2005 Match - Post info, interview dates, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think the ophthalmology forum is helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 60 98.4%
  • No, please see below for suggestions.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Interview:
U of Arkansas (10/12) email
UAB (10/14) mail
Cincinnati (10/16) mail
UT-Memphis (10/18) phone
Mississippi (10/19) email
Louisville (10/20) mail
Kentucky (10/27) email
Wake Forest (10/28) mail
U of South Carolina (11/3) email
Vanderbilt (11/10) email

Rejected:
THE Ohio State University (10/12) mail
Iowa (10/23) mail
USF (10/29) mail
Wash U (11/5) mail

Members don't see this ad.

vanelo said:
Past deadlines?? If we haven't heard from them yet then we are not going to hear from them EVER?

Not necessarily at all. I heard from Davis a few days after their "deadline." I think some places probably read the little blurb as "you MAY expect a decision about interviews by" not that you WILL.

Maybe that's just what I tell myself to make me feel better though... :D

Heck yeah, just got my first civilian world interview today!

U of Arkansas (Jones eye clinic) - dates for interviews are 11/22 and 12/2

Members don't see this ad :)
Jaded Soul said:
Is anyone else here going to the U Rochester interview this Friday?

How about UTSW? Anyone going there Friday?

university of chicago by phone 10/12 - gave me a date of 12/4

ophtho wannabe said:
Interview:
U of Arkansas (10/12)

Rejected:
THE Ohio State University (10/12)

My record is 1-1 so far.

Rejected via email or letter?

Today was the day they were supposed to give their "notification" but no news as of 2:30 pm....gettin nervous

vanelo said:
Past deadlines?? If we haven't heard from them yet then we are not going to hear from them EVER?

Sure, deadlines aren't definate rejections...but in these two instances they were...Ohio State by letter, Baylor by email.

Gnarley said:
Sure, deadlines aren't definate rejections...but in these two instances they were...Ohio State by letter, Baylor by email.

Oh ya, and Mayo offered interviews today by email... interview dates:

11/8, 12/3, 12/6, & 12/13

Gnarley said:

I have not heard from either Baylor or Ohio State....got first rejection today (Cleveland Clinic Foundation via e-mail 10/13)....good luck to everyone...

Interview at Doheny

Rejection at Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Past Deadline with no news: Baylor and Ohio State

From my previous year's experience Doheny invites came WAY later than mid-October.

Members don't see this ad :)
was this a slow week in terms of interview offers or what? :confused: anyone know which programs sent out interviews this week?

YAGman said:
was this a slow week in terms of interview offers or what? :confused: anyone know which programs sent out interviews this week?

People might have just stopped posting them. I got two more offers this week.

LSU Shrevenport by mail: interviews on 11/6, 12/4, and 12/11.
Oklahoma City by email: interviews available on 11/22, 11/29, 12/6, 12/13

So far I'm 3/3 for in terms of getting interviews, so big thanks to all you people that responded to my "programs that suck" thread with some easy programs to get into!

All I knows is...I got plenty of rejections this week, so I'm happy for the rest of you out there.,,

dammit2 said:
All I knows is...I got plenty of rejections this week, so I'm happy for the rest of you out there.,,

The rejections seem to be abundant lately.
Ophtho just seems too competitive. Boston said 500 apps for 4 spots.
wish they'd at least agree to visit with me though, since the app only tells half the story.
still waiting on a bunch of schools, but the prospects are not great.

shazaadeh said:
Boston said 500 apps for 4 spots.

That's because it takes minimal effort to apply to more programs. Every year, the average number of programs that applicants apply goes up. It past 30 several years ago and it heading toward 40 (or did it pass that already?) With people applying to so many programs, they will be generating a lot of applications.

yeah rejections yay....its quite disheartening cuz im thinking ok, each program has about what, at least 300-400 ppl applying for about 2-4 spots... (AVG)...what on earth is gonna make them give some random guy like me an interview...i mean seriously. unless u have like a 240/250+ im thinking who is gonna even give u a second look. EFF!

