2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bad, like they must have a made a mistake. my family contribution was $17,548. even at schools that gave me terrible, unsubsidized loan-heavy packages, my expected family contribution ranged from $3000-$5000. BU messed up. but i don't care enough to argue with them.

i also received my finaid package. it is OK...meaning i don't know why i didn't receive more aid. from reading previous posts i feel like most of us are in the same boat so I won't complain. I planned on attending regardless of the package because I like the school so much, even with that said BU could really step up their game and give out more institutional aid. They have boat loads of money, I wish I could get some more of it!

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew...You guys have a fantastic 4 years at BUSM! Best of luck to all of you on the WL! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I see wait list movement in the 2003 thread (just randomly showed up in a search). Is that the last time it moved?

Withdrew...You guys have a fantastic 4 years at BUSM! Best of luck to all of you on the WL! :luck:

thanks medcat, best of luck to you as well :)

I see wait list movement in the 2003 thread (just randomly showed up in a search). Is that the last time it moved?

whoaa that far back? i guess even if there is movement it would be one or two out of the gizillion waitlisters :cool:

thanks medcat, best of luck to you as well :)

whoaa that far back? i guess even if there is movement it would be one or two out of the gizillion waitlisters :cool:

You are reading my mind through the internet.... Now go do it! ;):D

:luck::xf:

Just spoke to fin aid and everything seems pretty firm in terms of fin aid packages. So, there will soon be another spot open at BU. Good luck!

What is everyone (girls) wearing to the open house Saturday? Its supposed to be business casual right?

BU... so many waitlisted applicants... not sure if it's worth staying on a WL for too much longer :(

BU... so many waitlisted applicants... not sure if it's worth staying on a WL for too much longer :(

This is entirely my own opinion, removed from any inside knowledge of what goes on in the admissions office. I believe, however, that BU has been experiencing a phenomenon whereby more students have decided to attend than they may have anticipated.

As you know, schools admit more students than they expect will matriculate, on the assumption that several of those admitted students will end up matriculating elsewhere. Finally, the WL is an additional safeguard against underenrollment. Normally, many students would decline their acceptance, and the WL would start moving to some extent.

I do know, however, that at least for the year that I was in the GMS program (2008-2009), the M1 class was larger than they had expected. Not sure if this is true of other years in the past 5-7 or so, but it very well may be. BU is a solid school, so it wouldn't surprise me.

So I suppose what I'm getting at is that despite the fact that the WL hasn't moved too terribly much in recent years, it is important to keep faith, and not consider it a done deal until it's a done deal. I'll be rooting for all of you on the WL; hopefully this year it will move, as I know several folks on it myself, and would rather enjoy being classmates with 'em. Good luck.

What about the guys? I know a few girls wearing dresses but not sure that is the norm.

I certainly won't be wearing a dress. I'm just wearing a pair of charcoal slacks, nice shoes & belt, and a shirt + light blue sweater. Just dressy enough to be snazzy.

Say hello if you see me. I'll be the old dude.

So I suppose what I'm getting at is that despite the fact that the WL hasn't moved too terribly much in recent years, it is important to keep faith, and not consider it a done deal until it's a done deal. I'll be rooting for all of you on the WL; hopefully this year it will move, as I know several folks on it myself, and would rather enjoy being classmates with 'em. Good luck.

:thumbup: Thanks for the post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when/how/if we get to set up BU e-mail addresses? I was just wondering if I'd missed something about it in the stuff we've been sent so far.

Anyone know when/how/if we get to set up BU e-mail addresses? I was just wondering if I'd missed something about it in the stuff we've been sent so far.

I assume, and hope, that after May 15th they'll have a better idea of who's coming and who isn't. And hopefully they'll start sending out more info like that; email setup, class schedule, book list, tuition payment, registration, local bars, blah blah blah.

are there ANY leaks about if there will be any students off of this year's waitlist? I know the last two years have hardly had any movement, and competing for 100 seats this year (which is significantly smaller than previous years), maybe they're trying not to be over-zealous with acceptances? anyone? :shrug:

Just checked out BUSM's 2010 class...106 :(

I SOOOO want to get in...stupid waitlist...anyone else out there waiting? who is planning to drop decline their acceptance?

How many are on the waitlist anyway?

Just checked out BUSM's 2010 class...106 :(

I SOOOO want to get in...stupid waitlist...anyone else out there waiting? who is planning to drop decline their acceptance?

How many are on the waitlist anyway?

There are actually up to 180 students or so in the recent years classes. 106 is small and I don't know if the class was that small or if that is what percent graduated and finished or if that was who was on facebook.

Yea 106 is just facebook. We should have at least 170 by the time we start. Dr. W did mention again at second look that they accepted less outright this year bc previous years have seen high matriculation rates. Maybe the down economy will help the waitlisters tho, BU isn't the cheapest school to attend.

And there seem to be a lot of withdrawals for some reason, atleast from the small SDN sample.

Yea 106 is just facebook. We should have at least 170 by the time we start. Dr. W did mention again at second look that they accepted less outright this year bc previous years have seen high matriculation rates. Maybe the down economy will help the waitlisters tho, BU isn't the cheapest school to attend.

But it is the sweetest! :cool:

I am seriously impressed with the number of improvements they made from the time I interviewed to the 2nd look. Improvements I would not have considered. Love the the SIM and the improved library space. Still need a good 25 hour libary at BU but not many schools have that in Boston for some reason.

Anyhow! :thumbup: BUSM

And there seem to be a lot of withdrawals for some reason, atleast from the small SDN sample.

Take a look at where these students withdrew too. Columbia, Mount Sinia, Baylor. I liked BU much more then Baylor. Then again, I like it more then all the schools I interviewed at.

How was 2nd Look Day?

