2006 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great job, Q! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only thing that will surprise us is Q not being accepted to a school that has her application...

QofQuimica said:
I was accepted today at U Chicago-Pritzker. :D

Way to go, Superapplicant! :D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Don't you mean Superwoman???????? :p :D ;)

:laugh: :smuggrin:

Of course! That's another of her hero names...

amk25a said:
So I was in Miami last week for a Caribbean cruise (took an early vacation) and noticed it is pretty expensive there. They wanted $15 per person to sit on a beach chair in South Beach! So then I couldn't figure out why someone didn't just go and buy a few beach chairs, set them up out there and try to undercut this price.

I realized it's not my type of city though. The search goes on for the perfect city to settle down in.
Heh heh, South Beach is a world unto itself anyway, but the entire economy relies on surcharging tourists. Did you ever stay in a FL hotel or rent a car here and take a look at the bed taxes/rental surcharges??? :eek:

amk25a said:
So I was in Miami last week for a Caribbean cruise (took an early vacation) and noticed it is pretty expensive there. They wanted $15 per person to sit on a beach chair in South Beach! So then I couldn't figure out why someone didn't just go and buy a few beach chairs, set them up out there and try to undercut this price.

I realized it's not my type of city though. The search goes on for the perfect city to settle down in.

Because I have turned into a defender/advocate of all things Miami on here for some reason... I should say that living in miami is FAR different than visiting. I live on South Beach (and really wouldnt pay $15 to sit on it), and people think I must live the craziest life. I spent all weekend watching tv.
All in all, it's actually pretty cheap. My day to day life in boston costs about 3x what I pay in miami.
But, living in Miami, and South Florida in general, if you know it's not for you, then it is definitely not for you.

amk25a said:
Too bad they don't charge the bed taxes to roaches!

We had an awful encounter with a huge roach the morning we were checking out. Not only had the front desk not given us our wake-up call (that I'd asked for barely 4 hours previously), we were greeted by a huge roach running around from under the bed. We got out of that room as soon as we could and mentioned it to the front desk as we were checking out. The guy starts laughing and says "Oh it's rare to see those in winter. It's probably a Palmetto roach...those get big." Rare to see in winter?!? Did he think we were getting a treat 'cause we saw a roach in winter? What winter?!? It was like 85 degrees outside! No apology at all. Then he calls us a cab and recommends we stay inside until this particular cab arrives because they deal with a particular company that is reputable and only charges a flat rate. Did he think we were blind and couldn't see those huge flat rate stickers posted on the left passenger window of every cab in the city?!? So anyhow, most of our Miami/South Beach experience was negative. At any rate, we decided we were glad we lived somewhere we didn't have endemic roaches.
:laugh: Well, but he *did* have a point; it really *is* much less common to see palmetto bugs in the winter. Just to warn you: don't ever try to spray a palmetto bug with roach spray. It WILL die eventually, but the first thing it's going to do after you spray it is fly straight at your face. Yup, we've got it all here in South FL, including the giant flying roaches. What more could you possibly want?

amk25a said:
As if it's not enough that they LOOK gross and crawl faster than the Energizer bunny on speed, they FLY at you?!? Boy am I glad THAT didn't happen when I was stomping at it 'cause I would not have stopped screaming until the whole hotel was awake! You've just *completely* turned me off the entire state of Florida now. Not only do you have to deal with hurricanes and a Bush relative, you've got attacking roaches...although perhaps those last two may not be in completely separate categories :)

Q and I can see right through your rampant jealousy.

unfrozencaveman said:
Q and I can see right through your rampant jealousy.
:D amk25a can say what s/he wants; 8 zillion snowbirds can't all be wrong. :smuggrin:

Yes, palmetto bugs can fly, unlike those wimpy little German things you guys call roaches up north. I tried spraying one once in my life, and that was enough to convince me not to ever do it again. I don't advocate squishing them, either. The crunching sound that their exoskeleton makes is quite unappealing. :barf: And guess what? Turns out they have blood, too. It isn't pretty.

As for Jeb, all I can say is that if we must be governed by one of the Bush brothers, at least we got the one with a brain or two in his head. :p

I've never even seen a palmetto bug in action I dont think.

My parents' place gets a lot of lizards in the house, of all varieties. And really nothing beat the time a frog jumped out of the toaster onto my mom's face.

Members don't see this ad :)
unfrozencaveman said:
My parents' place gets a lot of lizards in the house, of all varieties. And really nothing beat the time a frog jumped out of the toaster onto my mom's face.
OMG, that happened to this guy I was dating once! We were at my parents' house sitting outside on the porch with my dad. It was one of those little tree frogs with the sticky toes, and out of the clear blue, it jumped on his face and stuck there. He had to act cool about it because he was meeting my dad for the first time, but I think it freaked him out a bit. :laugh:

amk25a said:
How can you all live like that? Roaches...lizards...frogs! I'd have to wear a Level A suit to live in such conditions. The only thing coming into my house these days is a nice draft of sub-zero temperatures :)
Come on, you have to admit that living here is always interesting. We haven't even talked about the alligators yet. My neighbor's dog got eaten by an alligator when I was in HS. Or the fire ants. They have those all over the South, though, not just in FL. Wonder why they're called fire ants? Step in a nest and you'll figure it out quickly. Every so often there is a news report about some poor bed-ridden nursing home resident getting stung to death in his or her bed. Or the lightning. Another neighbor's husband got struck and killed by lightning playing golf. I've read that you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning in FL than you do of winning the FL lotto. Not that I ever play the FL lotto anyway. And then there is the family friend who had a house down in the Keys, and one day had several bales of marijuana wash up in his back yard. I swear I couldn't make stuff up that's any crazier than the reality. :eek:

