2008-2009 University of Washington Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did anyone else NOT get an email today?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an accepted email today and a phone call on Friday. Hang in there though and good luck.

Congratulations mega! :thumbup: Why didn't you post on Friday?!?! Are you a WA resident?

Congratulations mega! :thumbup: Why didn't you post on Friday?!?! Are you a WA resident?
Yes I am a WA resident. I didn't post on Friday because I wasn't sure if all interviewers call their accepted interviewees, so I didn't want anyone to lose hope. Basically, I wanted to wait till the emails went out today so that all the acceptances would be out there before breaking the news. I know how bad the wait can be and don't want to make it worse for anyone. That was a little wordy, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Yes I am a WA resident. I didn't post on Friday because I wasn't sure if all interviewers call their accepted interviewees, so I didn't want anyone to lose hope. Basically, I wanted to wait till the emails went out today so that all the acceptances would be out there before breaking the news. I know how bad the wait can be and don't want to make it worse for anyone. That was a little wordy, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Oh that was thoughtful! Congratulations on your acceptance :)

so i'm annoyed........

I called my premed advisor(who btw is actually a really good advisor, not one of those crappy ones) about my "continue to review" status and asked her about writing a letter of intent and to my surprise she told me not to! I really feel like I want them to know they are my number one choice, but I respect her opinion, so I wont write the letter...but I'm annoyed about it

Congrats! And thanks so much for not posting Friday. it would have consumed and ruined my weekend!

so i'm annoyed........

I called my premed advisor(who btw is actually a really good advisor, not one of those crappy ones) about my "continue to review" status and asked her about writing a letter of intent and to my surprise she told me not to! I really feel like I want them to know they are my number one choice, but I respect her opinion, so I wont write the letter...but I'm annoyed about it

Wait, why did she say that? I was actually planning to write an update letter as well...

Wait, why did she say that? I was actually planning to write an update letter as well...

In her words "you've already stated your case during the interview, thats why you didn't get rejected." I really am struggling with the idea of doing NOTHING while they compare me to hundreds of others...I can't decide

i interviewed on the 9th of feb and didn't get an email today...

Members don't see this ad :)
In her words "you've already stated your case during the interview, thats why you didn't get rejected." I really am struggling with the idea of doing NOTHING while they compare me to hundreds of others...I can't decide

Oh, I guess I see what she's saying. I think if you don't have anything new to add to your file (i.e. new volunteering, publication, new grades) then the letter of update wouldn't be appropriate, but a letter of intent WOULD be. In that letter, you can re-state your high preference from the school, and you can personalize it/make it interesting with what you saw/learned on your interview day and from seeing the school/students. I'm planning on writing an update letter because I had something published earlier this year, but if I hadn't then I would probably write a letter of intent instead. :D

I still haven't decided what to do. Nothing to update with since I interviewed so late in the season. IDK, we'll see.

And also, someone should lock me out of last year's UW thread, because it is making me crazy going through their waitlist woes etc. It just makes me feel hopeless when I see so many ppl getting rejected or unranked.

I still haven't decided what to do. Nothing to update with since I interviewed so late in the season. IDK, we'll see.

And also, someone should lock me out of last year's UW thread, because it is making me crazy going through their waitlist woes etc. It just makes me feel hopeless when I see so many ppl getting rejected or unranked.

Yeah, last year sucked big time. Too many SDN folk waited til April 1 and either got outright rejected or unranked (might as well be a reject). I don't understand why they wait so long and ultimately reject SO many in the end. Nor do I understand why they have a minimum MCAT cut off mark for an auto-interview, and then use MCAT scores as reasons to reject people who get interviews. Stupid system.

I have heard too many things from the inside that their admissions process has undergone a lot changes, and many bad things came with it. I lost faith in this school and unfortunately left my beloved Seattle for four years to learn medicine somewhere else. For those of you who get in, congrats. For those of you who don't, you'll be just as happy somewhere else, despite what you may trick yourself to believe.

