2008-2009 University of Washington Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just had my UW interview today! Everybody in the admissions office was super helpful especially Stella. I think most OOR people interview in Feb/March (that's what they said) and so hopefully I'll get to know soon. As for the interview, I think it could have been better, but who knows at this point. I think the difference in format between UW and other schools is making me unable to properly assess my performance. Still an intimidating interview imo.

On another note, I really got to enjoy Seattle and UWSOM! Here's hoping for an acceptance! :scared:

Interesting...did they say anything about accepting most OOR at the very end? I'm holding onto what I think is becoming a slim hope...

Congratulations on being done! I spent the week after my interview thinking "oh I should have said XYZ when I answered that question"...over and over. Maybe that's something that happens for all interviews actually...

Ugh I need to get to work!! Why am I on SDN!? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting...did they say anything about accepting most OOR at the very end? I'm holding onto what I think is becoming a slim hope...

Congratulations on being done! I spent the week after my interview thinking "oh I should have said XYZ when I answered that question"...over and over. Maybe that's something that happens for all interviews actually...

Ugh I need to get to work!! Why am I on SDN!? :oops:

Haha, I have the same problem. :laugh:

I think we've officially entered the home stretch of waiting. Final meetings are coming up fast, and then we all wait to hear our fate. Based on last year's thread, it looked pretty painful... I'm trying to think mellow thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we've officially entered the home stretch of waiting. Final meetings are coming up fast, and then we all wait to hear our fate. Based on last year's thread, it looked pretty painful... I'm trying to think mellow thoughts

I'm not sure how similar the admissions process this year will be compared to last year? At least from what I gathered during my interview it sounded like UWSOM was changing many aspects of their admissions process... I know that Dr. Fero mentioned that they were cutting down the number of interviews given by UW... (i.e., no more automatic interviews for IR applicants). She estimated about 600 interviews total? For 215 seats, that's not bad at all... :cool:

Though I don't think I'm going to be accepted, who knows?

Just got a call today from one of the faculty on my interview panel congratulating me on my acceptance! I interviewed Feb. 23rd, out-of-region applicant (from Texas), and was completely caught off guard with the phone call today. I wasn't expecting anything until at least tomorrow, if I was lucky. I was standing in line at Chick-fil-a when I got the call and was so happy! Can't wait to meet you future classmates.

Congratulations!! That's super!

We'll see you in Seattle!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593849

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63329585490

Has anyone done an interview with the Multicultural Affairs office? I have an interview with them before my admissions interview next week and I'm just wondering what it's all about? I'm not a minority candidate, although I did serve two years in the Peace Corps.

Any general advice on the interview? I'm not a Washington resident, and have an acceptance at OHSU (woo!).

Has anyone done an interview with the Multicultural Affairs office? I have an interview with them before my admissions interview next week and I'm just wondering what it's all about? I'm not a minority candidate, although I did serve two years in the Peace Corps.

Any general advice on the interview? I'm not a Washington resident, and have an acceptance at OHSU (woo!).

I didn't have one but the two people i know who did said be prepared for a real interview. its not just chatting, or laid back. that came as quite a shock to them

I think you always meet with them if you are OOR. Mine was actually pretty conversational. (I'm not a minority either)

Haha talk about a shock for sure!! I did one and as I was walking back to the office I said "well at least I can relax now that the interview is over..." and she responded, "oh I'm gonna interview you!"

And then she just took me into her office and we sat in chairs and talked about college experience, extracurriculars, hardships, volunteer stuff, etc. It seems like they just fill out this standard form and give it to the multicultural dean, who then presents that as part of your application file.

I was still so relieved to be done with the main interview that I couldn't help but just kinda sit back in the chair and relax. It was really conversational and I felt like I could express myself easily. Half of the time I was like "dang, why did I not say this in the real interview." But I strongly reccomend taking part in this because I think they give you some kind of ranking and plus I was given other good information about the school and programs.

Oh hey, you're in the position as I am/was! You definitely want to do the multicultural affairs interview, and yes it is an interview! Mine was about 40 minutes long, (a lot more casual) and she took down like 2-3 pages down of notes.

Last edited:

The OMCA interview is for anyone who was disadvantaged, came from a rural/underserved area, or has a strong interest in working in rural/underserved areas. They made a point to mention that the OMCA interview was not limited to minorities. In fact UW doesn't take URM status into consideration, they just consider disadvantaged status (financial, educational, or medical). At least that's what they told me.

