2006 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok, so I know I'm jumping the gun a little :oops: , but I'm done with the rough draft of my AMCAS and I am sick of waiting already. :p Anyone else planning to submit AMCAS this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm sick of looking at AMCAS and am ready to give them my money. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

QofQuimica said:
Ok, ok, so I know I'm jumping the gun a little :oops: , but I'm done with the rough draft of my AMCAS and I am sick of waiting already. :p Anyone else planning to submit AMCAS this week?

I'm right there with ya. We should start an AMCAS submitted thread, so that people can post the moment we submitted... see how many we get :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my honey review all my stuff today. It's all ready and waiting to go! I have to request transcripts, tho - have the forms filled out and in the envelopes. Going to drop one in the mailbox tonight, the other I'll hand-deliver on Tuesday. Shouldn't take too long to process this early, should it?

QofQuimica said:
Okey-dokey, I'm officially submitted. :eek: Anyone else? Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. :luck: :thumbup:

Whoo-hoo! Snaps to you! :thumbup:

I'm test-driving my PS past a few folks and then I'm good. I'll prolly submit after the weekend. Not like it matters *that* much because I still have a transcript hitch to sort out, but I'll feel better having it over.

Trying my hardest this year.

I'm submitted to TMSDAS, AACOMAS, and AMCAS. I've submitted secondaries to three of the TX schools that don't require invitations first.

I also have a request in to AF to allow me to go to med school. This is what blocked me last year, although something later in the process might have stopped me, but I thought I had a good shot. I also have a plan in case this is disapproved.

MoosePilot said:
Trying my hardest this year.

I'm submitted to TMSDAS, AACOMAS, and AMCAS. I've submitted secondaries to three of the TX schools that don't require invitations first.

I also have a request in to AF to allow me to go to med school. This is what blocked me last year, although something later in the process might have stopped me, but I thought I had a good shot. I also have a plan in case this is disapproved.
I'm rooting for you most of all.......:love:

Still haven't submitted...still waiting for my MCAT scores. I really hope I don't have to retake this August :scared: !

RAD11 said:
Still haven't submitted...still waiting for my MCAT scores. I really hope I don't have to retake this August :scared: !

:luck: to you; you'll find out next week already.

Any non-trads reviewed yet? I am still in line. I think it will take them a while to review me. :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
:luck: to you; you'll find out next week already.

Any non-trads reviewed yet? I am still in line. I think it will take them a while to review me. :smuggrin:

I'm reviewed. Waiting to hear from schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
My AMCAS is done. Now I wait on my MCAT socres before sublitting to know if I can apply to the 5 schools on my list or if I need to apply to 50! :eek:

QofQuimica said:
I think it will be a few weeks until you hear from many of them. I have been told not to expect to hear much until after July 4th. The calm before the storm.... :smuggrin:

So, you're saying I don't have to check my mailbox 5 times a day?

jmugele said:
So, you're saying I don't have to check my mailbox 5 times a day?

lol, oh no, if you're anything like me, you absolutely must and should check your mailbox multiple times per day, and then you should come on to SDN and post worried messages about how you're freaking out because you haven't heard anything yet. :laugh: Speaking of storms, looks like we might get a repeat of last year here in FL....we already have our first tropical storm of the year and it's heading our way....

Hope the scores turn out well, 1Path. :luck: And I REALLY hope that you don't need to apply to fifty schools. :eek:

submitted amcs, now I'm waiting for it to process.

:luck: to all fellow nontrads

QofQuimica said:
lol, oh no, if you're anything like me, you absolutely must and should check your mailbox multiple times per day, and then you should come on to SDN and post worried messages about how you're freaking out because you haven't heard anything yet. :laugh: Speaking of storms, looks like we might get a repeat of last year here in FL....we already have our first tropical storm of the year and it's heading our way....

Yeah, sometimes I run after the mailman and dig through his truck too.

Hope you weather the storm okay, Q.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, which schools are you applying to? You can PM me if you'd rather.

RAD11 said:

I'm waiting for the scores, too, and am now thinking of just applying MD rather than MD/PhD.

I'm in the same place. Waiting for MCAT scores before submiting application. Crying over the amount of money AMCAS will be taking from me! Already nervous beyond belief. Although I think a big part of that is waiting for the MCAT score. I'm also kicking myself for planning a 2-week trip to Europe the last two weeks of July. I think I'd rather be here checking e-mail 20 times a day and chewing my nails than in Europe desperately searching for internet cafes and chewing my nails. And that, my friends, is pretty pathetic! ;)

QofQuimica said:
I'm finally processed; I got the email today. :) Anyone getting secondaries yet?

Still ... waiting ... for ... secondaries. Tat is if I get any. :scared:

I submitted last week, but one of my transcripts wasn't received by anyone until the 13th! :mad: :mad: At least now I'm in line to be reviewed by both aacomas and amcas. Tomorrow I leave for my famly's first vacation in 8 years... and I'm going to try VERY VERY hard not to think about this process for two whole weeks.

Good luck to all non-trads applying in 2006! you can do it! :love:

murphomatic said:
submitted amcs, now I'm waiting for it to process.

:luck: to all fellow nontrads

Hey Murphomatic:

Your stats are identical to mine, and I too went to CU! My undergrad grades were very subpar cause I partied and snowboarded my way through the 90s. I sucked it up, got a PhD in oncology, and matriculated in medschool last fall at age 30. I'm now officially a M2. I think with your MCAT and postbac grades you'll definitely get in.

