2005 Match - Post info, interview dates, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think the ophthalmology forum is helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 60 98.4%
  • No, please see below for suggestions.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Hey, just thought I'd pass on some info. I called some of the programs I haven't heard from...

Columbia -- invites will go out in the next few days
Wills -- invites will go out by Weds. by email
Georgetown -- all invites have gone out :(
UCSF -- some, not all, invites have gone out, will in the next few days
NYU -- invites will go out soon (she said none had been sent, but I'm sure I saw someone who got one :confused: )
NYEEI -- invites will go out in the next few days
Stanford -- almost all have gone out :(
UCLA -- invites will go out late today or early tomorrow
UCSD -- first round of invites has gone out with a few more from the waitlist over the next few days

I called some others but either got a machine, or forgot what they said.

Take care. I'll see anyone going to CCF this Thursday.

Members don't see this ad.

Morton said:
Hey, just thought I'd pass on some info. I called some of the programs I haven't heard from...

Columbia -- invites will go out in the next few days
Wills -- invites will go out by Weds. by email
Georgetown -- all invites have gone out :(
UCSF -- some, not all, invites have gone out, will in the next few days
NYU -- invites will go out soon (she said none had been sent, but I'm sure I saw someone who got one :confused: )
NYEEI -- invites will go out in the next few days
Stanford -- almost all have gone out :(

I called some others (eg. UCLA, UCSD, Vanderbilt...) but either got a machine, or forgot what they said.

Take care. I'll see anyone going to CCF this Thursday.

Thanks for the update! See you at CCF...

hey morton, what exactly did u ask when u called? i think i might do this for a few programs, i just dont know what exactly to ask without sounding pushy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it realistic to only interview at 10 programs if you are getting good feedback during the interview and good invitations (like UCSF, Iowa) ? I don't want to do something stupid and not match, but at the sametime, each place I am not that interested in I am guessing someone else is and deserves a chance. I know I am interested in a program that I am waitlisted at and haven't heard from...

ZR1 said:
hey morton, what exactly did u ask when u called? i think i might do this for a few programs, i just dont know what exactly to ask without sounding pushy.

Hey ZR1, I just said something like "Sorry to bother you, I'm one of your residency applicants, and I was just wondering if I could check on my status..."

Everyone was very nice, and I don't think anyone thought I was being pushy.

You know, lots of the ophtho residents i've talked to seem to say that if you haven't heard from schools by now, you probably won't period. Yet, it seems to me that a lot of us have been going through this lull phase of no acceptances and no rejections. Man, I'm so paranoid about my email not working i've had people send me emails just to make sure it still works. Anyhow, just wanted to show solidarity in this waiting game. Its funny, but I haven't heard from any of the chicago schools nor the New York schools either way.

aankhein said:
You know, lots of the ophtho residents i've talked to seem to say that if you haven't heard from schools by now, you probably won't period. Yet, it seems to me that a lot of us have been going through this lull phase of no acceptances and no rejections. Man, I'm so paranoid about my email not working i've had people send me emails just to make sure it still works. Anyhow, just wanted to show solidarity in this waiting game. Its funny, but I haven't heard from any of the chicago schools nor the New York schools either way.

From what I have heard, once the programs send out the initial invitations, they will only fill slots if the any of the initial 60-or-so call to cancel. This supposedly means that numbers 61-120 are technically not rejected, in case the program needs to fill interview spots. Personally, I'd like to think that my "limbo" status means that I still have a chance of being invited...

Has anybody heard from University of Michigan, Kellogg Eye Center yet?

Yeah, Michigan sent out invites several weeks ago and only has one interview date left, in early December.

Doc

I guess then that's a no.
How about Vanderbilt? What's the status there?

Microdish said:
Is it realistic to only interview at 10 programs if you are getting good feedback during the interview and good invitations (like UCSF, Iowa) ? I don't want to do something stupid and not match, but at the sametime, each place I am not that interested in I am guessing someone else is and deserves a chance. I know I am interested in a program that I am waitlisted at and haven't heard from...

