2008-2009 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Secondary Application Thre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called & got my status from Wanda Taylor.... I am on hold :(

Members don't see this ad.

was that already for this time around? Or were you EDP?

Sorry I should have clarified. I am a re-applicant from last year, was on the OOS waiting list. I reapplied EDP this year, and was put on "hold". Haven't heard anything today, not that I thought I would.

mheart... glad I have some good company!

I was reading over the email from Joan and I cannot figure out where I am supposed to go tomorrow morning for the interview day. The schedule says "601 Clinical Science Building" but I can't find that on the map they provide. Can anyone helpme out? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cetona- Go into downtown on Calhoun street and take your 2nd left onto Jonathon Lucas Street and the Clinical Science building is on your right. There is parking on the right, just past the clinical science building (so you don't have to do the 50 cents for thirty minutes that the email says to do). Hope this helps

Oh yeah, and 601 is the 6th floor, get off the elevator and take a right and its the first door straight ahead (its the deans office).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I was reading over the email from Joan and I cannot figure out where I am supposed to go tomorrow morning for the interview day. The schedule says "601 Clinical Science Building" but I can't find that on the map they provide. Can anyone helpme out? Thanks.

Hey! Just thought I would provide a little more clarification. If you are coming from James Island and onto Calhoun St, then take a left at Jonathon Lucas. If you are coming from downtown, you will turn right onto Jonathon Lucas, after passing a bunch of MUSC buildings. I promise you will see it! The Clinical Science Building is on the RIGHT. It is pretty hard to miss. Parking is right across the street from it, but you have to take a left at the next stop sign to get to it. They give you a parking voucher, too. Once you walk into the CSB through the revolving doors, go about 20 feet down the hall and you will see elevators to your right. Take them up to the 6th floor (which isn't the top floor!) and the Dean's Office is on your right when you get off... there is a big sign. If you need any help most people should be able to point you in the right direction. Let me know if you need anymore clarification. Good luck and have a great interview day!

Wow, thanks MILK07 I did give misinformation, I was just typing fast. Glad you corrected me, I appreciate it, and I edited it to be correct!! Good luck Cetona, hope all goes well!

I don't know if anyone still needs this information, but I received my acceptance e-mail around 4PM yesterday (October 30th)! :D So excited!

I think everyone should have gotten their emails already. I assume that they did, since I don't see any more freaking out on the boards. Yay for MUSC lol, way to keep us on edge!!

Actually, when I got my interview scheduled, I didn't have any of my secondaries in yet!!! THey only gave me a week notice so I was super scrambling with my LORs!!!

Thanks Milk07! Has anyone ever heard of someone getting off hold before the waitlist comes around? sigh...

congrats to everyone who got accepted, & good luck to everyone who still has to interview!

Anybody else have good news?

For people who are curious, I discovered the book that they use to weight GPA is "Barron's Profiles of Academic Colleges". Also, post-interview, the interviews are weighted 50% and academics are weighted 50% when determining who they accept.

So, I was out of town this weekend, but i just got my letter AND email today and I'm IN!!!! :) It feels great to know that I'm in somewhere!! It's not for sure that I'm going to MUSC, but I'm definitely leaning that way. I'm going to wait until Christmas to make my decision...good luck to everyone else! Thanks for all the help, this feed has been so great.

For people who are curious, I discovered the book that they use to weight GPA is "Barron's Profiles of Academic Colleges". Also, post-interview, the interviews are weighted 50% and academics are weighted 50% when determining who they accept.
Are you sure about this? I thought I remembered Wanda Taylor describing it like this: adding the MCAT + GPA (with your school bonus, then x10) + application + interview and giving you a score based on those fourths. If your score was higher than the current first years' average (or some value based on their class scores), you got an acceptance.

Maybe I'm confusing them with USC's methods. Hmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees get acceptances? The MSAR only has the numbers for interview and matriculated, but not accepted. Also, for people who interviewed this month, I can't remember exactly - did they say they would be notifying us on the day before thanksgiving?

Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees get acceptances? The MSAR only has the numbers for interview and matriculated, but not accepted. Also, for people who interviewed this month, I can't remember exactly - did they say they would be notifying us on the day before thanksgiving?

They meet on the last Tuesday of each month, and usually send out acceptance emails the day after they meet. Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of the month, so that would make sense.... But don't get your hopes up to much, sometimes it takes a while to get the emails out so it may be after thanksgiving.

Hey folks,

I am OOS. I have close ties to the state (mother lives there in Charleston, uncle practices in Columbia) and I graduate from C of C. Has anyone received any OOS interviews? I have absolutely no idea how competitive I am at MUSC. Certainly if they are only interviewing IVY League elites then I am out.

Any input from interviewee's would be well appreciated.

Hey folks,

I am OOS. I have close ties to the state (mother lives there in Charleston, uncle practices in Columbia) and I graduate from C of C. Has anyone received any OOS interviews? I have absolutely no idea how competitive I am at MUSC. Certainly if they are only interviewing IVY League elites then I am out.

