2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those people who got off the wait list, did you guys get the "Orientation Packet" that has all the info about.. curriculum, schedule and stuff like that? I didn't get one :scared:

Edit: Did you guys just call the Student Affairs to order the Orientation Packet and whitecoats and to get the password for the Student Affairs website?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got the Orientation Packet email a couple days ago and I was accepted on June 4. So you should get in within the next week I think. I never called to ask about it, it just came eventually.

Is anyone in need of a female roommate? I just received notice of acceptance a few days ago - so the sooner, the better!

Also, I was looking at financial aid distribution. Do we really only get $1000/mo for room and board?? All the housing I have seen is at least $1000/mo per:(

Thanks SDN'ers!
Hello! I am still looking for a female roommate... did you check out BUSM Class of 2014 facebook page?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any waitlisters get a Background check request recently?

hey all,

This is a bit later, but my name is David Mao and I am a going to be a first year at BUSM. I'm looking for a place to live next year, so pm me if you have a room to rent or if you're looking for roommate.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I just got accepted off the wailist at BU! But now I have to worry about housing. Do you guys know where most of the medical students live? I know the campus housing is ridiculously expensive. Thanks guys!

(good luck to all the others waiting to get in!)

Hey guys!

I just got accepted off the wailist at BU! But now I have to worry about housing. Do you guys know where most of the medical students live? I know the campus housing is ridiculously expensive. Thanks guys!

A lot of people I know live in Harrison Court or live in James Court or there is a new place called 601 Albany. Also there quite a few people I know at the medical campus who live in the Tremont and Columbus Avenue area.

For convenience the first 3 are good but if you want to reduce cost you can split a 1 bedroom with another person and use the living room as a bedroom for one person with a curtain put up. This worked fine for me but my roommate was never home so it was like we never had conflict. Plus even if she was I never really was bothered when she had to use the kitchen at a time when I was still asleep. So if you can work an arrangement like that that may be good.

Some people live near the main campus but I would say that's quite far 20 minutes with the bu shuttle. So it is more inconvenient.

Hey guys!

Did you happen to get the CBC recently?

A lot of people I know live in Harrison Court or live in James Court or there is a new place called 601 Albany. Also there quite a few people I know at the medical campus who live in the Tremont and Columbus Avenue area.

For convenience the first 3 are good but if you want to reduce cost you can split a 1 bedroom with another person and use the living room as a bedroom for one person with a curtain put up. This worked fine for me but my roommate was never home so it was like we never had conflict. Plus even if she was I never really was bothered when she had to use the kitchen at a time when I was still asleep. So if you can work an arrangement like that that may be good.

Some people live near the main campus but I would say that's quite far 20 minutes with the bu shuttle. So it is more inconvenient.

When I was doing GMS, I lived right near Coolidge Corner in Brookline, and took the BU Shuttle to campus & back. I never really felt that it was a particularly long commute (very few stops!), and it was an excellent time to listen to some tunes and review material, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. Being near the main campus also puts you pretty close to the FitRec, which, if you've never been there, you need to see to believe. As a med student, you get a free membership there.

However, keep in mind that the closer you live to the BU main campus, the closer you will be to a college neighborhood (bars, parties, etc.), so if you're looking to avoid that sort of distraction, you might try to put a little distance between yourself and that area.

That said, this time around, I've opted for convenience and got myself an apartment at James Court. I think many people underestimate just how much of an asset living close to the medical school can be.

When I was doing GMS, I lived right near Coolidge Corner in Brookline, and took the BU Shuttle to campus & back. I never really felt that it was a particularly long commute (very few stops!), and it was an excellent time to listen to some tunes and review material, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. Being near the main campus also puts you pretty close to the FitRec, which, if you've never been there, you need to see to believe. As a med student, you get a free membership there.

However, keep in mind that the closer you live to the BU main campus, the closer you will be to a college neighborhood (bars, parties, etc.), so if you're looking to avoid that sort of distraction, you might try to put a little distance between yourself and that area.