Generally, 10 interviews is considered a safe number for matching somewhere. However, you always hear scary stories about people who interview at 10 programs, but still don't match. So if the ten programs are all tier 1, it might be safer to also go on several interviews at lower tier schools. While I was interviewing at Shreveport, I met one re-applicant who had gone on 13 interviews the previous year. However, he got such positive feedback from most programs, that he decided to only ranked 10. After the match, he found out that he'd been offered a position at one of the schools he didn't rank.

Keep in mind that most programs give most applicants positive vibes during interviews. It's exactly analgous to how we all pretend that we're going to rank every program we go to highly so as to increase our chances of those programs ranking us well.

Sledge2005 said:
Generally, 10 interviews is considered a safe number for matching somewhere. However, you always hear scary stories about people who interview at 10 programs, but still don't match. So if the ten programs are all tier 1, it might be safer to also go on several interviews at lower tier schools. While I was interviewing at Shreveport, I met one re-applicant who had gone on 13 interviews the previous year. However, he got such positive feedback from most programs, that he decided to only ranked 10. After the match, he found out that he'd been offered a position at one of the schools he didn't rank.

Keep in mind that most programs give most applicants positive vibes during interviews. It's exactly analgous to how we all pretend that we're going to rank every program we go to highly so as to increase our chances of those programs ranking us well.

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have 11 scheduled interviews, and a few I am working on but having difficulty. So far three to four tier 1, three tier 2, and four to five tier 3 (depending on whose ranking you are using--with about 30 schools in the group). I agree, it is the same as every interviewee telling every interviewer how much they love the program.

I would have to say that the number of schools you have to apply to are a self perpetuating problem...they cause a lot of students to apply to places they aren't too interested in, taking up interview slots there and maybe not getting interviews at places/locations they are more interested in.

St. Lukes Roosevelt gave out calls today ...there interview dates that they are still offering are Dec 13th and 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called Vanderbilt: Interviews should be going out by email around the 15th. Interviews December 2 and 3

Microdish said:
Thanks for the feedback. I currently have 11 scheduled interviews, and a few I am working on but having difficulty. So far three to four tier 1, three tier 2, and four to five tier 3 (depending on whose ranking you are using--with about 30 schools in the group). I agree, it is the same as every interviewee telling every interviewer how much they love the program.

I would have to say that the number of schools you have to apply to are a self perpetuating problem...they cause a lot of students to apply to places they aren't too interested in, taking up interview slots there and maybe not getting interviews at places/locations they are more interested in.
Thanks for the input
Where do you find the lists for tier 1 vs tier 2 vs tier 3 programs?

cornell by email as well. dec 2,3,4

Brown by email -- Dec 6th.

UCLA by email -- 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15

Any thoughts on Brown vs. Ohio State?

i heard some REALLLY positive stuff about BROWN...i heard OHIO States program used to be amazing but many of that times faculty left and the program is not as strong as it once was

Since many of the NY programs seem to be interviewing on the same dates, any thoughts on which NY programs are better than others?

Ohio State's program has awesome clinical training. Lots of volume, great Children's Hospital and a VA. They have a new Chair as of October and they are actively recruiting faculty. They also have very nice faculty and are very supportive of residents. Strong didactics. I haven't heard about Brown.

nyeei - snail mail 12/11 and 12/17

Just got a call from Duke... offered 12/10 or 11/19

Any thoughts on Duke vs. MEEI? Tough choice.

Any thoughts about Duke vs Doheny?

cyclops said:
feeling the pain of the waiting game too...

You guys are not alone...
waiting is killing me...

I hope it works out but I am seeing things bleeker and bleeker.

I have the same paranoia as the other guy in regards to my email...
Nevertheless I am still getting from a bunch of other people emails, so
maybe we are not getting mass emails? (this is were I begin haldol and prozac...)

Good luck to all
:scared: :confused: :scared:

Anyone hear from the Univ. of Chicago yet?

Any opinions on Minnesota? Any opinions on Vanderbilt?

dr.D. said:
Thanks for the input
Where do you find the lists for tier 1 vs tier 2 vs tier 3 programs?