Hey congratulations on your OHSU acceptance! You should swing by any of the OHSU related threads :D

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on OHSU vs. UW as well!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Hey congratulations on your OHSU acceptance! You should swing by any of the OHSU related threads :D

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on OHSU vs. UW as well!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm kind of on this little cloud of happiness. I'll let you know what my thoughts are about the two schools once I've had a chance to check out UW more. UW seems like a better fit, but I already feel so blessed by my OHSU acceptance that anything else would just be icing on the cake.

just to anyone that's still out there waiting for an invite, miracles do happen...I just got an invite yesterday...originally for the 16th, but I had to reschedule for the 20th (the VERY last day of interviews!) I had all but given up hope...good luck to everyone waiting...

just to anyone that's still out there waiting for an invite, miracles do happen...I just got an invite yesterday...originally for the 16th, but I had to reschedule for the 20th (the VERY last day of interviews!) I had all but given up hope...good luck to everyone waiting...

Oh wow, congratulations! :)

The 20 Montana WWAMI students were selected 3/6/09 so if you're a MT resident lurking, you should know your fate via snail mail in the next 7-10 days. Dunno if adcom members were going to called accepted folks or not.

Wow, that means that Idaho applicants will possibly be decided next Friday.:scared: Hope it's good news.

Excom meeting today... :scared: :scared: :scared:

Good luck everybody!

I thought someone earlier said it got postponed/cancelled and they weren't reviewing WA/OOR apps till end of March??

Really? One of the three interviewers was the new Dean of Admissions and she explicitly told me that they were going to be reviewing people today for WA in state and OOR applicants...

Really? One of the three interviewers was the new Dean of Admissions and she explicitly told me that they were going to be reviewing people today for WA in state and OOR applicants...

I hope your right, I can't remember who said it...but whatever, we'll just see what happens. For me, since i've been reviewed at one already, I've resigned to waiting till the end, but good luck to you!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG:D

So, now that I've calmed down, here are the details:

10/11 Complete
01/10 Interview Invite
02/11 Interview
02/17 Under Consideration
03/09 ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! (phone call)

Last edited:

Hey Doc Henry! Congratulations!!! :D

I don't think I made it though... looks like they called everybody who got in today... :(

How did they notify you?

Hey Doc Henry! Congratulations!!! :D

I don't think I made it though... looks like they called everybody who got in today... :(

How did they notify you?

thanks

It was a phone call. Oh, and don't stress, you could very likely be "under consideration", thats what I got the first time.

is the under consideration notification an e-mail?

10/11 Complete
01/10 Interview Invite
02/11 Interview

Congrats Doc Henry! So great to see residents of this thread succeed!! Yay!!! :D:p:oops::love::luck:

10/11 Complete
01/10 Interview Invite
02/11 Interview

CONGRATULATIONS!! :highfive: You definetly deserve it!

Although I have to say...I am super jealous :oops: +pity+

* runs off to check cell-phone every 10 minutes... * (i'm at work)

* runs off to check cell-phone every 10 minutes... * (i'm at work)

yeah seriously. I'm in an all day training for work and I ran off to my office to check my cell phone. Nothing :(

yeah seriously. I'm in an all day training for work and I ran off to my office to check my cell phone. Nothing :(

I just hope I don't get a call from those stupid autoinsurance robot things. Today is NOT the day for that!

Aww thanks Nina. I TOTALLY understand your feelings...I've had them every time someone got accepted. I still have my fingers crossed for you:xf:

Congrats to Doc Henry. I felt like we were in the same boat because UW was the only place I got an interview also.

I interviewed just this last week (3/5), tucked in with Montana students and a few from Seattle. I am in-state and was wondering if anyone else who has gotten such a late interview has heard anything from this last Excom meeting.

I was hoping to hear back today but I also heard that they are very backed up this year so we might not hear for a while yet.

So i think everyone who's interviewed within the last couple weeks is getting shelved for review with the very last of the bunch. It seems like everyone who has heard from yesterday's meeting had interviewed much earlier-- also I have a lot of friends who interviewed quite awhile ago and have still not heard anything. My hopes are on that last excom meeting... good luck all!

