2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rejected as well. congrats to all those accepted and good luck to the waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts of a rejected harvard applicant: it was better to have been interviewed and rejected than never been interviewed at all....

Hello. Can someone tell me who sent out the Harvard acceptance letters? Also is the e-mail completely plain text devoid of any Harvard seals or images? Thanks a lot!

.... sketchy.

It's only because the email I received was from Joanne McEvoy, and it didn't bear any official seals or anything. I was just kinda surprised by how plain it looked. Just making sure haha.

It's only because the email I received was from Joanne McEvoy, and it didn't bear any official seals or anything. I was just kinda surprised by how plain it looked. Just making sure haha.

Haha, okay, less sketchy-sounding.

Same letter here. Unless we're both the victims of some horrible prank, I think we can rest easy.

Same letter here. Unless we're both the victims of some horrible prank, I think we can rest easy.

Haha, yea I know but I still can't wait for the letter to come in the mail! Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!

Thoughts of a rejected harvard applicant: it was better to have been interviewed and rejected than never been interviewed at all....

Agreed, but as of now Harvard no longer exists for me.

And maybe it something you can put on your resume if this doctor thing doesn't work out

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people have typically gotten off the waitlist in past years?

It really bothers me that people with lower stats than me get interviews and I don't. Obviously the OP was an URM and yes i know people get defensive about this. I'm white, my father died when i was young and my older sister was on drugs and prostituted herself while my mom struggled working 2 jobs.. But i'm white, so who cares...

Dude just keep you head up, dont let these vain little, self aggrandizing self absorbed losers keep you down. The Medical admissions process has been failing the US for 20 years. The selection of candidates is creating a revolving door of mediocracy. The people who have failed in socienty have taken refuge in the universities to deny people like you a chance. Keep working at it and you will one day get where you want to go. The blurbs about empathy on all these immature bigots posts are only for the admissions committees they dont give a crap about you or their future patients. They are all about themselves and money.

Keep trying and you will get a chance one day!! Hope is for losers!!

Dude just keep you head up, dont let these vain little, self aggrandizing self absorbed losers keep you down. The Medical admissions process has been failing the US for 20 years. The selection of candidates is creating a revolving door of mediocracy. The people who have failed in socienty have taken refuge in the universities to deny people like you a chance. Keep working at it and you will one day get where you want to go. The blurbs about empathy on all these immature bigots posts are only for the admissions committees they dont give a crap about you or their future patients. They are all about themselves and money.

Inb4 the URM debate restarts on the same thread.

I understand that it is pointless to debate affirmative action on SDN and this school-specific thread is not the place to do it, but let me make the following arguments anyway:

1. Most of the individuals opposed to affirmative action on SDN argue against the current system's failure to properly address desert. That is to say, someone will argue something along the lines of "Oh well my black friend whose dad is a cardiologist got an interview at this school even though they had lower stats than me. How is that fair?" This person may come from a disadvantaged background themselves.

This is a trite argument with no clear resolution under the present circumstances. The best people seem to have to offer is anecdotal evidence. Please don't go here unless you provide something more rigorous and compelling (e.g., the median household income of black students admitted to top 25 medical schools vs. that of the average applicant). FYI, studies show GPA and MCAT do not correlate to academic success in the clinical years of medical school for minority applicants.

2. Educational pluralism is a good thing. Meta-reviews of the literature show that all students make cognitive gains as a result of exposure to diversity in higher education (and this is even under the flawed system we presently operate under). Furthermore, groups of diverse problem solvers can outperform groups comprised of the top-performing individuals. See:

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/46/16385.long

Did someone say PBL?

3. Medical school is an avenue to leadership. Public institutions gain legitimacy when the racial/ethnic makeup of its leadership represents that of the larger society. The inclusion of historically marginalized groups in high-level decision making processes can also help remedy social iniquity. Or at least that's what Sandra Day O'Connor thinks.

I am not attempting to take the moral high ground here and I understand that affirmative action policies as they presently exist do not ideally meet the goals described in my arguments.

But as someone who will most likely be screwed over in this admissions process (41 and 3.98 but also Indian and from an upper middle class family), I would like to assert that some type of affirmative action is better than none. Yes, many individuals like the poster I quoted and myself may matriculate at less prestigious institutions, but the absolute moral significance of this aggravation pales in comparison to the societal and educational gains that can be made through affirmative action.

Full disclosure: I was not offered an interview at Harvard.

RE: most recent thread digression topic (but with due props to the well cited response): :bang:

Moving on... Deep Vein Thrombosis, prophylaxis, thrombolytic induced pancytopenia. And disimpaction.

Admissions should follow objective criteria and perhaps some life experiences to level the playing field for everyone. What sense is it to favor a URM with the same stats as a non-URM when the latter may have been disadvantaged instead? Its cool if all the people that got interviews/acceptances had better stats than me, i would think they deserved it. But wtf...

Do most students live in Vandy all four years?

Do most students live in Vandy all four years?

I think Vandy is primarily for first and second-years.

Does anyone else feel like the HMS website looks like it was designed in 1999 and never updated since? It has an amusing lack of snazz.

Admissions should follow objective criteria and perhaps some life experiences to level the playing field for everyone. What sense is it to favor a URM with the same stats as a non-URM when the latter may have been disadvantaged instead? Its cool if all the people that got interviews/acceptances had better stats than me, i would think they deserved it. But wtf...