It's all what you're used to, isn't it? To steer this thread somewhat back on subject, here I am trying to decide between places like U Miami or Baylor versus U Chicago, U Mich, and Wash U. I'm thinking, "Hmm, Baylor or Miami sure has nicer weather than Chicago does...." :laugh:

Seriously, thank you all. I was starting to second guess myself, thinking that I should have applied to schools in more temperate climes.

Now I remember one of the reasons why I didn't.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can face many things in this world with impunity. Bloated, decomposing rabbit carcass to get taken out of the pool? No problem, I'm your girl. 1 hr. dressing change on a bilateral groin to calf fasciotomy? Hey, that's cool! Grey/green oozing, smelling, cauliflower looking growth in your private parts? Yuck, but I can handle it. The list goes on and on.

Bugs and lizards, however, are not on that list. Ewwwwwwwwwww. I have never, to my knowledge, seen a roach. I hope I can remain a roach virgin until the day I die, and then hopefully even thereafter.

I'm about to run outside and kiss the frozen, snowy ground.

amk25a said:
How can you all live like that? Roaches...lizards...frogs! I'd have to wear a Level A suit to live in such conditions. The only thing coming into my house these days is a nice draft of sub-zero temperatures :)

I will never forget waking up in the middle of the night in my small Mobile, AL apartment to tinkle. After I was done I went to wash my hands and looked up in the mirror to see the BIGGEST Palmetto bug crawling across my shower.

All I had was a spray bottle of CLR and paralyzed him. Yuck!

And now for a non-roach related post,

I was accepted by UNC today :love: I will be a doctor! Now back to bug talk :)

sweetdoc

Congrats on UNC!!!

But I must go back to the bug top very briefly.

1. Watch the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach local news any night of the week, and someone's dog has been eaten by an alligator.
2. People release their crazy exotic pets into the everglades all the time, when they get out of control. And the worst is, everything can survive in there. So, this summer, a freaking python ate an alligator (that was also on the local news, and although they did not report if there was a dog inside the alligator, like a south florida turducken as well, you can bet there was).
3. So many people release their weird pets into the everglades that they dont even just run off and die. They find each other somehow, and mate. My friend in hollywood has a family of monkeys in her apartment complex, and I used to have a gigantic macau parrot who would stop by my balcony.

How could you not love that?

unfrozencaveman said:
So, this summer, a freaking python ate an alligator (that was also on the local news, and although they did not report if there was a dog inside the alligator, like a south florida turducken as well, you can bet there was).

This particular portion of your post should come with a spit-take warning. I may have permanently damaged my keyboard and monitor and am contemplating legal action.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

amk25a said:
Ahh I had forgotten about that alligator-eating python. I remember seeing the photo of that on CNN and just being floored at the craziness of it:

This is what happens when you binge eat

Q, if I were you, I'd be choosing between Chicago and St Louis. All those southern cities are definitely out for me. Greater Ann Arbor doesn't strike me as the type of place you'd see the diversity and pathology you'd see in a place like Chicago. With your stories (like dogs eaten by gators!), you've certainly demonstrated that where you live affects what you see.

an exploding python? no, can't say I've ever heard of one of those in St. Louis. have to be careful of the occasional exploding meth lab, though.

congrats to all of you on your successes in the application process- I hope to be in your shoes soon!

amk25a said:
Q, if I were you, I'd be choosing between Chicago and St Louis. All those southern cities are definitely out for me. Greater Ann Arbor doesn't strike me as the type of place you'd see the diversity and pathology you'd see in a place like Chicago. With your stories (like dogs eaten by gators!), you've certainly demonstrated that where you live affects what you see.
My guess would be that if you´re interested in diverse and unique cases, Michigan would be the place to be. They draw cases from all over the midwest - including Chicago, when others can´t figure out what´s going on.

Plus, there will be a decided lack of sailcrazy in Chicago & St. Louis! :D :laugh: :laugh:

SailCrazy said:
Plus, there will be a decided lack of sailcrazy in Chicago & St. Louis! :D :laugh: :laugh:
That would definitely be a big plus for U Mich. :love: ;) Though I have to confess that I have a hard time believing people in Chicago head up to Ann Arbor for ANY medical reason when there are like four medical schools located in Chicago alone....