Amazing. Personality of the school is wonderfull. Improvements have been made in a short few months. So excited for August at this point.

I am going to stop now:rolleyes: lol. But if you have other questions PM me.

I was not inferring anything about the school, I love the school and hope to get off the wait list. I was just stating what I thought was a slight trend on the wait list thread poll.

I was not inferring anything about the school, I love the school and hope to get off the wait list. I was just stating what I thought was a slight trend on the wait list thread poll.

Oh I did not take it that. I was just pointing that out because I know a few of the people who withdrew. It was a hard desicion. :) BU does a very good job in its selection, otherwise a lot more students would withdraw. There were a couple of student in the 2012/2013 class that withdrew from other "higher ranked" schools to come to BU. It is one of those "fit" schools I think. Just pondering.

But it is the sweetest! :cool:

I am seriously impressed with the number of improvements they made from the time I interviewed to the 2nd look. Improvements I would not have considered. Love the the SIM and the improved library space. Still need a good 25 hour libary at BU but not many schools have that in Boston for some reason.

Anyhow! :thumbup: BUSM

Did the library space improve? I got that impression at the second look as well but I wasn't sure. During my interview in december, we didn't get to see the lib, only peek through the window. it seemed really small and depressing then, but when i went in during second look, it was better than i had anticipated. I hope they continue to make improvements in terms of facility. I love BU but better facility is always a plus!

Did the library space improve? I got that impression at the second look as well but I wasn't sure. During my interview in december, we didn't get to see the lib, only peek through the window. it seemed really small and depressing then, but when i went in during second look, it was better than i had anticipated. I hope they continue to make improvements in terms of facility. I love BU but better facility is always a plus!

I described the library earlier up I thought.

Yeah the 12th floor, there used to be shelves and shelves of periodicals to the right when you walked in the library and a row of tables by the computers to the left. But they took those shelves and put them upstairs for now. And replaced the carpeting on the 12th floor.

They got lots of tables now and its more lighted on that floor. They took the old tables by the old computer table away and put arm chairs there instead with coffee kinda tables. mini ones. Then they replaced both computers and computer desks on the left side as well so that its more open rather then cubicles with walls. Some people don't like it but I love it the way it is now.

12th floor is now the floor most people are at because of it. But 13th floor will be the next project and eventually the 11th floor. I think they have a floor plan for the ultimate goals but it will take time for the whole thing to get finished.

Hmm don't know what happened to the post I had earlier. But yeah library has changed. Now if after they change that they could change the auditoriums that would be awesome. haha

Last edited:
You guys had a cockroach in Bakst yet?

Not that I've seen. But I sit in the front row so I can put my feet up on the stage. lol.

But yeah we didn't have issues with roaches that I would know of.

Not that I've seen. But I sit in the front row so I can put my feet up on the stage. lol.

But yeah we didn't have issues with roaches that I would know of.

Yeah, I'm a front row-er myself. There I was, sitting in lecture, and we watched as a huuuuge cockroach walked across the stage in front of the lecturer, fall down the stairs to the floor, and then walk back across the front of the stage.

They usually come out during the spring semester; surprised you didn't see one!

Yeah, I'm a front row-er myself. There I was, sitting in lecture, and we watched as a huuuuge cockroach walked across the stage in front of the lecturer, fall down the stairs to the floor, and then walk back across the front of the stage.

They usually come out during the spring semester; surprised you didn't see one!

LOL no i didn't see any. Thank god. I saw roach problems mostly in Fl. esp. in the house I used to live in for 4 years in Fl. but yet have to see a roach in boston. As per rodents, I know some people had issues with rodents but we got lucky and didn't have problems with that either.

LOL no i didn't see any. Thank god. I saw roach problems mostly in Fl. esp. in the house I used to live in for 4 years in Fl. but yet have to see a roach in boston. As per rodents, I know some people had issues with rodents but we got lucky and didn't have problems with that either.

Lucky. :D

What!

The classrooms are much better then most I saw on interviews. Inlcuding some of the smaller classrooms, equipped with amazing chairs and the newest tech. I think BU is 3 steps ahead in this regard. No roaches or rats. lol

hey i am curious for people who already decided on BU, what schools did you choose over for BU?

What!

The classrooms are much better then most I saw on interviews. Inlcuding some of the smaller classrooms, equipped with amazing chairs and the newest tech. I think BU is 3 steps ahead in this regard. No roaches or rats. lol

The auditoriums at USF health I felt were a lot better in terms of having more comfortable chairs and the kind of tabletop plug outlets for each student like the new library table ones at BU.

But the library at BU is much better. But I feel like the problem is they can't make those table top kind of auditoriums at BU because they have a higher student body and those kind of auditoriums are possible for lesser number of people.

I do like the conference rooms especially the ones on the 7th floor. They could do with replacing the chairs on the R building ones but those are good too and compared to USF where I was doing another MS before going to BU there are more of those kind of study rooms at BU. So I like that about it. No doubt.

interesting, i must have missed the cockroaches during my visit :p

also just withdrew. have fun in Boston everyone who is going, and best of luck to those of you who are on the WL.

don't forget to send in your deposit to hold a seat in the class of 2014!

I never received a financial aid package despite having all my materials sent well before the deadline. Lame. I never followed up because I planned on matriculating elsewhere.

Just withdrew my application. Good luck!

No movement here yet?

Almost all the movement will have taken place before 5/15. When the adcom actually gets around to giving more acceptances is a different story...

Almost all the movement will have taken place before 5/15. When the adcom actually gets around to giving more acceptances is a different story...

Why would it be before 5/15? i thought it would be AFTER 5/15 when people decide to go with other schools?

Who knows how many extra acceptances goes out per year?

i REALLY want to know how short is this SHORT waitlist...this is so frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.