2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and what new information does your comment add? the previous poster wanted some insight, not a useless, idiotic comment.

He's just trying to raise his post count, already over 5000 in one year haha

Members don't see this ad :)
...and what new information does your comment add? the previous poster wanted some insight, not a useless, idiotic comment.

What? Med school is a seller's market and will remain so as long as cash cows, ehm, I mean students remain willing to shell out big bucks for an M.D. Sorry if that strikes home, but standing in a corner yelling that it isn't so doesn't change it.

He's just trying to raise his post count, already over 5000 in one year haha

Lol. You're on to me;).

Maybe some of the tuition is being used to lure LeBron to the Pistons for next year? Besides, that not too sure....

Well, after the two signings (one of which i really dont understand) they made this offseason they're gonna need to get a tonn more coin to get bron here, so maybe ur right.

Id be much more for getting bosh here, mostly because I'm probably the biggest lebron hater in the world, but ill gladly accept my debt if it means a new dynasty for the 'stones

There is no section on the secondary to include information about Wayne State alumni? Three members of my family graduated from Wayne State. What gives? I thought I saw a previous application that had a spot for including alumni. Am I mistaken, or has their application changed recently?

There is no section on the secondary to include information about Wayne State alumni? Three members of my family graduated from Wayne State. What gives? I thought I saw a previous application that had a spot for including alumni. Am I mistaken, or has their application changed recently?

Ask this in the 2009-2010 section, prob get a better response there.

Any more word on waitlist movement in July? It looks like a few people withdrew at the beginning of the month. Any more ISers still going to withdraw for me?

Any more word on waitlist movement in July? It looks like a few people withdrew at the beginning of the month. Any more ISers still going to withdraw for me?

I called them today about it. She said, "It doesn't look good [for anyone on the waitlist]."

:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm so bummed! I was really hoping to get into Wayne State...

I called them today about it. She said, "It doesn't look good [for anyone on the waitlist]."

:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm so bummed! I was really hoping to get into Wayne State...
Yes, doesn't sound too good. She told me there was "a whole drawer full" of people still under review. Wayne is my only hope for this year still, so I'll just keep waiting.

lentilfarm and ltw092

I do hope you beat the odds and we can be classmates in a few weeks. However, if the worst occurs, please do not give up hope. Start filing the 2010 AMCAS now, because if you keep trying you will get in.

Good luck! :thumbup::luck:

lentilfarm and ltw092

I do hope you beat the odds and we can be classmates in a few weeks. However, if the worst occurs, please do not give up hope. Start filing the 2010 AMCAS now, because if you keep trying you will get in.

Good luck! :thumbup::luck:

Thanks for the encouragement!! I've already been verified for the 2010 cycle and waiting for their secondary. I'm ecstatic of having to write four essays instead of three unlike last year because I'm a re-app now... BAH!

Is it true that if you get a 3.5GPA at a hard graduate school program (i.e. Georgetown's SMP) that they'll look at your graduate GPA and not your undergraduate? That would help so much (if I do get a GPA higher than 3.5 at Georgetown)...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what I remember being told a few years ago by one of the admissions staff. I advise you to call them and confirm though.

However, I did get above a 3.5 in an SMP (UC) and got in this year. I also applied earlier than I ever have. ;)

does any OOSer know if you can defer admission for a year, work in michigan and then gain state residency? Michigan seems tough on their residency rules so I'm guessing this is a no, but just wondering

does any OOSer know if you can defer admission for a year, work in michigan and then gain state residency? Michigan seems tough on their residency rules so I'm guessing this is a no, but just wondering

I'm 95% certain that's a no. When I moved to Michigan from Ohio just before undergrad, I had a hell of a time getting in-state tuition at UMich, even though my dad had already lived in the state for over a year. It came through about a month before classes started, but it required a permanent family address, etc. If you're married, it's possible, otherwise, don't count on it.

I'm 95% certain that's a no. When I moved to Michigan from Ohio just before undergrad, I had a hell of a time getting in-state tuition at UMich, even though my dad had already lived in the state for over a year. It came through about a month before classes started, but it required a permanent family address, etc. If you're married, it's possible, otherwise, don't count on it.

Yea I just asked them, they said deferalls will NOT be granted for the purpose of gaining residency. If you wanted to do it, you would have to withdraw move to Michigan and reapply and then if you got in, you would get in state status.....but I doubt anyones gonna withdraw. Basically, theres no way around it not even deferring. Since I got in, one of my hobbies has been trying to find a way around their OOS tuition but it really looks like theres no loopholes whatsoever (except marriage). Michigan just seems harsh on its residency status, a friend of mine goes to Umich med, she went to Princeton for undergrad but all her other schooling was in Michigan (kindergarten-12th grade) and her parents still lived in Michigan, and they still gave her a hell of a time to get in-state but they eventually did they day before classes.

