2008-2009 University of Virginia (UVA) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know if UVA is still sending out interview invites??

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if UVA is still sending out interview invites??

When I talked to them on January 5th, they had January spots still open... and they interview till March... so I would say... YES!

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I'm still waiting on one from them (and I know a lot of other people who are too)!

Amen--still waiting here!

I heard that they are going just barely into march on the dates, and that the groups are small each time?

I would LOVE to get an interview from UVA. Pretty please?

Hey for those people who were complete way back in AUG, or whenever, but still haven't heard anything, and are IN STATE...(including myself)...should we call them or something?...wonder if it helps...

Hey for those people who were complete way back in AUG, or whenever, but still haven't heard anything, and are IN STATE...(including myself)...should we call them or something?...wonder if it helps...

It's like describing me!

I'm not sure if calling would help... What are you going to say? Maybe it will help?! Hm, :confused:

It would be nice to know if they're still offering interviews to us IS people. For some reason I get the feeling that they wanted to end up with a class with really high stats this year...

Just thought I'd let you guys know I'm withdrawing after getting an interview invite a couple weeks ago. So I know there's at least one more spot for the end of January ;). Just couldn't afford the trip for a possible acceptance when I'm already accepted to some good schools. Good Luck to you all, I really loved Charlottesville when I lived there!

FYI: I'm OOS

Well... One of my friends at UVA got an interview invite back in December for a mid-Dec interview... She had just avg GPA (maybe even on a slightly lower side), applied in Sept or Oct, and had an ok MCAT score with barely any clinical hours... She's a URM though. And she's a very nice and mature person so maybe that was reflected in her PS or LORs...

Anyway, I think UVA has been pretty "unpredictable" this year based on my friends' early acceptances last year and seeing many similarly qualified people this year not even having had an interview invite. Our premed advisor at UVA told me that she's also had many applicants come to complain about that this cycle... And peoceeded to tell me that I probably haven't heard back from UVA b/c maybe my application isn't very special. Um...anyway, I'm digressing.

Well... One of my friends at UVA got an interview invite back in December for a mid-Dec interview... She had just avg GPA (maybe even on a slightly lower side), applied in Sept or Oct, and had an ok MCAT score with barely any clinical hours... She's a URM though. And she's a very nice and mature person so maybe that was reflected in her PS or LORs...

Anyway, I think UVA has been pretty "unpredictable" this year based on my friends' early acceptances last year and seeing many similarly qualified people this year not even having had an interview invite. Our premed advisor at UVA told me that she's also had many applicants come to complain about that this cycle... And peoceeded to tell me that I probably haven't heard back from UVA b/c maybe my application isn't very special. Um...anyway, I'm digressing.

Well apparently Duke, NYU, AECOM, and University of Maryland found your application "special." I hate when advisors say crap like that.

edit: what a dumb idea. Seemed fine at the time :p

And Chad, I totally agree. I'm a bit frustrated that I haven't actually gotten any solid help from the adviser, yet I did get crappy comments.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
funkydrmonkey, when is your interview date? mine is on the 20th =)

although this is the first time i'm reading this thread, i can definitely attest to uva's unpredictability. i actually submitted my secondary on 12/12 (don't ask me why) and i received an interview invite in the mail on 12/26. to this day, i can't quite figure out how exactly that happened, but i aint complainin' ^^

good luck to everyone else who's waiting for an invite, i have a feeling that they will definitely be sending out more

funkydrmonkey, when is your interview date? mine is on the 20th =)

although this is the first time i'm reading this thread, i can definitely attest to uva's unpredictability. i actually submitted my secondary on 12/12 (don't ask me why) and i received an interview invite in the mail on 12/26. to this day, i can't quite figure out how exactly that happened, but i aint complainin' ^^

good luck to everyone else who's waiting for an invite, i have a feeling that they will definitely be sending out more

Awww, Mine is Feb 2nd... I could have gotten a January date, but I was already going to Richmond on Feb 4th, so I wanted to bunch them together...Good luck!

Grrr. I want UVA invite plz. K. thx. bi.

Me too. Think I'll get anywhere if I send this to the admissions office?
view.aspx

Last week, I emailed UVA asking them about an interview with one of those "in the area" emails. Anyways, they responded! The dates that were available don't help my other interview, but I still have an invitation for March 5th! Makes me wonder if they just forgot about my file or something...

Is that date pretty late in the game with little chance of an acceptance?

Just got an interview invite (interview is in march) after being complete forever. I recently sent an update letter... maybe that helped. I hope there are spots left in the class!

EDIT: Anyone have insight if this interview spot is likely very competitve for an acceptance this late in the game? It seems UVA has been slower than many schools throughout the process, so that may be a good sign. On the phone, they said they are still giving out acceptances.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite (interview is in march) after being complete forever. I recently sent an update letter... maybe that helped. I hope there are spots left in the class!

