2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard back from Dr. Lauerman lately? Has anyone heard about how long it will take him to read all the letters? I know he was delayed in reading the letters because of several things.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what is typical of orientation week? I see they have allotted 4 days in the beginning of Aug.

Just an FYI, accepted general admissions. no cap. Exciting. Have to decide between Gtown/BU and another school. Gonna be a tough call. Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any financial aid info? I have not heard anything from them lately.

Thanks

Called the office today. They are pushing back the date again. As of today, they are only a quarter of the way done with creating the packages.

ya rather unfortunate... definitely one of the slower admissions people out there

That is absolutely irresponsible of the school to squeeze everyone down to the decision date. Really irate about that.

They are saying everyone who submitted the form before April 15 will get their package before May 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, yesterday. that sounds like a long time for people to be plugging numbers into the computer.

just got in off cap!!!! first acceptance. so excited.

Last edited:
congrats!!:) still waiting here...
thanks guys :) im sure you'll hear back sometime soon. its probably in the order theyre reading the letters and i sent mine in january? like the day they sent out the last batch of cap acceptances

Hey Guys,

I too just got accepted off of the CAP at Georgetown. If you do not hear back soon, I would definitely consider sending another CAP letter. I really think my continued interest in their school - expressed through a total of two CAP letters and one update letter - is the reason I received my acceptance. If you really want it, let them know.

Just got accepted off CAP. Wrote letter about a month ago.

congrats to all who got accepted off the CAP! how were you notified?

I just got accepted off of CAP today. I interviewed in September and sent in two letters of interest. Thinking about turning down Wake for Georgetown. Any thoughts?

P.S. I got an email and then a call from my interviewer the day after!

I just got accepted off of CAP today. I interviewed in September and sent in two letters of interest. Thinking about turning down Wake for Georgetown. Any thoughts?

I interviewed at Wake and Georgetown (though I'm still waitlisted at both...) and I liked Georgetown better, though not by much. Location, for me, is a no brainer in Georgetown's favor, but that's personal preference. I went to school in a small North Carolina city and wouldn't look forward to doing that again. Both are lacking in "nice facilities" (which premeds seem to value so very highly) but both are adequate to my eye. Both really emphasize clinical education, though I did get the slight impression that research might be stronger at Wake. Congrats on your choice, I hope to have a similar one in the coming month or so...

Hey, congrats! I interviewed at Wake and withdrew from the waitlist after determining that Georgetown was a better fit for me personally. Both are good schools and more similar than I would have ever imagined. Speaking in differences though, I liked Georgetown's mission and focus more. It also seems to be a little more well rounded with loads of volunteer, international, and research opportunities depending on what you are interested in. Wake would be more quaint and maybe lower stress as far as lifestyle is concerned though, but all depends on your preference. Wake does seem to be more regional than Georgetown but depending on where you eventually want to end up, that may not matter. In all, congrats on having such a difficult choice. Everyone has different interests and different needs. Only you can make the choice. Good luck!

Thanks RocknAction and AyCaramba! The two schools do seem very similar in many regards all except location. Location is a pretty big deal for me and it seems that Georgetown has a stronger match list than Wake. I'm leaning towards Georgetown!

Short on time, so I'll use note form.

1) Gtown always had great students, it doesn't matter where they came from or why they chose Gtown. Gtown turns them into great physicians.
2) The bell curve comment is true, but what's more impressive to me is that the match list has great consistency. Year after year there are 10+ going into ortho, that's more impressive to me than one student every other year getting into the stop program.
3) Gtown has a reputation, so it builds and builds. RD's know from past experiences what Gtown students are like and they like them for who they are, so they keep wanting more.
4) Gtown faculty has connections and I'm sure writes awesome recommendations because they really care about their students. If they didn't, I'm not sure if they would pay someone to talk to applicants for 2 hours about the philosophy of the school.

Just want to add a very important point here.

The US new report has ranking made by Residency Directors and Georgetown is ranked much higher then the research rank.