I have to post again to get the total post count past 666

Would purchasing property help in securing in-state residency and subsequently tuition?

I just want to make sure, but if we withdraw from this matriculating class, is it sufficient to just send an e-mail to the admissions e-mail address?

Ill be dropping out tomorrow. Kind of sad, I was really excited to attend, but i got into my number 1 school. i hope one of you guys gets the spot. OOS student too

congrats SBK! Now I just need some ISers to withdraw so I can get into my top choice school! Maybe there's still hope :luck::xf::luck::xf:

congrats SBK! Now I just need some ISers to withdraw so I can get into my top choice school! Maybe there's still hope :luck::xf::luck::xf:

that's the thing, no in-staters are going to withdraw because you can't beat the cost of WSU (the only way people would w/d would be to go to UM or MSU, and I imagine that would have happened already). I think our chances were shot with their policy of considering IS and OOS in separate pools.

Congrats Ryan! Maybe there is still some hope for us instaters after all! Me next!

woww, congrats! Its amazing its still moving <2 wks before orientation. Man, medstar needs to get in...I don't get why you're not in, but we're all pulling for you

woww, congrats! Its amazing its still moving <2 wks before orientation. Man, medstar needs to get in...I don't get why you're not in, but we're all pulling for you

Thanks a lot! :xf::xf:

Hi everybody,

I'm an OS female, got off the waitlist on July 10th. I hope you guys get into schools of your choices =) (or off the waitlist to wayne)

I"ll be coming from PA, and I'm looking for a way to find short term housing. I"d like to rent for a few months before I buy my own place in Detroit. I have checked out craigslist and facebook groups, but that's about all the resources I know of.

I was wondering, since you guys are mostly locals (more local than I am), if you knew of any websites or apt buildings that does short term/month to month renting?

Seriously, any input is appreciated. Thanks a bunch and my fingers are crossed for you all =)

Someone posted this link on a group somewhere. I found it after I put a deposit down on a place. :(

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/midtown.phphttp://detroitmidtown.com/05/index.php

It has many places near the school that look pretty good and are decently priced.

When looking at places myself, I really liked River Place, Pavillion, and the Millener Center. The lofts on Garfield were also nice.

Last edited:
Just got accepted off of the waitlist. I'm OOS. The admissions lady made it seem like she was still expecting a few more people to withdraw so good luck to everybody!

still havent withdrawn, waiting for admissions acceptance letter from the other school first. still hope out there

Just got accepted off of the waitlist. I'm OOS. The admissions lady made it seem like she was still expecting a few more people to withdraw so good luck to everybody!
That's good to hear...if something opens up for me, I'm ready quit my job and move across the state!

wow, this seems like the most movement wayne has had in awhile... thats awesome! keep it going!

Hey guys, on the facebook page alot of people are talking about tickets for the white coat ceremony...All I've been told is we're allowed 2 guests, does anyone know where we pick up the tickets or has anyone received them already? I called admissions and they said they don't even know if they're doing tickets this year....anyways, just want to make sure my parents are allowed in with no problems

sheesh, its gotten quite here...No posts in 4 days?? Whats the deal guys??

I was wondering if anyone knows when we get the fin aid money? Anyone know if they send a check in the mail or wire it to our accounts?

I was wondering if anyone knows when we get the fin aid money? Anyone know if they send a check in the mail or wire it to our accounts?

you can set up to get Direct Deposit under the Student tab when you log in to the Student Portal.

you can set up to get Direct Deposit under the Student tab when you log in to the Student Portal.

Yea, I did that, but when do we get the money in our acounts?

Yea, I did that, but when do we get the money in our acounts?

When they actually give out fin. aid, prob first or sec. week of school.

As long as you accepted the awards, signed the mpn, and did the counseling your money should be distributed on the 31st or shortly after. However, the money will not be deducted until registration is completed at orientation and then it will take a couple of days for the school to put the remaining balance into your account. I would say by the end of the first week you should have it. At least thats how they explained it to me. If you are in the earlier part of the alphabet and register earlier, you would probably get your money by the 10th or so.

Orientation starts today...does this mean this is it for us still on waitlist. Classes start next week.

about the scholarships, does anyone know what we were supposed to do for scholarships that required an essay? there was no where to write one on the app, but some require one.

Status
Not open for further replies.