2008-2009 University of Maryland Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:xf: crosses fingers! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received updates on their post interview hold status?

No...and its making me nervous!!!

I live in Canada so naturally I am expecting my mail to arrive later than everyone else but I would have figured that IS applicants would have already received something.

gah. this waiting is killing me. i would definitely go here if i got in since i got such a good vibe from the interview and the facilities are pretty nice.

What's the website to check your status? I can only get to the website with your secondary application review

Hey everyone. I emailed Dr. Foxwell what's up and he said that they are sending out decisions this week via mail. So check your mailboxes.

hey hey, come on now. i know people are frustrated. but it really isn't the end of the world. surprising or not, it really isn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like given the May 15th deadline, they would have been pretty expedient about notifying people they have since accepted. My supervisor said they've been looking through the people on post-interview hold for a few weeks before now...considering I live not 10 miles from the school my letter won't have far to go. So far nothing.

:(

maybe they'll call or something. hah i guess we'll find out in 2 days.

The group-think logic going on here confuses me a bit. True they've been sorting through the pre-interview hold people for a couple weeks, but of course they are unlikely to send out notifications regarding further acceptances and/or waitlist status until after the May 15th deadline. They have to see how many people withdraw before they know if they can accept anyone else. Most medical schools typically have classes which are oversubscribed at this point as people continue to hold multiple acceptances. That will only change after May 15th and they can get a good look at where the class currrently stands. You'll all find out where you stand soon enough, just a little more patience. :)

Does anyone know why May 15th is chosen? Why the hell not April... or March? I feel that it's fairly ridiculous that people can sit around with 8987493587 acceptances and wonder.....hmm what school shall I attend? All of this while people are stressed and pulling their hair out. I think the worst part is that you're expected to pause your life for an entire year while these schools slowly consider your app.

The group-think logic going on here confuses me a bit. True they've been sorting through the pre-interview hold people for a couple weeks, but of course they are unlikely to send out notifications regarding further acceptances and/or waitlist status until after the May 15th deadline. They have to see how many people withdraw before they know if they can accept anyone else.

True that they can't fully know the extent of where they stand until after May 15th, but assuming that even half of the people holding multiple acceptances withdrew before the beginning of the month, at least someone (ideally) would have gotten an acceptance notification by now. Though SDN is not a representative sample and I have no idea what the protocol is for people holding multiple acceptances (ie, how many hold them until the end)

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

My Advisor spoke to Dr. Foxwell and he said that over 200 people were put on hold. I would imagine the majority being IS. So... That means that they did not over accept too much since they only inteview between 350-400 IS a year anyway.

I called the Admissions Office yesterday and they said they do not need to notify us by May 15th. So I dont know if we will be hearing anything by tomm or not.

Well good luck to everyone!

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

My Advisor spoke to Dr. Foxwell and he said that over 200 people were put on hold. I would imagine the majority being IS. So... That means that they did not over accept too much since they only inteview between 350-400 IS a year anyway.

I called the Admissions Office yesterday and they said they do not need to notify us by May 15th. So I dont know if we will be hearing anything by tomm or not.

Well good luck to everyone!

Last year they interviewed 562 people.

Last year they interviewed 562 people.

Total? My MSAR from the year before said they interviewed 352 IS and like 200 OOS. You could be right, but I think 562 may be more indicitive of total interviews In state and Out of state.

The majority of the holds were IS so that is why I said IS interviews numbers.

Total? My MSAR from the year before said they interviewed 352 IS and like 200 OOS. You could be right, but I think 562 may be more indicitive of total interviews In state and Out of state.

The majority of the holds were IS so that is why I said IS interviews numbers.

Oh, i see, my bads, yeah, that was a total number. How do you know the break-out of holds between IS and OOS?

The last time I spoke with Dr. Foxwell he said the class was still over-subscribed and that was a month ago, though he did not say how much. Also, historically, the majority of people hold onto all or most of their acceptances until the very deadline and withdraw only the day of or the day before. This is especially true of a state school, where people will hold onto their IS acceptance as they review financial aid packages from all their accepted schools and try to decide between private tuition, out of state tuition, and their IS school. I know its a tough process, I've been there; I was waitlisted at Maryland during my first application cycle. But hang in there, the answers are coming and coming soon.