You seem to miss the big point that stats aren't everything. Just because you have a higher MCAT than someone else doesn't mean you're a better applicant. Also, URMs still comprise a small portion of med students, therefore by using your awesome MCAT critical thinking skills you can assume that URMs must still be competitive to gain acceptances.

P.S.

The bold pretty much describes how this all started.

Last edited:
I think Vandy is primarily for first and second-years.

Does anyone else feel like the HMS website looks like it was designed in 1999 and never updated since? It has an amusing lack of snazz.

lol 100% true. Since when were computer screens so narrow? compare to the quality of http://www.harvard.edu/

I think someone posted multiple times somewhere else that you don't read what other people post before responding. I concur with that person.

To the person who will inevitably post something about this conversation not being relevant to HMS, don't worry I'm out.

Umm back to what the topic at hand is *supposed* to be-- Harvard-- does anyone who is waitlisted know if "Notify us in writing" about whether or not we want to stay on the waiting list really means "send us a letter", or if an email would suffice? Anyone?

Has anyone received the admissions packet yet?

I think someone posted multiple times somewhere else that you don't read what other people post before responding. I concur with that person.

To the person who will inevitably post something about this conversation not being relevant to HMS, don't worry I'm out.

say whatt

Just got a pre-interview rejection email.

Must say, I thought it was extremely well written. I'm more upset now than I have ever been just because I saw how professional they were.

Congrats to those who were good enough to be interviewed, and even more to those who were accepted :)

rejected pre-interview, as well.

I gotta say, this is the only rejection I've received that welcomed my future residency and fellowship applications...

I also just got the pre-interview rejection email. Here is the reply that I sent:

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Thank you for your letter of March 8, 2011. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a place in the Harvard Medical School at this time.
This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of medical school programs, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals. Despite Harvard’s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time. Therefore, I will initiate enrollment in the Harvard Medical School class entering in August 2011.
I look forward to working with you. Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.
Sincerely,
Krayak

Rejected pre-interview as well. Kind of glad because now I don't have to decide between Harvard and the school I have already decided on going.

I also just got the pre-interview rejection email. Here is the reply that I sent:

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Thank you for your letter of March 8, 2011. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a place in the Harvard Medical School at this time.
This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of medical school programs, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals. Despite Harvard’s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time. Therefore, I will initiate enrollment in the Harvard Medical School class entering in August 2011.
I look forward to working with you. Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.
Sincerely,
Krayak

:laugh:

I got the pre-interview axe today as well. EXTREMELY disappointed. I really thought I still had a chance here. :D

Actually, I was surprised I even got notice of the rejection. I sort of figured I'd get the indefinite silent treatment.

Good luck, all.

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Sincerely,
Krayak

I didn't apply to Harvard, and don't follow this thread, but this is just epic. You sure told them!

:laugh:

I got the pre-interview axe today as well. EXTREMELY disappointed. I really thought I still had a chance here. :D

Actually, I was surprised I even got notice of the rejection. I sort of figured I'd get the indefinite silent treatment.

Good luck, all.

:laugh: Me too. I was really expecting an acceptance.

Just spoke with the admissions office and was told that packets were sent out earlier today

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Sincerely,
Krayak

:claps:

EPIC!

Hilarious! Please tell us if they rescind your rejection. FWIW, I would definitely accept you to HMS!

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Sincerely,
Krayak

Just wondering..

How does having dental school students in class affect the "cohesiveness" of the MD class?

The financial aid website is up. Definitely a nice moment logging in and seeing that I'm actually in the system.

EPIC!

Hilarious! Please tell us if they rescind your rejection. FWIW, I would definitely accept you to HMS!

The guy jacked that "letter" from someone else on these forums. I saw this other person's MDapplicants site but it was for UCSF.

Dear Dr. Mayer:
Sincerely,
Krayak

You should send this to the admissions office. Seriously, you have absolutely nothing to lose and this would make me change my mind if I was on the admissions committee.

@SDMed-- I did send it, but no reply yet. Hopefully someone will at least get a laugh out of it.

@SnYpaJY-- I didn't know that someone had sent this sort of letter to a med school, or posted it on SDN, but this kind of joke has been floating around on the internet forever (my friend forwarded a different version of this to me, and I tweaked it for HMS). Like I said, not trying to copy anyone, just hoping to lighten the mood a bit for someone in an admissions office somewhere.

Does nobody have an idea of how many students are typically taken from the waitlist each year? Do they not disclose this figure?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but does anyone know when Harvard's revisit weekend will likely begin and end? I know the rough dates were mentioned in the email, but travel arrangements from the west coast are hard to make based on those estimates.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but does anyone know when Harvard's revisit weekend will likely begin and end? I know the rough dates were mentioned in the email, but travel arrangements from the west coast are hard to make based on those estimates.

It's April 14th-16th. It should be in your acceptance email and the follow up emails they sent.

I was looking more for the times that it starts and ends so i can book transportation. also: follow up emails? i'm not sure i got those.... who were they from and what did they say?

I was looking more for the times that it starts and ends so i can book transportation. also: follow up emails? i'm not sure i got those.... who were they from and what did they say?

+1

Does anyone know what time it starts on the 14th and ends on the 16th?

Danka!

Status
Not open for further replies.