I have heard too many things from the inside that their admissions process has undergone a lot changes, and many bad things came with it. I lost faith in this school and unfortunately left my beloved Seattle for four years to learn medicine somewhere else. For those of you who get in, congrats. For those of you who don't, you'll be just as happy somewhere else, despite what you may trick yourself to believe.
such as what?

Yeah, last year sucked big time. Too many SDN folk waited til April 1 and either got outright rejected or unranked (might as well be a reject). I don't understand why they wait so long and ultimately reject SO many in the end. Nor do I understand why they have a minimum MCAT cut off mark for an auto-interview, and then use MCAT scores as reasons to reject people who get interviews. Stupid system.

Actually Dane, they don't even do auto interview invites anymore, which I think is good because, like you said- why offer the interview if you are just going to reject based on stats in the end. I'm sure they still use it as sort of a guideline, several people on this thread have gotten rejected pre interview who seemed to fall just short of that cut off. So I think this year they will have interviewed fewer IR people, and hopefully wont string as many people out till the end.

Are you at Creighton? Hope its going well for you!

Creighton would have been awesome. That school is amazing and the students there all super cool (lots of WA and CA residents). If any of you have the opportunity to visit Creighton, explore it to the fullest!

I'm actually at Georgetown though. Great here, just a lot colder than Seattle in the winter....and too humid in the summer. I miss the rain and the fresh smell of the NW.

Actually Dane, they don't even do auto interview invites anymore, which I think is good because, like you said- why offer the interview if you are just going to reject based on stats in the end. I'm sure they still use it as sort of a guideline, several people on this thread have gotten rejected pre interview who seemed to fall just short of that cut off. So I think this year they will have interviewed fewer IR people, and hopefully wont string as many people out till the end.

Are you at Creighton? Hope its going well for you!

That's good that they switched that format, though I still think there are several inherent flaws in the UW admissions process. Hopefully they are trying to turn it around after the long Dr. Samson dictatorship.

to those who haven't received e-mails after the last ExCom meeting, there are times when the excom person who interviewed you can't make it to the meeting and your file gets pushed back to be discussed at the next one. last year a few people, including me, were in this situation got continued e-mails when our file hadn't even been discussed. a few too many of us complained about this in our admissions surveys, so perhaps now they're just sending out e-mails to applications that have been voted on.

just a thought, don't lose hope!

Hi all,

Sorry to be stomping into this forum so late in the game (just discovered SDN!). I just wanted to offer my support and encouragement to everyone still waiting. I noticed a lot of people are asking about letters of intent or updates ... you might want to consider contacting your ExCom member directly. He or she may tell you that they already have enough info, but at least you'll have an opportunity to reiterate that you are still very interested in the school and restate your recent activities.

I guess all I want to say is, don't ever give up, hold on with your finger nails if you have to! If you hold on long enough, someone's bound to reach down and pull you up. :cool:

Good Luck everyone and I look forward to seeing you in September! :D

Last edited:
I just got the interview invite to UW!!!!!! SUPER PSYCHED! :laugh:

just got done with wyoming wwami!! a little stressful haha but I loved the campus and the people were awesome.

wow, did they call you? i'm super jealous

yeah they called but it was just the Wyoming doctor probably right after the meeting, I think they really like to let people know

For those of you waiting for news from UWSOM, be glad you're not a MT candidate! Because the MT legislature hasn't funded the 20 seats, NO ONE is being offered admission, even though ExCom may have voted to admit them. UWSOM can't offer something that may not be available if the idiots in the legislature don't fund it!

For those of you waiting for news from UWSOM, be glad you're not a MT candidate! Because the MT legislature hasn't funded the 20 seats, NO ONE is being offered admission, even though ExCom may have voted to admit them. UWSOM can't offer something that may not be available if the idiots in the legislature don't fund it!
Wow, that's pretty bad. I hope the MT legislature rethinks this issue.:(

Well, I got my official letter of 'no thanks' yesterday. :( I did like that they indicate where I can improve my app for next year (more job shadowing), and offer focus group meetings on campus to help better prepare. Congrats to you who have been accepted, I wish you the best!;)

Hey darth, sorry to hear that, good luck with your other schools!