Edit to say: Additionally, they typically send out everything in a batch at this point, so if there any additional acceptances they send out will likely be in a batch at the same time or only shortly before they send out the waitlist letters.

Last edited:
Yup, got a letter today (dated the 12th) saying they were still oversubcribed, and 87 peeple went to the waitlist of which I am at the bottom half (somewhere).

Looks like I have to reapply. Ah, the fun. :)

Yup, got a letter today (dated the 12th) saying they were still oversubcribed, and 87 peeple went to the waitlist of which I am at the bottom half (somewhere).

Looks like I have to reapply. Ah, the fun. :)

Sorry eshlow. Thanks for posting. I know reupping isnt easy, but you made it pretty close which must be a good sign; good luck next year! I was in your boat last year, PM if you have any questions, not that i necessarily know what im doing ...

Seems like a relatively short waitlist ...

Empty mailbox when I got home...frick! Intra-city mail is usually pretty fast around here in Baltimore too :confused:

At least they said how many people are on the list I guess, though I agree in that 87 seems low.

"Bottom one-half" as well. Anyone recently accepted? Rejected? If 200 people were on post-interview hold what happened to the other 113?

"Bottom one-half" as well. Anyone recently accepted? Rejected? If 200 people were on post-interview hold what happened to the other 113?

...there are gonna be a few unhappy people posting rejections...

ok. expecting an envelope from maryland in the mailbox. tomorrow. i live in virginia so you'd think it wouldn't take too long...

AHhh that crazy. I have been waiting and waiting for some news and it is days away. I hope it is something good.

The waitlist that is 87 people is that the bottom half number? maybe the whole waitlist is 174??? Any clarity from someone that recieved it??

are they sending out the letters in batches depending on the decision? it looks like so far only those with the "bottom half waitlist" decision have gotten letters... unless im mistaken...

wow, 3 11:00 hour posts; crunch time.
May 15!! everyone who has a maryland acceptance, this is the time to drop it!

are they sending out the letters in batches depending on the decision? it looks like so far only those with the "bottom half waitlist" decision have gotten letters... unless im mistaken...

200 people post-interview held.
44 people in the bottom half of the waitlist.

Hypothesis: All letters went out at the same time; its just random luck that all 4 who posted happened to be on the WL, in the bottom half.

(44/200)^4 = .2%, can reject that hypothesis.

Last edited:
bottom half as well. at least i have one acceptance, but md is my first choice...and in state. booo:(

bottom half as well. at least i have one acceptance, but md is my first choice...and in state. booo:(

Sorry about that :(. Congrats on going to be a doctor though:)!

Why does the mail always take forever on days I am expecting important stuff.

Augh. I have to leave for graduation in 15 minutes... the mail better be here before then.

Good Luck everyone. I would say in a case like this. No news is good news. Bad news is probably going to be sent first.

You are in the same EXACT boat as me, mc. NYMC and all. See you in August :oops:

Why does the mail always take forever on days I am expecting important stuff.

Augh. I have to leave for graduation in 15 minutes... the mail better be here before then.

Good Luck everyone. I would say in a case like this. No news is good news. Bad news is probably going to be sent first.

I hope so, nice that it seems the top-half letters havent gone out, but im worried that we havent heard of any of the rejection letters come out either. Good luck to us!

Congrats on your graduation!

I just got a letter that I'm on the upper half of the wait list. The letter ways that the total wait list is 178 students and I'm in the top 87. (My dad read it to me at work, so those numbers may be off a bit, but certainly not by much).

Good luck everyone else!

I just got a letter that I'm on the upper half of the wait list. The letter ways that the total wait list is 178 students and I'm in the top 87. (My dad read it to me at work, so those numbers may be off a bit, but certainly not by much).

Good luck everyone else!

Congrats. Oh, that seems more like the size of the WL we were expecting ...

Upper half too, 187. It also mentions an email in mid June informing us of any waitlist movement.

Just as a general FYI it still says the class is overbooked as of 5/12...

FYI, I spoke with admissions yesterday and they said that everyone on post-interview hold is waitlisted.

waitlist too. bottom half. oh well, would have been nice to go here.

FYI, I spoke with admissions yesterday and they said that everyone on post-interview hold is waitlisted.

Yes, I heard this too. Also on your profile it says that Drexel said the class was full. Really? When?

Status
Not open for further replies.