2023-2024 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What’s the attire for second look day?

Members don't see this ad.

I think financial aid this year will be a bit delayed due to so many FAFSA issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a data point, I have an OOS A that I will likely withdraw, depending on fin aid

Waitlist just now for MD/PURCH. Interview 9/13 and 10/18 or something. IS applicant and this is my top choice -- now time for the wait

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Did you get any active consideration emails between then and now?
Nope, complete silence. Such a long wait, but I am so relieved it wasn’t a straight up R like I expected. I’m pretty sure they aren’t doing AC emails this year (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this schools lack of communication is a huge red flag. I don’t understand how their admissions process can be so convoluted

this schools lack of communication is a huge red flag. I don’t understand how their admissions process can be so convoluted
This is how it appears to me:

- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.

- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants decline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.

Real shady UMass.

Last edited:
OOS interviewed early February. Still haven't heard anything.

• Care
OOS and interviewed in Sept lol, no communication since

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone called admissions? Should I call and bug them, I'm assuming I'm getting the R anyway

- Accept as many OOS applicants as possible, right after their interview. Hope they decide to come here and pay the OOS tuition, so the school can bring in more cash.

- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants delcline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.

Real shady UMass.

They aren’t charging IS students cheaper tuition out of the goodness of their hearts. Being a public school means that the state partially funds the cost for their own state students. In fact, I think they actually receive more money from IS students between the IS tuition and the money from the state. This is the case with all public schools and whether or not they make more money off the IS or OOS will definitely be state specific, but I don’t think the large numbers of OOS A’s are due to a perceived increase in the dollar amount they can receive.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s a mix of the fact that SDN is only anecdotal evidence and that perhaps they want to accept OOS students earlier since they know many IS students will still attend despite a late acceptance due to the fact that it’s a much cheaper option than almost any other school they can go to. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 2 users
Does the state law mandate a specific percentage of IS students admitted to Umass medical school, or is the percentage somewhat flexible?

I believe it’s flexible but I think it’s generally a 70-75% IS and 25-30% OOS mix of matriculants

- Start to accept IS applicants after OOS accepted applicants delcline their offers of admission. This minimizes the amount of students who are paying IS tuition, even if this means 7 months of silence post interview for IS applicants.

Real shady UMass.
Truthfully I've been suspecting that the OOS thing may be more money related than anything, so I've chosen to not take this whole debacle too too personally. The umass systems I'm pretty sure are in billions of dollars of debt.

Whether that's a normal amount for a university system is totally beyond me, and i also don't know about how much state govts Fund IS students and whether OOS students actually give more dollars to the school as @Bowel-Plumber mentioned. But I do suspect that the subsidized tuition given by the state probably won't help pay off the billions of debt that UMass has thevway that OOS tuition may... but I'm a silly linguistics major and have no idea how that stuff works! As @everythingisonfire also mentioned they get TONS of funding so i could totally be talking out of my stressed bootyhole here.

But either way we don't really know what's going on in the adcom side of things. I do echo that the wait and lack of communication has made me less enthusiastic about the school and has lowered my opinion of it, but who knows 🫠 I'm bracing for a third cycle here, so I'd be happy to get in anywhere at this point! I'm assuming it's an R for the sake of my mental health and so I'm not losing sleep over silence, and suggest that others do the same if it's affecting their mental health.

so is it safe to assume they are done sending out decisions today?

Real shady UMass.
As a current student, I can confidently assert that such practices are not characteristic of UMass. Given our status as a public institution, there's a minimum quota for in-state admissions. The silence surrounding your application could stem from various factors. However, if you haven't received a rejection, it's safe to assume your application is still under review.

Many of my classmates and I are joining the Facebook group which is contributing to this increase.
Does the FB group for the Class of 2028 (now 304 members) also include some students from prior years?

Does anyone know how friendly UMass is with giving scholarships or extra-funding? especially for those with OOS tuition rates

Does anyone know how friendly UMass is with giving scholarships or extra-funding? especially for those with OOS tuition rates
I called financial aid recently and she basically told me to expect nothing as an OOS student. They have little need based institutional aid to give out and I think most of it goes to IS students. Your situation might vary though, it depends on your parents income as well.

I called financial aid recently and she basically told me to expect nothing as an OOS student. They have little need based institutional aid to give out and I think most of it goes to IS students. Your situation might vary though, it depends on your parents income as well.

thank you!

Did she mention if there's any merit aid available/if that has gone out already?

Did she mention if there's any merit aid available/if that has gone out already?
They haven’t sent out anything yet because of the FAFSA delays. She said maybe mid April.

She has office hours every week, and is very nice and helpful. I’d recommend hopping on and asking her any questions you have. It’s 1 on 1 so you can ask anything you want.

They haven’t sent out anything yet because of the FAFSA delays. She said maybe mid April.

She has office hours every week, and is very nice and helpful. I’d recommend hopping on and asking her any questions you have. It’s 1 on 1 so you can ask anything you want.

Agreed, she has been really nice and amazing to talk to whenever I hopped on the Zoom

This doesn't include loans though right? Not sure how I'll be able to fund medical school without student loans... 😅

IS wl yesterday… I’m loosing hope. Still waiting on 2 other schools but have been radio silent since II. I am already thinking about reapplying

IS WL from last Fri interviewed Feb 27

In case anyone was going to ask, 2nd look is strictly open for those with As and they’re not letting willing WLs attend. The second look is apparently happening this Thurs/fri.

since second look is this week, should we just assume an R if we haven't gotten a WL yet? Seems strange to have pending decisions after a second look? crossing my fingers for this school but losing hope lol

I second this. I had an interview with UMass a few weeks ago and they said that many students wouldn’t hear ahead of the Second Look. They said they were thinking about having an additional Second Look, considering the amount of applications still up for review.

As a current student, I can confidently assert that such practices are not characteristic of UMass. Given our status as a public institution, there's a minimum quota for in-state admissions. The silence surrounding your application could stem from various factors. However, if you haven't received a rejection, it's safe to assume your application is still under review.
Current student as well, and I agree. The change in environment from the application phase in general to being an actual student as UMass is night and day.

Personally thought I was going to have to do everything by myself like I did in undergrad, but I've only received immense amounts of support from my mentors and faculty. Legit one of the most wholesome places I've been apart of, and I really do mean that.

• Love
Sigh I am starting to lose my mind. Interviewed early January, sent a LOI 2-3 weeks ago. Mentally preparing for an R but hoping for a WL.