2008-2009 University of Maryland Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-interview hold; second time; third hold. Maryland loves to hold me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hahaha! You're welcome! Do you know if any one from our group has heard yet? He said next week, didn't he?

Is that so?

Dr. Foxwell said in our interview session today it was around 200 or so. Unless I misheard that is.

LQshvilli: thanks for letting me borrow your pen! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-interview hold; second time; third hold. Maryland loves to hold me.

They just don't want you to feel used afterwards.

...haha. Sorry, I had to. Too perfect :-D

hahaha! You're welcome! Do you know if any one from our group has heard yet? He said next week, didn't he?
Yup supposedly. 4 weeks would be 4/15... so it seems like the posts in this thread indicate that they get mail by that Friday or so.

I really hope I get in. Probably should've sent a letter of intent.

So I had my interview 3/18 and remember Dr. Foxwell saying that the ADCOM meets on Mondays and our decisions would be made 4/13...I've been spazzing since yesterday at 9am..

I hope my crazy neurotic vibes aren't being sent to them..eeek. :scared:

Has anyone had the guts to call?!

Is interviewing season over for Maryland? If not, when is it?

So I had my interview 3/18 and remember Dr. Foxwell saying that the ADCOM meets on Mondays and our decisions would be made 4/13...I've been spazzing since yesterday at 9am..

I hope my crazy neurotic vibes aren't being sent to them..eeek. :scared:

Has anyone had the guts to call?!
No guts to call, haha.

Like I said though from reading all of the things in this thread, the mail generally comes the Friday of that week.

So probably 2 days from now on Fri or Sat we'll get mail for the 3/18 interview.

Wait list. Interview 3/18. Got the letter today (4/17). At least they sent it when they promised. First time that's ever happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad. It's not waitlist. It's a post-interview hold. Didn't read the letter carefully enough. It's dated April 14th.

Wait list. Interview 3/18. Got the letter today (4/17). At least they sent it when they promised. First time that's ever happened.
Post-hold.

Looks like they really want to see who is gonna come to the university before they accept anyone else.

Hopefully people will make their decisions soon.

so i interviewed on March 23rd and got a letter on friday dated April 14, and they said they were "unable to make a final decision" on my application, and im still actively under review. has anybody else gotten this??

so i interviewed on March 23rd and got a letter on friday dated April 14, and they said they were "unable to make a final decision" on my application, and im still actively under review. has anybody else gotten this??

Yes. Everyone and their mother...even though mine got her Ph.D. at Maryland :p Who knows what's going on in those committee meetings - maybe they're waiting to see who can stomach the astronomical OOS attendance costs.

Hope someone who got this hears good news sometime soon! Almost all MD residents with average(ish) numbers has gotten this hold.

There does seem to be quite a lot of people getting this "on hold" status. A lot more than people getting accepted. I would understand this to be that they dont want to do rolling admissions for average numbers and will deciede at the end.... Meaning that they will be handing out a good bit of acceptances in a couple of weeks. (Maybe wishful thinking)

However, there are some debbie downers on this page that seem to think there is not a shot in hell of getting in after being put on hold.

Who really knows what is going to happen. I am anxious to see!

Good luck to everybody...I know I really dont want to mustard up an extra 120K in tutition to go outta state.

There does seem to be quite a lot of people getting this "on hold" status. A lot more than people getting accepted. I would understand this to be that they dont want to do rolling admissions for average numbers and will deciede at the end.... Meaning that they will be handing out a good bit of acceptances in a couple of weeks. (Maybe wishful thinking)

However, there are some debbie downers on this page that seem to think there is not a shot in hell of getting in after being put on hold.

Who really knows what is going to happen. I am anxious to see!

Good luck to everybody...I know I really dont want to mustard up an extra 120K in tutition to go outta state.

Yeah, i think the question is, is there really a huge ratio of holds to acceptances, or is that just an artifact of who's on SDN. I guess someone could go through and see if there is an unusually high amount of holds on SDN this year compared to last, but probably not worth it ...

Yeah, i think the question is, is there really a huge ratio of holds to acceptances, or is that just an artifact of who's on SDN. I guess someone could go through and see if there is an unusually high amount of holds on SDN this year compared to last, but probably not worth it ...

Yeah... I am too lazy. I will just wait 3 weeks and see then

I remember Dr.Foxwell saying the admission committee meets on Mondays and the lady from the admissions office told me the commitee will meet towards the end of April to make final decisions on post-interview hold applicants this means that the admission committee is either meeting today or next monday to make decisions on applicants who are placed on post interview hold. Just thought i'd throw it out there.

I would understand this to be that they dont want to do rolling admissions for average numbers and will decide at the end.... Meaning that they will be handing out a good bit of acceptances in a couple of weeks. (Maybe wishful thinking)

Where did this opinion come from? Especially that they "dont want to do rolling admissions for average students"? Isnt rolling admissions, just that, rolling admissions?

I feel like the high number of holds handed out late in the app cycle are due what other folks have said, that they are waiting for ppl to withdraw, and then will be willing to hand out more acceptances.

Im sure it is really a tough job to hit the class size right on the button every year. But, this hold method, while lame and more or less purgatory for you folks, probably helps them work out the numbers.

Where did this opinion come from? Especially that they "dont want to do rolling admissions for average students"? Isnt rolling admissions, just that, rolling admissions?

I feel like the high number of holds handed out late in the app cycle are due what other folks have said, that they are waiting for ppl to withdraw, and then will be willing to hand out more acceptances.

Im sure it is really a tough job to hit the class size right on the button every year. But, this hold method, while lame and more or less purgatory for you folks, probably helps them work out the numbers.

