2005 Match - Post info, interview dates, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think the ophthalmology forum is helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 60 98.4%
  • No, please see below for suggestions.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
goldfisch said:
Vitals: CAS Batch #6, Distributed on 9/12. Received by programs about 9/16.

So far I've gotten these interviews:

1. UTSW (email)
2. Rochester (email)
3. Yale (postal)
4. University of Washington (email)
5. CPMC (call)
6. UC Davis (email)
7. Cole/CCF (email)
8. University of Virginia (email)
9. Univ of Illinois at Chicago (email)
10. Univ of Chicago (call)
11. Mayo Clinic (email)
12. Case Western (email)
13. Oregon Health Sciences/Casey (call)
14. Univ of Arizona (email)
15. Univ of Michigan (call)
16. Tufts (letter)
17. New York Medical College (letter)

Waitlist
Baylor ("on hold") via email
UPenn

Rejections:
Northwestern (via email)
Iowa (via mail)

Last edited: 10/21/2004
Hope this helps. Hope to see everyone on the interview trail. Good luck!

I'm just curious if you are going to actually go to all of these interviews. I don't know about you, but I'm running into some serious scheduling acrobatics...I hate missing any, but I think it is inevitable...

Members don't see this ad.

Gnarley said:
I'm just curious if you are going to actually go to all of these interviews. I don't know about you, but I'm running into some serious scheduling acrobatics...I hate missing any, but I think it is inevitable...

Well, I'm trying. However, I've cancelled a few of them already due to conflicts :) I can't complain though given how competitive ophtho is this year!
and every year...

Just heard from Washington University by email. Interview dates are Nov. 13, Nov. 20, and Dec. 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
st louis or seattle?

ZR1 said:
st louis or seattle?

I think it's Wash U in St. Louis because I heard from them to via e-mail yesterday. Interview dates are the same.

Any responses from Indiana, Pittsburgh, or Henry Ford?

Just as an FYI... got an email from Mayo today... so they're still sending out invites. Dates as listed earlier, filled except 12/3.

MEEI last week (which conflicts with 12/3), and UCI today as above.

Boston University - 11/19 and 11/20.

Gotta pick one. Any info on either? I know a bunch of people who interviewed at UTSW were impressed. What is the consensus on UCI? Any info is appreciated.

Hey future optho residents!

Would you mind putting down some stats, such as step 1, quartile class rank, research +/-, AOA +/- , pre-clinical grades, for those of us who are lower classmen?

Thanks!

USFOptho said:
Hey future optho residents!

Would you mind putting down some stats, such as step 1, quartile class rank, research +/-, AOA +/- , pre-clinical grades, for those of us who are lower classmen?

Thanks!

Look in the FAQ. I have a link to the set of stats last year. I will also collect this info after the match if you all want.

First of all you need to be able to spell the name right

kresge eye institute at wayne state sent out an invitation by email yesterday. dates include Nov. 17, 18, Dec 8, 9th.

good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input everyone!

..and yes, I know the name isn't correctly spelled. That is no accident.

Thanks!

sga said:
Did anyone get a confirmation letter from Doheny?

I don't know if you received your letter from them yet, but just FYI...

I did not get a confirmation letter from Doheny, so I finally called (after the requisite wait time). As it turns out, Doheny "never received" my app, despite word from SF Match that they sent it weeks ago. SF Match had to send it again. The Doheny coordinator was v. apologetic, sent my app straight to the dept chair, and my interview invite came 36 hours later. Bottom line: If you haven't heard from them, give them a call and they should be very helpful.

Another 'heads up': NY Medical college sent my invite to my permanent address (a few thousand miles away). If you applied there (and even if you haven't), don't forget to call home and tell your folks hello... good news may follow :D

offer from colorado today. Dec 2, 3, 4

Offer from LSU yesterday. Dec 1, 2, 3

Photon Catchers said:
I don't know if you received your letter from them yet, but just FYI...

I did not get a confirmation letter from Doheny, so I finally called (after the requisite wait time). As it turns out, Doheny "never received" my app, despite word from SF Match that they sent it weeks ago. SF Match had to send it again. The Doheny coordinator was v. apologetic, sent my app straight to the dept chair, and my interview invite came 36 hours later. Bottom line: If you haven't heard from them, give them a call and they should be very helpful.

Another 'heads up': NY Medical college sent my invite to my permanent address (a few thousand miles away). If you applied there (and even if you haven't), don't forget to call home and tell your folks hello... good news may follow :D

thanks for getting back to me! i got my interview offer after i posted that message. but when i called the school, they said that they are not sending out confirmation letters this year.

call from utah today Nov 19, 22; Dec 13, 17 (I think those were the dates)

Anyone hear from Wills, MEEI, or Wilmer? Dean's letters went out today. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll see you all on the interview circuit.

