview hold. Were you guys put on pre-interview hold as well prior to interview offers?

I am wondering if there is still a chance of getting interview once the applicants are put on pre-interview hold.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And I wish all the best for your interview!!

i was put on pre-interview hold in like november, and just received an interview offer yesterday.

I don't think that I was put on pre-interview hold, but I'm not sure. How would I have found out? Did they notify you through email, snail mail, online status update? I haven't been too great about checking my status, but I never got anything through email/snail mail.

I don't think that I was put on pre-interview hold, but I'm not sure. How would I have found out? Did they notify you through email, snail mail, online status update? I haven't been too great about checking my status, but I never got anything through email/snail mail.

Penn State notified me that my application is put on pre-interview hold through snail mail.

Thanks for letting us know. :D

Wow, seriously? Only two interview dates left at Penn State? Can other ppl who have gotten interview invites confirm this?

Interviewed here on January 10th, if you were there with me, I was the guy who was talking a lot who wasn't from Iowa (I already had one acceptance letter to my credit so the weight had been lifted!).

I went in for the interview with a 3.92, 34T, handful of leadership experience and other spangles and baubles, been working for 2 years at Massachusetts General Hospital, beefing up my exposure to doctors, volunteer experience and overall.

Should be hearing from them up or down soon, the 6 week mark is next Monday and that is the earliest they said to expect anything, but here's hoping I get lucky and get that 5th week envelope!

Silentbull - I was in your interview group! I clearly remember the guy from Iowa, but I'm not sure I recall any other guy who talked a lot. I received my acceptance 2/14 - my first acceptance so far!!! (3.75/35)

I hope you got good news!! Good luck everyone!!!

Is this school still giving out invites?? Been in the cont to hold status forever...is there still hope?

Is this school still giving out invites?? Been in the cont to hold status forever...is there still hope?

No idea, but I hope there is still a chance. I got a pre-interview hold by real mail in a small envelope. Online status says still under review.

I'm not expecting much, but I'd say an invite isn't completely impossible.

Just got the snail-mail "hold" (aka waitlist) letter today after interviewing in Hershey on 1/17... I'm super bummed I didn't get accepted right off the bat, I really liked Penn St. and felt like my interviews went great!

UGH, that makes 3 waitlists now, and no acceptances.... FRUSTRATING! :bang:

I know it's been asked a ton already and probably no one really knows for sure, but is there a lot of movement on the waitlist at Penn St.?? I would really like to go here, and it is just that much more frustrating that they don't accept update letters!

Hi everyone. I just called the office and thought I'd share news. For accepted students, the second visit day is scheduled for April 2. I don't know anything else about it but they will be sending an e-mail or letter out soon.

Hi everyone. I just called the office and thought I'd share news. For accepted students, the second visit day is scheduled for April 2. I don't know anything else about it but they will be sending an e-mail or letter out soon.

Good to know! Thanks for the info! :)

Thanks! I was going to call them this week to ask about that, but you saved me the effort!

I just pushed my interview back from March 7th to March 23rd. I had to reschedule it for spring break or else my English teacher was going to fail me for too many absences :(

So feel free to call the scheduler if you want to move up to March 7th.

AHHH!!! Just got an interview here at Penn State!!!! I know it's late, but I am still stoked!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if we are interviewing for waitlists spots? Or is this for actual acceptance spots???

Love PennState!!!!

AHHH!!! Just got an interview here at Penn State!!!! I know it's late, but I am still stoked!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if we are interviewing for waitlists spots? Or is this for actual acceptance spots???

Love PennState!!!!

Congrats!

Would you mind sharing what the available interview dates were at the moment?
I am also interested in knowing if you were put on pre-interview hold status before getting the interview offer.

Thanks for your update and all the best on your interview! :)

Were you on hold?

Congrats!

Would you mind sharing what the available interview dates were at the moment?
I am also interested in knowing if you were put on pre-interview hold status before getting the interview offer.

Thanks for your update and all the best on your interview! :)

Thanks for the support guys!

Well, I don't think I was ever placed on hold. Does Penn State actually send an email and let us know if we are placed on hold? Or, do they just put you on hold and make you check the website yourself to see your status? I never received any notification about being on hold. So, if I was ever on hold, I had no idea.

I called to check for the potential interview dates, but I am OOS (CA) and the office was already closed. I will definitely call first thing tomorrow morning and update you all on how many interview days are still open. :)

Best of luck to us all :luck:

Are interview invited by mail or email?
Thanks

The interview invitation I received was by E-mail.

So, today I scheduled my interview here at Penn State. The available dates were 3/21, 3/23,3/25. She also said that 3/25 was the last available dates...and that there are STILL open seats available because they do rolling admissions. So, in essence, interviewing in late March, we are still interviewing for an acceptance--not necessarily a waitlist spot!

Best of luck to us all!!! Hang in there guys :)

considering sending them an update to let them know about my adonis DNA and tiger blood...this could work...

Accepted off waitlist today! There is hope people hang in there. OOS, waitlisted 1 month prior

Accepted off waitlist today! There is hope people hang in there. OOS, waitlisted 1 month prior

Congrats nanotech15!! Hope you really enjoyed the chocolate smelling city of Hershey!

Do you think you'll be attending? Or are you still weighing out your options?

Congratulations again!

Congrats nanotech15!! Hope you really enjoyed the chocolate smelling city of Hershey!

Do you think you'll be attending? Or are you still weighing out your options?

Congratulations again!

As of now I will be attending Penn State, but if I get off the waitlist at my state school I will most likely be giving up my spot

Status
Not open for further replies.