That said, this time around, I've opted for convenience and got myself an apartment at James Court. I think many people underestimate just how much of an asset living close to the medical school can be.

Yeah I liked being closer to campus. It is just too convenient to be able to just go and walk across the street when I need something whereas with living by main campus you have to plan a schedule on when you are going to go back and what not. I like the convenience.

Yeah I liked being closer to campus. It is just too convenient to be able to just go and walk across the street when I need something whereas with living by main campus you have to plan a schedule on when you are going to go back and what not. I like the convenience.

Additionally, coordinating study sessions, etc., is a treat when you're right across the street. I'm really looking forward to being able to roll out of bed & into lecture.

For any girls still looking for housing, my roommate and I have found and put a deposit down on a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment, unfortunately plans fell through with out 3rd person so now we're looking for someone else to fill the spot! The apartment is about a 15-20min bus ride to BUMC (the bus stop is right around the corner from the apartment) and the rent is $666/person w/o utilities. If you're looking for a place to live send me a message or an e-mail ([email protected]) and I can give you more info and send pictures! Its a really really nice place!

Members don't see this ad :)
For any girls still looking for housing, my roommate and I have found and put a deposit down on a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment, unfortunately plans fell through with out 3rd person so now we're looking for someone else to fill the spot! The apartment is about a 15-20min bus ride to BUMC (the bus stop is right around the corner from the apartment) and the rent is $666/person w/o utilities. If you're looking for a place to live send me a message or an e-mail ([email protected]) and I can give you more info and send pictures! Its a really really nice place!

Does this offer extend to incoming grad students at BU MAMS? Cuz I know a few people in that thread were also looking for a roommate. I could pass this on to them in that thread if you would consider one of them.

Yeah sure, if you know of other students looking for housing, let them know! Thanks!

any one off the WL?
I talked to the admissions yest, and they said NO ONE is off the list...why are they lying?

Any female vegetarians looking for a room in Harrison Court right across from the Dental and medical school?

Rent is less then 1000 dollars per month including heat and hot water.

Please contact [email protected]

Lease starts 1st Aug. 2010.

Bump...this is huge, wondering why there aren't any responses to this?

Why is this huge? The admin office isn't obligated to release info about the wait list and its movement.

Just curious as to why they'd lie about it. Seems like telling the truth that there has been waitlist movement (according to postings in this thread at least) would be the decent thing to do. I remember Dean Witzburg telling a story few years back about someone being accepted off the WL shortly before classes started. Obviously a rare case, but would be nice to know if its even a possibility or not.

Just curious as to why they'd lie about it. Seems like telling the truth that there has been waitlist movement (according to postings in this thread at least) would be the decent thing to do. I remember Dean Witzburg telling a story few years back about someone being accepted off the WL shortly before classes started. Obviously a rare case, but would be nice to know if its even a possibility or not.

Maybe the person meant that there has been no recent waitlist movement rather then no total waitlist movement.

And perhaps they want people to get off their backs cuz I bet it gets irritating dealing with us frustrating applicants when there are probably tons of people with the same questions.

Anyone off the WL recently? I've heard there are movements at the end of summer

I've also heard of movement end of July even early August but seriously this late?? how hard is it to get everything ready for BU :confused:

I've also heard of movement end of July even early August but seriously this late?? how hard is it to get everything ready for BU :confused:

I highly doubt much movement will happen this late. I was at a joint get together held by two of the GMS advisors the other night and we were discussing waitlist the whole waitlist movement at BUSM.

Both the advisors were MD admissions officers and they were both saying that it is highly unlikely anyone will get off at this point.

In Fl. it used to be my experience that by July people knew where they were going who had other choices so waitlist movement started to trickle down and bulk of waitlist movement was mid May to end of June. I think that is the general trends at most schools. Not to say that there has never been movement past that point, but its much more rare.