I am aware that these two lists are not comparable. That most consider them worthless etc etc. But the point still stands, RDs have a high opinion of Gtown and its graduates. Interesting to consider.

I am having a hard time myself choosing between BU and Gtown. BU is P/F and I preffer this curriculum because it alllows students to take a USMLE appraoch to their studies. (some dont believe there is such an approach but I do) However, I like the ethos at gtown. As an intense student myslef (not a gunner) I fit in better at Georgetown. A lot of passion in this community. Funny how the research rank and the RD rank are completely reversed between BU and Gtown. lol

Just a thought.

Just want to add a very important point here.

The US new report has ranking made by Residency Directors and Georgetown is ranked much higher then the research rank.

I am aware that these two lists are not comparable. That most consider them worthless etc etc. But the point still stands, RDs have a high opinion of Gtown and its graduates. Interesting to consider.

I am having a hard time myself choosing between BU and Gtown. BU is P/F and I preffer this curriculum because it alllows students to take a USMLE appraoch to their studies. (some dont believe there is such an approach but I do) However, I like the ethos at gtown. As an intense student myslef (not a gunner) I fit in better at Georgetown. A lot of passion in this community. Funny how the research rank and the RD rank are completely reversed between BU and Gtown. lol

Just a thought.
Can you link to the RD rank list?

Yea Congrats to all of you who have gotten in so far :highfive:

I was a march interview so I am not holding out much hope in general at this late date. :shrug:

Hope that the Adcom will like me because I would really like to go to Gtown. :bow: but as with anything who knows if nothing else I have a state school to fall back on so I really can't complain :)

Hey,

Planning on attending Georgetown this Fall and was hoping to share an apartment in Rosslyn with another medical student.

Thought I would check on SDN to see if anyone might be interested in something like this, PM me and we can talk more.

Thanks!

Hate to bring it up again, but I feel like we should be hearing about our financial aid soon. Yes?

Just let us know if you hear anything!:)

Hate to bring it up again, but I feel like we should be hearing about our financial aid soon. Yes?

Just let us know if you hear anything!:)

I can't believe it has taken them this long... originally it was supposed to be sent out April 19th.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there is a Gtown class of 2014 facebook group where we can maybe share any knowledge we have about places to live around Georgetown etc... Please let me know if there is a group. Thanks!

Anyone heard anything this week? still waiting to get off the CAP gtown you are my #1

How do current Georgetown students find the A-F grading scale? Do they wish it was a P/F sort of system? Have people who have decided on Georgetown considered this when deciding on the school?

How do current Georgetown students find the A-F grading scale? Do they wish it was a P/F sort of system? Have people who have decided on Georgetown considered this when deciding on the school?

When I talked to students on 2nd look day I got mixed responses. Some said they were in favor of a P/F system others were not convinced it would be any better. Basically, there is always some level of ranking that goes on in med school whether you know it or not. With the A-F system you at least know where you stand... Also, it can be to your advantage b/c it may help you stand out in your preclinical classes vs. someone who went to a P/F school. If you get a HP and were near the top of your class for that subject it will look better than getting a P and being near the top of your class at some other school. This is at least how it was explained to me. I get the sense that the grading is not perfect but it does offer some benefits... However, many would like it to be changed and that may still happen down the line, the dean of medicine himself said he would prefer P/F.

We should expect our financial aid packages this week right?

I called this morning and they said they are still working on it. In my particular case, it will be mailed out tomorrow. This is getting really tight.

Other than that form I first mailed back with the deposit, there has no been other indication that I even have a place in the class. Such a weird feeling. Georgetown def. needs a web-based application portal.

They gave me my fin. Aid package...meager.:)
hmmmm....

Well, here's to the American Dream - debt.

interesting... i got my financial package.

i received $17,000 in grants, which makes this school cheaper than tOSU for me during M1.....

Withdrew from my acceptance. Good luck to those still on CAP waiting, hopefully one of you will get my spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.