Any input from interviewee's would be well appreciated.

as far as i remember they weren't going to review ours until November

I was born in VA but now live in SC, so I had to prove that I was a resident before they would decide to interview me or not. I was finally declared a resident at the end of Oct, and I hadn't heard anything so I emailed Joan last week. She said that they had me down to interview in early Jan. but that they wouldn't send the interview emails until the first week of Dec.

So I am thinking that a lot of OOS people will be getting emails then.

I was born in VA but now live in SC, so I had to prove that I was a resident before they would decide to interview me or not. I was finally declared a resident at the end of Oct, and I hadn't heard anything so I emailed Joan last week. She said that they had me down to interview in early Jan. but that they wouldn't send the interview emails until the first week of Dec.

So I am thinking that a lot of OOS people will be getting emails then.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder what the numbers are for OOS applied/interviewed/accepted/matriculated

Interesting, thanks. I wonder what the numbers are for OOS applied/interviewed/accepted/matriculated

If I remember correctly from last year, about 1700 applied, 35 were interviewed, 10 were accepted, 10 were waitlisted, and 10 matriculated. I am not sure how many people got off the waitlist though. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Do you know the numbers for instate?

Do you know the numbers for instate?

On the admissions brochure, it says that 454 in-state applied, 347 were interviewed, and 155 matriculated. It doesn't say how many total were accepted, unfortunately. Or anything about the waitlist.

I think you can search threads from last year and there is some info about how many people were waitlisted and about how many got off the waitlist.

I think the ADCOM were meeting tomorrow? It is the last Tuesday of the month, so who knows. Maybe there will be more acceptances before thanksgiving!

I received an acceptance e-mail from Wand Taylor this morning. The e-mail said they were sending a single mass e-mail to everyone who was accepted because of time restraints so that we would know before Thanksgiving. Here is the text: "I am sending this out as a mass email to everyone who was accepted. I wish I could write each of you a personal note, but there is limited time because of the holidays. I thought it more important to get out a quick email to set your mind at ease as quickly as possible."

Congrats Cetona, If you choose to come to MUSC, Ill see you next year!

Random question for all MUSC applicants this year (answer if you want) - What's your MCAT, GPA, URM(yes/no), and current status (accepted/hold/other) ?

Random question for all MUSC applicants this year (answer if you want) - What's your MCAT, GPA, URM(yes/no), and current status (accepted/hold/other) ?

No
On hold after interview (boo)
also in-state

MCAT: 34Q
GPA: 3.6
URM: No

Hope this helps

28S

over 3.9 GPA

Not URM

in-state acceptance

Last edited:

32Q, 3.9 GPA (science and cumulative), not URM, in-state acceptance

Where, if anywhere, else have some of you been accepted?

Does anyone have news? What's up with the SC threads? We have only hit page 3.

For real, I checked a couple weeks ago and pretty much nothing has changed.

I have heard from a few different people that I know that things are slow right now. Besides the 2 or 3 people that posted on here I haven't heard of anyone being accepted since the EDP round. Surely people have heard something lately, right?

So I finally have my interview scheduled for Jan 9!

How was everyone else's interviews? Were you grilled?

I'm pretty nervous since this is my first interview and my top choice school.

Thanks for any advice!:confused:

Congrats Mega. I've interviewed twice at MUSC, both were very easy and enjoyable interviews. Much more so than I expected. Enjoy the day, and ask any question that comes to mind during your student-guided tour, that's what they're there for :).

If you want to review some questions that other MUSC interviewers have been asked before, look here: http://more.studentdoctor.net/welcome.php

Anyone else received interview notifications? I have a friend who applied in the Fall and has not heard anything. Do they email you if they are not going to interview you or just leave you wondering whats up?

The best part of MUSC is their southern hospitality. You can feel that they really want you to be there. It is definitely not a grill fest, but it is their job to ask a morally and personally uncomfortable question, to see how you handle the pressure. Keep it casual but respectful and try to crack a joke or at least start introductions at the interviewee round table (everyone is so nervous). Let them know that MUSC is the only place for you and if you don't get in you will find out why and try again.
Good Luck!:p

So I finally have my interview scheduled for Jan 9!

How was everyone else's interviews? Were you grilled?

I'm pretty nervous since this is my first interview and my top choice school.

Thanks for any advice!:confused:

Congrats Mega, and good luck! It is, for the most part, pretty laid back. UniDemo said it well.

I did have one interviewer that asked some pretty tough questions, as expected, but the other just talked about research the whole time.

Just relax, be yourself, and try to enjoy it!

For real, I checked a couple weeks ago and pretty much nothing has changed.

I have heard from a few different people that I know that things are slow right now. Besides the 2 or 3 people that posted on here I haven't heard of anyone being accepted since the EDP round. Surely people have heard something lately, right?