...except that they've been handing them out almost the entire process. I interviewed in January and several people who interviewed long before me go the same hold I did. I'm not envying Dr. Foxwell's job, it would just be nice to have a final decision made rather than stay in limbo. Maybe then it would be easier to accept the fact that I'll be paying a crapload more to go to school at NYMC than I possibly would have to go to Maryland.

fair enough.

my fault for generalizing based on the recent posts.

...except that they've been handing them out almost the entire process. I interviewed in January and several people who interviewed long before me go the same hold I did. I'm not envying Dr. Foxwell's job, it would just be nice to have a final decision made rather than stay in limbo. Maybe then it would be easier to accept the fact that I'll be paying a crapload more to go to school at NYMC than I possibly would have to go to Maryland.

Yeah there were a lot of hold given out all season. I inteviewed early nov and a friend of mine (similiar stats) interviewed in sept... both given holds. I am not saying i know the system but it just seems that there is a very high proportion of holds to acceptances for IS interviews. It very well could be just a messed up sample.

are these "holds" that you guys are talking about referring to the post interview letters saying that you still havent been accepted rejected or waitlisted?

It very well could be just a messed up sample.

I wonder if SDN is a poor sampling or not... in the C/O 2013 thread, we've seen a few OOS's bail in recent weeks after financial aid came out. It seems quite probable to me that folks all over are reacting similarly whether or not they are a regular contributor to SDN.

all together, I bet you all are right in saying that you should stay quite positive about your chances.

are these "holds" that you guys are talking about referring to the post interview letters saying that you still havent been accepted rejected or waitlisted?

Yeah thats the one...

It does seem odd that there are so many of these... especially when UMaryland has accepted about 220 of its 350ish IS interviews. Maybe the interview more this year

I called the admissions office today to talk to them about what a "hold" means. The lady said that they will review our applications again. She said that we will have a definite answer (whether waitlist, accept, reject) by the middle of May. They are starting to go over the applicants that are on hold. Interviewing season is over for Maryland.

withdrew the acceptance.. hope one of y'all gets it. good luck!

When is the last day to withdraw if accepted?

isnt it always may15?

May 15th is the universal "last day" by which you must commit to one school and withdraw from others. You can not hold multiple acceptances past May 15th. If, after May 15th, you are accepted to another school, you must make your decision between that school and the acceptance you are holding within a timely manner (I think most consider 1-2 weeks timely).

any new news on post-interview hold status updates?

A lady in the office told me we would hear around mid-May. A current student told me Dean Foxwell told him he was working on the wait list this week. So should be soon...

A lady in the office told me we would hear around mid-May. A current student told me Dean Foxwell told him he was working on the wait list this week. So should be soon...

If we happen to make the wait-list, are we notified of out of out position?

so is this post-interview hold now either wait-list or reject? is anyone getting an acceptance from this hold?

so is this post-interview hold now either wait-list or reject? is anyone getting an acceptance from this hold?

I don't think necessarily. My guess is they would give out any acceptances not much earlier then they send out the waitlist ranking, which it seems like will be a couple weeks from now. My impression from following this last year is that only a very few post-interview holds get acceptances before the waitlist is assembled, and even fewer get straight rejected, if any at all. I guess things could be different this year, but the website does still say that most post-interview holds will end up on the waitlist.

So... my impression is that no matter how uncertain they are, they would at least *notify* us of our *final* decision before May 15th, even if they're all rejections or WLs. It's like a week and a half before May 15th, I interviewed back in October, and I don't even know where I stand, other than: "no final decision has been made on your file." Aren't all schools supposed to send out final decisions by March??

:mad:

same exact situation for me. i called yesterday, and they said they'd let us know in the next 2 weeks.

really. in the next 2 weeks. and i have to make a decision by may 15.

hey, at least you have a decision to make. There are some of us that'd kill for an acceptance at this point. I'm on too many waitlists to count- May 15th can't get here soon enough.

I do agree though- It'd be nice to see where we stand. What are your opinions regarding the holds? Just a nice rejection, or do we actually stand a chance?

hey, at least you have a decision to make. There are some of us that'd kill for an acceptance at this point. I'm on too many waitlists to count- May 15th can't get here soon enough.

I do agree though- It'd be nice to see where we stand. What are your opinions regarding the holds? Just a nice rejection, or do we actually stand a chance?

I'm on the same exact boat. 4 waitlists + this "hold." The decision from here could make or break my life. I'm going to be very very annoyed and disappointed with the school if after all this time, all they say is "Sorry, rejected." So hopefully not.

Just figured I'd send some good luck your way, guys (and girls). Hopefully a bunch of you will be posting over in the C/O 2013 thread soon.

Just figured I'd send some good luck your way, guys (and girls). Hopefully a bunch of you will be posting over in the C/O 2013 thread soon.
One would hope.

Like luckyducky & 30 this is pretty much one of those things where if Maryland doesn't accept, then I have to start preparing my application for the next cycle. Actually, I should start preparing now my committee stuff to send to my university again.

Even if put on a waitlist you can't just assume it will move.... especially with Maryland.

Yeah, I hope so :oops: Won't hold my breath though it would be nice to have half the cost of attendance at Maryland vs where it looks like I will no other choice but to go in August. Just didn't get the same feeling about the school as I did at the prospect of staying at home (and where I already work!)

C'est la vie.

I wanted to let everyone know that I withdrew from UMD today. Hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you guys. Good luck!!! :luck:

I wanted to let everyone know that I withdrew from UMD today. Hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you guys. Good luck!!! :luck:

Thank you, good luck at Georgetown, enjoy DC!
IS / OOS, can i ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.