Well, I got my official letter of 'no thanks' yesterday. :( I did like that they indicate where I can improve my app for next year (more job shadowing), and offer focus group meetings on campus to help better prepare. Congrats to you who have been accepted, I wish you the best!;)
when was it postmarked? and when did you interview?

So do my eyes deceive me, or is there another EXCOM meeting today from 3-5PM?

So do my eyes deceive me, or is there another EXCOM meeting today from 3-5PM?
yes! it looks like there is one 2x a week until March 13. But are these WWAMI specific?

When I spoke to someone in the admissions office, she said that if you're "under consideration", don't expect to hear a decision until the final meeting. She said it's very rare that someone gets off early.

On another note, are any of you guys OOR? I was thinking that if they're accepting only 15 OOR, that they would wait until everyone had been interviewed before giving out any of those spots...I'm trying to rationalize if being under consideration for months is a good sign, a bad sign, or no sign.

I wish I could just relax!! This application process has made me into such a spazz!

Good luck to all my buddies out there! Ami, have you heard anything yet? Wishing you the best :xf:

:cry: yeah so i'm out. good luck everyone! :xf:

Sorry to hear that Ami :( Good luck with your other apps!

Nina, are you thinking of sending an update letter soon? I'm thinking that maybe that extra nudge would be a point in my favor...:luck:

Sorry to hear that Ami :( Good luck with your other apps!

Nina, are you thinking of sending an update letter soon? I'm thinking that maybe that extra nudge would be a point in my favor...:luck:

I am so pathetic, I sent in an update like a month ago with some conferences that I've been going to. Then the next "Under consideration" email I got it had "please send in significant updates, (ie. publication, ect)" in bold :oops: I don't know if that was made special for me. I'm working right now and have little things I could update but I don't think anything qualifies as significant. I wish I had something!! I would send in that update so fast.

On another note, Sorry Ami :( Hopefully you're going to end up somewhere great. Maybe somewhere that doesn't rain half the year? :laugh:

If you have done any recent job shadowing I heard that really helps to send in as a sort of "Job Shadowing Update Letter," especially if you were a little weak in the area before - and then get some good hours in.

If you have done any recent job shadowing I heard that really helps to send in as a sort of "Job Shadowing Update Letter," especially if you were a little weak in the area before - and then get some good hours in.

How do you know if you're weak compared to what they're looking for? What if...I work full time in a health center and basically see patients everyday? But they (hopefully) know that I work full time here. Should I remind them?? Haha.

(If this comes across as sarcastic, it's not meant to be. I'm just spazzy as March nears!)

Just curious, I have a really late OOR interview, are the interviews still heavily based on health policy etc. and are they still relatively aggressive about questions? Any help would be appreciated!

Just curious, I have a really late OOR interview, are the interviews still heavily based on health policy etc. and are they still relatively aggressive about questions? Any help would be appreciated!

Definitely still based pretty heavily on health policy. They also seem to like to build on the questions they ask. So for example I got one multi part ethics question, 2 multi step policy questions. But they weren't aggressive (in my opinion). I recommend the health policy book by bodenheimer, although it might be getting too close for that

feel free to pm with any other questions

Your profile says medical student, so are you transferring to UW? If so, then the interview may be different for you. Good luck:luck:.

Your profile says medical student, so are you transferring to UW? If so, then the interview may be different for you. Good luck:luck:.

Haha sorry for the confusion! I was really happy I got an acceptance into my #1 school so I changed my status on SDN! It was a spur of the moment kinda thing.

And yes Doc Henry, I have Bodenheimer's text and another text that I am working on finishing up...so hopefully that'll be enough preparation between the reading and the SDN interview feedback. I'm really psyched about my OHSU acceptance, but UW is a really great school too, so we'll see how the interview goes? . :cool:

-edit-

Cool avatar megamega!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.