Any December acceptances?

Any December acceptances?

I don't think they met in December, because of Christmas, etc. I think the next meeting is the end of January though.

I don't think they met in December, because of Christmas, etc. I think the next meeting is the end of January though.

Apparently they did meet. A good friend of mine interviewed on Dec 19 and received an acceptance email just before Christmas. Im happy for her:)

Quick question from sophmore in undergrad.

Im a resident of SC (live outside charleston) but am going to school at Cornell and recently have decided I want to be a doctor. I would love to go to MUSC (a bunch of MUSC doc's go to my church at home and it sounds like a great place to go to school).

I was curious what the in-state cut off GPA for getting interviewed would be?

I will probaly graduate with around and 3.3 or 3.4 (engineering is tough!) and im pretty confident I would do well as long as long as I got a chance to interview.

I bought an MCAT off AMCAS site and took it other day and made 11 PS 14V 8 BS (i havent taken bio classes yet so that will go up).

I would love the chance to go to med school at MUSC but im afraid my GPA might not meet the formula to get an interview?

Quick question from sophmore in undergrad.

Im a resident of SC (live outside charleston) but am going to school at Cornell and recently have decided I want to be a doctor. I would love to go to MUSC (a bunch of MUSC doc's go to my church at home and it sounds like a great place to go to school).

I was curious what the in-state cut off GPA for getting interviewed would be?

I will probaly graduate with around and 3.3 or 3.4 (engineering is tough!) and im pretty confident I would do well as long as long as I got a chance to interview.

I bought an MCAT off AMCAS site and took it other day and made 11 PS 14V 8 BS (i havent taken bio classes yet so that will go up).

I would love the chance to go to med school at MUSC but im afraid my GPA might not meet the formula to get an interview?

I have a 3.4 and a 31 on the MCAT and I got an interview. I am currently on hold, so take that for what it's worth. If you have really impressive EC's, great LORs and interview extremely well, it is possible though. I have known others with similar stats who got in. Also, you are only a sophmore, so your GPA is not set in stone. Don't settle for a 3.4! Science majors are hard, too, but people manage to get excellent GPAs despite that. Keep working hard and good luck!

I have a 3.4 and a 31 on the MCAT and I got an interview. I am currently on hold, so take that for what it's worth. If you have really impressive EC's, great LORs and interview extremely well, it is possible though. I have known others with similar stats who got in. Also, you are only a sophmore, so your GPA is not set in stone. Don't settle for a 3.4! Science majors are hard, too, but people manage to get excellent GPAs despite that. Keep working hard and good luck!

thanks, and yeah I am doing everything i can to get the GPA up but seeing as i've worked hard my whole college career and have a 3.4 now I realistically don't think it will go up too much.

Im planning to volunteer at MUSC this summer and will probaly shadow some doctors I know there as well.

Yeah, I think you will be fine. Your MCAT is outstanding and is sure to go up some, and your GPA is slightly below average.

I would suggest developing a relationship with a professor or two at Cornell that seems cool and that you are genuinely interested in their class. This way LOR's will be no sweat.

My GPA was decently far above MUSC's average, and my MCAT was just below the average and I got accepted. This seems to be the opposite for you as you will likely have a pretty high MCAT compared to the average and a slightly below average GPA.

What I think helped me was EC's and great LOR's.

You still have a year and a half before you apply, you can get your GPA up atleast a little (if not I still think you will be fine), start some volunteering at a local hospital, get to know some professors (research is a great avenue for this, and it also looks great on your application), and assuming you can interview decently I think you will be a great candidate.

Good luck!

Anyone else received interview notifications? I have a friend who applied in the Fall and has not heard anything. Do they email you if they are not going to interview you or just leave you wondering whats up?

MUSC does not send any notification until interviews are completed. If you are not selected for an interview they will send you some info telling you what you need to do to improve your application, but this is after the class has been selected. So, yes they leave you wondering until its too late to do anything.:thumbdown:

MUSC does not send any notification until interviews are completed. If you are not selected for an interview they will send you some info telling you what you need to do to improve your application, but this is after the class has been selected. So, yes they leave you wondering until its too late to do anything.:thumbdown:

That really frustrates me as an applicant. I would prefer to know as soon as possible that I will not be interviewed and then I can focus my time and efforts with other institutions.

So, anyone have any ideas? Should I call to determine my status or send a letter of interest or....???:(

That really frustrates me as an applicant. I would prefer to know as soon as possible that I will not be interviewed and then I can focus my time and efforts with other institutions.

So, anyone have any ideas? Should I call to determine my status or send a letter of interest or....???:(

The advice that I keep hearing over and over from many sources at MUSC is that if you have questions about your status, etc, you should call Wanda Taylor. She will always be honest, and will take the time to talk to you about your options. She can recommend the best course of action to improve your interview chances, too.

Good luck!

anyone else get an invite recently? i just did.

Status
Not open for further replies.