So yeah not to make you down or anything but I just don't know at this point that there is much hope.

Actually I was just accepted a couple of days ago from the WL..
So i guess there is some hope left?

Actually I was just accepted a couple of days ago from the WL..
So i guess there is some hope left?

Wow congrats. I didn't say there is no hope but there are far more people on the waitlist then there are spots available. so I'm sure it is winding down how many willg et off.

But congrats.

I don't know if I agree that there are far more people, how many people would want to make a change now?

I'm actually accepted else where but I really want to go to BU. I emailed admissions recently and they said they will take me off the WL once I start classes...which is in couple of weeks. I'm really pissed...

I'm actually accepted else where but I really want to go to BU. I emailed admissions recently and they said they will take me off the WL once I start classes...which is in couple of weeks. I'm really pissed...

You talk as if you are the only one who wants that though. There are at least 2 people I know who would give up their acceptance to another school to go to BUSM if they had the chance for reasons of their own and I'm sure many more as well.

Be happy you have what a lot of people would give anything for AN ACCEPTANCE.

I would go to BU up until the very point in which my other school starts orientation (conviently for me they align perfectly)...

You talk as if you are the only one who wants that though. There are at least 2 people I know who would give up their acceptance to another school to go to BUSM if they had the chance for reasons of their own and I'm sure many more as well.

Be happy you have what a lot of people would give anything for AN ACCEPTANCE.

I'm sort of happy but you dont understand how badly i want to go to BU. I have done anything and everything possible...Its just really frustrating to give it all and still not be good enough.
I didnt even know BU existed till last year when someone told me they are applying...once i went for the interview, i LOVED the school...I just didnt have a good interview and thats what pisses me off

I don't really understand what we will take you off of the waitlist after classes begin. If they know they will have spots then, why can't they give out the spot now?

Wait, seriously? You're pissed because Boston University has the respect to stop considering an applicant once that applicant has begun classes at another school?

He said they would take him off of the waitlist after school started, "and they said they will take me off the WL once I start classes".

That's why I am confused.

He said they would take him off of the waitlist after school started, "and they said they will take me off the WL once I start classes".

That's why I am confused.

Yeah, I read what he wrote. I don't get why it's confusing that BU might take him off of the waitlist once he's started classes elsewhere.

it was just the fact that they said we "will" take you off that I didn't understand. If they know they will have a spot, for sure, why wait until then. It seems to me they are saying they would consider Lululemon after classes start, why else would they say that.

it was just the fact that they said we "will" take you off that I didn't understand. If they know they will have a spot, for sure, why wait until then. It seems to me they are saying they would consider Lululemon after classes start, why else would they say that.

No what they meant was they will not consider you on the waitlist.

I see where the confusion is generating from. What you are confused about is whether being taken off as in considered after classes start.

I think what the person originally meant is that they will be taken off as in removed from the list but not given a spot. I.e. they will be disqualified from being considered further because they are now an official med student elsewhere.

I believe from my understanding that people are no longer considered at another school's waitlist once orientation has started. And as angry as that makes you, it makes sense that you are not considered once you've officially started elsewhere.

Maybe the school didn't think you were the best fit for that school and you should focus on being able to do the best you can at the other school. I know you are sad, but there is no reason to get out right angry as you are saying you are Lulu because it is pointless and you should be happy they considered you and didn't out right reject you and that you were accepted elsewhere. We don't always get what we want and get into our top choices. Be happy for what you accomplished rather then angry for what you can't do anything about. Good luck and I wish you the best.

anfleisch I hope I clarified your confusion.

Yep I thought I was missing something.

I was considering being taken off of the waitlist as a good thing (aka your in).

Yep I was thinking I was missing something.

I was considering being taken off of the waitlist as a good thing (aka your in).