QofQuimica said:
That would definitely be a big plus for U Mich. :love: ;) Though I have to confess that I have a hard time believing people in Chicago head up to Ann Arbor for ANY medical reason when there are like four medical schools located in Chicago alone....
You're probably right, though when my Organic Chem Professor and his wife (an infectious disease MD) were moving to Michigan from St. Louis their daughter had some significant, ongoing medical issues that would require ongoing treatment. When they mentioned to the folks at WashU how close they would be to Chicago (relatively close, we're in SouthWest lower Michigan) they basically said "forget Chicago, how far are you from Ann Arbor?!?"

Christmas present from Norwestern: and interview invitation. :)

I've been complete since the first week of August, so this is definitely unexpected at this late date. I really wanted to see what the group interview was like, and to check out a very PBL curriculum, so I'm pretty excited. My sister lives in Chicago, so she's happy as well. (Even if I don't end up there, it brings me to town for another visit.) :thumbup:

SailCrazy said:

I've been complete since the first week of August, so this is definitely unexpected at this late date. I really wanted to see what the group interview was like, and to check out a very PBL curriculum, so I'm pretty excited. My sister lives in Chicago, so she's happy as well. (Even if I don't end up there, it brings me to town for another visit.) :thumbup:
:thumbup: :)

SailCrazy said:

All right, Sail! :clap:

SailCrazy said:

That is incredible. And to think I had cut down on checking my status page of late... i better get back on it.

Congrats SailCrazy!

sweetdoc

gujuDoc said:
HEy SWEETDOC,

I Just saw your news about UNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Sail, :thumbup: :thumbup: to you for your NWU interview!!!! :D
Thanks for all the love everybody. UNC has definitely made these holidays happy ones for me. I hope everybody is having a great time and :luck: with the rest of our applications/interviews.

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Thanks for all the love everybody. UNC has definitely made these holidays happy ones for me. I hope everybody is having a great time and :luck: with the rest of our applications/interviews.

sweetdoc
I hadn't heard your news. Congrat!!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

SailCrazy said:

I got the same invite! Maybe we'll be there the same day...

titoincali said:
I got the same invite! Maybe we'll be there the same day...
I scheduled for the 27th let me know if that's going to be your day too! :thumbup:

I got everything ironed out at USUHS, so now I have two definite acceptances. I'm thrilled! :D

MoosePilot said:
I got everything ironed out at USUHS, so now I have two definite acceptances. I'm thrilled! :D
COngrats!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:

O.K. this is my situation, i am a graduate od Chiropractic college and while attending i had some very concerning family problems that helped me out in a way of lowering my GPA of a very bad 2.65. i am considering going to medical school and i know they would not like my very impressive (kidding) GPA. i am also thinking about going back to raise my grades before attending Chiro. school and picking up there with another degree. i would hide my graduate degree from the medical schools i would be applying to. for those of you who don't know you don't have to have a B.S. but just requirements to get into Chiropractic school. approx. 95 hours. i'm thinking about getting my other degree in the following that i know i would get A's in the rest of my classes that would stand between me and the following.
Anatomy
Physiology
Kinesiology
microbiology
~ chemistry
which should i go after for a medical applicant?

docnms said:
O.K. this is my situation, i am a graduate od Chiropractic college and while attending i had some very concerning family problems that helped me out in a way of lowering my GPA of a very bad 2.65. i am considering going to medical school and i know they would not like my very impressive (kidding) GPA. i am also thinking about going back to raise my grades before attending Chiro. school and picking up there with another degree. i would hide my graduate degree from the medical schools i would be applying to. for those of you who don't know you don't have to have a B.S. but just requirements to get into Chiropractic school. approx. 95 hours. i'm thinking about getting my other degree in the following that i know i would get A's in the rest of my classes that would stand between me and the following.
Anatomy
Physiology
Kinesiology
microbiology
~ chemistry
which should i go after for a medical applicant?
(Moderator: can this mini-topic be moved to a new thread?)

There is no preferred major for pre-meds. If you don't have a bachelor's degree, then any major will do, as long as you take the required intro courses. If you already have a degree, then a full four years of undergrad work would most likely be overkill.

Also, I would not attempt to hide your graduate work from AMCAS or any other medical schools admissions body. It's just not a smart idea.

QofQuimica said:
Congrats, Moose. :D But I still hope you get into Baylor. :luck:

Thanks! Me too, but no matter what, I'm in a good spot now. :D

SailCrazy said:
Congrats!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:

Thanks!

SailCrazy said:
I scheduled for the 27th let me know if that's going to be your day too! :thumbup:

My interview is on the 20th. That's too bad! I'll let you know how it goes.

MoosePilot said:
Thanks! Me too, but no matter what, I'm in a good spot now. :D

Thanks!

Congrats Moose!

sweetdoc

Sail- it looks like my dreams of moving back to West Philly and stealing things from Wawa in the dead of night have been dashed as well. I'm going to start donating out of spite to Princeton.

Just as I had given up hope, Yale comes through in the clutch! Apparently my interview invite was sent out a few weeks ago, but due to a computer glitch, I never recieved anything. At least they caught it :D

happy happy,
sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Just as I had given up hope, Yale comes through in the clutch! Apparently my interview invite was sent out a few weeks ago, but due to a computer glitch, I never recieved anything. At least they caught it :D

happy happy,
sweetdoc

WOW! Congrats!