EDIT: Anyone have insight if this interview spot is likely very competitve for an acceptance this late in the game? It seems UVA has been slower than many schools throughout the process, so that may be a good sign. On the phone, they said they are still giving out acceptances.

I wouldn't say "very" competitive, but it does seem more likely that you are at a disadvantage in March. That being said, I know plenty of people who were accepted with late interview dates (including myself). Point being: prepare well, be polite, and things should fall into place.

Last week, I emailed UVA asking them about an interview with one of those "in the area" emails. Anyways, they responded! The dates that were available don't help my other interview, but I still have an invitation for March 5th! Makes me wonder if they just forgot about my file or something...

Is that date pretty late in the game with little chance of an acceptance?

Hi, what is an "in the area" email?

And, to whose email address did you send it to? The dean of admissions (Canterbury), the director of admissions (Thomas), or..?

Thanks

Hi, what is an "in the area" email?

And, to whose email address did you send it to? The dean of admissions (Canterbury), the director of admissions (Thomas), or..?

Thanks

I had an interview at VCU, and for financial reasons, I wanted to do both interviews in the same trip. I just sent it to the admissions office email address.

I have a feeling that interview invitations are winding down, since I just got one and they said it was scheduled for the last week of interviews.

I have a feeling that interview invitations are winding down, since I just got one and they said it was scheduled for the last week of interviews.

How sad... I sent in an update letter about a month ago and about 2 weeks ago, they told me that they had just added it to my file... but heard nothing yet since then.

I don't wanna go here for med school anyway! :mad:

Just kidding, it's a wonderful school - I'm just feeling saddened that I didn't get invited for an interview and feeling a little bitter about that. Meh...

How sad... I sent in an update letter about a month ago and about 2 weeks ago, they told me that they had just added it to my file... but heard nothing yet since then.

I don't wanna go here for med school anyway! :mad:

Just kidding, it's a wonderful school - I'm just feeling saddened that I didn't get invited for an interview and feeling a little bitter about that. Meh...

Have you done research? I think that is why I never got an invite until I sent a research-centered update letter.

I got the Second Look Weekend invite. It's from March 27 - 29. Anyone else planning on going?

I'm really hoping to be able to go...three days is a bit long though! Did they mention anything about housing?

Have you done research? I think that is why I never got an invite until I sent a research-centered update letter.

I do have research experience (included in my AMCAS). I've gotten interview invites at even more research-oriented schools... meh.

I'm really hoping to be able to go...three days is a bit long though! Did they mention anything about housing?

Mine said not to make other arrangements because they're putting me up in the Marriot Courtyard on campus. I would hope that was the same for the rest of you guys :)

Has anyone that's been accepted received a scholarship? I'm specifically curious about the in-state tuition scholarships for out-of-state applicants. When are those given out?

I don't think you find out about this until you submit your financial aid information after acceptance iirc. ;)

Yeah I think that's right - I seem to remember them saying that most of the scholarships are given out according to need, which would definitely require financial aid info first ;)

Just found out I'm getting an interview. I never thought this would happen.

Yeah I think that's right - I seem to remember them saying that most of the scholarships are given out according to need, which would definitely require financial aid info first ;)

They send out merit scholarship offers (which are, according to their financial aid guy, rare) with their acceptances. Only need-based aid is determined later.

Mine said not to make other arrangements because they're putting me up in the Marriot Courtyard on campus. I would hope that was the same for the rest of you guys :)

What the hell? My invitation said that they cannot afford accomodation for me. That's bogus

What the hell? My invitation said that they cannot afford accomodation for me. That's bogus

They may provide you a med student's info to contact regarding a place to stay for that second look date, so don't fret just yet.

uva accepts about 1/2 of people they interview, so pretty good odds. i went to med school at uva and am now a resident here, i thought it was a great education and we tend to have awesome residency matches, especially in the past few years.
for those of you going to the 2nd look weekend, if you can't stay with a student there are several hotels within walking distance... two of them are the hampton inn and red roof inn. good luck to all of you!:luck:

I withdrew my interview invitation for 3/5 today. Hopefully, one of you will get it! Good luck :)

me too. Mine was 3/2, i wanted to reschedule but that week is the last week they interview people, so I had to withdrew. Hope those of you who are still waiting for UVA get interviews.

Thanks to both of you. Good luck where you're going.

I called the Admissions office and they said they still had spots to fill up to that first week in March.

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist movement at UVA?:(

haha so i interviewed at a different school with a professor who had taught at uva med for like 7 years some time ago. during the interview, she asked if i had also applied to uva med; i said yes; and she just assumed for the rest of the interview that i had interviewed at uva med and all that (she brought up things regarding that...). not that it's relevant for this thread or anything.... because still no love for me from uva med.... sigh. but good luck to you all. it's a beautiful school. and i'm really going to miss bodo's bagels.

Status
Not open for further replies.