2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:D WSU SOM Class of 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats always a good first post...they called u on the weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here have the link to last year's thread? I wanted to see when and how the wait list movement kicked in? Thanks.

Just looking through last years posts, they had already accepted quite a few prior to 5/15.
Anyone accepted yet? Anyone knows what is going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
DDNC (Different Day No Call -- it's something new I'm trying, I hope it catches on :) )

The wait is giving me a panic attack, either they have over accepted or they have too many withdrawls and have to go through all the applications again.
Please post if any one knows any thing.

The wait is giving me a panic attack, either they have over accepted or they have too many withdrawls and have to go through all the applications again.
Please post if any one knows any thing.

Well hopefully it's the latter but the people here on SDN probably represent such a small percent of those sitting on the wait list that it's possible they've been pulling people off and we just don't know.

I called in yesterday and got a few unhelpful answers.....the secretary told me that the class is full and as people drop their spot (which confused me because it's after the 15th), they would notify us right away. There are a few hundred people still under review and apparently the list is ranked somehow but they can't tell us where on the list we stand.

:xf:

I called in yesterday and got a few unhelpful answers.....the secretary told me that the class is full and as people drop their spot (which confused me because it's after the 15th), they would notify us right away. There are a few hundred people still under review and apparently the list is ranked somehow but they can't tell us where on the list we stand.

Thanks Lauren, I wish the waitlist was ranked like other schools and we wouold atleast have some idea. Have to make decision about housing/finances etc.

once they make someone an offer, that individual has a week or two to make a decision. So as a result, WSU has to wait to see if that individual accepts the offer. If not, then WSU will go down on their ranked list to the next person and so on and so forth. In addition, another scenario is that someone who is already accepted at WSU gets of the WL from another school. So, if this person decides to accept the other offer, then another spot will open up. Taking into consideration multiple medical schools and multiple WLs, it can potentially take over a month for schools to go down through the WL and fill up their spots. hope this helps

A few hundred??? wow that's a lot of people considering their entire class size is around 300. Seems like most people with acceptances would've made their final decision by now and they should therefore chuck the bottom half of their wait list or something instead of leaving people hanging around for really no reason. I mean how likely is it that their entire accepted class is going to withdraw. geez, waiting sucks!

I called hoping to get some more info but was equally unsuccessful. The girl i spoke with said there were probably 100-200 people still under review but i got the impression she was just making a wild guess as she said that their system was down. In any case, 100 and 200 are very different. I asked why they don't give out rank numbers and she said it just wasn't one of their procedures. And then i asked if she could give me a ballpark guestimate of when the majority of people who withdraw usually do it by... "it just depends." oh well i tried. so the wait continues. :xf:

I tried calling as well and got about the same answers. I also asked when they typically call and she told me usually during business hours (8-5) but it can be anytime between 6 am and 10 pm. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn this sucks my mom told me she thought i'd hear good news this week.

This really does suck... I've been waiting since October, and just wish I would hear some good news... Starting to think its just not going to happen... :(

EDIT: But I'm still trying to stay positive!

Last edited:
This really does suck... I've been waiting since October, and just wish I would hear some good news... Starting to think its just not going to happen... :(

EDIT: But I'm still trying to stay positive!

I don't know but with your 32, 3.9, and good ECs I'm very surprised you haven't been accepted. Though your application list is not broad enough and you didn't seem to pick the right schools.

There are people in my class that didnt get the call until orientation week, so anything is possible. I didn't get in till around this time last year so keep the hope!

Oh, and that is a brutal looking start to 3rd yr TMP-SMX... What hospital you get?

Has anyone started looking for housing? Do any current students have any recommendations or places to avoid? I am planning on getting something within walking distance to campus as I won't have a car.

Has anyone started looking for housing? Do any current students have any recommendations or places to avoid? I am planning on getting something within walking distance to campus as I won't have a car.

I'm sure a current student (e.g, TMP) will tell you more about this than me, but it is nearly impossible to live at Wayne State without a car, especially during clinicals. Public transportation in Detroit is bad/nonexistent. You should probably count on getting one once you get to MI.

For the Canadians attending Wayne state, how does summer employment work? Are you allowed to work full time in the U.S. in the summer with the F-1 visa or does everyone just go back to Canada to get a job?

I was under the impression that we were allowed to work for the school (e.g. doing research) over the summer full time as long as it was for the school...we couldn't just work anywhere. From what I read though, it sounds like we are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week unless it's a co-op type job (where the job is like training for your job when you graduate). Can anyone clarify the work requirements for Canadian students at school in the U.S. on a student visa???
thanks!!!!

For the Canadians attending Wayne state, how does summer employment work? Are you allowed to work full time in the U.S. in the summer with the F-1 visa or does everyone just go back to Canada to get a job?

I was under the impression that we were allowed to work for the school (e.g. doing research) over the summer full time as long as it was for the school...we couldn't just work anywhere. From what I read though, it sounds like we are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week unless it's a co-op type job (where the job is like training for your job when you graduate). Can anyone clarify the work requirements for Canadian students at school in the U.S. on a student visa???
thanks!!!!

I had read earlier that you withdrew??

Oh, and that is a brutal looking start to 3rd yr TMP-SMX... What hospital you get?

Ford. Starting with surgery was actually my first choice because of the way it set up IM and the elective later in the year. I don't really want to do surgery and most of the H&Ps I do will be more than what is expected of us because surgeons aren't exactly the most thorough with taking histories. So as long as I can stand up for 8 hours, hold a retractor, suture, and improve on answering the pimping questions I think I'll be fine.