Cer

Ceremony said:
Anyone hear from Wills, MEEI, or Wilmer? Dean's letters went out today. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll see you all on the interview circuit.

Cer

Hey Cer,

I have received no word from Wills or Wilmer. I heard from MEEI by email on 10/20. Their interview dates are: 11/19, 11/22, and 12/3.

Best of luck! :luck:

OK i was just wondering if anyone had any comments on the following programs, just to see what ppl know about them.

INTERVIEWS
1.RUSH - phone call 10/26
2.Eastern Virginia - mail 11/1 (schedule conflict w UT Memphis)
3.West Virginia - email 11/1
4.Kentucky - email 10/27
5.SUNY Brooklyn - mail 10/1
6.SUMMA - mail 10/6
7.Kresge Eye (Wayne State) - phone call 11/1
8.UofSouth Carolina - email 11/3
9.UT Chatanooga - email 11/4
10.Howard University - mail 11/5
11.UT Memphis - phone call 11/8 (schedule conflict w Eastern Virginia)
12.St Lukes Roosevelt - phone call 11/9
13.Henry Ford Detroit - phone call 11/15 (schedule conflict with UTMem)
14.George Washington U - phone call 11/19

WAITLIST
1.Northwestern

REJECTIONS- Ill spare u all (a lot, depressing, but THANK GOD DEFINITELY for what i got)

ZR1 said:
OK i was just wondering if anyone had any comments on the following programs, just to see what ppl know about them.

1.RUSH
2.Eastern Virginia
3.West Virginia
4.Kentucky
5.SUNY Brooklyn
6.SUMMA
7.Kresge Eye (Wayne State)

Have you heard from ALL these programs?

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from the NY programs (NYEE, NYU/Manhattan, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, St. Vincent's, St. Luke's, Einstein, etc.)

Even though the target response date has passed for UMDNJ, I called and they have not yet selected interviewees.

jonathan19103 said:
Wondering if anyone has heard anything from the NY programs (NYEE, NYU/Manhattan, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, St. Vincent's, St. Luke's, Einstein, etc.)

i know some of them had target dates of later november

I know SUNY Brooklyn gave interview invitations pretty early (end of sep, beg of oct)...speaking of, can anyone comment on if they had an interview there, what its like? questions? etc.... trying to get a heads up for this week.

golgi said:
Have you heard from ALL these programs?

hey golgi, yeah thank God i got some interviews...i was getting REALLY worried cuz i hadnt heard anything POSITIVE from programs till just recently. But i guess if we just hang in there, stuff will happen. HOPEFULLY. take care...

SO yeah, any info on any of those anyone?

Hopkins took a while to make their decisions. Anyone hear from Wills, UCLA, or UCSF? On a separate note, I am wondering how programs make decisions for interviews. Is it possible a candidate is considered "too competitive" for a program. I mean, sometimes the rejections seem a bit odd. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cer

first nyc program i have heard from:
mt sinai: dates 11/17, 11/29, 12/1, 12/6

UCSF today (email) 11/18, 12/2, 12/16

UNC - Chapel Hill (email) 12/4, 12/11 (Sat)
BU is also still sending out emails.

Univ. South Carolina today by email (Dec 3, 10)

NYU by phone . dates are dec.3 and 4th
there will be 1 20 min interview in front of panel of 12!

Emory via email -- Dec. 4th and 5th (the 5th is almost full).

ZR1 said:

1.RUSH - phone call 10/26
2.Eastern Virginia - mail 11/1
3.West Virginia - email 11/1
4.Kentucky - email 10/27
5.SUNY Brooklyn - mail 10/1
6.SUMMA - mail 10/6
7.Kresge Eye (Wayne State) - phone call 11/1

Rejections - Ill spare u all (a lot, depressing, but THANK GOD for what i got)

Funny, yesterday your list had 8, one being the University of South Carolina. There was a big argument about them in the "programs that suck" thread. Eastern Virginia was also mentioned, I think.

ZR1 said:
ok just to know, what exactly do you all who are getting all the big time interviews have on ur cv...im just curious as to how much research and stuff like that ppl did....unfortunately i didnt have the opportunity to do as much as i would have liked so im just trying to see how low on the totem pole i am...