Sorry for the late feedback...
This may not be entirely accurate, just a list that was given to me kinda ad lib by a faculty, so Dr. Doan may be better able to help. This faculty guy categorized programs into A, B, C groups, which I will assume is similar to others Tier 1, 2, 3.

Here goes...(these are in no order within groups and from my memory of the conversation, so again, may not be that accurate and I am sure that I am leaving some off)
A:
MEEI, BP, UCLA, Wills, Iowa, Wilmer, UCSF, Duke
B:
Oregon, Emory, Baylor, Michigan
C:
Pretty much the other solid programs rounding out the top 30...

Your A, B,C seems more like just a stratification of "Tier 1". All of those mentioned below would be considered among the best in the country, and only comprise < 1/3 of all programs.

Microdish said:
Sorry for the late feedback...
This may not be entirely accurate, just a list that was given to me kinda ad lib by a faculty, so Dr. Doan may be better able to help. This faculty guy categorized programs into A, B, C groups, which I will assume is similar to others Tier 1, 2, 3.

Here goes...(these are in no order within groups and from my memory of the conversation, so again, may not be that accurate and I am sure that I am leaving some off)
A:
B:
C:

Any thoughts on San Antonio vs Henry Ford?
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!

pianist said:
Your A, B,C seems more like just a stratification of "Tier 1". All of those mentioned below would be considered among the best in the country, and only comprise < 1/3 of all programs.

Yes I agree...I was not meaning to imply that these were the only good programs out there. Let me just add that this faculty was a huge into academics (and somewhat snobby about it), in group A, and was telling me programs I too could have a very productive academic career (which is a must)

He also added that there were many other programs that have great training for private practice, but would be hard to enter academics from/get a fellowship from. These were the only rankings I was ever given

Hey guys, I just heard back from the Brooklyn & Queens division of NYMC. Their interview dates are 12/3 and 12/4 (real flexible!). Anybody heard from St. Vincent's, NYMC, North Shore, or Bronx-Lebanon?

Microdish said:
A:
B:
C:

I think graduates from group A & B match well for fellowship and are able to pursue academic careers. Your success in ophthalmology will greatly depend on your performance during residency and fellowship. If only group A graduates enter academics, then we would experience a severe shortage of academic ophthamologists.

Andrew_Doan said:
Any suggestions to make this forum better?
I think it's good though there are ways to improve it , but I like it the way it is cause with the deficiency existing in Nigeria in terms of eyecare (Knowledge) I will say I always learn alot when I log on . If there's going to be one improvement I would like to see would be a really study section.

ituryu said:
If there's going to be one improvement I would like to see would be a really study section.

I'm working with the residents at the University of Iowa and other programs (U of Wisconsin and possibly Wash U) to post more morning rounds cases on www.eyerounds.org

These cases will also be posted here in the forums for discussion.

Over time, the database will grow into a useful resource, but it'll take time to collect the photographs and cases. Thanks for the input!

Sledge2005 said:
Hey guys, I just heard back from the Brooklyn & Queens division of NYMC. Their interview dates are 12/3 and 12/4 (real flexible!). Anybody heard from St. Vincent's, NYMC, North Shore, or Bronx-Lebanon?

Hey Sledge,

St.Vincent's will let us know "around" Nov.15...

I have not heard from them yet. Are they both done giving out invitations?

SpunkFish said:
I have not heard from them yet. Are they both done giving out invitations?

Hey, UCSD is done and Wills supposedly sent theirs out by post this week.

Morton

Jaded Soul said:
I saw that people did this last year to keep track of programs that have sent out interviews. If other people are willing to make similar lists, it should help everyone.

Vitals: Batch 5. App arrived at CAS on 8/19, distributed on 9/3.