-SP

Just fyi, if you interviewed in the last couple of weeks you can call the admissions office as they are quite helpful and will look up your # and give you status (if there is any change). The good news is it doesn't sound like they have sent out emails and she suggested to call back Monday if I don't receive something by then.
There is probably also a good chance a lot of people won't be reviewed until the final meetings in a couple weeks so good luck everyone!

Just got the official email, the time on it was 846am. Good luck you all you lurkers out there, and of course to all of my supporters from this thread!:luck::xf:

I got my fourth "Under Consideration" E-mail. Let's hope it has a happy ending :D

Just got the official email, the time on it was 846am. Good luck you all you lurkers out there, and of course to all of my supporters from this thread!:luck::xf:

Congratulations! What a relief that must be!

I got my fourth "Under Consideration" E-mail. Let's hope it has a happy ending :D

Well I got my FIFTH Under consideration email today. I wonder if it is significant to continue to be under consideration all this time or if it means they aren't looking at your file until the end...

Frannie, I was expecting a post from you! Are you still under consideration-ed as well?

No phone call, no e-mail, no letter yet! :scared:

Again, Congratulations Doc Henry! That's really great news! I will always remember when I got my first MD acceptance! :)

Congratulations! What a relief that must be!

Well I got my FIFTH Under consideration email today. I wonder if it is significant to continue to be under consideration all this time or if it means they aren't looking at your file until the end...

Frannie, I was expecting a post from you! Are you still under consideration-ed as well?

Hey Nina :p Yep, I just got the under consideration email this morning as well :D I've got a huge piece of ammo for my letter of update, so hopefully that might tip the scale in my favor. I guess we'll be waiting for the final excom decision together :p:p

Hey Nina :p Yep, I just got the under consideration email this morning as well :D I've got a huge piece of ammo for my letter of update, so hopefully that might tip the scale in my favor. I guess we'll be waiting for the final excom decision together :p:p

You have ammo?!?! I have NOTHING. I'm trying to write a final update letter but it's just sounding pathetic. What can I say? I'm still doing the full time job that I was doing during my interview...:(

i also got the 3rd under consideration
I highly doubt that this is due to a review...I bet its because our excom rep is just not attending, or that they havent gotten to our apps yet.
eitherway, it seems it all hopeless till the week of the 23rd. I just hope that its not the case that they have already filled up so many positions that the rest of us will be fighting for waitlist...oh god.

Just to give everybody some hope, Patricia Fero told my interview group that they've reduced the number of interview invites this year, she said about 600-700 for 215 spots, not too bad statistically speaking... good luck!

Just to give everybody some hope, Patricia Fero told my interview group that they've reduced the number of interview invites this year, she said about 600-700 for 215 spots, not too bad statistically speaking... good luck!

Any chance she told you the numbers for OOR (since you're from OR right?)...is it still 100 interviewed to 15 accepted/matriculated?

Last edited:
Any chance she told you the numbers for OOR (since you're from OR right?)...is it still 100 interviewed to 15 accepted/matriculated?

I think so, she mentioned that it is about 100 interviewed. I'm not sure, this is just from what I can recollect from that information/Q&A session, but I think she mentioned that about 30 acceptances were given out for 15 spots, expecting that approximately half of the people with acceptances would give them up. 1/3? Not bad. Again, it was all a fuzzy and distant (and somewhat traumatic) day so this is from what I can recollect.

And yes, I am OOR.

I think so, she mentioned that it is about 100 interviewed. I'm not sure, this is just from what I can recollect from that information/Q&A session, but I think she mentioned that about 30 acceptances were given out for 15 spots, expecting that approximately half of the people with acceptances would give them up. 1/3? Not bad. Again, it was all a fuzzy and distant (and somewhat traumatic) day so this is from what I can recollect.

And yes, I am OOR.

Oh great! I figured only about 18 would be accepted for 15 matriculated...who is going to give up UW?!! 1/3 then is awesome :)

Oh great! I figured only about 18 would be accepted for 15 matriculated...who is going to give up UW?!! 1/3 then is awesome :)

I definitely think its an estimate, and would take my own numbers with a grain of salt. But yeah, if you have an interview at UW, at least for this year, you've already made one of the bigger cuts in the admissions process! Good luck Nina!

Status
Not open for further replies.