BTW i got wait listed to northwestern today, so, as a friendly reminder to all u who get northwestern interviews, make sure u turn them down so that i can get a spot...thanks ;) :cool:

Dude you have 7 interviews (and another guy 14!!!)and you are moping for not getting in high places??? You will definetely match....
I am still hoping for some more invites soon otherwise my chances are slim to none...
I hope people start cancelling of few so that they can leave some to the rest of the pack...

hey fellas,
i'm new to this forum....i've figured it'll either depress you or boost your confidence...i'm taking my chances!
so far i have
UT San Antonio
BU
MCG
USC Columbia
UT Chattanooga

i'm being told that at this point these are too few. any input on any of the programs? i was batch no. 8 for CAS

aankhein said:
hey fellas,
i'm new to this forum....i've figured it'll either depress you or boost your confidence...i'm taking my chances!
so far i have
UT San Antonio
BU
MCG
USC Columbia
UT Chattanooga

i'm being told that at this point these are too few. any input on any of the programs? i was batch no. 8 for CAS

You need, on average, 7-8 interviews to match comfortably. I think you're fine. You only need 2-3 more interviews.

just wanted to give some encouragement to all those late applicants like myself (batch 10).

1. wash u
2. tulane
3. boston u
4. mt. sinai
5. rochester
6. nyu
7. emory
8. albany
9. st. lukes-roosevelt
10. albert einstein
11. wills
12. umdnj

waitlist
oregon

rejected
several (iowa, nyee, scheie/penn) due to lateness, meei, case, ccf, uw, stanford, cpmc, doheny/usc

rjp202 said:
just wanted to give some encouragement to all those late applicants like myself (batch 10). i didn't really start hearing from any programs until this past tuesday. so far:

1. wash u
2. tulane
3. bu
4. mt. sinai
5. rochester
6. nyu
7. emory

waitlist
oregon

rejected
several (iowa, nyee, scheie/penn) due to lateness, meei, case, ccf, uw, stanford, cpmc

How did most rejections arrive? E-mail, phone call, postal?

2020 said:
Funny, yesterday your list had 8, one being the University of South Carolina. There was a big argument about them in the "programs that suck" thread. Eastern Virginia was also mentioned, I think.

Um i still have UofSouthCarolina ... u probably saw where i posted this same thing on another thread...i didnt update this one apparently...im DEFINITELY keeping south carolina, gotta see what the hype is all about...also UT Chatanooga sent invites out, dont know much about them either.

Oh and i dont get whats funny exactly, did u assume i took them off cuz ppl on this forum said it sucked...no way dude,not a chance. And even if ppl say eastern virginia sucks, id rather go and see/find out for myself as well, ALTHOUGH,i do like a heads up just so i have all the info when evaluating each program.

demspawn said:
Dude you have 7 interviews (and another guy 14!!!)and you are moping for not getting in high places??? You will definetely match....
I am still hoping for some more invites soon otherwise my chances are slim to none...
I hope people start cancelling of few so that they can leave some to the rest of the pack...

hey dude, i just started getting most of them this week....hang tight...AND this post i put when i only had 1 or 2 interviews. And i hope i match, just gonna cross my fingers and pray.

Hey, I just heard recently heard back from a few more programs. I'll be interviewing at Eastern Virginia on 12/17, West Virginia U on 12/2, and Georgetown on 11/19.

Just today I got contacted by phone by St Luke's. I didn't get the message until after 5pm though and they didn't say what the interview dates are.

University of Kansas also contacted me by email today, their interviews are one 12/4 and 12/11. They were also kind of annoying by saying I only have 24 hours to respond. Oh well, at least the interviews are on saturdays! I think I'll try for 12/11.

Howard Univ. 12/2 snail mail
Maryland General Hospital/Univ. of Maryland 11/22 or 11/20 phone

flipmode said:
Howard Univ. 12/2 snail mail
Maryland General Hospital/Univ. of Maryland 11/22 or 11/20 phone
Maryland General is a separate program from the University of Maryland. I interviewed at Maryland and I know people who interviewed at Maryland General (where I also applied).

Isn't the Maryland General residency secretary the kindest person on earth? (just kidding) :smuggrin: Anyone else have any experiences with her?

ttt0079 said:
How did most rejections arrive? E-mail, phone call, postal?

most by email or snail mail. others i found out unfortunately by phone while calling to update my application.

rjp202 said:
most by email or snail mail. others i found out unfortunately by phone while calling to update my application.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the limbo of not-many-invites, but no rejections either. I called and made sure that all programs got my application and that my contact info is right. Anyone else in my situation? The silent treatment is unbearable. Seems like I am the ultimate wait list guy here...

ttt0079 said:
Thanks for the reply. I am in the limbo of not-many-invites, but no rejections either. I called and made sure that all programs got my application and that my contact info is right. Anyone else in my situation? The silent treatment is unbearable. Seems like I am the ultimate wait list guy here...

feeling the pain of the waiting game too...

Wash U. vs Emory - any thoughts?