Hey all,
I am interviewing at Rochester on October 29th and hate the idea of paying the full price for a room at the hotel they have set up when there are a lot of other people interviewing the same time.
Any males interviewing that day who would feel comfortable sharing a room and splitting the cost?
I plan on staying the nights of the 28th and the 29th.
-M

Hey everyone,

Just got back from UTSW. Great place with a lot of money, good facilities, friendly staff and residents, and tons of surgery. BeefyRedEye gave a good review for last year that is pretty much right on. It's in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=87486.

In addition to what he said, the chairman seems dedicated to having the latest technology -- they're updating their electronic charting system, they have all the latest refractive surgery technology, and they'll be getting a new OCT machine at Parkland (their main, county hospital).

The interviews were chill. A few questions from the PD like "what was the last movie you saw in a theater?", "what has been the most difficult part of your life?", and "what did you learn from that?". Everone asked "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" and/or "why ophtho?" and after that spent the rest of the time selling the program.

Great group of interviewees -- I'd be happy to be a resident with any of them.

Overall I was very impressed and am much more interested in the program after seeing it. Let me know if you've got any other questions.

I'm headed to UWashington on the 29th -- anyone know about the program and/or have any advice for interviewing there? Or about UC Davis??

BTW, slow week for me too. I just heard from Case. A friend of mine heard from Rush in Chicago, and a program near Manhattan (NYMC?).

Jaded Soul said:
Has anyone heard from Oregon or Utah? It's past the notification deadlines for both of those.

My notification form for OHSU says the 15th too, but according to their website they don't send out interviews until the 30th.

I heard from USC (Doheny) today via e-mail

Dates: Nov 5, 12, 19, Dec 3, 10

does anyone have more info about interview formats- what kinds of questions are asked, how formal are the interviews, what to expect??? any help is much appreciated. thanks

Did anyone get a confirmation letter from Doheny?

offer from stanford: 12/3, 12/10, 12/17
off the "alternate list" at davis (yay!) : they only gave me nov 19

(call) -- Dates: 11/16, 11/22, 12/3

PPV said:
I heard from USC today via e-mail

Dates: Nov 5, 12, 19, Dec 3, 10

hey ppv, is that USC south carolina or souther california (doheny)

Jaded Soul said:
Has anyone heard from Oregon or Utah? It's past the notification deadlines for both of those.

Utah told me that the resident selection committee is meeting October 28 (they are all going to Academy next week). They will begin making phone calls on Oct. 29. Oregon has sent out it's rejections. If you haven't heard from them it is because you are either on their invite list, or the "high hold" list. They will let you know by Friday.

Interviews offered today for:
Univ. of Cincinnati - by letter - interviews on 12/2, 12/7, and 12/13.
Univ. of Arizona - by email - interviews on 12/10 and 12/11.
Univ. of Tennessee--Memphis - by phone interviews on 11/17 and 12/10.

I'm guessing this week will be busy with offers and rejections and next week will be slow due to Academy.

Andrew,

Are the Iowa invites by mail, e-mail, or by phone? I'm hoping they were by mail, cause I haven't heard a thing. :( If I do hear something, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you.

cer

Andrew_Doan said:
They went out today I think. We selected people for interview last Thursday. I'm now planning the interview dinner with residents. :thumbup:

Ceremony said:
Andrew,

Are the Iowa invites by mail, e-mail, or by phone? I'm hoping they were by mail, cause I haven't heard a thing. :( If I do hear something, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you.

cer

You get a big envelope with info about the program and Iowa City.

Gnarley said:
Oregon has sent out it's rejections. If you haven't heard from them it is because you are either on their invite list, or the "high hold" list. They will let you know by Friday.

Do you know if Oregon sent rejections by mail or email?

ZR1 said:
hey ppv, is that USC south carolina or souther california (doheny)

Sorry I didn't make it clear... it was Doheny. (I've edited my prior post)

I got an interview from Summa in Akron Ohio today by mail, postmarked Oct 11th (and I won't be cancelling it like Geddy Lee). They didn't give any interview dates on their letter, but according to the sfmatch website the dates are: Nov 5, 12, 19 and Dec 3, 10, and 17 (all subject to change of course).