Yeah unfortunately no that doesn't happen. I've heard of people getting in one dental school after starting at another. But I think AAMC has tight controls over things like that to prevent that sort of thing. AAMC is far more regulated or so I feel from what I've seen.

Sorry for those of you who didn't get off the waitlist and if you don't end up getting off by the time of your orientation good luck with your future whether it is going to med school elsewhere or reapplying.

Yea I think you are right about AAMC nowadays. But that was not true in the past, since I have heard older docs say they left after classes began.

Is there an official or unofficial Facebook page for incoming BUSM students?

Yea I think you are right about AAMC nowadays. But that was not true in the past, since I have heard older docs say they left after classes began.

Sorry for the confusion everyone...
I heard from a doctor at my center that ppl joined his class after the first semester. I was hoping that would be the case now but i guess not.

I'm sort of happy but you dont understand how badly i want to go to BU. I have done anything and everything possible...Its just really frustrating to give it all and still not be good enough.
I didnt even know BU existed till last year when someone told me they are applying...once i went for the interview, i LOVED the school...I just didnt have a good interview and thats what pisses me off

Their interview day is pretty amazing, I must add. Totally sold me on the school too. And it has lived up to the promise for me, and more. For those of you who are a good fit for the school, don't give up.

Reapply!!! Make sure they know how much you love them! I believe that they need to hear that you will attend if offered a spot. It is very much a "fit" school and they want to know that you "get it."

On the other hand, if you have an acceptance elsewhere, congrats and enjoy the journey. Medical school is amazing!!!!!!!

Their interview day is pretty amazing, I must add. Totally sold me on the school too. And it has lived up to the promise for me, and more. For those of you who are a good fit for the school, don't give up.

Reapply!!! Make sure they know how much you love them! I believe that they need to hear that you will attend if offered a spot. It is very much a "fit" school and they want to know that you "get it."

On the other hand, if you have an acceptance elsewhere, congrats and enjoy the journey. Medical school is amazing!!!!!!!

This is the point. the person has an acceptance elsewhere. if she thinks the school is amazing there are several others who think a particular school whether BU or elsewhere is amazing that was numero uno in their eyes but not going to get accepted there. One should realize that if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but be glad you are on your way to your dreams as a doctor.

i also feel that people should realize that if they really weren't ready to take on a certain school if accepted there is no reason they should've even applied in the first place. I don't believe in applying somewhere you no you won't go to if accepted.

I know plenty of people that would be happy to even have a single MD acceptance in the US. Some of whom had good stats, good ECs, etc. etc. but didn't even get off waitlists at Fl. schools a few years ago and ended up going to islands. Don't be so picky and be happy for what you've accomplished instead of fretting over what you cant' do anything about.

if you didn't get in and didn't get in elsewhere then reapply and strengthen your application and hope for the best. That is all there is to it.

Slowbutsteady,

what year are you at BUSM? Just starting in the new class or M2 or M3 or M4?

Thanks for the post. It is dead on. I'm glad you are enjoying med school. Good to hear someone with some positive experiences rather then the many negative things you often read on SDN.

SOme people don't know much about schools they apply to until they go for interviews.

Slowbutsteady,

what year are you at BUSM? Just starting in the new class or M2 or M3 or M4?

Thanks for the post. It is dead on. I'm glad you are enjoying med school. Good to hear someone with some positive experiences rather then the many negative things you often read on SDN.

In the thick of my 3rd year rotations!!

In the thick of my 3rd year rotations!!

Oh yeah that's right. Now I remember. you are the one that did awesomely well on the boards. :D

Congrats on that again. and good luck on rotations. Like I said, glad to see people with positive attitudes. :D

I can say I was positively impressed with the students i met at BUSM from your class this past year in the library.

I just had a quick question.. Do a lot of M1s have their own cars? I posted this Q on the facebook group but thought I'd get more answers here.. :xf:

I got a place in Roxbury area and some people are telling me it's kind of dangerous area so I might as well get a used car.. :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.