I'd say it is possible only if you have a close friend that lives in the same place as you. You will be extremely bored and will go crazy without a car.

i haven't called since february, when they told me i was 'under review'. the past few months i've been checking the mail every day, and i had started to think that maybe i had missed something- the rejection letter, maybe, or the acceptance packet. the last letter i received was in january, when it said that i was 'under review'. finally had the guts to check SDN today, and glad to see that some people are still in the same boat-- hope we all hear soon! so am i to understand that acceptance will now come as a phone call, followed by an acceptance packet? if not, we will get an email in august? will they leave a voicemail? i guess i still have my dreams pinned on wayne for whatever reason, and i had hoped that i had a good chance being in-state and all.

i haven't called since february, when they told me i was 'under review'. the past few months i've been checking the mail every day, and i had started to think that maybe i had missed something- the rejection letter, maybe, or the acceptance packet. the last letter i received was in january, when it said that i was 'under review'. finally had the guts to check SDN today, and glad to see that some people are still in the same boat-- hope we all hear soon! so am i to understand that acceptance will now come as a phone call, followed by an acceptance packet? if not, we will get an email in august? will they leave a voicemail? i guess i still have my dreams pinned on wayne for whatever reason, and i had hoped that i had a good chance being in-state and all.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat and this is turning out to be a good support group. Don't lost hope. From what I understand, if a person's chances are really low (i.e. near the bottom of the list), the dean may send a rejection letter sometime in June... they do that after they assess the waitlist movement, which to be honest does not seem to be great at this point.

well I sure hope that the waitlist movement picks up, but you are right that it doesnt seem to be doing much at this point... I would love to go here, and it would be nice if like you said the dean sent out a letter in june to those at the bottom so that they dont have to keep being strung along all summer until august. I just dont understand why they can't have a more transparent process like other schools and let us know which 1/3 of the waitlist we are on. That would at least put most of us at a little more ease...

BTW, has anyone made any calls to wayne to see if they can get some answers from them at all?

BTW, has anyone made any calls to wayne to see if they can get some answers from them at all?

i did a couple days ago and someone else did as well...scroll up this page a bit and you'll see the posts about it.

Yeah the scholarship things was weird. When are they going to annouce those? Anyone have an idea?

Yeah the scholarship things was weird. When are they going to annouce those? Anyone have an idea?

When I called a few weeks ago, they said they wouldn't be processing the scholarship applications until June/July.

Has anyone's aunt's brother's friend's nephew gotten in yet from the waitlist?

I just wanted to let you all know, I just withdrew from Wayne State- good luck to everyone waiting!

Indiana University or Wayne State?
I just got a call from Wayne State today and now have a decision to make. Does anyone have any thoughts on choosing between these two schools?

Thanks!

This is from another thread posted today. Looks like there is some movement.

Indiana University or Wayne State?
I just got a call from Wayne State today and now have a decision to make. Does anyone have any thoughts on choosing between these two schools?

Thanks!

This is from another thread posted today. Looks like there is some movement.

Well go back and tell him/her Indiana all the way!! Lol. good to see some movement though...

yay for movement! i was losing hope :)

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:good luck to everyone!

I know an IS that got in yesterday

I called to check and the lady said there has been some waitlist movement and the class is full at this time.:rolleyes:

Hopefully some seats open soon. :luck::luck::luck:

I got the call around 4:30 today saying I got in!!!!!!!!! SOOO excited!!!!

Good luck everyone! :xf::luck:

I did withdraw..but I"m still going to another school in the U.S. on a visa...so the visa question still applies. I just know there are quite a few Canadians at Wayne so I thought I would post in this thread...sorry:(

I had read earlier that you withdrew??

Hi Guys,

Is anyone sure if Wayne accepted 50 students each in March & April like they were supposed to? From the thread and talking to people, it seems like they might not have stuck to that policy because almost everyone stayed under review in those months. What do you guys think? Is there anyone out here who got accepted in March or April during call-in dates? Any how, good luck to everyone under review.

Hi Guys,

Is anyone sure if Wayne accepted 50 students each in March & April like they were supposed to? From the thread and talking to people, it seems like they might not have stuck to that policy because almost everyone stayed under review in those months. What do you guys think? Is there anyone out here who got accepted in March or April during call-in dates? Any how, good luck to everyone under review.

I doubt they would go out of there way to mention they accept a certain % every month, and then not do so. Also, SDN represents a small majority..a lot of ppl just browse and dont post.

Hi Guys,

i know a few ppl who got accepted march/april

sheesh the waitlist movement for wayne this year seems to be nearly non-existant! This sucks! Come on waitlist!!! MOVE!
:xf::xf:

For those of you that have been accepted already, when is orientation this year? I'm just wondering when is the latest we could receive an acceptance...

For those of you that have been accepted already, when is orientation this year? I'm just wondering when is the latest we could receive an acceptance...

Congrats on your admission to SUNY. I think the orientation is 8/3.

So what happens if you get accepted after you matriculate at other MD/DO school?

Congrats on your admission to SUNY. I think the orientation is 8/3.

So what happens if you get accepted after you matriculate at other MD/DO school?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure you can only switch if you haven't matriculated at another school, but fortunately, I would start at SUNY the week after Wayne starts... So if I'm gonna get in there, it'll be before I matriculate somewhere else...

First week of august. Still a few months left. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.