EDIT: I called today to sched an interview and the only dates still available were 12/3 and 12/10.

so whats the stat for the number of interviews to chances of matching? (ie. if u get 10 interviews ur chances of matching are 80%..)

ZR1 said:
so whats the stat for the number of interviews to chances of matching? (ie. if u get 10 interviews ur chances of matching are 80%..)

I've heard that 8 interviews = 90%+ chance of matching.

Just got an email from MEEI. Interview dates are 11/19, 11/22, and 12/3.

Also got a call today from Scheie. Interview dates 11/22 and 12/3 are left (11/16 is filled).

ok just to know, what exactly do you all who are getting all the big time interviews have on ur cv...im just curious as to how much research and stuff like that ppl did....unfortunately i didnt have the opportunity to do as much as i would have liked so im just trying to see how low on the totem pole i am...

BTW i got wait listed to northwestern today, so, as a friendly reminder to all u who get northwestern interviews, make sure u turn them down so that i can get a spot...thanks ;) :cool:

Univ of Pittsburgh by phone : Nov. 19, 20, 21

I'm new to this board. Hello to everyone. I hope that everyone is having good fortune with their interviews. So far I have heard from 10 programs. 9 interveiws and 1 rejection (damn Cleveland Clinic), with 30 programs that I have yet to hear from.

blackwell said:
my first interview offer - yale (postmarked 9/20)

Anyone hear or know anything about the program at Yale?

IOWA!! Can't wait to meet you Dr. Doan.

Interview dates: 11/19, 12/3, 12/10

Anyone from batch 10 get any interviews yet? In case you're wondering, I know I'm extremely late.

abu barney said:
Anyone from batch 10 get any interviews yet? In case you're wondering, I know I'm extremely late.

I'm from batch 8, and so far I've only heard back from 4 programs

Andrew_Doan said:
Congrats! :thumbup:

Dr. Doan,

Iowa is very selective. Step I and Step II's greater than 265, honors in almost all clinical rotations, from a decent school, and no interview from Iowa. Hopefully I can come for fellowship. :) I'm really excited about ophtho! Thanks for this great website. I really appreciate all the info.

Have a great day!
Congrats to all who are getting all those interviews!

abu barney said:

I'm new here, although I've been reading the posts for a while. Great forum, Dr. Doan and devotees! Although it can be terrifying at times....

To the point: I am in batch 9 :oops: and the interviews have started trickling in. My first correspondence was a big fat "sorry" from UC Davis. What a way to start. Now I have heard from 8 other programs: UWash, Oregon, MEEI, CPMC, Sheie, Stanford, and UArizona, UIowa :) so things are looking better.

Hang on in there, they'll get to your app soon...

Good luck everyone!

goldfisch said:
Dr. Doan,

Iowa is very selective. Step I and Step II's greater than 265, honors in almost all clinical rotations, from a decent school, and no interview from Iowa. Hopefully I can come for fellowship. :) I'm really excited about ophtho! Thanks for this great website. I really appreciate all the info.

Have a great day!
Congrats to all who are getting all those interviews!

Don't feel bad. I wish we could interview 200 people, but we only have 5 spots. The 60 selected for interview make me feel humble and lucky that I matched!

There's a competitive bunch out there. BTW, most of the applicants who applied, including you, will match and will be good ophthalmology residents. Good luck! :luck:

Andrew_Doan said:
Don't feel bad. I wish we could interview 200 people, but we only have 5 spots. The 60 selected for interview make me feel humble and lucky that I matched! :

Did Iowa send out rejections by mail or email? A lot of the programs that have offered interviews I haven't heard from one way or the other and I'm wondering if I'm just on a lot of "hold" lists or something.

odieoh said:
Did Iowa send out rejections by mail or email? A lot of the programs that have offered interviews I haven't heard from one way or the other and I'm wondering if I'm just on a lot of "hold" lists or something.

Iowa sent rejections by mail. There are 10 alternates, so you'll receive a letter eventually.