Good luck,
OC

Still waiting for secondaries, but I did get an email from UT Southwestern that they received my secondary app (no invite required secondary).

This is my first application cycle. I submitted AMCAS on 6/1, and it was processed/sent on 6/8. My MCAT scores just arrived, so I assume my schools now have access to them.

It's way early to be thinking about secondaries, isn't it? I mean, at this point, med schools would have had access to my full application package for less than 48 hours.

blee said:
This is my first application cycle. I submitted AMCAS on 6/1, and it was processed/sent on 6/8. My MCAT scores just arrived, so I assume my schools now have access to them.

It's way early to be thinking about secondaries, isn't it? I mean, at this point, med schools would have had access to my full application package for less than 48 hours.

Some schools don't screen applicants, blee. So you'll get secondaries as soon as they find out that you've applied there period.

If anyone wants to start working on secondaries, there's a thread from pre-allo that lists them: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=201532

I just hit the button! Am from NC. Applying to UNC, ECU, Wake, SLU, Drexel, NYMC, UChicago, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Penn, Hopkins, Stanford.
34 MCAT, 4.0 post-bacc (30+ hrs), should have 3.25 cum gpa and ~3.55 sci gpa. We'll see what happens. :luck: :luck: :luck: everyone!

Good luck to you. :)

As an aside, I've learned that some schools post their secondaries online. I haven't touched any of them yet, but I suppose it could save some time later on to at least look them over.

Pushed the button this morning! MCW, Early Decision.

Submitted!! One more hurdle down.

16 schools :scared: !

Case Western Reserve University
Cornell University
Loyola University Chicago
Mayo Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Stanford University
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
University of Pennsylvania
University of Rochester
University of Wisconsin
Yale University

Maybe too many reaches, but what the hell. You never know unless you try. :D

TheDarkSide said:
Maybe too many reaches, but what the hell. You never know unless you try. :D

Mama always said "Go big or go home". Good luck! :luck:

I just pressed submit. :scared:

I'm amazed how scary it was just to click that button.

Sophie said:
I just pressed submit. :scared:

I'm amazed how scary it was just to click that button.

Ditto! I read and reread my essay and the work/activities section so many times I thought I would go crazy if I had to read it again. So I went ahead and pressed submit! Now I'm too nervous to look at the application in case I find some glaring error.

Congrats to all who have submitted. It's nice to have one more step down.

titoincali said:
Now I'm too nervous to look at the application in case I find some glaring error.

Same here. Just the thought of finding some huge mistake and knowing I can't do anything about it at this point is enough to keep me far away from my application.

Sophie said:
Same here. Just the thought of finding some huge mistake and knowing I can't do anything about it at this point is enough to keep me far away from my application.

hee hee, I did remember something that I should have added after submitting, but it just affects one school. Hopefully I can explain on the secondary if it comes up. :oops:

well....erm.....I have a little bit of brushing up to do on my foreign languages. :scared: Whoops!

blee said:
well....erm.....I have a little bit of brushing up to do on my foreign languages. :scared: Whoops!

:laugh: I checked Spanish before I read on here that you're only supposed to put languages that you're fluent in. Thank god I remembered to uncheck that before I sent the application.

Sophie said:

So, I finally looked over my application once more late last night and found three errors. Two places that should have had commas and one where a space is missing between two words! Oh well. I think sometimes you read something so much that you lose the ability to "see" what's on the page. It's ok though. I've decided that it's not worth getting too upset about! :laugh:

Sophie said:
:laugh: I checked Spanish before I read on here that you're only supposed to put languages that you're fluent in. Thank god I remembered to uncheck that before I sent the application.

I did the same with ASL! It's been a couple of years since I've used it and while I would have considered myself fluent I didn't want to run the risk of getting tested and blanking. :rolleyes:

Well, at least I have the Spanish...

I also put Spanish as one of my languages. I'm fine with normal communication, but I can only hope that I am not asked to describe my chemistry research in Spanish. Anyone know how to say "peptidomimetic" in Spanish??? :smuggrin: Actually, I have seen that even many people who took science classes in Spanish end up using the English terms for the scientific words. Which is what I'd have to do, too. :p

AMCAS just certified my application. It only took one week. I guess they're not overloaded yet.

I just submitted AMCAS today :scared: :eek:. Now, ALL i have to do is study for MCAT (I'm taking it for the first time in August). Well, that's not all I have to do, but I will definitely focus on that.

Do you guys think I'll get any secondaries without the MCAT scores? Or I have to wait until October?

Good luck to everybody! :luck:

I got permission from the Air Force to apply! Hooray!! :D

I would say that feels like 50% of the job done to me (although there's much more than 50% left, with all these secondaries. Uggh).

MoosePilot said:
I got permission from the Air Force to apply! Hooray!! :D

I would say that feels like 50% of the job done to me (although there's much more than 50% left, with all these secondaries. Uggh).

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Foreigner said:
I just submitted AMCAS today :scared: :eek:. Now, ALL i have to do is study for MCAT (I'm taking it for the first time in August). Well, that's not all I have to do, but I will definitely focus on that.

Do you guys think I'll get any secondaries without the MCAT scores? Or I have to wait until October?

Good luck to everybody! :luck:

I would think so for the schools that don't screen based on MCAT score. But you can start working on them ahead of time anyway; there's a sticky in the pre-allo forum with secondary prompts for various medical schools.