Offers: :cool:
1. UT Southwestern-Dallas (9/14, e-mail)
2. Rochester (9/14, e-mail)
3. UF Gainesville (9/16, post)
4. Texas Tech (9/16, post)
5. Baylor (9/30, e-mail)
6. UTMB Galveston (10/2, post)
7. Medical College of Wisconsin (10/4, e-mail)
8. UT San Antonio (10/6, phone)
9. Michigan (10/9, phone)
10. USC/Doheny (10/14, e-mail)
11. Cincinnati (10/19, post)
12. Oregon (10/20, phone)
13. UC Irvine (10/25, e-mail)
14. USF Tampa (10/25, phone)
15. Bascom Palmer (10/26, e-mail)
16. Colorado (10/27, e-mail)
17. Indiana (11/2, e-mail)
18. Wilmer (11/2, e-mail)
19. Albany (11/5, e-mail)
20. Vanderbilt (11/10, e-mail)
21. U Washington (11/11, e-mail)

Waitlist: :scared:
UC Davis (10/6, e-mail)
CPMC

Rejections: :(
1. Iowa (10/21, post)
2. Wash U (11/5, post)
-. U Washington (11/6, post) -- unrejected
3. Stanford (11/8, post)
4. Utah (11/8, post)
5. UT Houston (11/8, post)

Past notification deadlines: :confused:
UMDNJ (10/30)
Columbia (11/1)
Cornell (11/1)
Pitt (11/1)
Duke (11/5)
NYEEI (11/5)

Waiting to hear from:
18 programs

Last Edited: 11/11/04

wow, good job on those interviews..thats awesome...did u manage to find a way to schedule all of those?

Congratulations to all of you who are receiving interviews! Great job. These next two months are stressful, and I admire the dedication you all demonstrate.

I've added a Poll to this thread. Please participate because I am always looking for ways to improve this forum.

Good luck!

Here's a consolidated list of my civilian interview sched. If anyone is interviewing the same days as I am, send me a PM.

Batch #8

Interviews
1. University of Arkansas: 11/22
2. LSU Shreveport: 11/6
3. Eastern Virginia: 12/17
4. West Virginia Eye Institute: 12/2
5. Georgetown / Wash Hosp Center: 11/19
6. St. Luke's - Roosevelt: 12/15
7. University of MD: 12/1
8. NY MC Brooklyn and Queens: 12/3
9. Temple: 12/10
10. St. Vincent's: 12/11
11. Henry Ford: 1/10
12. Drexel: 12/19

Turned down interviews
1. University of Nebraska
2. Summa
3. Univ of Kansas
4. Univ of Oklahoma

Rejected
1. Rush
2. UT Chattanooga
3. SUNY Brooklyn

still waiting to hear from
bronx-lebanon, u rochester, stroger, north shore, nymc, umdnj, long island jewish, geisenger, mcv, W. Beaumont

was too lazy to fill out secondary or get eye exam for
1. Univ of SC
2. Univ of Kentucky
3. King-Drew

Interview list so far:

1. Duke 11/19
2. Pittsburgh 11/21
3. Albert Einstein, New York 11/26 Info?
4. LSU in New Orleans 12/1
5. Vanderbilt 12/2
6. U of Minnesota 12/3 Info?
7. Emory 12/5
8. Wills Eye 12/6
9. Kresge Eye 12/8
10. San Antonio OR Henry Ford :confused: 12/10 Any Advice?
11. University of Indiana 12/11 Info?

Anybody on same date or with info on these programs please PM me.

I heard from the chairman of our ophtho dept that this year has been the most competitive it has EVER been. He said that in terms of the applicant pool, it was absolutely one of the most competitive he has ever seen. I am curious what the average stats will be for this match.

Anyone hear from them yet?

YAGman said:
Anyone hear from them yet?

yea, i got a phone call over the weekend

Anyone know anything about NYEEI program? Any info would be greatly appreciated...I'm from the west coast and don't know much about the New York programs in general...

to answer about UMDNJ: I am currently doing a month of research w/ the res. director & he just finished reviewing the last of the apps this weekend, so those offered interviews should prob hear soon. I am actually going to be starting at UMDNJ in July, & would strongly advise people to come interview as I found it to be a very strong program in the northeast.
to answer about NYEEI: I interviewed there, & the rep. is correct that this place is intense. sat clinic sets it apart from other programs in the area, & residents are overworked. that aside, positives include: name, nyc, surg volume for nyc. I actually ranked umdnj over nyeei as i felt the education & surg was better, and a committed well-recognized faculty in all subspecialties as well. good luck 2 all.

Anyone have suggestions for Univ of Washington vs. Columbia?